Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? (31067 Views)

Joseph Ayodele Babalola Ministering At An Open Air Crusade In 1939 / Confusing Bible Question / For Every Bible Question, There Is A Bible Answer. Ask A Sincere Question Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Ndipe(m): 11:19pm On Aug 20, 2012
The Story of Joseph and how he was sold by his half-brothers, where he rose to later on become a highly ranked leader in Egypt is one of the most interesting stories in the Holy Bible. Of particular interest is the story of the birth of Benjamin in this story. To some it is no big deal as they believe that he was born prior to his brother's slavery, while to others, they believe he was born after his brother was sold. It's an interesting how this puzzle totally unravels with regards to his birth and reunion with his elder brother.

So, what do you think? Was he born before of after Joseph was sold?
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Alaafialoro(m): 1:14am On Aug 21, 2012
He was born before Joseph was sold into slavery. Actually,Benjamin was given birth to by racheal when Jacob&his family were returning back home from Laban,his father-in-law(GEN 35:18). It was after their return to his father‘s house that Joseph was sold.
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Ndipe(m): 1:52am On Aug 21, 2012
He was born after Joseph was sold.

Alaafia l‘oro:
He was born before Joseph was sold into slavery. Actually,Benjamin was given birth to by racheal when Jacob&his family were returning back home from Laban,his father-in-law(GEN 35:18). It was after their return to his father‘s house that Joseph was sold.
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Alaafialoro(m): 12:44pm On Aug 21, 2012
Ndipe: He was born after Joseph was sold.

....and what‘s your proof?
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Ndipe(m): 11:33pm On Aug 21, 2012
Alaafia l‘oro:

....and what‘s your proof?

Answer: The Holy Bible says that Rachel died while giving birth to Benjamin.

Then we turn to the lifestory of Joseph who is described as a 17 year old boy. One day he had a dream that eleven stars and the sun and moon bowed to him. When he told his father and his brothers, the latter hate him even more while his father rebukes him by asking, "Will YOUR mother and I and your brothers actually come and bow down to the ground before you?" (Genesis 37:10)

Question who is the mother here? Obviously Rachel, because she was Joseph's mother. She hadnt yet died and Benjamin was not yet born because she died while giving birth to him. Another hint, the dream was a revelation of an event that would occur in future, so that would explain the identity of the eleventh star. Remember, if Rachel was still alive when Joseph had those dreams, then the eleventh star who was Benjamin was not yet born.

After Joseph was sold and he later on became the governor of Egypt, his brothers came and bowed to him. There, he remembered the dreams and ordered them to bring his brother to him. When they returned back home and narrated to their father about the harsh treatment they received from the ruler of Egypt and his request that they bring in their younger brother, their dad refused. When the famine grew more severe and Jacob told them to go back to Egypt to get more food, his sons refused to, telling him that the ruler insisted that they could only see his face if they brought his younger brother. Now, Jacob asks them, “Why did you deal so wrongfully with me as to tell the man whether you had still another brother" (Genesis 43:6). Read the interesting reply in verse 7.

But they said, “The man asked us pointedly about ourselves and our family, saying, ‘Is your father still alive? Have you another brother?’ And we told him according to these words. Could we possibly have known that he would say, ‘Bring your brother down’?”

From what I deduce, when his brothers bowed to him, Joseph remembered the dream he had previously, but he probably wondered about the identity of the eleventh star. So, to get to the root of the matter, he probed his brothers, 'Have you another brother?'And the brothers innocently or ignorantly told him that they did because that's what they told their father. That's another hint that Benjamin wasnt yet born.

Another instance is during the blessings Israel conferred on the sons of Joseph. Prior to that, he narrated to Joseph on the death of his mother, Rachel, and how and where he buried her.

Genesis 48: 7 "But as for me, when I came from Padan, Rachel died beside me in the land of Canaan on the way, when there was but a little distance to go to Ephrath; and I buried her there on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).”

Why would Israel recount the death of Rachel and her burial place to Joseph if he was visibly present during his mother's demise? Obviously, he wasnt, hence his father decided to, probably because he was her first child (and deserved to know) about the death of his mom as well as the burial place.

So, in my conclusion, Benjamin was born after Joseph was sold. It's very fascinating how the story unfolds and the lessons one can learn from it.

2 Likes

Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by tpia5: 11:46pm On Aug 21, 2012
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Ndipe(m): 4:47am On Aug 22, 2012
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Alaafialoro(m): 7:42am On Aug 22, 2012
^^^^Even after reading your post& d link,I m not convinced.
Let me point at something. We both agreed that Racheal gave birth to Benjamin&died while they were return home from Jacob‘s father-in-law. With ur argument that Joseph was sold before then,it means he could only have been sold in Padanaram which was where Jacob was staying before returning home. But to nulify that believe,when he was sold they were already in Canaan(Isaac‘s crib)&places like hebron&shechem were mentioned-Gen 37:1&14.
Some of this arguable assertions were made by theologians. I m not saying they are not knowledgable bible scholars but mosts of their points are usualy controversial & not convincing.
Re: Bible Question: Was Benjamin Born Before Or After Joseph Was Sold Into Slavery? by Ndipe(m): 8:56pm On Aug 28, 2012
Alaafia l‘oro:
^^^^Even after reading your post& d link,I m not convinced.
Let me point at something. We both agreed that Racheal gave birth to Benjamin&died while they were return home from Jacob‘s father-in-law. With ur argument that Joseph was sold before then,it means he could only have been sold in Padanaram which was where Jacob was staying before returning home. But to nulify that believe,when he was sold they were already in Canaan(Isaac‘s crib)&places like hebron&shechem were mentioned-Gen 37:1&14.
Some of this arguable assertions were made by theologians. I m not saying they are not knowledgable bible scholars but mosts of their points are usualy controversial & not convincing.

Rachel died while giving birth to Benjamin. Afterwards, there is a listing of the 12 sons of Jacob, and thereafter, the Holy Bible talks of Jacob burying his father, Isaac with his brother, Esau. Isaac died when he was 180 years old and he was 60 when he had his twin sons, Esau and Jacob, which means the twins were 120 years old. Jacob had Joseph at 91, because when the famine was in its second year and Jacob and his family arrived in Egypt, he told Pharaoh that "The years of my sojourning are one hundred and thirty. . ." (Genesis 47:9).

Joseph was thirty years old as of the time he entered the service of Pharaoh king of Egypt, so he was 39 in the 2nd year of the famine when his family relocated to Egypt. Which means that when his granddad was dead, (as of the time his father was 120 years old), he was still in Egypt. He was sold as a slave when he was 17 years old. So, my strong belief is that Benjamin was actually born when he was in slavery.

(1) (Reply)

Apostle Tomi Arayomi: How DSS Arrested Me, My Wife & Aide Emmanuel Ezerika / What Will Become Of Those Who Have Died Before The Birth Of Christ? / Apostle Chinyere Chibuzor Places A Curse On Happie Boys Over Leaked Chat (Audio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.