Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,864 members, 7,798,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (20718 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by blank(f): 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
I made jollof rice with brown rice and i made a very big pot for the whole house.
First of all, no one particularly likes brown rice but eat it cos its healthy.

There was just no saving grace for the jollof rice. Will never try it again.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by siddiq202(m): 6:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Cooked Egusi and Put 3 'Ajino-Moto' in it...infact it was a disaster cheesy cheesy
huh?! shocked shocked 3 ajino what? you are kidding right?
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 24, 2012
Was very hungry after a long day en couldn't wait 2 prepare even noodles on an electric stove,so I emptied a sachet into d pressure cooker,went 2 d room 2 UnCloth en 4gt it,by d time I remembad....
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by siddiq202(m): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
NobleAngell: No blunders @ all. Am a star in d kitchen. cool
not even once c'mon be sincere joor
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by blank(f): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2012
I remember when i was 10 and made stew. I poured a lot of oil into the stew. Anytime i tasted the stew, it tasted bland so i added more maggi. Didn't realise that it was the oil i was tasting until i had put in 4 double cubes of Knorr.

That night, everybody use oil chop stew cos the maggi was 10 much.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by dmy(m): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2012
Eray: I was 10 then. I was trying to boil more rice to supplement the already cooked rice. Cause the cooked rice wasn't gonna be enough. I poured d raw rice into d cooked rice added water, and I placed in fire to boil. wen mumsi found out sha, I hear am. Nor be small beat them give me that day
grin grin exact thing happened to me. I even mixed the cooked rice with the uncooked one. all because I wan watch TV. my yansh no go forget the beating e receive that day. grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2012
Sec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... LolSec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... LolSec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... Lol
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by EyesWideOpen(m): 6:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
My own was when I boiled (more like fried) egg in water. Read in some decades old cookery book that you can smash an egg, shake it and pour in a pan-full of boiling water!
I did it without thinking, and boy how I hated it. Had to throw it away. I was 13yrs then.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Eray(f): 6:33pm On Aug 24, 2012
dmy: grin grin exact thing happened to me. I even mixed the cooked rice with the uncooked one. all because I wan watch TV. my yansh no go forget the beating e receive that day. grin

Lol! Childhood tins! And to think that was my first attempt @ boiling rice
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
Missy_B: Let's hear it wink
. Got home very hungry after a long day en couldn't wait 2 make noodles on an electric stove,so I emptied d sachet into a pressure cooker,went into d room 2 UnCloth en 4gt abt it,by d time I remembad....it was a burnt indomie dat welcomed me into d kitchen.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by labbyboi(m): 6:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
I think I should rather call mine FOOLISHNESS cos of how it goes; I got dis fable 4rm my friend dat " it's the level of the water that will determine where rice will rise up to" n I decided 2 give it a trial. On this fateful day, I was alone so dere wasn't interference. Due 2 how greedy I was, I used d biggest pot for a a cup of rice (milk tin). We had 3 stoves in our house n can remmeber transferring 4rm one stove 2 d other after exhausting d kerosene in each n Behold, mummy caught me dere. She didn't beat me though cos I was still around 7 buh I forfeited d rice cos d tin don soggy dieeeee!

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Ogetogeo(m): 6:37pm On Aug 24, 2012
belemzy: Mum travelled so i tired cooking for d very first time. I was 19years old. MY dad gave me triple the amount he gives to my mum for a pot of soup only for me to return home with all the bone in the market as beef, to make matters worse i was asked to buy UZUZA leaf,i bought UTAZI leaf wey bad pass BITTER leaf cheesy. You can imagine what happened when pupsy had a teast of my delicacy. grin

grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Man51ut(m): 6:38pm On Aug 24, 2012
I learned how to cook when I was 18. I moved off campus into private accomodation. My introduction to cooking was basically my mum writing how to make rice and stew, and spaghetti and stew on a sheet of hotel paper. I always had ideas beyond my station though. So I started to experiment. Once I bought a container of imitation crab. god knows what I was thinking.

I boiled the rice then added the crab to it. then added a ton of curry and Old Bay to it. good god, it was rancid. and it was like magic, the more i ate, the more there seemed to be. in the end i went out in the middle of the night to throw it away.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 24, 2012
blank: I made jollof rice with brown rice and i made a very big pot for the whole house.
First of all, no one particularly likes brown rice but eat it cos its healthy.

There was just no saving grace for the jollof rice. Will never try it again.

I don't mind brown rice...
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by amia: 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
1)I think i was about 10 years old then and i have been itching to start cooking. One fateful that day, we were supposed to have moi moi for dinner so i decided to cook it because my mum had traveled. When the moi moi was ready, my elder brother tasted it and said there was no salt in it and true true i had forgotten to add salt. I didn't know how to serve my dad the food so i came up with a remedy cool. I cut the moi moi into 2 and rubbed salt all over the 2 halves, lolz. Of course my dad took one bite and pushed the remaining away cheesy

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by swtchicgurl: 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
adding maggi and salt to pap embarassed embarassed embarassed

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by honeylotion: 6:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was 9,still learning how to cook. Wanted to show how good I was in cooking so I tried cooking fried rice.

Poured some groundnut oil into a pot waited for some mins then added some quantity of rice(can't remember how many cups) so I covered it within 2min I started hearing some sounds... Sounds as if I was making pop corn! The rest was history

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Ogetogeo(m): 6:45pm On Aug 24, 2012
djmally: Sec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... LolSec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... LolSec sch things . We (me and my 'cornermates') sneaked into the bushes to cook jollof rice and beans. Unknown to me one the guys used our soup stock 'store' to stash away his hoard of weed. My brethren, i mixed up the whole rice stock (weed inclusive) and when the rice was ready....... Lol

HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by freecocoa(f): 6:48pm On Aug 24, 2012
swtchicgurl: adding maggi and salt to pap embarassed embarassed embarassed
What? You are joking right?shocked
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by freecocoa(f): 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2012
honeylotion: I was 9,still learning how to cook. Wanted to show how good I was in cooking so I tried cooking fried rice.

Poured some groundnut oil into a pot waited for some mins then added some quantity of rice(can't remember how many cups) so I covered it within 2min I started hearing some sounds... Sounds as if I was making pop corn! The rest was history
Omg,you really fried the rice grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Slasha1(f): 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
Wntd to prepr "ewedu",used alum instead of Potash,mhen d whole tin turnd brown n refusd to draw,Mum was lyk 'wot d heck?'

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by brain54(m): 6:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
was about 9yrs at d time..i felt d pepper soup momsy cooked was too PEPPERY so i sneeked and added sugar..dont know what i was tinking but it wasnt a nice combination..another time i came home from school and dont know wat happen but i dint meet food at home..which was unusaul so i decided to make akara-the funi thing about my akara was i dint grind d beans.jst fried the beans like that cos was hungry...the rest is better imagined...had to bully d gateman's son to eat it all up,cos i was bigger than him
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Maximus17(m): 7:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
putting vitalo inside ogbono soup..........lolz!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Slasha1(f): 7:04pm On Aug 24, 2012
belemzy: Mum travelled so i tired cooking for d very first time. I was 19years old. MY dad gave me triple the amount he gives to my mum for a pot of soup only for me to return home with all the bone in the market as beef, to make matters worse i was asked to buy UZUZA leaf,i bought UTAZI leaf wey bad pass BITTER leaf cheesy. You can imagine what happened when pupsy had a teast of my delicacy. grin
Lmao
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Moesha22(f): 7:14pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was 14,asked to cook beans.normally i dont cook it cos i dont eat it.so i cooked one derica,the salt i added was so much that even if two dericas were added,the salt would still be too much.mom and dad came home very late at night,didn't have a choice.ate it absent minded.i pitied them that night.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Next2Bezee(m): 7:16pm On Aug 24, 2012
It was with intense hunger that i bought 2 packs of indomie one afternoon, i boiled water, then put the indomie and added suya pepper and onions for taste and as soon as it was done i just loaded my plate and started rushing the food only to find out it tasted really raw, So i looked at the cooker and lo and behold......2 unopened indomie seasoning sachets were there staring at me! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Yeske2(m): 7:17pm On Aug 24, 2012
slimdiggi: Tried to boil egg in microwave,hmmm Added egusi to ogbono,potty wey be like am i neva see,oh yes,overheated palm oil and it turned into a flambé(french cooking that alchohol is added and fire comes out)
You did the egg thing in a microwave just as i did too? See explosion.
Trying to boil yam, forgot the bar soap i washed the pot with inside the pot and boiled everything together(Don't ask me what popsy did to me that night)
Wifey travelled and I wanted to make noodles but added crayfish to taste, had to throw the damn thing away.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ujchief(m): 7:18pm On Aug 24, 2012
I'm having a hard time choosing between the first day i tried preparing fried rice and my first biter leaf soup at school...
Well, i think the later was more embarasing. The first time i tried biter leaf soup at school. From where i came from, the biter leaf u buy at market is well washed, so u just squeeze it a litle and u're good to go. But i never knew Awka people dont wash their biter leaf at all! I bought the 'soaked' biter leaf, after cooking my soup wit the leaf, it was sooo biter and uneatable! Worse stil, some new chick i was trying to impres was patiently waiting to try out my soup. Somehow i convinced her we should eat out. I think i told her i ran out of gas in my cooker.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Yeske2(m): 7:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
john_shagb: Let me share a story ♍γ̲̣̣̥ cousin told me about a newly wedded bride.
She wanted to prepare yam flour(amala) so she put a reasonable amount of water on fire but she didn't give it enough time to boil properly, she pour the flour into the lukewarm water and started stirring. When she realized the mixture refused to form properly, she quickly and quietly disposed the mess she prepared. She gave it another trial with the former procedure and we all know what to expect. That was when she summon the courage to tell her hungry mother in-law she doesn't know Ђõω to prepare the meal. I can't imagine what the expressions on her face would be at her first trial.
God go save man from all this babes wey no sabi wetin okro be, Ωa only noodles and fried rice dem fit cook
You sure say no be you?
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Rick9(m): 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2012
My worst cooking blunder, hmmm. Adding 2many salt. Cooking can be terrible. At times
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by denitro(m): 7:20pm On Aug 24, 2012
Mistook sugar for salt.
The white rice was tasteless but sweet...
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ORAFA(m): 7:27pm On Aug 24, 2012
It wasnt me sha. Ma 8yr old niece added salt to indomie. I cant explain d taste.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Show Your Christmas✨ Cooking & What Meat You Are Using ✌️ / 5 Ways To Eat What You Want And Still Be Healthy / Can Pregnant Woman Drink Zobo Drink?????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.