Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Share Your Experiences of Racism - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Share Your Experiences of Racism (23205 Views)

Racism/Colorism Prejudice Against Lightskin & Mixed "Black" People / Congolese Woman Sets Herself On Fire In Protest Against Racism (Pics) / The Experiences Of Rape Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
Have you ever been victim of racism....share your history/how it happpened and how you reacted undecided cry
Personally i haven't yet faced this issue though some "white/pink" often change the side of the road in the night when i'm walking. some of them stand up or leave their seat when i enter in the Bus or the metro....i don't want to be paronaic and i have to admit that i started to like it so i put my bag on one seat and i use the other ..maybe it's not racism but so far it's only what i faced... i noticed also that Ba bus driver tend to be mean with africans esp when you don't have the change ...the last biotch took my 5$ ...because i didn't have 15cents lmao angry angry...anyway i will be glad to read you and know how you reacted.....

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
hum

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 31, 2012
euh r u telling me that you don't any stories to share..come on
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 3:50pm On Sep 01, 2012
How are these pics showing racism?
The first one, I would need a stiry on..for all I know, he might be a young boy who is lost, and they dont know where his parents are.
The second; I am guessing the dude smelled like shit..

My husband has gotten some racism, yes. Or discrimination, it depends how you see it.
- People have asked him if he sells drugs when he is walking alone with the pram, and the baby in it. Just because he is black.
- People tells me to be careful maybe he only want me for papers in EU. Just because he is black.
- People have denied him access to pubs, saying they dont want his kind there. Again, black.
- People have asked if I am being forced to wear a hijab now that we are married. - Muslim.
- People have moved away when he sits down on the bus, I would dare to think because he is black.

I have had racism against me for being white to, from black men and women.
But, thats probably not what you were after.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2012
JallowBah: How are these pics showing racism?
The first one, I would need a stiry on..for all I know, he might be a young boy who is lost, and they dont know where his parents are.
The second; I am guessing the dude smelled like shit..

My husband has gotten some racism, yes. Or discrimination, it depends how you see it.
- People have asked him if he sells drugs when he is walking alone with the pram, and the baby in it. Just because he is black.
- People tells me to be careful maybe he only want me for papers in EU. Just because he is black.
- People have denied him access to pubs, saying they dont want his kind there. Again, black.
- People have asked if I am being forced to wear a hijab now that we are married. - Muslim.
- People have moved away when he sits down on the bus, I would dare to think because he is black.

this is only for Africans...we are the only victims...thanks for sharing how our husband suffers angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 01, 2012
I have never been to a country with white people as the majority so I haven't experienced real life racism before. Only online racism.
Online racism mostly involves being referred to as a nigger and having people ascribe certain stereotypes that are associated with black people to you, eg blacks are uneducated, jobless, lazy etc.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
I don't know why but is kinda weird and annoying the way white people look at me, they just look straight at my hair then my nose, eyes and lips! Does it happen to you guys??

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 11:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: this is only for Africans...we are the only victims...thanks for sharing how our husband suffers angry angry angry

lol

Damn! Royal where are you?! grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
linda_1: I don't know why but is kinda weird and annoying the way white people look at me, doesn't matter if it's a male or female, they just look straight at my hair line then my nose, eyes and lips! Does it happen to you guys??

I can only imagine how it was for the first Africans brought to the new world in chains.

Stories of them inspecting their privates, touching their hair, measuring their noses, and licking the sweat off of their bodies no longer surprise me.

It's the same sh*t 500 years later. undecided

yeah it happens but they tend to stare at my a*s.
It doesn't matter if I am at a local drug store or supermarket checkout waiting in line, walking or bending to pick up something...they always look. I usually laugh but it gets to be annoying. I would suddenly look in their direction and WITHOUT FAIL, they are looking.

They stare at my hair whenever I am wearing braids though as if trying to find out how it was done.

As far as racism, I have never had the exprience of being called a slur in person however elderly and middle aged whites and asians do act a way to me from time to time.

Lol. It doesn't matter though because I treat them the EXACT same way they treat me. When I was in middle school I used to intern at different establishments during the summer, and on weekends throughout the school year I used to volunteer at a local farm that sells ice cream. Whites and Asian would put the money down on the counter instead of putting it in my hand...

you know what I would do? Place their change AND the receipt BACK on the same counter and instead of saying "have a good day"...I'd dismiss them with a "I can take the next person". LMAO. Their expressions were always priceless!

I still don't play that. I don't accept disrespect from anyone.

grin grin

28 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:35am On Sep 02, 2012
BelaMorena:

I can only imagine how it was for the first Africans brought to the new world in chains.

Stories of them inspecting their privates, touching their hair, measuring their noses, and licking the sweat off of their bodies no longer surprise me.

It's the same sh*t 500 years later. undecided

yeah it happens but they tend to stare at my a*s.
It doesn't matter if I am at a local drug store or supermarket checkout waiting in line, walking or bending to pick up something...they always look. I usually laugh but it gets to be annoying. I would suddenly look in their direction and WITHOUT FAIL, they are looking.

They stare at my hair whenever I am wearing braids though as if trying to find out how it was done.

As far as racism, I have never had the exprience of being called a slur in person however elderly and middle aged whites and asians do act a way to me from time to time.

Lol. It doesn't matter though because I treat them the EXACT same way they treat me. When I was in middle school I used to intern at different establishments during the summer, and on weekends throughout the school year I used to volunteer at a local farm that sells ice cream. Whites and Asian would put the money down on the counter instead of putting it in my hand...

you know what I would do? Place their change AND the receipt BACK on the same counter and instead of saying "have a good day"...I'd dismiss them with a "I can take the next person". LMAO. Their expressions were always priceless!

I still don't play that. I don't accept disrespect from anyone.

grin grin

Thanks for sharing smiley
yeah is very annoying when they stared at you but I had never experience racism or being called "names"..Sometimes when they look at me I just smile and they smile back lol
That's kinda messed up they use the counter instead of putting in your hands..."alot black people make other black people look bad" alot of them steal, kill, gangster stuff, lazy..! When they look a black person they think we all the same, but is not true! alot of us are honest and hard-worker! grin

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:42am On Sep 02, 2012
JallowBah: How are these pics showing racism?

yeahh i can understand that kind of rascism. like maybe being a offered a seat in a bus while the African gets up or maybe, offered excess food from another persons lunch while he/she starves but stares happily at your food-filled face. yes i understand. .
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 4:44am On Sep 02, 2012
You are really sinking to that level?Using my husband pic to try something?
So..all jamaicans sell drugs? All people with rasta sell drugs? Nah, we dont even smoke anything, so..meh.

As for your last post, not even going to respond to that.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:53am On Sep 02, 2012
JallowBah: You are really sinking to that level?Using my husband pic to try something?
So..all jamaicans sell drugs? All people with rasta sell drugs? Nah, we dont even smoke anything, so..meh.

well most do. i am confused whether they sell it or use it themselves. i think both. undecided
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 5:00am On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

well most do. i am confused whether they sell it or use it themselves. i think both. undecided

Most of the people with rasta that I know are vegans who dont smoke anything. So, your experience there is different from mine.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 02, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Right. Just like most Nigerians participate in scamming and thievery of some sort.
I too am confused as to whether they use the stolen money to feed their families or to spend it on themselves. Perhaps both. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 02, 2012
JallowBah: You are really sinking to that level?Using my husband pic to try something?

He isn't the sharpest f00l tool in the shed.
Don't pay him any mind.

He, like the OP, doesn't even respect his own kind much less others but want to cry about racism. grin

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 02, 2012
JallowBah:

Most of the people with rasta that I know are vegans who dont smoke anything. So, your experience there is different from mine.

Right.

In fact many rastas themselves do not smoke weed.
They do not see the point in it.

People don't even know the history of marijuana and pass judgement.
It was introduced to my island by East Indian migrants and indentured workers in the 1800s.
There are Hindus who smoke 3x the amount of weed than the entire rasta population on my island.

East Indian man of the Hindu faith smoking weed in India

Like in Jamaica, it is used there as a way to meditate and to be one with the Gods. grin lipsrsealed
These guys literally sit on the streets of India in front of holy shrines and smoke pound after pound a DAY!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 11:44am On Sep 02, 2012
Yes, the Rastafarians. Not the rastas. wink You got it.

And last time I checked, my hubby was a muslim. Doubt he will change that one.
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 11:45am On Sep 02, 2012
BelaMorena:

He isn't the sharpest f00l tool in the shed.
Don't pay him any mind.

He, like the OP, doesn't even respect his own kind much less others but want to cry about racism. grin

Oh, I know. JUst look at how he write about white people. Its alright, I have met worse.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 3:11am On Sep 03, 2012
yoooo i missed a lot of actions yeah..please no bashing grin grin share only what happened to you .thanks
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 03, 2012
JallowBah:

Oh, I know. JUst look at how he write about white people. Its alright, I have met worse.

dont pay them any mind.

foolery and fuckery knows no color. wink

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 03, 2012
it's my thread go create a thread where white will complain about racism ..this is for Africans esp those abroad ...i don't see how i am racist

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Eiregirl(f): 4:31pm On Sep 03, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: this is only for Africans...we are the only victims...thanks for sharing how our husband suffers angry angry angry

Are you saying that Africans are the only victims of racism? shocked grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by JallowBah(f): 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: it's my thread go create a thread where white will complain about racism ..this is for Africans esp those abroad ...i don't see how i am racist

They maybe you should change the main topic, then.

You really think only africans have experience with racism?

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:38pm On Sep 03, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: it's my thread go create a thread where white will complain about racism ..this is for Africans esp those abroad ...i don't see how i am racist

i agree. I am African and i live abroad. only 3rd worlders face rascism. not whites, unless its of the kind i described. (a.k.a. preferential rascism)
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Eiregirl(f): 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

i agree. I am African and i live abroad. only 3rd worlders face rascism. not whites, unless its of the kind i described.

Pure & utter ignorance!!!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2012
Eiregirl:

Pure & utter ignorance!!!

go away white woman. shoo!!! angry
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Eiregirl(f): 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

go away white woman. shoo!!! angry

grin grin grin Why? grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2012
Eiregirl:

Are you saying that Africans are the only victims of racism? shocked grin
yes angry angry ..Africans or so called 1/3 world are the only victims...
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Eiregirl(f): 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: yes angry angry ..Africans or so called 1/3 world are the only victims...

Ok Sir! wink
Re: Share Your Experiences of Racism by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
JallowBah:

They maybe you should change the main topic, then.

You really think only africans have experience with racism?
i don't have to change the title cuz i don't consider you as victims. when i'm talking about racism .i already know the victims and the prosecutor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Odu Ogunda Ogbe- Ogundabede! The Chief Of Crooks! / History And The List Of The Past 14 Aare Ona Kakanfo Before Gani Adams / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.