Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC (11281 Views)

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   / NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by kutchs: 11:19am On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: Idio:t who knows nothing about power generation,you dumbly concluded that power stands at over 4,300MW based on what Barth Nnaji tweeted on twitter.I can see how stupi:d you are for saying that govt did not spend billions on power generation,that completely outlined your level of ignorance.
ol boy stop being stupid. Just answer this question honestly between you and Barth Nnaji who is better positioned to talk about the power sector?
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by thelastPope(m): 11:24am On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: Idio:t who knows nothing about power generation,you dumbly concluded that power stands at over 4,300MW based on what Barth Nnaji tweeted on twitter.I can see how stupi:d you are for saying that govt did not spend billions on power generation,that completely outlined your level of ignorance.

Sorry, I don't contend with teenage trolls on Internet forums. Come back when you are 21 then we can discuss.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 11:27am On Aug 27, 2012
Nigeria, Vision 20:2020 And Power
Sector
One endemic problem facing
successive administrations in Nigeria has been the issue of generating and distributing sufficient power to meet domestic,commercial and industrial requirements of electricity consumers in the country.
Government’s efforts and strategies to provide regular and efficient power
supply from, all indications so far, have not yielded desired result.
With only eight years to go, the Federal Government’s ambition to place Nigeria among the world’s 20 biggest and strongest economies by 2020 is fast becoming a mirage as epileptic electricity supply is gradually constituting the greatest challenge facing the country towards realising the vision.
Whenever one reflects on the Vision
20:2020 project, the first thing that strikes one’s mind is electricity which is yet to improve significantly despite billions of naira pumped into the power sector. Regular power is critical to the realisation of the economic dream.
Not too long ago, the National Electricity Regulating
Commission (NERC) revealed that
Nigerians spend about N796.4 billion
yearly on fuelling their electric generators to provide themselves with electric power (light). The figure represents federal government’s budget of N796.7 billion for the capital expenditure for 2009 fiscal year for 36 states of the
federation. A breakdown of the
statistics shows that N540.9 billion is
spent on diesel and petrol, for diesel and petrol powered engines annually.
Investigations further revealed that
industries under the auspices of Manufacturers Assocation of Nigeria (MAN) spend over N350 billion to fuel their diesel engines to facilitate production of goods and services.
Similarly, government’s budget to buy,maintain and fuel generators each year has been staggering, a development which has been heavily criticised.
Though the figures released were yet to be challenged by government, it is believed that Nigerians spend even more on maintenance of diesel and petrol-powered generating sets than fuelling alone.
The expenditure pattern in fuelling and maintaining small and big generating engines for residential and commercial entities remains a sad chapter in our history. The development is caused by a shortfall in meeting the nation’s demand for electricity.
The Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) reportedly generates only 20 per cent of national electric requirement which falls between 2,000 mw and 2,500mw.
But as part of government’s
determination to meet national
demand for electricity, the federal
administration vowed to deliver
6,000mw, in addition to slightly over 2,500mw already in the national grid.
Experts however believe that Nigeria
requires about 15,000mw for power to be stable, regular and efficient so as to meet domestic, commercial and industrial demands.
South Africa, a country with less
population than Nigeria
has over 40,000mw and also generates electricity through other sources other than hydro and thermal sourced electricity.
Therefore, the authorities must as a
matter of national
emergency source other means of
generating power through solar and
nuclear means.
Diversification of public power supply
sources therefore is a necessary imperative facing our leaders. Private sector investment is needed to boost our national power needs.
Our energy base is woefully very low
and constitutes a material embarrassment to the past
and present generations of Nigerian
leaders.
Investors find it extremely difficult to
invest in Nigeria due to cost of generating electricity for their investment. We cannot afford to continue this way.
The country cannot meet up with her
Millennium Development
Goals (MDGs) on energy and other
critical sectors of the economy with the current energy base.
Moreso, Nigeria can never realise her
Vision 20:2020 if we remain where we are currently. The Asian Tigers who are competing favourably with Western countries ensured that their energy source was realiable and regular before they got to where they
are today.
Thus, the only way and viable option
forward is to secure
our energy base.
The attention accorded by the federal
and state governments
must be sustained. The enactment of
the Electricity Reform Act 2005 is a
step in the right direction. If need be the Act should be amended to further
encourage private sector participation
and foreign investment.
The willingness on the part of
government to address
inadequacies in the sector by
deregulating the sector, thus
encouraging foreigners to put in their money in the sector is welcomed.
LINK:
www.www.thetidenewsonline.com/2012/08/10/nigeria-vision-202020-and-power-sector/
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by taharqa: 11:28am On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: Who is this clueless goon with excessive brain turmoil,what do you know about power generation to quote me. Instead followingt up with govt activities to know what is happen you choose to read Daily Trust rather than read life situations,do you know the difference power generation statistics,capacity statistics and transmision statistics which brings us to distribution.
Still ask you,how much has this govt spent so far to achieve this little that you blindly celebrate,do bother to quote me if you cannot come up with the figure,mumu.
So this is d best u can do? Insults and Rants? U claimd dat 'less dan 3500MW was bn distributd', and we are only asking 4 yr sources 4 dat claim. U do kw dat yr opponents here hv provided various sources while u hv bn talking 4rm yr head, right? On yr asking wot I knew about d Power sector, I laugh. U hv no idea bout d ppl u re arguing wit; anyways, am waiting 4 u to lecture me bout d 'electricity' sector as u put it*smile*. Plz start wit providing sources 4 yr claims, am waiting.....wait oh, who am I kidding? I actuali expect u to behave as though u didnt see dis or respond wit insults and soundbites, #typical.but maybe u wud actuali prove me wrong
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by otokx(m): 11:29am On Aug 27, 2012
things are already back to square 1 as in permanent darkness
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 11:32am On Aug 27, 2012
thelastPope:

Sorry, I don't contend with teenage trolls on Internet forums. Come back when you are 21 then we can discuss.
Look at this goon refered to me as a teenager when his sense of reasoning is far below that of my three year old daughter,you are surely suffering from a brain turmoil.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 11:40am On Aug 27, 2012
taharqa: So this is d best u can do? Insults and Rants? U claimd dat 'less dan 3500MW was bn distributd', and we are only asking 4 yr sources 4 dat claim. U do kw dat yr opponents here hv provided various sources while u hv bn talking 4rm yr head, right? On yr asking wot I knew about d Power sector, I laugh. U hv no idea bout d ppl u re arguing wit; anyways, am waiting 4 u to lecture me bout d 'electricity' sector as u put it*smile*. Plz start wit providing sources 4 yr claims, am waiting.....wait oh, who am I kidding? I actuali expect u to behave as though u didnt see dis or respond wit insults and soundbites, #typical.but maybe u wud actuali prove me wrong
I have gone through your entire posts,you have not said anything meaningful let alone providing sources to back them up.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by dedeike: 11:43am On Aug 27, 2012
playcharles: NA GAS OR NA RAIN THEM THEY USE POWER, shocked
BOTH
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by thelastPope(m): 11:44am On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: Look at this goon refered to me as a teenager when his sense of reasoning is far below that of my three year old daughter,you are surely suffering from a brain turmoil.

I feel ashamed that I ever engaged this dude. Hillarious morning joke! Product of a failed educational system anyone? My bad!
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by Dollarman101: 11:48am On Aug 27, 2012
dedeike:

Still advertising his ignorance further. Anybody following our debate so far right from the first page will simply laugh you to stupor.

In your desperation to attack GEJ, you came out blabbing that there was nothing like 4477 MW. You even dared me to prove it. You gave the mischievous impression that I concorted the 4,477MW figures myself.
I went the extra mile to source the evidence for you. Having been confronted with the stark reality of your foolishness, your story has changed.
You have resorted to the lame and laughable argument that my links are from sources that work for govt grin
So the NATIONNEWSPAPERS now work for Govt?
DAILYTRUST also works for GOVT? SMH*

When you saw how laughable this sounds? You somersaulted again to rephrase the issues to Barth NNaji's expenditure as if that has ever been the issue here.
But let me still join issues with you on that score because you re like a drowning man seeking for any last straw to cling on.
The entire power sector was allocated just about 200 billion Naira in 2012 budget. Even if Barth Nnaji has squandered all in refurbishing the power plants, which we know it's impossible given the 56% budget performance, it's still doesn't come close to your imaginary billions of dollars.

I await a further public show of your ignorance on this thread.

Na you even get time to explain to those f.ools. Left for me, I enjoy seeing the likes of CHUKY 234 fool themselves here.
It provides comic relief grin
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 11:55am On Aug 27, 2012
kutchs: ol boy stop being stupid. Just answer this question honestly between you and Barth Nnaji who is better positioned to talk about the power sector?
People like you are the reason why this country is in a terrible state,dose the fact that Nnaji hold degrees in system engineering or CEO of Geometrics System Ltd makes him the most informed human about power generation?
Use your brain my friend,this country will never move forward if we continue to believe that the empty heads up there are better informed than us.
Nigeria spends far higher than what South Africa and Brazil combined spend on power annually yet SA generates 45,000MW to serve 58 million people while Brazil generates 100,000MW to serve 200 million people yet we celebrate 4000MW that serves 168 million people,haba wetin dey control your brain na.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 11:58am On Aug 27, 2012
thelastPope:

I feel ashamed that I ever engaged this dude. Hillarious morning joke! Product of a failed educational system anyone? My bad!
Look who is talking about failed educational system when your entire posts in the six days you have spent on NL lack grammar,you are a disgrace to your family.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by rhymz(m): 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2012
Is it just me or did anyone notice that either the reporter or Amadi tried so hard to give the impression that afterall JEG has not achieved anything in the power sector. The report made it look like it was a Hoax.
As far as I am concerned, the language used in this report is manipulative and intentional, Amadi prolly never conveyed the information the way this reporter did. I suspect some sinister motive here to discredit Jonathan's effort.
If we have 4477megawatts of Electricity, how can the NERC chairman then submit that a 300megawatts drop will cause a significant drop in supply? Why was he so bent on making readers come off with a pessimistic feeling about the improvements? I suspect foul play in this report. And by the way, there is no how the hydro power plant will lose all its generation just because there will be a drop in water level after the raining season that argument is weak and unrealistic. There is too much embelishment and perssimistic exaggeration in this report that has dent the credibility of this report, only a credulous cretin will not see the handwriting on the wall here.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 12:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
Dollarman101:

Na you even get time to explain to those f.ools. Left for me, I enjoy seeing the likes of CHUKY 234 fool themselves here.
It provides comic relief grin
its good you remain a spectator than a contributor because your empty brain can't give a simple explanation of how power is generated in Nigeria let alone distribution,I like you for realising how clueless you are.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by rhymz(m): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: People like you are the reason why this country is in a terrible state,dose the fact that Nnaji hold degrees in system engineering or CEO of Geometrics System Ltd makes him the most informed human about power generation?
Use your brain my friend,this country will never move forward if we continue to believe that the empty heads up there are better informed than us.
Nigeria spends far higher than what South Africa and Brazil combined spend on power annually yet SA generates 45,000MW to serve 58 million people while Brazil generates 100,000MW to serve 200 million people yet we celebrate 4000MW that serves 168 million people,haba wetin dey control your brain na.
why are you ranting ignorantly with your bad english? The question is this, do you submit that you are more informed, better positioned, privy to data and information about Nigeria's power sector than Prof Barth Nnaji, Yes or No?
Just shut the hell up and answer the question, you rant too much nonsense.
Writing BS per second does not neccessarily mean you are smart dude.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Dont you think this line of yours is very stale and lacking content . . .

1) OBJ started something that was poorly implemented cos the power projects were bereft of means to supply their gas powered turbines . .

2) These poorly implemented projects were abandoned for 3 solid years during the late Yar Adua regime . . .

3) GEJ came in to re-activate these poorly planned and abandoned projects . .he also ensured their master plan was retweaked to ensure adequate,appropriate and prompt supply of needed gas meant for them . .

They also delivered on that gas - supply timeline which is the sole reason our power generation has increased to our all time high and the main reason for the much acknowledged improved supply

Hopefully by the end of this year, when the on coming NIPPs are expected to be commisioned . .I just hope you will applaud them than engage in needless criticism
You must think we are all fools to believe you.Eventhough we all agreed that OBJ mis managed funds meant for power project but we also know that his govt conceptualized almost all existing projects.In your bid to give GEJ all the credits,you claimed Yaradua did nothing for 3yrs when we knew that GEJ was part of the team n they were working towards 6000mw though till this day it still remain unrealistic.Power gen,tranms and distribution is a gradual and continuous thing even GEJ attested to that lately that before Nigerians can rejoice it will be around 2020.So please dont pull others down just because you want to paint GEJ as the messiah he did not start from ground Zero he also met some on going projects and existing structures.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by lightheart(m): 12:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: Look who is talking about failed educational system when your entire posts in the six days you have spent on NL lack grammar,you are a disgrace to your family.

Ogbeni, were you raised in an abuse home?? Join issues without the insults na. Bikonu
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

1) OBJ started something that was poorly implemented cos the power projects were bereft of means to supply their gas powered turbines . .

2) These poorly implemented projects were abandoned for 3 solid years during the late Yar Adua regime . . .

3) GEJ came in to re-activate these poorly planned and abandoned projects . .he also ensured their master plan was retweaked to ensure adequate,appropriate and prompt supply of needed gas meant for them . .

They also delivered on that gas - supply timeline which is the sole reason our power generation has increased to our all time high and the main reason for the much acknowledged improved supply

Hopefully by the end of this year, when the on coming NIPPs are expected to be commisioned . .I just hope you will applaud them than engage in needless criticism
You must think we are all fools to believe you.Eventhough we all agreed that OBJ mis managed funds meant for power project but we also know that his govt conceptualized almost all existing projects.In your bid to give GEJ all the credits,you claimed Yaradua did nothing for 3yrs when we knew that GEJ was part of the team n they were working towards 6000mw though till this day it still remain unrealistic.Power gen,tranms and distribution is a gradual and continuous thing even GEJ attested to that lately that before Nigerians can rejoice it will be around 2020.So please dont pull others down just because you want to paint GEJ as the messiah he did not start from ground Zero he also met some on going projects and existing structures.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2012
Electricity Union Accuses Nnaji, Minister Of Power Of Spending N400 Million,he is yet to clarify his role relation to several issues, including:
N395m collected from PHCN
allegedly for the Media, for 3
months;
N280m collected from PHCN
allegedly for Nigeria Army;
N200m collected from PHCN
allegedly for Unknown Project
in the Power Ministry;
N86m collected from PHCN
allegedly for a bullet -proof
vehicle;
N3m collected from PHCN
and donated to Enugu State
University of Technology
(ESUT); and
Employment of 20 people in
Enugu Zone of PHCN who are
his kith and kins as staff two
years after the closing date of
casual employment and close
of PHCN biometrics exercise.
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by chucky234(m): 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2012
lightheart:

Ogbeni, were you raised in an abuse home?? Join issues without the insults na. Bikonu
Guy those goons got me pissed with their sentiment to defend GEJ even when all is not well,I am from South South and voted for GEJ but I can never see red and then call it white. I don't belong to any political party,I fight for the betterment of this great nation and expect every well meaning Nigerians to do same or is that too much to ask?
Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by Dollarman101: 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
take dat: You must think we are all fools to believe you.Eventhough we all agreed that OBJ mis managed funds meant for power project but we also know that his govt conceptualized almost all existing projects.In your bid to give GEJ all the credits,you claimed Yaradua did nothing for 3yrs when we knew that GEJ was part of the team n they were working towards 6000mw though till this day it still remain unrealistic.Power gen,tranms and distribution is a gradual and continuous thing even GEJ attested to that lately that before Nigerians can rejoice it will be around 2020.So please dont pull others down just because you want to paint GEJ as the messiah he did not start from ground Zero he also met some on going projects and existing structures.
Bros, Abeg no vex. Pls tell us one single power plant that Yaradua revived during his term. It is even on record that YAR ADUA abandoned the power generating thermal stations under NIPP.
Megawatts during Yaradua hovered between 1500 to 2700 during rainy season. To tell you how incompetent Yaradua was on power, the identity of his power minister has faded from our consiousness. He was never as visible and active as the current minister-Prof Barth Nnaji.
Make we try dey talk true Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by takedat(m): 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
jmaine:

Re: Electricity Will Drop By 300MW After Rainy Season – NERC by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
I WANT TO STORE ELECTRICITY OH BEFORE THE SOMETHING DROP. LOL grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Insecurity: Buhari May Shun Reps’ Summons Over Fear Of PDP Lawmakers / Oba Of Benin In Lagos, Says Tinubu Presidency Is God-Ordained / APC Data Centre Not For Cloning Pvcs But For Member Registration – Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.