Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,677 members, 7,801,953 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network (5794 Views)

No Network Adapter In My Network Places / 115.4kbps Instead Of 460.8kbps On My Network. / Can't Access My Workgroup Computers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network by bisifunke: 7:52pm On Dec 26, 2007
I configured ftp server with win 2003, IIS v6. Disable anonymous login and no restriction on the folders using User isolation. I can access my ftp server locally withing my network but i cant login outside my network
Attempting to login outside the network, it will complain of pemission and access stuff. Gurus in The House pls help
Re: I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network by uspry1(f): 10:15pm On Dec 26, 2007
Usually local host network u use either http://localhost/ or 127.0.0.1

But for remoted host network (outside), you must use ftp://yourusername.yourhosting.com or ftp://yourHostIPADDRESS.yourhosting.com.

That come from your domain name registratar you have completed set up getting your FTP account with FTP username and FTP password.

It would be better if you are use either Dreamweaver or FrontPage application that has FTP connection built-in or download any FTP software or use Windows XP's website service folder(FTP built-in).
Re: I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network by paribus(m): 8:57pm On Jan 02, 2008
@bisifunke

I think you'll need to provide more information on your access scenario. When you said 'from outside your network', possible presumptions are that you are trying to access the ftp server over a public network, or remotely VPNed into your network. You might want to be more specific in terms of:

What sort of ftp client are you using for this remote access. If it complains of permission, my thinking is that you do have phyiscal access remotely but not able to authenticate properly to the ftp server.

if your network have an edge firewall or router, you might want to check that ftp ports (20 and 21) are opened on the firewall or allowed on the router access list.  A simple telnet to the ftp server ip addy on the ftp port should verify the end-to-end access status from the remote network. Even though the appropriate ports might be open from your firewall end, some ISP might still block this from the remote end so your telnet test should validate this.

If you are using secure ftp, then you'll want to check that port 22 is open on your firewall.

However if there are no ports issues, then you'll want to look into the IIS permissions granted to your ftp root and the lower level folders (if any). if anonymous user is disabled, that means you're left with integrated windows authentication, basic authentication, digest authentication and .NET passport authentication. Which one do you have enabled for your ftp root. Disabling anonymous user authentication and absence of folders restrictions does not entirely mean that the remote user would be granted access. Access needs to explicitly granted at the NTFS level especially as shared folders in win2k3 do not grant 'everyone' full control by default any longer. Also you'll need to check that no IP address and domain name restrictions are defined in IIS.

It would be helpful if you can post screenshots of your ftp client and the errors together with your IIS settings (with your ip and user details blanked out of course). Regards
Re: I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network by topeteadr(m): 1:43am On Jan 03, 2008
Lol, don't know anything 'bout dis.
But i sure wuld luv 2 learn 'bout ftp 4rm u guys.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help, I Got A Problem With My Internet Download Manager / [get]avast Secureline Vpn(2 Years Licence For Free) / Blackberry Pc Suite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.