Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? (11735 Views)

The Scary Thing A Couple Received As Wedding Gift (photo) / 10 Wonderful Gifts You Could Give Your Parents On Their Wedding Anniversary / Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by nonen(m): 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2012
My elder brother just got wedded last Saturday. We were going through the trailer load of gifts received, I was so amazed at some kind of funny gifts people still present these days:
Kerosene Lantern
Kerosene Stove
Pounding Mortar and Pestle
Hand Fan
etc
Pls lets share some funny gifts we've received or seen people receive after celebrations such as weddings, birthdays, get-togethers, etc.

1 Like

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2012

6 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by EfemenaXY: 7:55pm On Aug 19, 2012
nonen: I hope this makes Front Row in the Front Page.
My elder brother just got wedded last Saturday. We were going through the trailer load of gifts received, I was so amazed at some kind of funny gifts people still present these days:
Kerosene Lantern
Kerosene Stove
Hand Fan
etc
Pls lets share some funny gifts we've received or seen people receive after celebrations such as weddings, birthdays, get-togethers, etc.

See as dem dey dash wifey manual labour! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by zayhal(f): 10:31pm On Aug 23, 2012
6 pack of tissue papers, igbako (that plastic spoon-like thing used to serve amala, eba etc, don't know what it's called in English). I was surprised to say the least.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ifyalways(f): 10:20am On Aug 24, 2012
Zahyal, salams. Longest time.

@topic, a calendar on my third boys first birthday.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by MissIfe(f): 10:37am On Aug 24, 2012
ifyalways: Zahyal, salams. Longest time.

@topic, a calendar on my third boys first birthday.

That one was to help you count down the days til your boys get married and you can finally have a rest grin
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ifyalways(f): 11:40am On Aug 24, 2012
Miss_Ife:

That one was to help you count down the days til your boys get married and you can finally have a rest grin
Lol, funny but could be true. The calender sef na all those 1 page yeye calender folded with a rubber band. Lol

1 Like

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by nonen(m): 9:15am On Aug 25, 2012
Who still uses kerosene lantern, hand fans and morter and pestle in the big city. What are the electricity charged lamps meant for? What are blenders meant for? What are electric fans meant for? I can only say the type of gift presented reflects the capacity of the senders mind.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 25, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by nonen(m): 10:51am On Aug 26, 2012
chaircover:

You mean that you dont have any of these items in your house? We have all of these items in our Naija house.

Ain't got non of those. I stay in PH, I face similar societal challenges like most of us all. But those aforementioned are supposed to be phased out. I remember I mentioned devices that are phasing 'em out.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ifyalways(f): 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2012
Internet Nigerians!

Only on nld would you hear that pestle and mortar and co. Should not be found in homes again because we have yam pounders and blenders.

4 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by yeye4live(m): 3:58pm On Aug 26, 2012
@posta urs waz beta,I waz helpn my aunt go tru her wedin gift late last year n belive me we saw carton on condomm,ask me wat s d person dat gave dat wishin 4,s he or she nt wantin her to give birth,HABA naija pple bad
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by manosteel(m): 4:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
Loaf of bread carefully wrapped. Mind you, when people are giving those kinds of gift, they don't usually write their names on it.

4 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2012
nonen: Who still uses kerosene lantern, hand fans and morter and pestle in the big city. What are the electricity charged lamps meant for? What are blenders meant for? What are electric fans meant for? I can only say the type of gift presented reflects the capacity of the senders mind.
mortar and pestle? Naa! I don't joke with that.in igboland every woman who is married is given that as a gift from her mother.whether you are rich or poor,its compulsory.I still have mine and I use it always.

4 Likes

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by sasview: 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2012
nonen: My elder brother just got wedded last Saturday. We were going through the trailer load of gifts received, I was so amazed at some kind of funny gifts people still present these days:
Kerosene Lantern
Kerosene Stove
Hand Fan
etc

IMO. Nothing funny in all you itemized, I think much emphasis should be placed on the act of giving than the gift.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by princenino4u: 4:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
i recieve condom on my bday day
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ayobase(m): 4:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
chaircover: I dont see anything funny about those gifts at all and the people who bought them put some thought into it. Each of those gifts have their different uses and trust me one day one day within the life of their marriage, they will have use for these items, the hand fan will probably get the most use grin

@Chaircover...will u LOVE those as ur wedding gifts?
This wedding must have taken place in a very RURAL environment.
LOL....no mind me, but reason the thing na....those gifts no fit surface in places like Abuja (the likes of Maitama, Asokoro, Garki, Wuse and not Karmo, Lugbe, Gwagwa, Deidei), Lagos (VI, Maryland, Ikeja and not Okokomaiko, Badagry, Mushin)
Abeg, make u no vex OP.
People can be ridiculously unbelievable when giving gifts.
Im not saying those are not beneficial, but we suppose don mature pass those levels, instead put the equivalent money in an envelope.
Wetin go happen if they come dey pack the gifts into the trunk....PESTLE&MORTAR...those wey carry them come no dey shame....I don dey imagine how they wrap am sef....I dey come abeg!
No be BRAND NEW CAR some dey get?

1 Like

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ayobase(m): 4:22pm On Aug 26, 2012
berem: mortar and pestle? Naa! I don't joke with that.in igboland every woman who is married is given that as a gift from her mother.whether you are rich or poor,its compulsory.I still have mine and I use it always.

WERE THEY brought to the wedding ground wrapped or .......
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by kioboy(m): 4:23pm On Aug 26, 2012
Mine ws #5 inside brown envelope like 5 envelope contains dis denomination. Maybe they used it to collect sovenir
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by CeaserB: 4:25pm On Aug 26, 2012
[size=21pt]I Received A Cup Of Garri After Reading This Thread!shocked
Yay!!! *Dancing Azonto* grin[/size]

1 Like

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ayobase(m): 4:25pm On Aug 26, 2012
manosteel: Loaf of bread carefully wrapped. Mind you, when people are giving those kinds of gift, they don't usually write their names on it.

How would they write their names.
IDIOTIC set off MORONS!
Whats there to stay put if u have not or just envelop a token (anything u have, even an equivalent to bread)
Thats called ridiculing!
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ayobase(m): 4:28pm On Aug 26, 2012
ifyalways: Internet Nigerians!

Only on nld would you hear that pestle and mortar and co. Should not be found in homes again because we have yam pounders and blenders.

We aint saying they shouldnt be found at home....of course couples can afford those....I have them!
But, can Ify buy MORTAR and PESTLE and present to a couple on the WEDDING GROUND?
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by zangiff(m): 4:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by seedord247(m): 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
Condom and pregnancy test. angry
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
ayobase:

WERE THEY brought to the wedding ground wrapped or .......
most at times it is brought to the wedding ground or taking to the brides house which ever case it may be.it is presented as gift either during the traditional marriage or white wedding.I haven't seen a mortar or pestle wrapped.it is presented unwrapped.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by ayobase(m): 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
berem: most at times it is brought to the wedding ground or taking to the brides house which ever case it may be.it is presented as gift either during the traditional marriage or white wedding.I haven't seen a mortar or pestle wrapped.it is presented unwrapped.

I found it ODD though, maybe cos Im a yoruba guy....pls, my comment is pure!
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by malaria(f): 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
nonen: Who still uses kerosene lantern, hand fans and morter and pestle in the big city. What are the electricity charged lamps meant for? What are blenders meant for? What are electric fans meant for? I can only say the type of gift presented reflects the capacity of the senders mind.
Waddafuck are u saying,enyi a pack wella jor,even with modern technology,ppl stil use mortar and pestle.abi u knw wan ur wyf pound yam 4 u? I bi like sey ur wify go feed u with indomie 4 the rest of ur life.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by cynthiaibeabuchi(f): 5:16pm On Aug 26, 2012
Programme of event put inside envelop
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by beblessed(f): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2012
I think every Nigerian home should have morta and pestle. I feel 4 men whose wives cannot make some local dishes, which when prepared with morta n pestle taste better. Try local fresh onion stew in morta n your life will not remain the same... All these modern appliances, though fast, will lead us to early grave.
Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2012
ayobase:

I found it ODD though, maybe cos Im a yoruba guy....pls, my comment is pure!
my dear there is nothing odd about it. Even yorubas use mortar and pestle. Its a traditional item every woman should have at home irrespective of your tribe. If you don't have it try get one. wink

1 Like

Re: Funny Gifts You Received After Celebrations? by Iyaqueen(f): 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2012
I hv got morta nd pestle nd I leave in d uk,I most show my omo ondo swagger o smiley

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Handling Gold-diggers & Men Insecure Of Richer Partners / Woman Gives Birth To Triplets As 12th Delivery / Surrogate Mother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.