Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Top 5 Bad Car Habits - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 5 Bad Car Habits (12521 Views)

Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / Worn-out Or Bad Car Tyres Increase Fuel Consumption? / How To Spot A Lemon (Bad Car) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Immune1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 21, 2012
A bad habit is something we might not necessarily be proud of, but somehow we still find ourselves in the same loop over and over. In this article, some of these wrong motoring practices will be highlighted. Also accounted for are the root causes behind a wide range of petty actions that might easily go un-noticed. So as you count down to the worst car habit, feel free to pick up a lesson or two.

5,Washing improperly and never waxing:
How frequently do you wash your car? Well, everyone has some sort of routine but the real issue is whether or not you wash your car the right way and if you wax your car body at all. Car manufacturers in recent times have brilliantly solved the issue of rust formation underneath the car (especially around the tyre housing) in new car designs, but for now, there is no solution for accumulated mud and dirt on car surfaces.This is where washing (not with detergents) and waxing with the right reagents can really help in safeguarding your car exterior/paint job, thereby making it look ‘tokunbo new’.

4,Procrastinating:
‘I’ll get my papers complete tomorrow’; ‘I will strap my seatbelt before the next bus-stop’, show me a vehicle owner that never procrastinates and I bet you have a wholly perfect being. In an imperfect world like ours, we tend to procrastinate and it’s only natural for humans to extend this to the use automobiles. Our cars might be wobbling, discomforting, scary to behold, smoky and so on, but once we have encountered practical instances where such anomalies didn’t stop us from getting around with our cars, it becomes really difficult not to procrastinate. I have good news (which you might however take badly): every moment you spend not fixing or correcting an anomaly is directly proportional to the likelihood of chain problems developing.

3,Impatience:
I love newer Peugeot cars for this, you start your car engine and there is an ‘oil ok’ indication that gives you the go ahead to accelerate or move the vehicle. Engine oil circulation after you start your vehicle (especially in the morning) is very necessary because wearing of inner engine components is highest during these moments. So back to the root cause in focus here, ‘impatience’; a bad habit that can make you do things like climbing pedestrian walkways and plying road shoulders during tight traffic, unnecessary changing of lanes(also using wrong lanes), reckless driving and generally breaking traffic laws. Driving overconfidently as if you have all the likely odds completely under your control is never a wise move. To adequately counter this habit, you need better planning!

2,Making calls while driving:
Driving a flashy car these days is barely enough as you also need a flashy/trendy mobile device to compliment the show-off! Funny enough, the more expensive cars are best equipped for wireless making and receiving of phone calls, but who cares? Making and receiving phone calls with either of your hands whilst driving is wrong as it can lead to an accident. Also it is plain illegal; in the American state of North Carolina, it’s illegal to make and receive phone calls even with hands-free devices.

1,Over-managing:
I wanted to merge this with an earlier discussed habit (procrastination) but, along the line I had a change of mind because not all cases of trying to manage certain car conditions can be closely linked with procrastination. Most of the time, car owners know the right thing to do, but chose not to because they feel they might be saving money. Equally, they might even know of the right mechanic to go but still go ahead to chose the guy down the street because his services are relatively cheaper, so I guess instances like these create the distinction! The list is endless, the underlying problem always seems to be the wrong perception that cars are assets as opposed to the reality of cars being liabilities, hence requiring more spending.

source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/top-5-ugly-car-habits/

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by icemann(m): 12:51pm On Aug 21, 2012
1. Forget to do an oil change
2. Turn back seat to a storeage ( Got books, papers, old hat, shoes,sometimes jackets, etc)
3. Texting and driving ( talk to text doesn't understand my okoro accent)
4. Eating and diving (No time to sit and eat the hustle too much)
5. Driving rage
6. Looking at pretty girls with fat asses while driving (I be guy na LOL, and yes with my mirrors)

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by snthesis(m): 1:18pm On Aug 21, 2012
Driving while tipsy tongue
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2012
I got none of those car habits.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by snthesis(m): 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2012
Lookin out for chicks cracks on Okadas - low waist jeans phenomena tongue
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 21, 2012
As per paper things,I'm guilty of that.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by ariyebaba(m): 1:29pm On Aug 21, 2012
Starring @ Lagos & Abuja babes with heavy front n back.

smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 21, 2012
ariyebaba: Starring @ Lagos & Abuja babes with heavy front n back.

Lmao!
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2012
controlling the steering with a finger tip...

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by igbsam(m): 1:37pm On Aug 21, 2012
Causing serious traffic by stopping your car on the road without minding those behind just to beg a girl you just saw standing on the road to give her a ride to her destination. And the preaching goes on and on, while those behind rain causes of various kinds of degree on you and your generation. And as a bad guy, all your mind, memory, thinking and sense of reasoning dey the kind knacking wey u go give the babe if she eventually agree to step into your car.....wahala dey for lagos. Fashola saw all this and choose to handle such with harsh penalties.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 21, 2012
Removing my hands frm d steering while speeding on a straight road.even though its bad,i enjoy it so much...try it
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by manny4life(m): 1:44pm On Aug 21, 2012
binger: Removing my hands frm d steering while speeding on a straight road.even though its bad,i enjoy it so much...try it

It's good but dangerous, I do that few times BUT, not advisable.

Sometimes, I just blank out because I'm distracted... embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by alajor(m): 1:52pm On Aug 21, 2012
I eat in my car while driving?
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 21, 2012
HOW ABOUT SCREWING IN THE CAR, THATS MY FAVORITE. SHAP SHAP.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 21, 2012
Controlling the steering with one hand.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by etunoman76(m): 2:10pm On Aug 21, 2012
~Bluetooth:

As per paper things,I'm guilty of that.

I'm also very guilty of this. My back seat is a mobile office/store. My wife has complained severally about this and I'm seriously trying to stop this habit
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Tinyemeka(m): 2:16pm On Aug 21, 2012
Taking off my jacket and tie while driving. I do that almost every evening and have a scratched bumper to show for it. sad

BB chatting is another.

But on a serious note, there are certain things we procrastinate and keep postponing. Tyre replacement after being worn down, oil change (engine, transmission, steering, etc) and a whole lot. May God help us.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by gulfer: 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2012
al-qaeda:
HOW ABOUT SCREWING IN THE CAR, THATS MY FAVORITE. SHAP SHAP.
Baddo.....just what's on ma mind to say 'bout some guys grin
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by LongOne1(m): 2:48pm On Aug 21, 2012
Immune#1:

1,Over-managing:
Most of the time, car owners know the right thing to do, but chose not to because they feel they might be saving money. Equally, they might even know of the right mechanic to go but still go ahead to chose the guy down the street because his services are relatively cheaper, so I guess instances like these create the distinction!
source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/top-5-ugly-car-habits/

From my experience, the cheaper guys are often better skilled, I once took my car to a main dealer for a fault diagnosis and was quoted hundreds of pounds for a part plus their expensive labour.
After I fitted it, it still had the same fault, so I took it back to my normal mechanic and he diagnosed a completely different problem, hence I ended up buying a part the car didn’t really need.

Man, I was pissed, as my mechanic could have done it, but I stubbornly opted for the main dealer option, as I did not want to spend on a part I didn’t need and thought they couldn’t be wrong. Penny wise, pound-foolish.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by xpensivethony: 2:53pm On Aug 21, 2012
When i buy my car i will put them in practice,iam still hustiling for the money..

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by MMM2(m): 2:55pm On Aug 21, 2012
My GF's driving me wink
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by LongOne1(m): 2:59pm On Aug 21, 2012
Eating groundnut, while driving – a friend's mum used to do this. (the boiled groundnut O! That is breaking them and eating while driving)

Left leg on the door (some choose the dashboard instead) with window fully down, close to the side view mirror – Hausa Northern men used to love this tongue. Manual or Automatic, I don’t know O!
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Chokolee(m): 2:59pm On Aug 21, 2012
1.Always wanting to claim a right on the road,*bad habit!*
2.Insulting and shouting at a rough driver *Just seat in your car and watch him/her,make him/her feel like a fuul*
#Road safety advices that you take yourself as the only sane driver...everyother person on the road is madt#

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Immune1(m): 3:10pm On Aug 21, 2012
Long One:

From my experience, the cheaper guys are often better skilled, I once took my car to a main dealer for a fault diagnosis and was quoted hundreds of pounds for a part plus their expensive labour.
After I fitted it, it still had the same fault, so I took it back to my normal mechanic and he diagnosed a completely different problem, hence I ended up buying a part the car didn’t really need.

Man, I was pissed, as my mechanic could have done it, but I stubbornly opted for the main dealer option, as I did not want to spend on a part I didn’t need and thought they couldn’t be wrong. Penny wise, pound-foolish.

Very true,there are quite some exceptions in that regards. Subscribing to the services of dealerships has its little perks like high pricing,but the odds are quite minimal.If the services of dealership doesn't quite go well with your financial budget,then I'll suggest you take out time and get a good mechanic experienced with your vehicle brand and level of sophistication.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Kay17: 4:35pm On Aug 21, 2012
Switching songs on my phone, irresistible.

One way lunatics.

Reversing on a highway, after missing one's cut.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by DSB(m): 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2012
snthesis: Driving while tipsy tongue
shocked shocked shocked Ever heard off DUI?
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by zannie(f): 5:07pm On Aug 21, 2012
I suffer from terrible road rage. Nobody test me!
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by yungboss(m): 5:50pm On Aug 21, 2012
soft drifting atimes...i.e, hitting a corner hard to induce loss of traction and swinging the rear...but i hardly do it these days...
Taking phone calls while driving is what i'm learning to outlive
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by chucky234(m): 5:57pm On Aug 21, 2012
ariyebaba: Starring @ Lagos & Abuja babes with heavy front n back.

You got me there,I have that habit of scanning babes' ass:es.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by chucky234(m): 6:11pm On Aug 21, 2012
saxywale: Controlling the steering with one hand.
were you talking about me? I love driving with one hand,gives me all round comfort.
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by Kay17: 6:38pm On Aug 21, 2012
Manual transmission, compells u to drive with one hand
Re: Top 5 Bad Car Habits by franklinjoseph(m): 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2012
1. Gettin a Mouth Action while driving
2. Playing loud music (could cause distraction)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quack Tracking Companies In Nigeria / Five Warning Lights That Keep Your Car Running / Signs Of Lubricant Starvation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.