Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,807 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:15 AM

Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation (15617 Views)

EXPLOSIVE!!! Secret 1914 Amalgamation Document Finally EXPOSED (PHOTOS) / Nigeria’s 1914 Amalgamation Has Expired, Says Ijaw Congress / 1914 Amalgamation - A Historical Mistake? : Nairaland Political Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 4:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Often times, we blame Sir Frederick Lugard for causing the problem in Nigeria by amalgamating Protectorate of Northern Nigeria with Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria in 1914 but that was not actually the root of the problem. The root of the problem dates back a few years in 1906 when Colony of Lagos was amalgamated with Protectorate of Southern Nigeria by Sir Walter Egerton to form the infamous Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

Before this infamous amalgamation in 1906, the present SE and SS (including Edo) had nothing to do with the SW. It was Sir Walter Egerton that started using the resources of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria to develop Yoruba land after he moved the capital from Calabar to Lagos in the same year. The once booming Southern Nigeria or call it Niger Coast Protectorate started losing its steam.

So Sir Frederick Lugard was not the problem. Sir Walter Egerton caused our problem and we will revert it.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
The talk of Southern Nigeria is a farce! Colony of Lagos was not part of Southern Nigeria.

Southern Nigeria includes only SE and SS and that's why we have always seen a common ground in so many issues from being overwhelmly in a common party NCNC to voting jointly for resource control in 1995 National Political Reform Conference. Every indices points to the fact that the peoples of Southern Nigeria and the people of Colony of Lagos have a strong ideological divide that can NEVER be bridged. We have to make this honest distinction in going forward.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/799572_Countries_in_Nigeria_1900_pngae5a5c9931b6bc3903a8e6d3854bdde5

2 Likes

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by tubolancer(m): 5:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
Continue to blame people for your woes...
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: Often times, we blame Sir Frederick Lugard for causing the problem in Nigeria by amalgamating Protectorate of Northern Nigeria with Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria in 1914 but that was not actually the root of the problem. The root of the problem dates back a few years in 1906 when Colony of Lagos was amalgamated with Protectorate of Southern Nigeria by Sir Walter Egerton to form the infamous Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

Before this infamous amalgamation in 1906, the present SE and SS (including Edo) had nothing to do with the SW. It was Sir Walter Egerton that started using the resources of the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria to develop Yoruba land after he moved the capital from Calabar to Lagos in the same year. The once booming Southern Nigeria or call it Niger Coast Protectorate started losing its steam.

So Sir Frederick Lugard was not the problem. Sir Walter Egerton caused our problem and we will revert it.

Yeah, but twice after that the SE had the opportunity to extricate themselves peacefully, what did they do?

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
The revisionists are back !!

4 Likes

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 5:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
ilugunboy: The revisionists are back !!

... and who is a revisionist?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 5:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
I thought the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria did include the SW expect for Lagos. The Colony of Lagos was not the entire SW but on the city of Lagos and the area around it.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH: I thought the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria did include the SW expect for Lagos. The Colony of Lagos was not the entire SW but on the city of Lagos and the area around it.

No it does not include SW. The Colony of Lagos covers SW.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 5:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

No your wrong, the south west was part of the Royal Niger Company after the British captured the area. The Royal Niger Company was later merge with the Niger Coast Protectorate to form the Southern Nigeria Protectorate in 1900. The colony of lagos only included the lagos area and not the entire SW.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

You don't know what you are talking about. There was the colony of Lagos and protectorate of Southern Nigeria.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 5:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
Aigbofa:

You don't know what you are talking about. There was the colony of Lagos and protectorate of Southern Nigeria.

Yes there was Colony of Lagos and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, Colony of Lagos is the present day SW while Protectorate of Southern Nigeria is SE/SS.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 6:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

No your wrong, the south west was part of the Royal Niger Company after the British captured the area. The Royal Niger Company was later merge with the Niger Coast Protectorate to form the Southern Nigeria Protectorate in 1900. The colony of lagos only included the lagos area and not the entire SW.

The Protectorate of Southern Nigeria includes the areas once under Royal Niger Company and Niger Coast Protectorate and never included the present day SW.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by kunlekunle: 6:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1: The talk of Southern Nigeria is a farce! Colony of Lagos was not part of Southern Nigeria.

Southern Nigeria includes only SE and SS and that's why we have always seen a common ground in so many issues from being overwhelmly in a common party NCNC to voting jointly for resources control in 1995 National Political Reform Conference. Every indices points to the fact that the peoples of Southern Nigeria and the people of Colony of Lagos have a strong ideological divide that can NEVER be bridged. We have to make this honest distinction in going forward.

SE,SS, SW are neo political zonal creation during Abacha days.
i never heard of SS, SE or SW in my school days.

in the beginning it was West, mid west East, north . West and East were the southern nigeria.

Obiagu1:

lagos colony ends at jibowu round about.

Western and Eastern nigeria was formed for economic integration and development to create a southern nigeria.
Northern and southern nigeria was formed because the north had to be subsidised annually from the british govt.This was seen as a stress on their budget so the amalgamation was created to relief the british govt.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Afam4eva(m): 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH: I thought the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria did include the SW expect for Lagos. The Colony of Lagos was not the entire SW but on the city of Lagos and the area around it.
You're right.

@Obiagu1
The colony of Lagos included just lagos and not the south-west. Infact, for a long time, Lagos was run as a seperate region from the rest of southern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
^^^

Didn't you see the map?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 6:16pm On Aug 15, 2012
"Territorially speaking the Lagos Protectorate was approximately the same as what came to be known as the Western Region of Nigeria except that some parts of the Owo division were in the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria until the administrative merger of 1906" Afigbo & Falola 2005.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 15, 2012
1905, 1914 are old past years.

What are we doing now? Cant we correct the mistakes of those over zealous colonialists?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 6:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
"After two final incidents, the bombardment of Oyo in 1895 (Ayandele, 1967) and the capture of Ilorin by the Royal Niger Company in 1897, effective colonial control was established throughout most of Yorubaland."

http://www.onwar.com/aced/nation/ink/ibadan/fwestafricanwar1877.htm

This is the same Royal niger company that also controls much of southern nigeria
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 6:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH: "After two final incidents, the bombardment of Oyo in 1895 (Ayandele, 1967) and the capture of Ilorin by the Royal Niger Company in 1897, effective colonial control was established throughout most of Yorubaland."

http://www.onwar.com/aced/nation/ink/ibadan/fwestafricanwar1877.htm

This is the same Royal niger company that also controls much of southern nigeria

Is Ilorin part of Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria undecided
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 6:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Is Ilorin part of Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria undecided

No, the point of that quote was to show you that the British (Royal Niger Company) did control all of yorubaland and that the Colony of Lagos was only limited to Lagos.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by odumchi: 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hmmm.

I blame those that didn't side with the anti-European groups in their area. If all of the states in the lower Niger area had united against the British, we wouldn't even be discussing this now.

We should've followed the Ethiopian example.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 6:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

No, the point of that quote was to show you that the British did control all of yorubaland and that the Colony of Lagos was only limited to Lagos.

You're just twisting history.

When you say Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, you are only talking about SS/SE that was so named from Niger Coast Protectorate and the remaining part of Royal Niger Company to be handed over to Niger Coast Protectorate. See map above.

When you say Colony of Lagos, you are talking about SW or Yorubaland and not just Lagos. Also see map above.

When you say Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, then you are talking about Southern Nigeria (SS/SE) and Colony of Lagos (SW).
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

You're just twisting history.

When you say Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, you are only talking about SS/SE that was so named from Niger Coast Protectorate and the remaining part of Royal Niger Company to be handed over to Niger Coast Protectorate. See map above.

When you say Colony of Lagos, you are talking about SW or Yorubaland and not just Lagos. Also see map above.

When you say Colony and Protectorate of Southern Nigeria, then you are talking about Southern Nigeria (SS/SE) and Colony of Lagos (SW).

How I'm i mixing things up? To Simplify....

Southern Nigeria Protectorate = Merge between Niger Coast Protectorate and Royal Niger Company

Royal Niger Company = current day SW,SE and parts of SS

Niger Coast Protectorate = Parts of SS (Bayelsa and rivers area)

Lagos Colony = City of Lagos and land around it

Also your map doesn't show any inland territorial borders?
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by ektbear: 7:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
lol
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 7:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

How I'm i mixing things up? To Simplify....

Southern Nigeria Protectorate = Merge between Niger Coast Protectorate and Royal Niger Company

Royal Niger Company = current day SW,SE and parts of SS

Niger Coast Protectorate = Parts of SS (Bayelsa and rivers area)

Lagos Colony = City of Lagos and land around it

Also your map doesn't show any inland territorial borders?

Stop grasping at straws, you are not part of Southern Nigeria Protectorate!
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 7:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
"Territorially speaking the Lagos Protectorate was approximately the same as what came to be known as the Western Region of Nigeria except that some parts of the Owo division were in the Protectorate of Southern Nigeria until the administrative merger of 1906" Afigbo & Falola 2005.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Remii(m): 7:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
This is another map

Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

Stop grasping at straws, you are not part of Southern Nigeria Protectorate!

Um i'm not yuroba, I'm esan. Anyway I think the main focus of this argument is what amount of land the colony of lagos covered, and I read a few articles that conflict each other.

I think some of the articles may have been confusing the colony and protectorate of souther nigeria with the protectorate of southern nigeria they may have been
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
GAR3TH:

Um i'm not yuroba, I'm esan. Anyway I think the main focus of this argument is what amount of land the colony of lagos covered, and I read a few articles that conflict each other.

See a new map above your post. (Thanks Remii for the map, I've been looking for it smiley)

The disunity we have been facing was caused by losing control of our territory to people faraway in Lagos and we seem not to agree with each other on several issues hence the constant betrayal of resource control by the people of Colony of Lagos.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by Obiagu1(m): 8:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
This means that the Colony of Lagos people or Yoruba people were not originally Southern Nigerians and could be likened to Southern Camerounians. They were attached to us to milk us dry.
Re: Don't Blame 1914 Amalgamation Rather Blame 1906 Amalgamation by GAR3TH(m): 8:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
Obiagu1:

See a new map above your post. (Thanks Remii for the map, I've been looking for it smiley)

Yes I saw that map on an article on Nigeria Village Square. Other articles kept mentioning the colony and protectorate of S.Nigeria as the Protectorate of S.Nigeria, Hence the bit of confusion on my part. Also The Royal Niger Company owned land in the SE, SS, SW, and parts of northern Nigeria but only the land in the SS and SE were merge, another reason for the confusion. But to say the colony of lagos is a parasite is misleading, the Main reason the British colonized Lagos was because of the port and the economy.

Also based on your argument wont it be the Amalgamation of 1900 be the blame. Since the Niger Coast Protectorate (oil producing SS) who produced the oil and the Royal Niger Company (SE & Non oil producing parts of SS) didn't? So technically going by your logic its the Royal Niger Company (SE & part of SS) who are also the parasites....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Buhari To Address The UN General Assembly Shortly / Abusive Appointments At Federal Character Commission - Vanguard Editorial / Army: IPOB/ESN Responsible For Arson, Killings In Southeast

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.