Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) (2467 Views)

Debt From Home. ( a killer's instinct) / How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (II) / How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by Oxygenmat(m): 5:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I)

Written by: Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin*

You have most likely read engaging, page-turning articles before and marvelled at, or be intimidated by, the exceptional genius and language-mastery expertise with which the writer crafted the piece. You might have taken the essayist for a wizard – one whose talent and skills you do not possess and may never develop – but wait a while: you might be mistaken! What if I tell you the gimmicks behind such fantastic introductory pieces can be learnt, and mastered, too? What if you could be taught the practical, step-by-step secrets to write as good as, nay, better than that? Learning to write such opening attention-grabbers is possible. It always has been; always will be, and below is how.

The essence of the introduction is to provide background information. Your motive is to convince the reader that the piece is worth his precious and limited time. If you cannot make him feel he would be missing a lot by omitting to read on, then your introduction isn’t effective. Your opening statement should be enthralling; it should be capable of arresting the interest of the reader. The first paragraph is the most important paragraph of any type of writing because most readers stop if the first paragraph does not grab their interests. There are a number of ways in which you can achieve this:

1. Use a striking contrast that leaves your reader’s eyes glued to your write-up. This entails presenting facts that conspicuously contradict one another; facts your readers or any sane person at that would believe shouldn’t co-exist. Consider these suggested opening sentences for different issues in Nigeria:

A. Poverty: Although Nigeria is the top exporter of crude oil in West Africa and the kitchen allowance of the presidency in the 2012 budget signed into law on March 15, 2012 is a staggering N1 billion Naira, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) found in January, 2012 that 112 million Nigerians constituting 61.9% live on less than 1 dollar (about N155) per day.

(NB: the abundant wealth of the nation and the staggering feeding allowance of the presidency are sharply compared with the abject penury of the teeming population).

B. Insecurity: In the 2012 budget signed into law on the 15th day of March, 2012, a whopping 25% of the planned spendings of government is allocated to security; yet, terrorism, insecurity, wanton wastage of lives and indiscriminate spillage of innocent blood are commonplace.

(NB: the incredibly-high sums invested in security makes a distinctive contradistinction with the gross escalation of criminal acts).

2. Use an important statistics that’s so outrageous and incredible as to turn your reader into a doubting Thomas. Hook him with a feeling of “Wow! I never knew the situation’s that bad!”But this is not a license for you to make a bogus claim! So, work this out only with facts and figures. For instance:

A. Polio: In 2008, the World Health Organization (WHO) found that northern Nigeria is the largest reservoir of the dreaded bone-crippling disease, polio in the world.

D. Poverty: The World Health Organization (WHO) in its International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems declared that extreme poverty is a behavioural disease, showing that the 112 million Nigerians who live on less than a dollar each day are ‘insane’.

This piece is part of a series. Please check back for the second part. Till then, it’s not good bye, but see you again. Please keep learning and winning. To write is right and to win is no sin. Use your writings to do the right things.

*Muhammed Abdullahi Tosin is a professional Nigerian freelance writer and the CEO of Naija Writers’ Coach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to Naija Writers’ Coach (www.NaijaWritersCoach.) by email to receive regular updates, like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/NaijaWritersCoach) or follow us on Twitter (NWC12).
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by Basic(m): 10:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nice one man. I'm a freelance writer too, and I'll like us to get closer in order to share ideas and tips. I believe we can learn a lot from each other. What's your email address? Or better still, your phone number?
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by Oxygenmat(m): 11:22pm On Aug 17, 2012
Hello pal,
Thanks for your interest. You may contact me on mabtocomworld@yahoo.com. Warmest regards.
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 11, 2019
Look here https://order-essay-online.net/blog/dream-house-essay if you are interested in an academic paper writing.
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by ColbyJr: 11:50am On Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for this list but I found few mistakes on your topic. If you can't write an essay on your own try free essay database or ask help of your friends (if you sure in their knowledge, of course). Some folks use https://studymoose.com/ for that matter and I think that it's not a bad idea if you can't ask professional near you. Few sentences (even words!) could change all message completely, so you need to be careful when you write an essay introduction. Who have any ideas about that? Please write a comment below.
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by jamessw: 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2020
I wonder if I can use your service to buy coursework. I don't have time to write it myself. Can you help me?
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by Manicopus: 11:56pm On Dec 30, 2020
Nice, I remember how I was supposed to write an essay on this subject, so everyone should think about how to write an essay without much trouble and difficulty. This will be very positive and will allow every student and schoolboy to do it fast and leave more time to make something useful and interesting. So make sure you know how to write a scholarship essay https://pro-essay-writer.com/ . I could help, it's nice to write a cool essay that even I was sent to the Olympics. I could really help. It's a really decent standard, I believe. I hope I have been able to contribute, good luck.
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by OliviaNell: 11:44am On Feb 25, 2021
This is especially important for students, since a scholarship or continuing studies at the university may be at stake. If you contact the medical writing service to order the final essay urgently, you can be sure that real professionals will take up the matter.
Re: How To Craft A Killer Essay Introduction (I) by alvarooo: 3:23pm On Feb 25, 2021
Sometimes you need to write a good essay in a limited amount of time, such as on the second part of the Unified State Exam in Russian at school. Other times, time may be limited simply because you put off homework until the last minute or remembered an essay or essay at the very last moment. Although a hastily written essay will almost never compare to one that you take more time to write, composing a decent text quickly is doable. With the right approach to planning and enough hard work, you will always be able to write a relatively good (or fairly decent) essay, even in a short time.
Think about the purpose of your essay. Chances are, your teacher has already given you a specific essay topic, but even if they haven't, you should think about the main purpose of your essay first, and then start to gather arguments about your chosen topic. It is this kind of preliminary preparation of various ideas that will not only guide you on your way to further gathering information, but it will also help speed up your work.
Make sure you understand your own goal! If you prepare a summary text instead of an "analysis," you are unlikely to get a good grade.
If you don't have a specific topic in mind, consider contacting this service [url]thelegitessay.com[/url] . If you work on a topic that interests you, you will have a better chance of writing a good essay.
Prepare your arguments or thesis statements on the topic. Arguments and thesis statements are your statements that you will substantiate in your essay with certain evidence and analysis. Prepare your own arguments so that you can build your research on the topic and accelerate your essay process.
If your knowledge of the topic is not very broad, you may need to consult. But even then, you should prepare them, and then use your research to confirm or refute the points you wanted to make.
A good technique for quickly figuring out the main purpose of the essay and the arguments for it is to write the following for yourself: "I am researching (specify the topic chosen) because I want to learn (specify exactly what you want to know) in order to demonstrate (list the arguments here)."
For example: "I am studying medieval witch trials because I want to know what evidence the lawyers of those times used in such cases to demonstrate how those events have influenced modern medicine and jurisprudence."
To make your essay or essay more persuasive, be sure to consider the counterarguments as well.

(1) (Reply)

Doctor Secrets . . . / Mills & Boon Goes Hardcore! / The Mafia Manager: A Guide To The Corporate Machiavelli By V.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.