Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,488 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. (62246 Views)

Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? / Career Choice: All You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
Lord! You just describe me and i can not even deny i am not close to any of those descriptions. lol
Duke_Nija: I'm back. Sorry for the delay. My phone went off, you know how it is with blackberries and batteries.

Spicy, thanks for your contribution.

The Temperaments.

The Sanguine
The sanguine is arguably the most exciting, excited and interesting/interested temperament. This is a 'people person'. Always noticed, always on the spotlight. Sanguines are the most Friendly of all the temperaments. They are really really nice. The Sanguine is the MOST extroverted of all temperaments. They are the attention getters, usually the most popular in the group and the chit-chatters. They are talkatives and can sometimes be lousy with a great sense of humour.

Sanguines are also the most DISORGANISED and SCATTERED of all temperaments. Your Friend that uses his towel and keeps it in the kitchen is a sanguine. They are hardened LATECOMERS. A Sanguine will most probably go late for his own burial. Sanguines are RESTLESS. They cannot stay in one place. They have too many friends but no close or bosom friend because they are not dedicated and cannot keepup.
They are not dedicated to anything and mostly end up with abandoned projects and unrealised ideas despite a large pool of ideas.
Sanguines are great Exaggeraters, often adding maggi and pepper to make their story more appealing.

Sanguines are easily carried away by the crowd, forgeting themselves in the process, they need approval and follwership from people to be motivated and high. They are terrible at keeping secrets as they will leak or blow out without even realising it. They are chatterboxes who often speak stupidly without even listening to understand what is being said or asked. They are trully and sincerely nice and friendly but their lack of dedication often betrays their good hearts. They are often bad mouthed and can kill with their word alone.

If you have an uncle who always easily makes promises but never keeps any, don't blame him, he's a Sanguine. They are always excited. But when you see them angry sad or depressed, don't kill yourself, they will bounce back the next minute with Joy and Happiness singing to MayD's new track 'Ile-Ijo' for no good reason. You would be shell shocked.

They are never thorough, often skiming through an article instead of reading it to get the important details. And at the end, they narrate that article as though they wrote it with keen expertise and apt grace, often foolishly leaving out the key details to the awe and amasment of other temperaments that know better.

Oh, Sanguines love conversations. They can gist, and gist and laugh and talk and gist and shout, with their loud voice. Total complete noicemakers. They are good motivators and inspiration to people with more depressing and lonely traits. They hate reading and never do too well in class, often reading a week to the exam date. They are generally forgetful, your neigbour that constantly burns his rice , mostly late in the night is most likely a Sanguine.

Well I guess I've tried. [b]Next is the Choleric temperamen[/b]t..
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by AjanleKoko: 9:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
spicy v:

I would say you have a blend θf Choleric and Phlegmatic. Not sure θf the percentage though.

It's actually not a bad guess.
Though, based on all the definitions presented, I'd say I'm predominantly choleric. I never take the back seat, always in the forefront, and up for a challenge. And I am especially fond of supplying people with their opinion wink, and I get annoyed easily when others try to pour cold water on my thoughts or ideas.

Another side of me is a bit laid-back, and likes to chill, a whole lot. Though a lot of that has been tempered by experiences: life pursuits, marriage, fatherhood, etc. My favorite pastime is to simply chill, doing nothing, just chilling leisurely, whenever I can. Maybe that fits into the phlegmatic definition.
Though I wouldn't exactly agree 100%. Though I can be lazy, and I do procrastinate often. But generally I am far more a take-charge kind of person. And I'm definitely not an introvert.

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 10:41pm On Sep 01, 2012
Cholerics are not introverts. The whole temperament theory is actually founded on the premise θf a combination θf inherited genes from parents/grand parents and life experiences (childhood, environmental, circumstantial e.t.c). Phleg isn't a bad temperament, its cool not to take life too seriously. Chlor/Phleg is a pretty cool blend as the Phleg nature tends to tame the spiteful aspect θf the Choleric.

@ Duke: I say we create a topic on temperaments for the romance section! Those pips over there could do with info such as this to solve their endless sorrowful heart matters.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 8:18am On Sep 02, 2012
Ajanlekoko is Chlo/Phleg. This is a great combination.
Spicy Lol at solve their endless sorrowful heart matters. I thought about that but time.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 8:45am On Sep 02, 2012
The Phleg would make a good teacher since they are calm, easygoing and relaxed.
A Choleric would make a good principal or headmaster because of their strong disciplinary and administrative qualities.
A Sanguine would make a terrible principal, headmaster or even teacher because of their lack of dedication and commitment, as well as their disorganised and poor administrative tendencies.
A melancholy would also make a good teacher, nothing special.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 8:55am On Sep 02, 2012
A Choleric would make a great Engineer because of his Leadership skill and purposefulness to accomplish set goals and target.
He would delegate work effectively and get the best performance from his team.
The Melancholy would also make a good Engineer but would need to learn to work with people rather than by himself. He has perfection on his side and would get the job done and timely.
The phleg would frustrate the Choleric leader with his sluggish and Lazy attitude. Cholerics can't stand a Phleg.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 9:03am On Sep 02, 2012
A Sanguine should never become an Accountant or Financial mangaer. He would not only give a wrong financial report, he would constantly make mistakes, overlook tiny details or miscalculate. Remember basic accounting errors, errors of omission, comission, double entry e.t.c. These are more likey to be done by a Sanguine than anyother temperament.

A Choleric can become an accountant, but need to be a little more patient.
A melancholy will make a great Accountant, as well as the Phlegmatic.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 4:21pm On Sep 02, 2012
Spicy what's your relationship like. With friends,family and colleagues.. How has your temperament affected your love life? I would like to know. Let's start from here before we venture to the romance section.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2012
Your temperament affects how you perform on a job. Sometimes, its just not your fault that you can't meetup or cope with the job demands. Maybe that job isn't right for you, maybe you are not suited for that job. Some temperaments are best suited for some jobs, they excel effortlessly in a particular job, and dissapoint at others.

Knowing your temperament will be the first step in choosing the right career path.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by AjanleKoko: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2012
Duke_Nija: A Choleric would make a great Engineer because of his Leadership skill and purposefulness to accomplish set goals and target.
The phleg would frustrate the Choleric leader with his sluggish and Lazy attitude. Cholerics can't stand a Phleg.

So, in other words . . . I should be frustrating myself grin
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 11:01pm On Sep 02, 2012
Duke_Nija: Spicy what's your relationship like. With friends,family and colleagues.. How has your temperament affected your love life? I would like to know. Let's start from here before we venture to the romance section.

I am actually halfway through with my article on temperaments for the romance section. Please come on board. As to your question regarding my relationship with people, I have observed that I am very detached. I deliberately make relationships based on mutual benefits. Every relationship MUST be based on something meaningful. I don't keep friends for the sake θf friendship. Hence I don't really have close friends but a lot θf business friends. As for my love life, I would say God really does love me. I have spent the last six years θf my life with one man. We have a great relationship, the understanding is perfect. Funny enough, he is a combination θf San/Mel/Phleg! True talk!

He is very organised(Mel), easygoing(Phleg), life θf a party(San). The first few years was kinda tough! With me being very impatient with his laid back attitude and he frustrated with my aggressiveness! But the great thing is, understanding has made us a great pair, his patient attitude has brought the best in me, I have learnt to always keep my tongue in check and he is doing a great job θf relentlessly pursuing his dreams. His quiet stubborn nature gives me no choice but to submit lol.

We run a business together, I am the opportunist who always wants to rush in and make the most θf evry opportunity, with the usual saying, "if we don't take the risk, we never know what holds", he has got more caution to keep me in check, often spotting and analyzing the dangers ahead!

Summarily, I can say that I make a conscious effort to relate well with people, having known my weakness early enough, plus Tim Lahaye's Spirit Controlled Temperament was a great fix!

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 11:31pm On Sep 02, 2012
@ Duke: From experience, I have learnt that there is no full stop with temperaments. What I mean is, you can't say that I am restricted to pursuing a career path because θf my temperament. Before starting my current business with hubby, I worked for several organizations. While I used to go for interviews back then, I was always offered the job θf a sales executive and guess what, I always never applied for such position! Infact, all the places that I have worked as a full time staff(as I have worked as project staff) I always find myself in sales! I am either transferred to sales or made the spokes person for the company. What I do currently requires that I work closely with people, I can't let impatience or anger get in the way θf satisfying a client! (Haba! Do I wanna go outta bizness?) I have my ways with words, persuasion and negotiation. (But I am a chronic Choleric! If there's anything like that lol).

Truth is, knowing your temperament helps you know yourself and make the necessary self adjustment. My temperament does not limit me, there are no boundaries.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 7:00am On Sep 03, 2012
Ajanlekok lol at frustrating yourself. You have one dominant temperament and if its choleric, you'll be impatient with the sluggish Phleg. The Phleg in you(if passive) will not easily be known tO others.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by DukeNija(m): 7:36am On Sep 03, 2012
Great story you have there.
There's really to end point to temperaments. Its good to see that you are managing your choleric excesses in your marriage and learning to put the union first. That's the Key to a successful and happy marriage, compromise, understanding, Love and the will to make it work regardless of what or where you belong on the temperameter.
As for your Career romance with Sales, I think I has to do with a choleric being focused and a goal getter. These are traits that others can see and those are essential ingredients in Sales, promotion and marketing. So when they see these qualities in you, whether in the course of an interview, they'll tend to transfer you to that department.
I think your hubby is a Mel/Phleg who has an outgoing nature, maybe somewhere in his background, past environment or just outta the blue.

Good work with the article, I'll assist just go ahead. I think your experience will come in handy too.
Just let me know when you need me and I'll come in. smiley
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 11:06pm On Sep 03, 2012
Duke: I need you at the romance section ASAP! Lol. Pheeeew.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by blackbeau1(f): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Duke_Nija: Ajanlekoko it is impossible to have all temperament traits. You can only have one dominant or major and one passive or minor temperament. So all you need is sincerity, and you'll locate your temperament type.
its not just alenkoko.I'm experiencing the sane thing.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by boron10(m): 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
The phleg part got me rolling, cos twas like you were describing me
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Johnchike(m): 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
I'm melancholy and phlegmatic
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
How has your temperament affected your love life? I would really like to know
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by eemmyyy: 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
nice one @ ops. Many knew these but they don't have the time to communicate it to others. It will be gr8 If you can also get the test questionnaires for identifing one's temperament... Kudos Duke-Nija
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Johnchike(m): 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
Hmmm
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
well my career is still school, well one time, i called my prof an ex slave cause he said shiit bout afrika, he now knows better tho
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
Based on this article, I must be the MOST Sanguine, and MOST Phlegmatic person in the world.

I am supremely LAZY,and HYPER at the same time.

Its a wonder I even have a job. grin

2 Likes

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by obowunmi(m): 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
I closely align with Melancholic.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2012
jackbauersballs: Based on this article, I must be the MOST Sanguine, and MOST Phlegmatic person in the world.

I am supremely LAZY,and HYPER at the same time.

Its a wonder I even have a job. grin
2 minutes silence so u dont get fired
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Emylexray(m): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
One thing you all should know is that there is what we call "the spirit-controlled temperament" when you give your life to christ, i,e when you become a true christain, your weaknesses are strengthened,that's when it becomes difficult for your temperament to be deciphered because the "holyspirit" has strenghten your weaknesses.
Also, the four temperaments have affinities or attractions for each other. More often than not, the extroverted sanguine do admire the organised, intelligent, cool and practical melancholy. This is because the latter characteristics of the melancholy are not found in the sangunie, so he/she tends to admire and appreciate those inherent traits in the melancholy. Its this traits that transpires to LOVE. I mean genuine love
In thesame vein, the other two temperaments ( choleric and phlegmatic) are attracted to each other too. The introverted, gentle, reserved , meek and soft-spoken phlegmatic admires the extroverted, practical, domineering, violent and tough choleric ( compare the characters and see that they differ with that of the phlegmatic). It is these differences in characters or qualities that give rise to genuine love. Just like in electricity. Like charges repel while unlike charges attract each other. Its really interesting how this things happen.
If you study your partner closely, you will discover that he or she complements your character. Those qualities you lack in yourself are inherent in him or her! (please i'm not saying this is automatic) i'm a mel/phleg in the ratio 70/30
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Emylexray(m): 5:35pm On Sep 04, 2012
Duke_Nija: A Choleric would make a great Engineer because of his Leadership skill and purposefulness to accomplish set goals and target.
He would delegate work effectively and get the best performance from his team.
The Melancholy would also make a good Engineer but would need to learn to work with people rather than by himself. He has perfection on his side and would get the job done and timely.

sanguines are good sales-person too due to their friendly and extroverted nature. They can win people with their unbriddled tongue. I will say they thrive in anything that has to do with sales and people. Though their weaknesses are too obvious for people to see, i can decipher a person with a sanguine temperament with just two days of staying with that person. Its really amazing! One thing i know is that every temperament has strengths and weaknesses. That's what makes us unique
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by claremont(m): 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2012
I don't believe in all this stuff, and there is no proven correlation whatsoever between a person's temperament and his/her career choice. Most people are in careers far removed from their temperament. I would rather choose to believe in well-referenced research than copied and pasted portions off a so-called motivational book.

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Obere4u: 5:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
Who can help find mine?
I like frnds who are too lousy or quiet.... Am easily annoyed.... Likes helping people.... Hate been a leader but does well when giving the opportunity.... Love's ladies so much but dnt like been with them... Always forgives but never forgets... Always procrastinating... Believes that everything that happens has a purpose

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Female Barber Who Is A Nigerian Graduate Shows Off Her Impressive Skill (photos) / Chinelo Nwokoye: NAF Wings Female Combat Helicopter Pilot, 11 Others In Abuja / Sosu Patrick, Corn Seller In Suit, Tie & Hat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.