Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,943 members, 7,803,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. (62247 Views)

Career Choice DSS Or ARMY? Suggestions Please!! / We Talk About Career. What Influences Your Career Choice? / Career Choice: All You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by straighthome: 5:54pm On Sep 04, 2012
if i may add and trying to come in line with the topic, which i may dare say is psychometry, there are tests that some of us in hr do use which though close to the 'profiling' herewith enunciated almost do match....these fall into the driver, analyst, persuader and mixer. some deatiled testing and selection processes have pre determined temperaments which if you fall outside of, after testing, you may not be called back.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Adbash: 6:04pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Spicy lo: kudos for u. I think I have dominance of Melancholy(70%) with Phelgmatic(30%). Bt I'm definitely nt an introvert 'cos I do open up a little when I'm with a very close friends. Is that a bad combination?

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Emylexray(m): 6:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
claremont: I don't believe in all this stuff, and there is no proven correlation whatsoever between a person's temperament and his/her career choice. Most people are in careers far removed from their temperament. I would rather choose to believe in well-referenced research than copied and pasted portions off a so-called motivational book.
i understand your position as regards the topic of discus here. You see, harsh and unpleasant life conditions tend to affect our goal and will in life. They change our mentality and purpose. How will you tell a graduate that has been seeking for a job for seven years and finally gets a lucrative job-offer from a company to refute or refuse the job because it does not tally or correspond with the temperament type required to excel in such jobs which he does not possess? (you wan make im die be that) at that rough time, his will and primary goal have been eroded due to torid life situations. Bro, believe it, temperament works.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Hazeleyezz: 6:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
I ‎​am soo melancholy with a little dash of choleric. My friends say ‎​am a perfectionist, too organised and love my own space. I can be I a hus for one week without going out. I'm still working on d anger and moodswing aspectm
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
Adbash: @Spicy lo: kudos for u. I think I have dominance of Melancholy(70%) with Phelgmatic(30%). Bt I'm definitely nt an introvert 'cos I do open up a little when I'm with a very close friends. Is that a bad combination?

The above rather than prove you are not an introvert actually proves you are.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Zhul001(m): 7:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Duke_Nija: I'm back. Sorry for the delay. My phone went off, you know how it is with blackberries and batteries.

Spicy, thanks for your contribution.

The Temperaments.

The Sanguine
The sanguine is arguably the most exciting, excited and interesting/interested temperament. This is a 'people person'. Always noticed, always on the spotlight. Sanguines are the most Friendly of all the temperaments. They are really really nice. The Sanguine is the MOST extroverted of all temperaments. They are the attention getters, usually the most popular in the group and the chit-chatters. They are talkatives and can sometimes be lousy with a great sense of humour.

Sanguines are also the most DISORGANISED and SCATTERED of all temperaments. Your Friend that uses his towel and keeps it in the kitchen is a sanguine. They are hardened LATECOMERS. A Sanguine will most probably go late for his own burial. Sanguines are RESTLESS. They cannot stay in one place. They have too many friends but no close or bosom friend because they are not dedicated and cannot keepup.
They are not dedicated to anything and mostly end up with abandoned projects and unrealised ideas despite a large pool of ideas.
Sanguines are great Exaggeraters, often adding maggi and pepper to make their story more appealing.

Sanguines are easily carried away by the crowd, forgeting themselves in the process, they need approval and follwership from people to be motivated and high. They are terrible at keeping secrets as they will leak or blow out without even realising it. They are chatterboxes who often speak stupidly without even listening to understand what is being said or asked. They are trully and sincerely nice and friendly but their lack of dedication often betrays their good hearts. They are often bad mouthed and can kill with their word alone.

If you have an uncle who always easily makes promises but never keeps any, don't blame him, he's a Sanguine. They are always excited. But when you see them angry sad or depressed, don't kill yourself, they will bounce back the next minute with Joy and Happiness singing to MayD's new track 'Ile-Ijo' for no good reason. You would be shell shocked.

They are never thorough, often skiming through an article instead of reading it to get the important details. And at the end, they narrate that article as though they wrote it with keen expertise and apt grace, often foolishly leaving out the key details to the awe and amasment of other temperaments that know better.

Oh, Sanguines love conversations. They can gist, and gist and laugh and talk and gist and shout, with their loud voice. Total complete noicemakers. They are good motivators and inspiration to people with more depressing and lonely traits. They hate reading and never do too well in class, often reading a week to the exam date. They are generally forgetful, your neigbour that constantly burns his rice , mostly late in the night is most likely a Sanguine.

Well I guess I've tried. [b]Next is the Choleric temperamen[/b]t..
guy you just mentioned 95% of my character, and am realy amazed, but am working on those negative parts thoroughly, and Thank God am catching up.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Zhul001(m): 8:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
spicy v:

I would say you have a blend θf Choleric and Phlegmatic. Not sure θf the percentage though.
Ajanlekoko i can detect from your insincerity, about what temperament you are. You are choleric
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Zhul001(m): 8:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
Duke_Nija: The Phleg would make a good teacher since they are calm, easygoing and relaxed.
A Choleric would make a good principal or headmaster because of their strong disciplinary and administrative qualities.
A Sanguine would make a terrible principal, headmaster or even teacher because of their lack of dedication and commitment, as well as their disorganised and poor administrative tendencies.
A melancholy would also make a good teacher, nothing special.
Nah! Nah! Nah!! Not me Even My indian boss testified to my commitment and dedication, but mehn am dead disorganise. Duke i guess if i hapen to be a boss anywhere am going to hire clor,mel,and phleg to patch my weak points.what about that
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Zhul001(m): 8:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
Duke_Nija: A Sanguine should never become an Accountant or Financial mangaer. He would not only give a wrong financial report, he would constantly make mistakes, overlook tiny details or miscalculate. Remember basic accounting errors, errors of omission, comission, double entry e.t.c. These are more likey to be done by a Sanguine than anyother temperament.

A Choleric can become an accountant, but need to be a little more patient.
A melancholy will make a great Accountant, as well as the Phlegmatic.
Duke mind yourself ooooo:|...that is me
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by vislabraye(m): 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
I've heard loads of these temperament stuffs.
@poster. When you said "the heart of a man is desperately wicked" was refering to melancholy, I don't agree O. Every temperament is capable of being wicked.

I've been thinking what temperament makes the best lady's man? I think all of them.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Tingles(m): 8:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
I don't even know where I can place myself, the only temperament I lack is Choleric. I react to people based on their temperaments. And here you say I can't combine more than two? This article got me more confused.

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by vislabraye(m): 8:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
I've seen a lot of variance in career choice.
It was believed that the best scientists are predominantly melancholy but not really.
The best mathematician in my class was not melancholic.
However, nice analysis.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Adaeze003(f): 8:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obere4u: Who can help find mine?
I like frnds who are too lousy or quiet.... Am easily annoyed.... Likes helping people.... Hate been a leader but does well when giving the opportunity.... Love's ladies so much but dnt like been with them... Always forgives but never forgets... Always procrastinating... Believes that everything that happens has a purpose

I think you're like me... Mel/phleg..
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Chicolee(f): 9:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
I'm 60% melancholic, 20% phlegmatic, 10% choleric and 5% sanguine

1 Like

Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Obere4u: 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2012
Adaeze003:

I think you're like me... Mel/phleg..
Thank goodness there is someone like me in this world
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by vislabraye(m): 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
Chicolee: I'm 60% melancholic, 20% phlegmatic, 10% choleric and 5% sanguine

Na wa. See de analysis. What abt the remaining 5% ?
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Emylexray(m): 10:44pm On Sep 04, 2012
Tingles: I don't even know where I can place myself, the only temperament I lack is Choleric. I react to people based on their temperaments. And here you say I can't combine more than two? This article got me more confused.
be sincere with yourself. only then will you be able to know your true temperaments . A person will not be able to know his temperament if he or she is not truthful to his or her herself. Accept those weaknesses. A lot of people fail to discover theirs because they always view theirself with rose-coloured glasses. Go back and read those characters and be sincere with yourself.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Ecalos: 11:03pm On Sep 04, 2012
The thing with the temperaments is this: its not 90% full proof because life experiences constantly changes you and shapes you. In the end, what you thought you originally were drifts and becomes something else entirely...

I am a SanMel. Yes the odd personality type..What they actually call a "Mask" because it is believed that some side of you is "fake". But as much as I am a people person and as my friends call me 'a happy-go lucky individual", I am also OCD (Obsessive Compulsive. I am a neat freak and cleanliness freak and if you take out a book from my shelf, make sure you put it back the same way you met it or else its wahala...Each time I tell my friends I need to go clean my house they reply and say "your house is always clean".

I get very bored with routine so so easily which shows my sanguine personality but at the same time I love paying particular attention to detail. I am very meticulous. I open up and can talk about anything to anyone no matter who you are but only a few people know what truly goes on in my heart..Do you see the mix going on.

Also someone said a sanguine should never become an Accountant but guess what I am excelling in right now---Accounting. I have a diploma, bachelors and masters in accounting and working on my professional exam...Actually working with an accounting firm also. So nothing is really set in stone with regards the 4 basic temperaments.

Basically i think what shapes every individual is your life experiences, our faith and the environment we are raised
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by vivaciousvivi(f): 12:20am On Sep 05, 2012
@ OP: u have simply re-emphasized what I have always suspected for yrs. Lol. After reading ur definitions on each character trait, its clear to see that I'm still a Mel-Chor. Both traits describe me to d T, it was almost uncanny to read! Thank u.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Tingles(m): 12:35am On Sep 05, 2012
Emylexray:
be sincere with yourself. only then will you be able to know your true temperaments . A person will not be able to know his temperament if he or she is not truthful to his or her herself. Accept those weaknesses. A lot of people fail to discover theirs because they always view theirself with rose-coloured glasses. Go back and read those characters and be sincere with yourself.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 12:52am On Sep 05, 2012
Adbash: @Spicy lo: kudos for u. I think I have dominance of Melancholy(70%) with Phelgmatic(30%). Bt I'm definitely nt an introvert 'cos I do open up a little when I'm with a very close friends. Is that a bad combination?

Lol, you are definitely an introvert. You actually think you aren't one because you are loud when you are around close friends but if you were in a room with total strangers would you go all out to make friends or you'd rather observe?

Mel/Phel aint a bad combination. You'd be really reserved, cool and calm. You are a thoughtful person, very sensitive and detail oriented. Your friends will describe you as someone who takes things really personal and that is because θf your highly sensitive melancholy nature. You are highly suspicious, have trust issues, very laid back and very into your world. Also very stubborn, you will act like you are listening to what is been said when you are told what you don't like but will silently go back and do what's in your heart. You are a faithful, reliable and dependable friend with high morals and perfectionist tendencies. See! Not bad at all.

Just so you all know, there's a thread in romance section with title "temperament N love". Duke and I are looking at temperament and its role in relationships. Expecting your input guys, see y'all there.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Johnchike(m): 1:15am On Sep 05, 2012
spicy v:

Lol, you are definitely an introvert. You actually think you aren't one because you are loud when you are around close friends but if you were in a room with total strangers would you go all out to make friends or you'd rather observe?

Mel/Phel aint a bad combination. You'd be really reserved, cool and calm. You are a thoughtful person, very sensitive and detail oriented. Your friends will describe you as someone who takes things really personal and that is because θf your highly sensitive melancholy nature. You are highly suspicious, have trust issues, very laid back and very into your world. Also very stubborn, you will act like you are listening to what is been said when you are told what you don't like but will silently go back and do what's in your heart. You are a faithful, reliable and dependable friend with high morals and perfectionist tendencies. See! Not bad at all.

Just so you all know, there's a thread in romance section title "temperament N love". Duke and I are looking at temperament and its role in relationships. Expecting your inputs guys, see y'all there.
yeah, this is me.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by gabychuks(m): 1:26am On Sep 05, 2012
I am phel/mel, but sometime i wish i could change becoz i wish i could be the attention getter and all that but i end up only having them in thoughts.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by spicyv1(f): 4:03am On Sep 05, 2012
gabychuks: I am phel/mel, but sometime i wish i could change becoz i wish i could be the attention getter and all that but i end up only having them in thoughts.

I understand how you feel. Good thing is, you can be who you desire to be. Having known your temperament combination, you know what you lack and what should be done to be better. Try translating those thoughts to actions. When an opportunity to take the lead comes, instead θf wondering what people would say or think (that's your mel nature) just do the stuff. Your mel nature would cause you to analyze and spot all the negative reasons for you not to do what you desire to, but just go ahead and do before you get the chance to think it through and discourage yourself.

Another way you can help yourself is to be close to people with a more outgoing and daring temperament. I am a type A personality, I am very daring, my hubby is more laid back but our close association over the years has influenced our personalities, our weaknesses are boosted by each others strengths.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Emmaesty(f): 4:03am On Sep 05, 2012
ItsModella: When you described the sanguine and phlegmatic, I just saw myself in your words. Latecomer is my middle name. I go late to almost everything. You have to tell me when to stop the gist else I can go on forever. And I procrastinate till the 11th hour.
Same with me........ Always late for everything
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by teebadmus(m): 5:29am On Sep 05, 2012
My combo looks more of phleg/sang. I love ur write-up cos it rocked me gentle and hard.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by SBabaJ(m): 6:07am On Sep 05, 2012
....my system is heavily doused with "fire" and negligible "wind".
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Obere4u: 7:39am On Sep 05, 2012
gabychuks: I am phel/mel, but sometime i wish i could change becoz i wish i could be the attention getter and all that but i end up only having them in thoughts.
Same with Me
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by toideve(m): 9:10am On Sep 05, 2012
The melt in me is 90%. Choi!
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by ocelot2006(m): 11:55am On Sep 05, 2012
Well, I guess I'm 70% Choleric and 30% phlegmatic.
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Adaeze003(f): 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2012
Obere4u:
Thank goodness there is someone like me in this world

wink
Re: How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. by Adbash: 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2012
spicy v:

Just so you all know, there's a thread in romance section with title "temperament N love". Duke and I are looking at temperament and its role in relationships. Expecting your input guys, see y'all there.
Wow!!! You've said it all as if u've been watching me since d day I was born. Everything u wrote above is nothing but absolute truth and I will work on them as u said by getting closer to out going people just that I don't like starting a conversation with strangers. Thank u so much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Female Barber Who Is A Nigerian Graduate Shows Off Her Impressive Skill (photos) / Chinelo Nwokoye: NAF Wings Female Combat Helicopter Pilot, 11 Others In Abuja / Sosu Patrick, Corn Seller In Suit, Tie & Hat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.