Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,409 members, 7,800,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Factors To Note Before Buying A Car - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Factors To Note Before Buying A Car (23027 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by avolink(m): 12:33am On Sep 01, 2012
Alrite, i wouldnt know if its trully a V6. Like i zd earlier av only made a deposit 4 it but i avnt seen it but d dealer zd its a V6. Howeva i hope diaz no related or peculiar problems associated wt d brand
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by andywaves(m): 12:48am On Sep 01, 2012
it is possible that whoever owned it over there upgraded the engine with that of an accord (if it would fit) but a 2000 civic originally comes with a 1.6 ltr engine,they r very durable and fuel efficient engines.but honda v6 engines are prone to transmission problems if not properly maintained.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by bigl: 2:15am On Sep 01, 2012
Good thread. I'm learning fast.

Wђat do u think about Mercedes Benz A160? I'm considering gettin one. To be used within state and sometimes, lagos to ibadan, or lagos to abeokuta. Nothing more. Is it a good buy or does it give problems? Waiting ernestly for ur replies. Thanks
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by samkoro: 7:21am On Sep 01, 2012
The poster has a very shallow knowledge of cars that's why he generalized rather than detailing.Those car brands he mentioned are about the best in safety and durability.Those are cars that are stable at top speed.Recent models of those cars are fuel efficient
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 7:28am On Sep 01, 2012
samkoro: The poster has a very shallow knowledge of cars that's why he generalized rather than detailing.Those car brands he mentioned are about the best in safety and durability.Those are cars that are stable at top speed.Recent models of those cars are fuel efficient

Oga no need for insults now.
If you have a nonshallow knowledge then go ahead and enlighten us rather than sitting your sorry a55 condemning.

Na people like you no dey ever progress for life because all you do is rather than give constructive criticism and suggestion go all over condemning a good work one has done but didn't do it perfectly.

Your life is so pathetic as well as others who could develop on the thread but rather dicided to display their stu*pidity and ignorance.

Now crawl off before I use Keke Napep crush your already leaking brain.

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by kemywise: 11:14am On Sep 01, 2012
knowing the buy of car, also learn a lot in your site, also need the current buy of goods in Nigeria and new models of car and inventions.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by tukzee: 11:42am On Sep 01, 2012
@FindOut Thanks for the infor,
pls kindly advise me, I intend buying toyota sienna 2001 model, I do an average of 100km to and fro everyday
what is the fuel efficiency like and cost of maintenance
thanks
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by ajadek(m): 4:27pm On Sep 01, 2012
Find Out!:

No probs Boss. I frequent the car talk section to learn more and share my own little knowledge when I can. I'm around, & if any question pass my power, i know my gurus here (Siena, Fhemmy, Trac, Sultaan, Ikenna e.t.c.) will do justice to it.lol
pls I want to buy car and I was thinking of going 4 toyota or honda in term of fuel and maitainers.2008 toyota or eod.pls I need ur advice.or infinity jeep
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 10:26pm On Sep 01, 2012
tukzee: @FindOut Thanks for the infor,
pls kindly advise me, I intend buying toyota sienna 2001 model, I do an average of 100km to and fro everyday
what is the fuel efficiency like and cost of maintenance
thanks

visit this link to see the fuel economy figures of the 2001 Toyota Sienna

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=17102

Well, the Sienna is practically a V6 Toyota Camry minivan. From my observations, report of friends, neighbours, family members, that vehicle is quite easy to maintain. usually, you only have to service your engine when due and you are fine. Once you notice any strange sound, get your trusted mechanic to look at it immediately. But the ride generally doesn't give problems. & despite its size, it moves quite fast too, thanks to the V6 engine.

If you spend a lot of time in traffic, you do not really have the need for a mini van, you don't pass through terrible roads often and you re not willing to spend much on fuel, then I advise you consider the 2001 Camry.

Note that the Sienna's fuel economy is not bad for a V6 minivan, infact, its not bad at all. And well, if you must get a minivan, get the Sienna.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 10:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
ajadek: pls I want to buy car and I was thinking of going 4 toyota or honda in term of fuel and maitainers.2008 toyota or eod.pls I need ur advice.or infinity jeep

Hmmmm...... the infiniti jeeps, whether the QX4 (3.3L or 3.5L V6), the FX35 (3.5L V6) or the FX45(4.5L V8) are powerful machines.....and THIRSTY as well.

If you are really after good fuel economy, then i suggest you go for a 4 cylinder Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Or better still, a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. Or if you want an SUV with good economy, try the Highlander (preferably the 4 cylinder), the Rav4 or the CR-V. Whichever you decide to buy, make sure you carry out regular maintenance and service as specified. then make use of the internet to visit online car forums and know the issue you might face with your particular vehicle model, and ways you can completely avoid them or manage them when they occur
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by MOBBDEEP: 7:40am On Sep 02, 2012
Billyonaire: grin

What is that ?
You must have been very mischievious when you were young & your siblings & other relations must have had a swell time been raised with you !
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by MOBBDEEP: 8:53am On Sep 02, 2012
Beaf!:
How are Renault cars in terms of fuel efficiency? I have used honda products but i suddenly developed love for renault products.

I can't forget that fateful day.
I took a taxi-cab from one of the roadside settler villages along Owerri-Onitsha Express. Then something caught my attention ( I'm a type that pay attention to details no matter how miniscule ) - a 300,000 km marked odometer.
Then I surveyed the whole interior-intact with no overt sign of wear & tears despite the cheap quality of the materials.
All gadgets were sparkling efficiently working.
The engine was too much though the roadnoise was high (probably a fault of body design & aerodynamics).
I interacted with the driver who told me (I can't remember vividly) he got it from a ?Construction Company Whiteman staff. He told me he uses less than 10litres of Petrol (which might be non-premium grade for all I know) to & fro Owerri-Onitsha which is about 172kms (86km 86km).
When I alighted from the car, I saw that the body could pass for almost new.
There & then, I saw the Maker's name - Dacia (which is now owned by Renault except for their home-sited company based at Romania) & the brand Logan.
I made up my mind then (albeit how foolish it sounds) that my 1st brand new will be from that maker.
I was spurred to go online & I was impressed.
The cons against them were basically :
*cheap interior material qualities
*almost mechanical operated & functional
*few gadgets especially on the lower/lowline spec.
The summary of the cons is that it's bland.
And that's where it ends.
The pros are too 'gbasky' :
* Was built for roughness with the Tropics in mind.
* Engine was designed to operate low-grade / low-octane fuel ( a very big point because this is what kills some of our vehicles)
* One of the lower cars with very high ground clearance without compromising the stability.
* Solid though acclaimed cheap suspension that rocks.
* Very reliable ( as attested to by the august cab-driver I had encounter with ).
* The killer pro was even the starting price which even beat some of the new Korean-Japanese Automakers ( though it is more expensive to add options e.g disc changer, Leather Upholstery, spoilers etc)
I read somewhere that a large percentage of the Eastern Europe based cab-drivers use this Automaker thanks to its fuel economy, reliability, efficiency & low maintenance.
Some cars are just under-rated with poor press acceptance & popularity.
I have an eye on the 'Duster' which is their entry/mid-size SUV. It has, of all jeeps whose reviews I've read, the best gas mileage (almost better than some sedan/ordinary cars.
It may be as if I'm biased in this write-up/reply but believe me, I've tried as much as possible to put emotions aside, speak with facts which I can see from my own point of view while acknowledging that I may be playing 'god' here because some people's decision will be influenced, if not affected by this piece.

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by xtayle(m): 11:27am On Sep 02, 2012
Quite an enlightening thread. I commend every positive Poster!!!!!!
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by nannyo(f): 5:11am On Sep 03, 2012
acidtalk:

Maintenance cost generally has to do with your earnings.

Your earnings is the determinant factor of how xheap, reasonable and expensive the maintenance is going to be. But on the average I believe the maintenance for that particular car is fairly reasonable and also with available parts.
[sub][/sub]go for camry. Camry is d bum
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by winzy(m): 5:34am On Sep 04, 2012
Plsss...advice me: should i buy a Toyota Camry 1998 model or a golf iv,plss
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by andywaves(m): 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2012
@bigl sorry bro I ve kinda busy I really don't know much abt d benz a class I know its a 1.6 ltr engine and is good on fuel but don't know how durable it is just cuz its a benz doesn't mean its not prone to problems but if ur using it majorly in lagos I think it should b alrite
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by andywaves(m): 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2012
@ winzy straight up camry.... More space, more durable, no electrical issues, cheaper parts more accessible technicians n parts great fuel economy although d golf beats it on fuel dependin on engine size I think d camry is a better choice
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by omoseun(f): 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
Kindly advice me, i want to buy nissan quest, how economical is it to fuel and maintain??
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by cubedave: 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Acidtalk/ikenna/Everyone, I read ur comments, sure feels professional, pls assist, what's your opinion on Acura cars? Am thinking of buying Acura tsx 2009 tech package
Please help ok
Thanks
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by ziccoit: 3:14pm On Aug 05, 2013
Quite an interesting thread. It separates knowledge, experience and facts from misconceptions and hearsays.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by owee: 4:03pm On Aug 05, 2013
MOBBDEEP:

I can't forget that fateful day.
I took a taxi-cab from one of the roadside settler villages along Owerri-Onitsha Express. Then something caught my attention ( I'm a type that pay attention to details no matter how miniscule ) - a 300,000 km marked odometer.
Then I surveyed the whole interior-intact with no overt sign of wear & tears despite the cheap quality of the materials.
All gadgets were sparkling efficiently working.
The engine was too much though the roadnoise was high (probably a fault of body design & aerodynamics).
I interacted with the driver who told me (I can't remember vividly) he got it from a ?Construction Company Whiteman staff. He told me he uses less than 10litres of Petrol (which might be non-premium grade for all I know) to & fro Owerri-Onitsha which is about 172kms (86km 86km).
When I alighted from the car, I saw that the body could pass for almost new.
There & then, I saw the Maker's name - Dacia (which is now owned by Renault except for their home-sited company based at Romania) & the brand Logan.
I made up my mind then (albeit how foolish it sounds) that my 1st brand new will be from that maker.
I was spurred to go online & I was impressed.
The cons against them were basically :
*cheap interior material qualities
*almost mechanical operated & functional
*few gadgets especially on the lower/lowline spec.
The summary of the cons is that it's bland.
And that's where it ends.
The pros are too 'gbasky' :
* Was built for roughness with the Tropics in mind.
* Engine was designed to operate low-grade / low-octane fuel ( a very big point because this is what kills some of our vehicles)
* One of the lower cars with very high ground clearance without compromising the stability.
* Solid though acclaimed cheap suspension that rocks.
* Very reliable ( as attested to by the august cab-driver I had encounter with ).
* The killer pro was even the starting price which even beat some of the new Korean-Japanese Automakers ( though it is more expensive to add options e.g disc changer, Leather Upholstery, spoilers etc)
I read somewhere that a large percentage of the Eastern Europe based cab-drivers use this Automaker thanks to its fuel economy, reliability, efficiency & low maintenance.
Some cars are just under-rated with poor press acceptance & popularity.
I have an eye on the 'Duster' which is their entry/mid-size SUV. It has, of all jeeps whose reviews I've read, the best gas mileage (almost better than some sedan/ordinary cars.
It may be as if I'm biased in this write-up/reply but believe me, I've tried as much as possible to put emotions aside, speak with facts which I can see from my own point of view while acknowledging that I may be playing 'god' here because some people's decision will be influenced, if not affected by this piece.

Interesting piece...Reading this brought to mind my experience with the Duster....It was used to convey us from the airport to office to hotel ..... during my last project in PH...And I must say I was really impressed with the car...though its not the most attractive of cars but comes across as solid and practical.....

Do you know where one can purchase one in Nigeria cos am currently seeking a pocket friendly but rugged and fuel efficient SUV to buy since my neighborhood has terrible roads and is prone to flooding..
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by MOBBDEEP: 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
owee:

Interesting piece...Reading this brought to mind my experience with the Duster....It was used to convey us from the airport to office to hotel ..... during my last project in PH...And I must say I was really impressed with the car...though its not the most attractive of cars but comes across as solid and practical.....

Do you know where one can purchase one in Nigeria cos am currently seeking a pocket friendly but rugged and fuel efficient SUV to buy since my neighborhood has terrible roads and is prone to flooding..

Pls, kindly pardon my late response.
I seldom come online cos of my busy work-nature.
The Dacia/Renault line, I think though not with certainty, is being marketed and serviced by Stallion Motors with the major depot for the Duster, interestingly, at Port-Harcourt.
Pls, kindly ask specific & detail question from any Automobile Marketing Firm and you will never miss road.
You can't go wrong with the choice of that car
Cheers
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by meetvic: 12:04am On Aug 08, 2013
I am currently going for a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. I s it pocket friendly? How is d Maintenance cost. pls advice
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Shadeolad(f): 4:45pm On Dec 19, 2013
Good day all. Pls I need advice on what choice to make btw a 2000 model pathfinder and a 2002 mazda mpv. I need an Suv or minivan for my catering profession. Now av seen d 2 cars ,fell in love with d mazda mpv but my hubby prefers the pathfinder. Point to note is dat I drive thru rough roads frequently and carry lots of loads due to the nature of my job. Pls car gurus in d house I need ur advice. More so will d pathfinder be easier to maintain than the mazda mpv?, fuel efficiency etc. Thanks.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by joba78: 12:00pm On Sep 03, 2014
please which kind of car is good for a 20k/ month earner
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Jonnsam19(m): 7:14pm On Sep 03, 2014
hmmmm...
guys, where i can buy a good Honda or Rover?
need advice ASAP
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by paulejiba: 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2015
i really love this forum but detest abusive language. i own a lion ew10 and must recommend it to any one that loves good cars. i also advocate that the life of any vehicle largely depends on the operators maintenance culture. ...... have fun.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Overheating – All You Need To Know / Top 5 Car Accessories Every Nigerian Should Have In Their Cars At All Times. / Six Areas To Check Before Buying A Used Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.