Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation (11439 Views)

Woman Flees Nigeria To Canada To Escape FGM / Ibeyi Talk About Their Yoruba Heritage In A New Interview / Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 17, 2012
JallowBah:

I have met muslim med who say they are not 100% aure if the women was cut or not, die to the fact that some only cut the part of the inner lips that hang outside for example, and nothing else. Some women are born like that natural as well, so for them to see the difference..

The worst one is of course the one where they only leave a small whole. And I do believe that that one is not the one they use the
most..

Some cut the clit and sew the inner lips so the girl can't have sex before marriage. During the wedding night, she has to call an old woman to " tear" her with a hot knife and she has to have sex immediately after that otherwise the wound would close. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
^^OMG!! That's terrible! cry cry
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 17, 2012
More than terrible. Some tribes think that a woman not excised is impure , so they shall not shake hands with her or eat something she cooked .

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 10:23pm On Aug 17, 2012
That one is the worst..they have a small, small hole to bleed through as well, and for the first night they need to be cut, and for giving birth as well..
It makes my stomach pain to think about the fact that many women have to go through all these things. Its insane.

Culture is NOT always a good thing.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 12:09am On Aug 18, 2012
Lol, majority of women in this forum have had their punny cut cheesy
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 12:53am On Aug 18, 2012
kandiikane: Lol, majority of women in this forum have had their punny cut cheesy

Basic Statistics
- Nigeria has a projected population of 126 million
- Total female population 61.5 million
- Female population 10years and above 44.9 million
- Female population married aged 10years and above 29.7 million
Prevalence of FGM among adult women by geo – political zones
North East 1.3 per cent
North Central 9.6 per cent
North West 0.4per cent
South West 56.9 per cent
South East 40.8 per cent
South South 34.7 per cent
Source: Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey: 2003
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:26am On Aug 18, 2012
JallowBah:

Basic Statistics
- Nigeria has a projected population of 126 million
- Total female population 61.5 million
- Female population 10years and above 44.9 million
- Female population married aged 10years and above 29.7 million
Prevalence of FGM among adult women by geo – political zones
North East 1.3 per cent
North Central 9.6 per cent
North West 0.4per cent
South West 56.9 per cent
South East 40.8 per cent
South South 34.7 per cent
Source: Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey: 2003
Didn't know it was that spread . Wonder where this tradition comes from...
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 1:31am On Aug 18, 2012
thiendella:

Ancient egyptians use to perform fgm.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by JallowBah(f): 8:36am On Aug 18, 2012
thiendella:

I do trust the african countries to have changed some of this in almost 10 years.
They say it comes from Egypt, yes, that that was were it started.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 18, 2012
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2012
Royal, did you have to? undecided

Ohh, I thought you posted a video of the actual cutting. tongue
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 18, 2012
kandiikane: Royal, did you have to? undecided
Exactly what I wanted to ask , it's grosss lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
kandiikane:

Ancient egyptians use to perform fgm.

OKKKKKK
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 18, 2012
JallowBah:

I do trust the african countries to have changed some of this in almost 10 years.
They say it comes from Egypt, yes, that that was were it started.

Have a friend who is in college with me, she was cut and says that she will do the same to her children
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 12:58pm On Aug 18, 2012
Many that have been cut will still cut their children because it's something they see in their culture. Many don't even know why they cut.

Preventing the girl from becoming promicious or sex before marriage and also back then only men were meant to enjoy sex. Still, doesn't stop these girls from having sex and enjoying sex.

Foolish tradition.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by anonymous6(f): 1:09pm On Aug 18, 2012
JallowBah: I knows that FGM takes place in many, many african countries.
The reason I put this under culture, not religion, is because it does not belong to a religion. It is, yes, mainly muslims who perform this now, but this has to do with culture, not religion.

( Taken from Wikipedia, the easiest acess. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FGC_Types.svg - Pictures, drawings, of the different kinds.

What is peoples takes on this in Narialand? Is this going on in YOUR country? Has it been done to you? Would you do it on your child?
WHat if you husband/wifes family wish to do it on your daughter? And what if they DID, without your agreement?

As some know, my husband is from Gambia. FGM is still going on down there, but more awereness and teachings about how it can affect women, has made more and more turn away from it. It is not written in the quran, or the bible, to perform FGM.
If someone did this to my child..I would try to kill everyone involved. I would report them all to the police, both in Gambia, and in Norway. I would contact the embassy, I would do everything to destroy both the people who did it, and also the goverment for letting this continue.
I have already told the women in my husband family that if they perform this on any girls in our family, I will cut them off. They will never recieve any financial help from me or my husband again, and they will never see us again either. I just pray and hope that they turn away from it as well..if anyone lay a hand on my daughter..Off.

It is barbaric, and it need to stop.

I don't agree with this backwards stone age act, and never will participate in it
In Nigeria it doesn't happen to much(since the majority of Nigerians are not doing it), you'll mostly see these cases in remote rural places, not in cities in Nigeria.

Most don't even know why they still do it, and when they have a explanation it is one of the most ridiculous explanation for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLD_dnUfqk0
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 18, 2012
The same people getting sympathetic for FGM on little girls are the same Ignorant people who co-signed the Torturous Political Prisons Of Homosexxxuals

I do not know why someone would utter it does not happen much in Nigeria

http://www.unicef.org/nigeria/FGM_.pdf

Barbaric Backwards Behavior can't be condemned one minute, then outwardly praised the Next.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Royal~:
The same people getting sympathetic for FGM on little girls are the same Ignorant people who co-signed the Torturous Political Prisons Of Homosexxxuals

I do not know why someone would utter it does not happen much in Nigeria

http://www.unicef.org/nigeria/FGM_.pdf

Barbaric Backwards Behavior can't be condemned one minute, then outwardly praised the Next.

TNH...lol.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2012
Yup tongue

I think this act is Barbaric, but these people need to learn how to progress on there on terms, it should not be forced by outside influences.

You can't "force" Progression.

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2012
In some countries they clut the clit and then sew up the vagina loooooool! lipsrsealed

*Looking.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sewing Up Vajina's ....This is disgusting

Much of this comes down to the lack of "Value" placed on a Woman in these regions

Ever since ancient times women have been perceived "Lower" and inferior than a Man.

These People refuse to Progress

..It is What it Is.

@MsDark, why you edit your "Here this niqqah go" line..lol
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Royal~:
[font=times]Yup tongue

I think this act is Barbaric, but these people need to learn how to progress on there on terms, it should not be forced by outside influences.

You can't "force" Progression.

[font=times]

I once heard a sympathizer of those who support the act say that if more western women recieved such treatment it will lower their promiscuous tendancies....as they wont be able to enjoy sex like their male counterparts.

Smh....in otherwords sex is meant for men only. Its ok to be a wh0re as long as you carry two bag loads of sp3rm and testosterone lol.

What makes this even worse is some of the women support this. I read of an event in a rural town in Sierra Leone where the women would beat and threaten severe punishment on,repatriates or home grown woman wh advocate to end FGM in that part of SL.

Crazy and barbaric. Maybe I am westernized but I can't get down with this sickness.

3 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 2:00pm On Aug 18, 2012
MsDarkSkin: In some countries they clut the clit and then sew up the vagina loooooool! lipsrsealed

*Looking.

^did they cut your clit and sewed it up? cheesy

Royal, stop chatting bullshyt! 'These people'? What people? What you think only africans perform fgm?

I find the act barbaric but don't sit on your azz an act as if it's in africa where you get women treated as inferior. That shyt happens everywhere.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
kandiikane:

^did they cut your clit and sewed it up? cheesy

Royal, stop chatting bullshyt! 'These people'? What people? What you think only africans perform fgm?

I find the act barbaric but don't sit on your azz an act as if it's in african where you get women treated as inferior. That shyt happens everywhere£

Read my post and stop embarrassing yourself tongue
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Royal~:
Sewing Up Vajina's ....This is disgusting

Much of this comes down to the lack of "Value" placed on a Woman in these regions

Ever since ancient times women have been perceived "Lower" and inferior than a Man.

These People refuse to Progress

..It is What it Is.

Spot on!
And it's a shame. These women are considered nothing more than tribal property plain and simple.

@MsDark, why you edit your "Here this niqqah go" line..lol

stay callin me out....lol.

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Royal~:

Read my post and stop embarrassing yourself tongue

Shattap and go eat azz. All your comments where referred to Africans especially the homosexual issue.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
@kandii nope.

The only way any mofo will ever do that is if I tear during childbirth. tongue

I dont have to worry about wearing physical reminders between my thighs that I am inferior....

Thank heavens.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
Kill that African Insecure complex pity party boolshid and read the post.

You do this nonsense in every thread

You can't understand me so you bring every discussion back to Race

If i post a gorilla...it's suddenly about "Race"...

No you fool...

It's about lack of intelligence.

"These Regions" clearly have words that allude to a Mentality

A Mentality is not location specific.

Kill that Noise Fam. cool

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 2:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
~Royal~:
Kill that African Insecure complex pity party boolshid and read the post.

You do this nonsense in every thread

You can't understand me so you bring every discussion back to Race

If i post a gorilla...it's suddenly about "Race"...

No you fool...

It's about lack of intelligence.

"These Regions" clearly have words that allude to a Mentality

A Mentality is not location specific.

Kill that Noise Fam. cool

Nigga, stop chatting shyt and go take your pills. Was the homosexual comment not referring to Africans who treat gays in a barbaric manner?

Again, stop chatting shyt you know exactly who you were referring to.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2012
I love and cant stand royal sometimes for the exact same reason.

He will know he is pissing you off and,then use "big words" or certain phrases to further piss you off grin

I think this fo0l studies psychology.
Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 18, 2012
The Gay Comment was Alluding to an Individual Person writing in this thread. Not All Africans, that particular cooon knows who she is.

There were "Africans" in that same thread defending Gay People.

Now make sure that Twaatt Nice and Funky for Later Tonight when i get Home.

You damn Muslim Women always Sass Mouthing Me.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation by kandiikane(m): 2:14pm On Aug 18, 2012
I doubt anyone can understand royal, he can make good points but then ramble on and phuck it up.

Some bipolar shyt.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo And Yoruba Women Who Has Best Way Of Dressing / What Does Ur Native Name Means? / The Authentic Origin Of Man And The Universe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.