Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,481 members, 7,808,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK (15002 Views)

2 Nigerian Students Face Deportation At A Canadian University / 2000 Students Face Deportation Within 60 Days / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by mukina2: 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2012
The students may be expelled within 60 days if they don’t find another way to sponsor their studies, the National Union of Students (NUS) said.

London Met announced the loss of its Highly Trusted Status on the university’s website. A UK Border Agency (UKBA) official claimed that London Met had failed to address serious deficiencies identified by the UKBA six months ago.

London Metropolitan discovered in a survey that more than a quarter of the university’s foreign students did not have permission to be in the UK, Immigration Minister Damian Green told the AP. The university’s visa-granting status was suspended last month.

"We have been working with them since then, but the latest audit revealed problems with 61% of files randomly sampled. Allowing London Metropolitan University to continue to sponsor and teach international students was not an option,” the statement by UKBA said.

David Willetts, the Universities Minister, said that a special task force will be formed to aid the foreigners affected by the loss of sponsorship, including help “finding other institutions at which to finish their studies.”

Professor Malcolm Gillies, vice chancellor at the London Metropolitan, expressed concern that the UKBA measure could be broadened to every educational institution in the country, ITV News reported.

The National Union of Students (NUS) contacted top UK officials on Wednesday to “express anger” over the situation, and to point out the “potentially catastrophic effects on higher education as a 12.5-billion pound per year export industry for the UK”.

NUS President Liam Burns also called the measures “disgusting,” arguing that foreign students were “used as a political football by politicians who seem either incapable of understanding, or are simply uncaring about the impact of their decisions on individuals, universities and the UK economy.”

The London Met claimed that the UKBA probe had left a "10 million pound black hole" in their budget.

In an interview with the Huffington Post, London Met student Yemi, a Nigerian national, said, “I'm disappointed my plans went down the drain. … I chose London Met over Middlesex and City, and it proved costly. As early as February I had made plans for London Met and never in my wildest imagination did I think this could happen.”

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/284-breaking-news/43661-15-000-nigeria-students-face-deportation-in-uk
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by justwise(m): 1:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
mukina2:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/284-breaking-news/43661-15-000-nigeria-students-face-deportation-in-uk

I think that website over exaggerated the figure of Nigerians affected. Out of 2000 foreign students affected, 1500 can not possibly be Nigerians.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by shadrach77: 1:13pm On Aug 31, 2012
justwise: [/b]

I think that website over exaggerated the figure of Nigerians affected. Out of 2000 foreign students affected, 1500 can not possibly be Nigerians.
they exaggerated - there is no such thing as over exaggerate cheesy cheesy cheesy

9 Likes

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by sammyyoung2(m): 1:20pm On Aug 31, 2012
shadrach77:
they exaggerated - there is no such thing as over exaggerate cheesy cheesy cheesy

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by kandiikane(m): 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2012

LOL! Who told you so?

1 Like

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by scopusng(m): 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
Is that all? Well, UNIBEN is available.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Afam4eva(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
shadrach77:
I guess "over-exaggerated is just to paint an astronomical picture that exaggerated may not cover".

6 Likes

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by justwise(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
shadrach77:

You can use 'over exaggerate'... when the exaggeration is over the top, then its fair to say that one has 'over exaggerated'

1 Like

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by megxo(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
scopusng: Is that all? Well, UNIBEN is available.
no be lie.........com 2 our raz town of BENIN.... grin

2 Likes

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by justwise(m): 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2012
kandiikane:

LOL! Who told you so?

That figure was not stated in UKBA website neither was it stated in bbc or skynews website that reported the news first.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by justwise(m): 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2012
afam4eva:
I guess "over-exaggerated is just to paint an astronomical picture that exaggerated may not cover".

That is the point.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by tunax5loon(m): 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2012
Nigerians and English.... let's leave grammar and face the OP
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Siga: 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2012
My sympathy to these kids.....Never wish to be in their shoes man....dem go don dey confused as hell....
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by ouagadougou(m): 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
Can Nigerians ever not be affected by deportations?

1 Like

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by temujin1234: 1:49pm On Aug 31, 2012
What a shambles. It is a big shame for those affected.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by MMM2(m): 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2012
UK don dey get moral undecided
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by justwise(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
[quote author=y2kaustin.[/quote]

Zeus I: Eeehyaaa

Trade carefully you two, tribal comments/posts don't stand a chance in Travel Section, so don't even go there.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Okijajuju1(m): 2:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
No comment..
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by aryzgreat: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2012
Okija_juju:
No comment..

But u just commented cheesy
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by olivertwist: 2:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
One sure thing is that, they can all claim back every pound they've spent from the Uni. As they still have valid student visa, they can transfer to another Uni but unfortunately, most Uni have stopped collecting applications. Hope they find a solution asap
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by realmscape: 2:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
megxo: no be lie.........com 2 our raz town of BENIN.... grin

that is to say if can pass the cut off of JAMB....all those orisirishi schools wen admission de easy....
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Opoki(m): 2:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
Well, na their luck shaar, in as much as we still have some public as well as private Universities that is of standard, why chosen UK?
I will stii consider South Africa and Canada before UK.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Lordave: 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
shadrach77:
You too know. mtcheeew
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by ujukala: 3:01pm On Aug 31, 2012
The ministry of education of britian should be contacted by Nigeria's education board to solve the problem urgently.
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by optimistD(m): 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
Lordave: You too know. mtcheeew
Don't mind him. He has Eng Lang. F9 in waec o!
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by miredia(m): 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
shadrach77:
oversabi
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by MrNigeria2(m): 3:13pm On Aug 31, 2012
I think they over over over exaggerated! !!
does it mean that it is only Nigerians that are attending the school ?? Haba! ! oga gan o
Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by Gabrielsylar(m): 3:13pm On Aug 31, 2012

read in between the lines NIGERIAN ARE THE MAJOR REASON FOR THIS, BECASUE WE NIGERIAN ANYWHERE WE GO WE ALWAYS CREATE FUNNY RECORDS,do funny thing etc imagine i heard there are over 3000000 nigerians in ukraine...we ave become jews...WHY WAS IT THAT THE ONLY PERSON INTERVIEWED BY BBC WAS A NAIJA BOY....NIGERIANS ARE THE WORLD BIGGEST IMMIGRATION PROBLEMS.....all dem girls will beef bois in naija "i cant marry u cos my BF is in uk...pohhhhh rubbishhh

1 Like

Re: 1500 Nigerian Students Face Deportation In UK by sammyjay441: 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
Eyaa unilag dey sha,ahmadu bello university dey 2,welcome home students.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FRSC Closes Magboro, Kara, Ibafo Axis On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Abuja Or Lagos Where Do You Prefer? To Work Or To Live? / Mudslide Kills Over 300 People In Sierra Leone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.