Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

“I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 (15131 Views)

5 Months As A Governor, I Am Already Tired - El Rufai / Buhari Admonishes CBN Governor For Bringing Jim Ovia To Washington DC Dinner / Who Is The Best Governor For The 2007-2011 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

“I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by dotcomnamename: 2:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
“I removed a governor for stealing N300,000, but you cannot remove them for stealing N3 billion” ~ IBB

Former military president, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, has dismissed insinuations that his regime institutionalised corruption and declared that the scourge is more rampant today than in his time.

The general, who is 71 today, was speaking to reporters at an interactive session on the eve of his birthday in his Hilltop residence in Minna yesterday.

“Some people said I institutionalised corruption but I remember I removed a governor for stealing N300,000, but now you cannot remove them even for stealing N3 billion,” the general remarked, noting that those still accusing him of alleged corruption 22 years after he left office were neither realistic nor fair to him.

The former military president who also stated “I managed poverty but some people managed affluence” said he will continue to respect the late human rights lawyer and advocate Chief Gani Fawehinmi because he did all his criticism as a legal luminary “and you always learnt one thing from him.”

Commenting on the prevailing security challenges, including the potential threat by the Boko Haram, IBB said it is a passing phase, insisting that the development will not disintegrate the country.

He added that people should be sincere and accept that President Goodluck Jonathan needed support of every Nigerian.
When asked whether he was hopeful that the nation will remain the same in the face of the Boko Haram and other challenges, Babangida said “Positive! Yes, you know why? When I was growing up I was involved in so many things in this country which border on the stability of this country.

From 1963 to 1993, when I left office, I was involved in many things. We also saw many things like Tiv riot and civil war. It went on like that because we are a ‘developing’ country, so it went through and is still going through. I participated in virtually every operation from 1964 till I left office. I am sensible enough to know that we have to go through this.”

The former military president said what is happening in Nigeria is a passing phase in the history of every developing nation, saying that it is instructive to note that all the leaders of developing nations are always aware of the challenges.

He also stated that it was his belief that unlike his own generation, the younger generations have more things that will make them bond together easily and he could see the younger generation achieving unity at least 50 years.

“I don’t think that we are likely going again into civil war despite all that is happening. I am not sure that your generation may like to go through what we went through,” IBB remarked adding that hope for keeping Nigeria one lays in the hands of the common man and not the elite and media who he claimed were unnecessarily sensational about issues that could easily be resolved through dialogue.

The former military president said the common man has never been involved in the “if you cannot get it you find a reason to spoil it” syndrome.

He explained that his coming together with his “Boss” former president Olusegun Obasanjo was the best they could do at the moment because “when me and my Boss Obasanjo issued a joint statement we proffered our solution, it is laziness for somebody to sit down and ask what did we do. Fine, we were there when it started but we should not be deprived of the right to make a contribution, what President Jonathan needs is support and that is what we are giving him”.

He said what he shared in common with former President Obasanjo was a passion for a united Nigeria. “I can tell you that if there is somebody committed to the unity of Nigeria that person is my Boss OBJ”.

IBB therefore said: “I plead with all of us to live with one another in peace, that is the only way we can move forward. The country has a lot of potential, what we need to do is to try to live in peace with one another, we can channel this virtue of ours towards achieving a great country.”

On his feud with Edwin Clark he said “Chief Edwin Clark is my friend. I have known him for over 30 years, there is mutual respect between us, he will not deny me as his friend. The media might have heightened it.”

On the state police debate, IBB supported the idea of state police that will operate within the confines of a given law saying that in the 50s and 60s there was state police but “they said it was used to molest political opponents”.

He said he wondered why the fear of state police continues to persist, saying “left to me the purpose of government is security, the fears that governors will use the state police is unfounded”.

Commenting on why he left the late General Sani Abacha behind in 1993 when he was stepping aside, Babangida said that he left him behind to strengthen the interim government and not for any ulterior motive, saying that what happened after that was another story entirely.

http://ireporterstv.com/i-removed-a-governor-for-stealing-n300000-but-you-cannot-remove-them-for-stealing-n3-billion-ibb/

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by adamscuti(m): 10:15am On Aug 18, 2012
IBB pls shut ur dirty mouth up. Is becos of u d naira lost it's value! U have done more harm than good in 9ja and rememba d M.K.O abiola and sani abacha saga,u were behind it.

5 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Sealeddeal(m): 10:17am On Aug 18, 2012
There is no such thing as institutionalising corruptio by anybody.anybody dat think IBB is the cause of corruption in leadership of nigeria is wrong.IBB is right to say dat oda govt has come up after him and i think its the failure of such govt dat IBB.IBB was corrupt bt his corruption cant be serving a justification of corruption for the leadership after him.

3 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by logica(m): 10:20am On Aug 18, 2012
Sealeddeal: There is no such thing as institutionalising corruptio by anybody.anybody dat think IBB is the cause of corruption in leadership of nigeria is wrong.IBB is right to say dat oda govt has come up after him and i think its the failure of such govt dat IBB.IBB was corrupt bt his corruption cant be serving a justification of corruption for the leadership after him.
If you are smart, you will know it's easier to destroy than to rebuild.

@IBB Of course you removed the governor that stole 300k. He either didn't give your cut or didn't carry you along at all.

8 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 18, 2012
IBB fine no be small! Even at 71 he still looks charming. Abeg has he remarried? Am very much interested to be his wife. grin

6 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 18, 2012
hmm.. boko haram don make dis man commot for press retirement.. abi na senility as Clark talk am.. Efripody don dey fear..
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by floriana(m): 10:26am On Aug 18, 2012
Who was the governor: David Mark?
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by IbKabasa1(m): 10:26am On Aug 18, 2012
I.b.b ....see who is talking....ur govt was shop i shop...wen did u started fighting corruption. Idiot......fool
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 18, 2012
For once, our president with 15 Ensuite Rooms from the Hiltop of Minna has made a meaningful statement.

In the face of the unfortunate crisis and terror we have found ourselves, the only thing we can do is to support our President.

GEJ, could have failed us. But, do we have to heat up the polity more? Do we have to throw the baby and the dirty water away?

Kudos IBB, despite your pass failure and the June 12 Saga! But, I think other leaders should take a queue from this, so that we can build one healthy Nation.

I still Believe in One Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Super1759: 10:28am On Aug 18, 2012
berem: IBB fine no be small! Even at 71 he still looks charming. Abeg has he remarried? Am very much interested to be his wife. grin
chaiiiii my sister is tripping for a financial terrorist. U wana be 13th wife?
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by jessMena(f): 10:28am On Aug 18, 2012
I pray 4 peace in 9ja...if iBB is supporting GEj den who is sponsoring boko haram? So BH war is simply muslims killing christians jihad dat started many yrs ago n not political..I'm still confuse abt dis whole northerners hating GEj stuff...I don't know who 2 belive

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 18, 2012
berem: IBB fine no be small! Even at 71 he still looks charming. Abeg has he remarried? Am very much interested to be his wife. grin

GOLD DIGGER. STOOPID HO.E

3 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 18, 2012
Super1759: chairing my sister is tripping for a financial terrorist. U want be 13th wife?
I don't mind. I do respect him a lot.nevermind what people say about him,he is a genius.

3 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Super1759: 10:34am On Aug 18, 2012
floriana: Who was the governor: David Mark?
david mark is his boy, his right hand obedient servant
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Baraac(f): 10:36am On Aug 18, 2012
foolish man IBB,you think you can fool Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Super1759: 10:36am On Aug 18, 2012
Kayusfity:

GOLD DIGGER. STOOPID HO.E
haba! Why such hatred? Did she steal your money or what? Nawa ooo. Some people are just unnecessarily agresive

2 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by frankcimc(m): 10:37am On Aug 18, 2012
;DIBB fine no be small! Even at 71 he still looks charming. Abeg has he remarried? Am very much interested to be his wife.[quote]

Lol I am sure you will chose him over some NL Boko looking guys.

@topic...IBB is speaking from experience now knowing fully well that he IBB need to support the current govt. with his rich knowledge.
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by nduchucks: 10:38am On Aug 18, 2012
Love him or hate him, this man must be one of the brightest Nigerian politicians in the past 40years. Happy birthday sir, but please help us corrupt BH with your money until they self destruct. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Freiburger(m): 10:40am On Aug 18, 2012
Come to think of it, his days was not as bad as what we are seeing today.

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by AkpuNku2: 10:40am On Aug 18, 2012
I asked again, what did this man do wrong that some people is against him ?
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by waja(m): 10:40am On Aug 18, 2012
U removed a governor for stealing 300000 but U remained after stealing in trillions.

5 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 18, 2012
A FOOL AT 71. You removed him because he didnt steal up to the bench mark you established for them. You glamourized swindling and looting. He was not representing well. He needed to steal in billion to become ur favourite. Ewu oji!

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by enujekorjoseph: 10:43am On Aug 18, 2012
My In-law (IBB) may God bless you for contributing positively in this our only country Nigeria.
I used to tell people that you are not among those spoiling this country but some people from north which I wouldn't want
To mention are the problems we have in this country, as for me, you are a peace maker. I wish you more 21 years to live on earth in Jesus name... Amen!

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Shaw007(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2012
Super1759: chaiiiii my sister is tripping for a financial terrorist. U wana be 13th wife?
13th concubinegrin
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by PrinceDudu(m): 10:49am On Aug 18, 2012
I like his style.
slowly warming his way into the hearts of fellow Nigerians.
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by redcliff: 10:50am On Aug 18, 2012
[size=20pt]so who now removed you for the billions you took away? mschew[/size]

3 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Shaw007(m): 10:51am On Aug 18, 2012
berem: I don't mind. I do respect him a lot.nevermind what people say about him,he is a genius.
yes,he's wealthygrin

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Shaw007(m): 10:53am On Aug 18, 2012
Super1759: haba! Why such hatred? Did she steal your money or what? Nawa ooo. Some people are just unnecessarily agresive
no mind d guy. . .e be like say d lady no gree amgrin

1 Like

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 18, 2012
Freiburger: Come to think of it, his days was not as bad as what we are seeing today.
exactly! after him which other president has improved the lives of nigerians? Though he is not a saint but if u count the top 3 nigerian presidents,IBB is one of them!
Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 18, 2012
Can someone help the old man to understand 300K of then is now 3 trillion of today.atleast he helped devalued the currency somehow?

4 Likes

Re: “I Removed A Governor For Stealing N300,000 by Chinom(m): 10:58am On Aug 18, 2012
Bullcrap !!. He removed a governor for stealing N300k and then stole N20billion himself. He created most of our problems today.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki And Ekweremadu’s Marriage Of Convenience Might Not Last – Sen Sodangi / 2019 Elections: Atiku In Negotiations With PDP / Obiano Commissions Josan Rice Mills, Umumbo In Anambra- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.