Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,456 members, 7,808,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Factors To Note Before Buying A Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Factors To Note Before Buying A Car (23033 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
acidtalk:

Well I am not a spare part seller.
But the last time I used a benz, maintenance wasn't funny.

What are you using now

Even Kkkeke parts no cheap. grin grin grin
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by DewiseKing: 4:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
What abt a Honda element, what is your opinion of getting it?
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
ITbomb: You have listed the ones not to buy , so which ones are we to buy base on your points

Keke Napep. Is it a car or motorcycle
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
pingo: What do you think about a Toyota Echo 2003 for a 400k monthly earner?

Can you post your pay slip for better advice
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
mko abiola: Nice thread for dose willing to buy car{s}.I av learnt frm ds.more of ds,cos am buying my 1st ride sooon preferably a jeep.
Pls,which jeep can u recommend for a 1st timer which will consume less money in terms of fuel consumption ,spare parts and d rest.

Better start with a small car before you start regreting, unless you have previous experience with cars.

When you buy a big car and place ''LEARNER'' on it, sorry for you. You must to collide one day and your loss will also be BIG.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by tuasefemi(m): 4:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
Please I need advice on which nissan ultima/maxima brand do you think I can go for in terms of fuel efficiency,maintenance, & initial capital,considering the fact that am a low/average income earner.
Advise please.....Thanks a lot!
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
Wallie: I don't even know where to start! shocked

Start anywhere. Are you singing or sometin
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by arisetayo(m): 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Wat can u say about nissan primera as regard fuel consumption.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by naturalwaves: 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
arisetayo: Wat can u say about nissan primera as regard fuel consumption.
My friend uses that car.it is highly efficient,it saves a lot of fuel.It is very easy to maintain(with regards to fuel consumption).
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by emyworld: 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2012
I cannot agree less with find out but I disagree with the first poster on his analysis of cars that consume fuel. For e.g I currently drive mercedes benz c200. I drove full tank from abuja to lagos. I used to drive camry 2003, I refuel at least once before getting to lagos. I beg to disagree with the original poster. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by erico2k2(m): 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
emyworld: I cannot agree less with find out but I disagree with the first poster on his analysis of cars that consume fuel. For e.g I currently drive mercedes benz c200. I drove full tank from abuja to lagos. I used to drive camry 2003, I refuel at least once before getting to lagos. I beg to disagree with the original poster. Thanks.
the first poster was ill informed when he/she did the first post but I think better educated now,Just to add to what we all have said, the names of car has nothing to do with fuel consumption rather the Size of the Engine and the manners of the driver is or are what determines the fuel efficiency of a car if you search carefully there is a FIAT Punot with a 0.8 ltre engine and also a Toyota with 1.1 ltre engine and a BMW with 1.6 engine etc

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by omicron(m): 6:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
subscribed
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by baaliyah(m): 6:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
Factors include:
fuel consumptn: fuel is like food to man. If u have to drive u must buy fuel. How thirsty is the car.
spare parts availabilty: can i get parts at APO in Abuja or LADIPO in Lag. need to order or not even available.
Parts affordability: Can i buy 1 head lamp @ 80k, steering rack 100k.fuel pump 120k
Mechanic: Who will fix the car when there is need.
Resale value: i want to sell,is it marketable, how much.
Others are:
Terrain. family size. movement pattern office/long distanc

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Eazeee(m): 6:31pm On Aug 31, 2012
[quote
author=acidtalk]IMPORTANT FACTORS TO NOTE BEFORE BUYING A CAR

There are very important factors to consider than just paying for a car
and driving it into the streets.

So many people just buy cars due to what they can afford, Car brand and
status thing but there are more important things to note.

Below are some of the thing to consider before paying for a car.

* Fuel Consumption : some particular cars look very sleek and attractive
as well as comfortable but by manufacturers idea, such car consumes a
lot of fuel. I.e Mercedez Benz, BMW and Volvo. Are cars with high fuel
consumption. If you know your income doesn't permit you to spend heavily
on fuel then it is advised you settle for cars with lower fuel
consumption.

* Cost of Parts : if you earn less than N100,000 monthly, there are
certain cars even if you get at almost free you shouldn't bother
considering because of their high cost of spare parts which most times
are not only scare but also quite expensive. Such cars are Peugeot,
Benz, Volvo and BMW.

* Avoid Cars Attractive To Theft : if you stay in a neighborhood that
isn't so secure and also know you routine are to places with less
security, you are advised to avoid buying some certain kind of cars.
Yes! You may decide to install a car tracker and also do insurance
policy, but will this stop your neighbors from stealing you Side mirror,
wiper, lights and rims? Know how secured your neighborhood is before
buying some certain type of cars with 'high demand of certain parts'.

* Road Access : If you stay in a neighborhood with good road
construction and perfect network, then your concern of acquiring a SUV
(jeep) should be limited as it might not be an immediate need as you car
no matter how flooded is not likely to be affect due to the road
construction. On the other hand, if you know you reside in a poor road
construction neighborhood, then even if you know you need a SUV or high
kind of car also consider the maintenance cost of the car before
purchasing.

* Distance Traveled Regularly : if you are a long distance traveler (I.e
distance between your home to work) you need to find out cars that are
not easily affected on long distance traveled. Some car brands can't
withstand long distance as they easily get heated up and start affect
mechanical and wiring aspects of the car.

More to come soon.[/quote]

yes boss
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 31, 2012
@ op it is better for you to hide your ignorance than show it in public and shame urself.U mentioned cars not to be bought becos of slight extra consumption for d exilarating performance and road balance they give because of better and heavier suspension but u also failed to mention cars like toyote honda and generally japanese cars which are easily stolen cos they lack adequate security without alarm system.Cars like d peugeot 406 prestige which I use and love provides a range to choose from but d same body design.It has d 1.8,2.0,2.2.ew10 and ew 12 engines to choose from.any one who drives fast and needs balance would go for a benz,peugeot,bmw,audi.and anyone who needs normal performance and fear of car snatchers who will catch u with a danfo bus try japanese cars dat may jump into d nearest ditch @ 140km/hr.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Ogosoga: 7:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]@ op it is better for you to hide your ignorance than show it in public and shame urself.U mentioned cars not to be bought becos of slight extra consumption for d exilarating performance and road balance they give because of better and heavier suspension but u also failed to mention cars like toyote honda and generally Japanese cars which are easily stolen cos they lack adequate security without alarm system.Cars like d peugeot 406 prestige which I use and love provides a range to choose from but d same body design.It has d 1.8,2.0,2.2.ew10 and ew 12 engines to choose from.any one who drives fast and needs balance would go for a benz,peugeot,bmw,audi.and anyone who needs normal performance and fear of car snatchers who will catch u with a danfo bus try japanese cars dat may jump into d nearest ditch @ 140km/hr.

Well said,
Most Nigerians are ignorant of cars and their abilities, Benz, BMW, FORD, AUDI, PEUGEOT, are all good product and very durable than the Japanese cars, but due to the fact that Nigerian mechanics specialize in Japanese cars they keep on condemning other brand.

I bought Honda accord 1999 model and BMW 2000 Model both in 2005 and 2006 respectively after using both for 3 years I sworn not to have anything to do with Japanese any more, now I am using Ford Taurus 2008 model and it gives me everything I need in a car.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Silas0: @ acid talk I'm fixin of gettin a 2009 camry or 2008 accord.pls wat do u think about d maintenance cost?
the automatic gearbox for that baby goes for half a million naira...just saying
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Beaf1: 8:03pm On Aug 31, 2012
How are Renault cars in terms of fuel efficiency? I have used honda products but i suddenly developed love for renault products.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
i think with regards to maintenance...atimes, some people are too buzy to take their cars for repairs themselves...if you cant afford these modern service garages and rely on the road-side mechanics, its important you do away with middle men who will only make you spend more on maintenance in the name of helping you out. i use a 97 vw jetta, the car is pretty reliable, i got it after nysc and needed to fix my AC, the guy who sold it to me offered a driver at his office to help me out, i spent over 40 thousand naira in a month on changing the ac compressor and his workmanship, only for the AC to pack up after barely 3 weeks of using it, he insisted i needed to change other accessories of the cooling unit. i got disappointed and stopped patronizing him,because he was arrogant and i even had to beg him even though i was paying him. anyway, i discovered a plethora of VW experts at Iyana Itire....turned out the compressor he got was bad. i had to redo the whole thing and spent 20k...less than half of what it cost me initially and the chaps were very polite. so, you would need a good garage so as to make sense with efficient spending and value for your hard-earned money
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by leuelliot(m): 8:55pm On Aug 31, 2012
nony30: @ op it is better for you to hide your ignorance than show it in public and shame urself.U mentioned cars not to be bought becos of slight extra consumption for d exilarating performance and road balance they give because of better and heavier suspension but u also failed to mention cars like toyote honda and generally japanese cars which are easily stolen cos they lack adequate security without alarm system.Cars like d peugeot 406 prestige which I use and love provides a range to choose from but d same body design.It has d 1.8,2.0,2.2.ew10 and ew 12 engines to choose from.any one who drives fast and needs balance would go for a benz,peugeot,bmw,audi.and anyone who needs normal performance and fear of car snatchers who will catch u with a danfo bus try japanese cars dat may jump into d nearest ditch @ 140km/hr.

I second this. Op how can you just wake up and say volvo Benz and BMW consume fuel, are all their vehicles gas guzzlers? Please make proper research.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 9:03pm On Aug 31, 2012
Idon-do-me:
@OP & Find Out, which small jeep do you think has better fuel efficiency that their cost is low? Am thinking of getting one soon by God's grace. Thanks!

SpaceAngel:

Some SUVs with such qualities are Toyota rav4, Honda crv, mitsubishi-outlander

i concur with these choices. if you cannot afford a toks, you can get a good and clean well maintained naija used for moderate amounts

*If you r buying any naija used vehicle, always go with a COMPETENT and TRUSTWORTHY mechanic to check it out THOROUGHLY for you*
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
gmyguy: the automatic gearbox for that baby goes for half a million naira...just saying

lol. but then unless he's extremely careless/negligent/ignorant, he wont have to replace his gearbox.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
i think its a toyota problem...the camry was brand new not tokunbo....i mean...there was nothing wrong, except if a witch smashed it up overnight.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 9:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
Wallie: To add to what was already said, there are quite a few variables to consider that affects fuel consumption and the size of the engine is just one of them.

The easiest way to know what you’re getting into is to check the Miles Per Gallon (MPG) or Kilometers per liter rating of the vehicle in question because with everything being equal, the manufacturers ratings will give you the ideal numbers.

Things that affect fuel consumption:

1. Weight of the vehicle – take out all the junk and unnecessary stuff in your car/trunk
2. Underinflated tires – creates more friction which means the car uses more power to move
3. Size of engine - with everything else being equal, a bigger engine will use more fuel
4. Efficiency of engine – some engines are designed efficiently which might result in a bigger engine being more fuel efficient than a smaller engine
5. State of engine - unclogged air filter, good spark plugs, type of engine oil will result in higher gas mileage
6. Stop and go traffic – your gas mileage will suffer every time you use your brakes because using your brakes means that you need more “new” energy to continue moving as the “old” energy you used to get up to speed dissipated into heat created by the brakes.
7. Quality of fuel – bad fuel will reduce the efficiency of your car because the ECU (brain box) will compensate for the fuel by retarding “timing” to avoid damaging your engine.
8. How car is driven – the higher the RPM (revving the engine), the more fuel you burn.

On point boss.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by tundesto(m): 9:21pm On Aug 31, 2012
Thank you very much for the insight. Please I want to know which car is good for long distance travel as far as heating up the engine is concerned. I'm a frequent long distance traveller and don't know the type I can buy.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Chivee(f): 11:20pm On Aug 31, 2012
What is ur assessment of a peugeot 406 coupe as regards fuel consumsion and spare parts??
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 11:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ninilowo: So far so good; the price of garri has not been affected. grin

So soRry but you are a big IDI*OT for posting such on this thread.

You are not only insane but also childish.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by samregi: 11:35pm On Aug 31, 2012
@acid talk, be mindful the way u hit direct on some names of manufactures...
from your write-up, its very obvious , u have written off MERCEDES brand.... that can land u a legal blow , u kmow....
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by andywaves(m): 11:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
people always have the wrong notion bout benz volvos n bmw ,any one of them u buy from the late 90s down is actually very fuel efficient.a lot are actually more so than the toyotas and hondas fuel efficiency depends a lot on engine size, power output(horse power),4 wheel drive,rear or front wheel drive, body mass of vehicle.even your regular toyota camry ,may consume more fuel if the MAF is faulty or air filter dirty and this won't affect the performance of the car just a slight or major increase in fuel consumption will be noticed.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by avolink(m): 11:55pm On Aug 31, 2012
Can som1 pls advice me i want to buy a Honda Civic auto transmsn, 2000 model wt V6 engine which av already deposited for.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by andywaves(m): 12:21am On Sep 01, 2012
@avolink correct me if am wrong but the civic doesn't have a v6 engine check well.but any how never fear the civic is always a good buy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Overheating – All You Need To Know / Six Areas To Check Before Buying A Used Vehicle / FRSC's Offences & Penalties List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.