Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,474 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:06 PM

Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity (7964 Views)

Aminu Tambuwal And Other Northern Governors Pose For A Shot At Sokoto Airport / US To Send Soldiers To Tackle Boko-Haram / Jonathan Seeks US Support To Tackle Boko Haram, Oil Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by OAM4J: 5:02am On Aug 30, 2012
Buhari: North’s governors should tackle insecurity

Former Head of State Gen. Muhammadu Buhari yesterday told governors in the North to tackle the insecurity that is crippling the region.

He urged them to adopt measures to end the violence, which has virtually killed the economy of the North.

Fundamentalist sect Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the wave of violence that has claimed many lives.

Gen. Buhari spoke at the Government House in Kano during a visit to Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

The former Head of State said he was worried about the security situation in Kano and Maiduguri. He recalled the volume of commercial activities in Borno and Kano states in the past.

“Kano is known beyond the shores of the country, due largely to its economic status. It’s a centre of commerce. Today, it’s a shadow of itself. The industries are dead and we did not predict this situation until the security crisis in Borno got out of control and this has vastly affected the state of commerce in this traditional city.”

“When I was a governor (in Borno State) I knew the level of influx of foreigners transacting business through the Borno/Chad border down to Kano. From the Maiduguri end, you got traders from Cameroun, from Chad and Niger, all that for now is gone and you try to imagine how many Nigerians, particularly from this part of the country have been pushed into abject poverty.

“His Excellency, given the strategic position of Kano as the centre of commerce in the region, I have the belief that you will do well by ensuring that the situation is addressed as soon as possible,” Buhari told Kwankwaso.

He said he was in Kano to inaugurate the secretariat of his party, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and also look into the conflict among leaders and members, resulting from power tussle.

Buhari condemned the country’s electoral process and accused the managers of gross inconsistency in the administration of the policies and programmes of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), adding that INEC has been prominent in the manipulation of electoral rules. My happiness is that “the only thing they have not been able to change is the content of the Holy Quran.”

“One of INEC’s acts is how to register political associations into political parties and anybody who wants to participate in elective offices from Councillor to President must have a platform, which must be one of the registered parties.

“And these political parties are not supposed to be registered until their manifestoes have satisfied the conditions stipulated in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Electoral Act.

Prior to any election , there must be an Electoral Act, which guides the elections in any society, but in Nigeria, this does not follow,” he said.

Kwankwaso said Gen. Buhari’s visit signified love which should be emulated by opposition leaders.

On security, the governor said the leadership had made tremendous efforts, which are paying off as he admitted that the January violence in Kano was shocking and devastating.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news/59626-buhari%3A-north%E2%80%99s-governors-should-tackle-insecurity.html
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by maclatunji: 8:53am On Aug 30, 2012
Interesting comments especially about trade.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Demdem(m): 8:55am On Aug 30, 2012
Good words from the General.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by sambos994(m): 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2012
Buhari has finally got his senses? Wow...

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Psylas(m): 1:34pm On Aug 30, 2012
undecided
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by miteolu(m): 1:36pm On Aug 30, 2012
Rule your world
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by schorlbone(m): 1:46pm On Aug 30, 2012
sambos994: Buhari has finally got his senses? Wow...
mr sambo, what do u mean by ur post $ɪ̣̝̇я̩̥̊?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by schorlbone(m): 1:47pm On Aug 30, 2012
realmscape: FASHOLA /ROCHAS 2015....THE DIFEERENCE IN VICTORY WILL BE SO WIDE THAT RIGGING WILL BE NULL N VOID... cool cool cool
for wetin na?? Dat one na story Ooo undecided
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by strangest(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
Mallam Ayotallah Buhari don dey talk sense maybe because of the threat from IBB to expose him.. We dey watch

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by sambos994(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
schorlbone: mr sambo, what do u mean by ur post $ɪ̣̝̇я̩̥̊?

So after a year of non stop attacks he finally tells his brothers to tackle the Boko Haram situation.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by mkmyers45(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hmmm...Strong Words from the General...If i didnt know better i would have believed it
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by str8talk1: 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2012
"...d only thing INEC has not been able to change is the contents of The Holy Quran"-Gen. Buhari
Pls,som1 shld tell me if INEC has changed/altered d contents of The Holy Bible?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 30, 2012
Na now buhari eyes open? This is what he should have said a long time ago! Now that boko haram is in peace talks with the government,this is the time to bring lasting solution to the security problems in the north.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by sultangem: 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2012
SAI BUHARI!!!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by udemzyudex(m): 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2012
i thought GEJ was the only person to tackle th insecurity in Nigeria.. he is the president of Nigeria does not mean he can handle everything alone,he need their support.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by soledadd: 1:56pm On Aug 30, 2012
They are now realizing the harm done to themselves by themselves. They thought that its only the christians and the easterners that will suffer but look at it now, the huge business investments made by igbos which helped in developing their towns are gone just like dat. This is a great lesson to the northerners as well as the igbos. Udo!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by schorlbone(m): 1:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
sambos994:

So after a year of non stop attacks he finally tells his brothers to tackle the Boko Haram situation.
does he have to tell the so-called governor before they will rise up to their tasks? The last time I checked is the duty of all governors to provide security to the people not untill someone tell them to do it. It is their responsibilities, the only thing he can do as an elder statesman and oppositon is to issue them advice. So bros I rest my case Ooo!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by fankasibe: 1:59pm On Aug 30, 2012
it is only a thief that know the footstep of another thief on the rock......pls do that before another bomb strikes grin grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by sambos994(m): 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
schorlbone: does he have to tell the so-called governor before they will rise up to their tasks? The last time I checked is the duty of all governors to provide security to the people not untill someone tell them to do it. It is their responsibilities, the only thing he can do as an elder statesman and oppositon is to issue them advice. So bros I rest my case Ooo!

Well as you can see, the only thing the governors know how to do is chop money.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by sharubutu(m): 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
I'm a great fan of Gen. Buhari. But, why must he always bring up religious issues when discussing politics? What's the correlation between the Holy Quran and the activities of INEC?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 30, 2012
Boko Haram Strategy has failed. So what next ? laughing @ "INEC is not able to change the contents of the KORAN" - Always sectional in his religious fanaticism. Buhari! may your political prostitution RIP! You cant be President of Nigeria forever

4 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by COOLDUN: 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2012
Good comment from the incorruptible General, Buhari the good and truthful people of Nigeria hold you to the highest esteem.You meant well for the country untill the evil and the anti people government came and took away the good and peoples' government of you and your second in command Maj Gen Tunde Idiagbon RIP. Gen M.Buhari you remain the best leader the Nigeria people lost on the way.God will continue to guide,bless and direct you and the family of your late second in command.Long Live Gen M.Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Godjone(m): 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2012
After boko don kil ppl finish abi? Wia was he wen boko haram held sway in d north? Abeg make im go sleep jore! We no need im advice

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by 9javoice: 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2012
Buhari again? I thought he was BH.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by fortyfeet(m): 2:11pm On Aug 30, 2012
buhari, at long last!
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by meksroland: 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
The malam is tired of sponsoring boko boyz and he's now trying to run. He can run but he can't hide

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by mathskill: 2:13pm On Aug 30, 2012

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by kumbalo(m): 2:18pm On Aug 30, 2012
str8_talk: "...d only thing INEC has not been able to change is the contents of The Holy Quran"-Gen. Buhari
Pls,som1 shld tell me if INEC has changed/altered d contents of The Holy Bible?
Must he always bring religion into everything?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by CuteTj(m): 2:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
Ex- NSA said that PDP is boko haram,PDP national chairman even sympathises with them. So wetin remain? Abeg make we free Buhari jare....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Man Patrick Ifeanyi Uba / Tribunal Commences Hearing On Atiku’s, Other Petitions Against Buhari, APC / Village pictures of Nigeria's Biggest politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.