Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Second-Hand Clothes! - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Second-Hand Clothes! (27897 Views)

Poll: Be honest. Do you sometimes buy second-hand clothes?

Yes!: 75% (125 votes)
No!: 24% (41 votes)
This poll has ended

Ebola: The Use Of Second Hand Clothes Can Be Dangerous. / Should Ladies Buy Second-Hand Bras ? / Why Are Second-hand Clothes Called Okrika In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Raimond(m): 12:21pm On Jan 10, 2008
I have heard of boutique owners who buy,clean up, and sell them.But come to think of it, even in the US and UK,people patronise those, I`m not an advocate for okrika though.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jan 10, 2008
lagos-  you can find some of the same clothes sold in boutiques at n3500 for n800 at emab shopping plaza at cms.

its just that as you get older, and more busy, you just don't have the time , energy and agidi to go down to  places like emab. whenever i go there, i switch to gra gra mode, you need that for the traders who will practically drag you into their shops, and the pricks who do a fast switch on you.(someone once switched a pair of damani jeans for johnny blaze - if i hadn't looked in the bag one last time, that would have been it.)

big-ben:

Naija with second hand mentality,second hand wears,second hand cars,, second hand babe/guy na wah oh!!!

have you read the millionaire next door? great book. it states that america has the largest no of self made millionaires. and a lot of them buy second hand cars! it makes far more financial sense to buy a second hand car than a brand new one. the moment you buy a brand new car, its value falls by up to 25%?
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 10, 2008
opokonwa:

I, myself, used to wear a lot of second-hand clothes when I had no job to afford the new ones.

Now that I can afford the new ones, most of my clothes are tailored to my physique by affordable designers.

It depends on which part of the economic block you belong to. undecided

As for me, second-hand clothes have been a lot of help.
thank you ma brother too.

The truth is that most of us can't deny the fact that we've ever worn a second-hand stuff!! and this has been due to our economic situation in Naija. But thank God for the gradual improvement!! wink  Moreso, You don't expect someone hungry and without job to often patronise boutiques. . .where tops/shirts are sold for N1,500, N2,000,  shocked  shocked shoes N3,500, N5, 000 even the converted 2nd class ones grin etc. I beg Priority matters. But, I believe that once these people are well-fed and with good jobs. . . . levels go change too. Not everyone that patronise second-hand is happy about it. na situation.  undecided
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Flodel(f): 12:42pm On Jan 10, 2008
there's nothing bad putting on second hand cloth, u find out that it is more reliable than the so called new ones u get from the boutique. wearing second hand clothes does not mean one is poor, i agree with aisha check garki, mpape market on friday n u'll be amazed at the category of people fighting over second hand cloth.
tell me is there anything you don't get the second hand even human beings.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 12:48pm On Jan 10, 2008
Flodel:

. wearing second hand clothes does not mean one is poor, .
i was just about to say this,. . . some are rich but 'em still love them second-hand clothes, it's not only for the poor, some rich peeps are simply habitual customers!

Flodel:

is there anything you don't get the second hand even human beings.
lol grin grin grin dnt kill me wt lafta grin
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by dikizie(m): 12:59pm On Jan 10, 2008
Even in the United States people buy second hand clothes. They go to Thrift stores to buy these clothes. Besides those clothes you buy at boutiques in Nigeria 40% are second hand clothes. Most of them bought from Thrift stores in either America, London etc. they are then sent to Nigeria. A measure of different deodorants and air fresheners are used to make them smell nice.

1 Like

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 1:15pm On Jan 10, 2008
dikizie:

Even in the United States people buy second hand clothes. They go to Thrift stores to buy these clothes. Besides those clothes you buy at boutiques in Nigeria 40% are second hand clothes. Most of them bought from Thrift stores in either America, London etc. they are then sent to Nigeria. A measure of different deodorants and air fresheners are used to make them smell nice.
40%??
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by barbiedoll(f): 1:50pm On Jan 10, 2008
@ aisha2
@ flodel

My dear sisiters could you give me a more detailed description of where this Garki Market is, I really need to check it out. I go to Yaba which is the only place I know, often times I buy things I don't like afterall and thier prices are rather high their in yaba.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 10, 2008
Garki Market is in Abuja, seems you live in Lagos. Anyway its a popular place if you live in Abuja, Any Taxi Driver can take you there.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 10, 2008
lol!

I once bought a t-shirt for about 2000 only to realize later that it was second hand turn to new. grin
It was well packaged.

What about second hand shoes?

Second hand is better in some sense.

As most new ones don't last long compared to the second hand.

1 Like

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by zheroes(m): 2:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
are we aware that most second handed clothes have the highest quality? while you can get good qualities as new, most times they are very expensive and considering our society and how its seen nobody wants to agree they use or prefer second hand, imagine buying a T.M lewin shirt in port harcourt for btw 9k and 13k, its ridiculous, i was so shocked when i learnt dudes in lagos are getting it for btw 5k5-8k. if the cash is there no probs, otherwise i will go for quality, second hand or tenth hand
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by barbiedoll(f): 3:03pm On Jan 10, 2008
too bad, I stay in Lagos. thanx all thesame.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by janami(f): 3:12pm On Jan 10, 2008
It is true. wearing second hand does not mean that u are poor. Once i bought a top for 3k5 from one rubbish boutique well structured and later saw some omo alatas wearing it as aso ebi. It was not funny. My friends just consoled me by saying probably the quality is different, but i no gree o  cheesy at least second hand clothes gives u the guarantee for not being too common
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 3:36pm On Jan 10, 2008
janami. . . that's one thing abt second-hand, they are one in town grin

1 Like

Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Greycells(m): 3:49pm On Jan 10, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by ifyalways(f): 4:44pm On Jan 10, 2008
yes,yes,yes i buy second hand clothes.they are really cool and even last long especially if you go for the first grades.am not just into second hand clothes,bags and shoes as well. cool

@efuah,give me some folks sis,kantamanto straight. wink
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 5:05pm On Jan 10, 2008
Hey Ify shocked . . . now am suspecting u o! you've been saying a lot abt Ghana. Now tell me. are u a ghanaian or u're a nigerian staying in ghana? gimmie ya addy let me pick u up this saturday to Kantamanto wink
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 10, 2008
janami:

It is true. wearing second hand does not mean that u are poor. When i buy a top for 3k5 from one rubbish boutique well structured and later saw some omo alatas wearing it as aso ebi. It was not funny. My friends just consolde me by saying probably the quality is different, but i no gree o cheesy at least second hand clothes gives u the guarantee for not being too common

Now that was really funny.Omo alatas wearng it as aso-ebi.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by awonboiz: 5:38pm On Jan 10, 2008
@aysometin

Glad you are back, how was ur vacation, grin

wetn u bring com for me cheesy

wats ur id make i relate wit u wink

Holla!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by niceuzor: 6:19pm On Jan 10, 2008
OkiriKA Polo is the best, whether you like it or not. cheesy
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jan 10, 2008
OkiriKA Polo is the best, whether you like it or not

ah lol.

Long time, how are you
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by osisi5: 8:26pm On Jan 10, 2008
when I was in Naija,back in my college days,yes I bought Okrika.
My folks deal in okrika
I even sold okrika to friends to make extra cash

Okrika is big business.
My father inlaw,sisters in law,even my own grandfather sold okrika and sent his children to school.
My brothers sold okrika while at the university
Okrika runs in my family ROFL

I've even looked at investing in Okrika business in Spartanburg South Carolina,the headquarters from which they head on to Naija
The only reason I didn't was fear of losing my money to rogues at the Naija end.

I know peope who have built mansions and amassed wealth from Okrika.
My own uncle quit his profession to manage okrika.
Thank God people are patronising it.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by osisi5: 8:31pm On Jan 10, 2008
but,will I wear okrika today?
only if it was given to me straight from the wardrobes of Tyra Banks,Oprah or Halle Berry.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Caradona(f): 9:59pm On Jan 10, 2008
I don't have anything against second-hand clothes but I will never knowingly buy one. My Ex used to buy second clothes and even second-hand underwear. But when he started scratching his balls and screaming out loud. I knew he caught some terrible ailments from those cheap clothes he buys ( serves him right for being so cheap)
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by cutechyoma(f): 10:21pm On Jan 10, 2008
Hey peeps
Me i love being myself. I patronise 'OK' stuff big time cos most times i get d best baffs from there. Check out the bags, superb and even boutique owners marvel at d quality whenevr i go 'spying' in their shops. I have bought lovely designer shirts ranging from Nara Camice, Thomas Pink, Ralph Lauren et all and check me out after a visit to the drycleaners with d 'baffs'.
At the moment, Yaba has been closed indefinitely by the Lagos State Govt after it was razed in December. Honestly, im very sad. Ther are grades and most boutiques owners buy 'Grade 1" OK' stuff and u will not believe it when u see it nicely displayed and tagged. Moreso, 'OK' jeans are the best fitting ones. The Yaba boys call the 'stock jeans'. Anyway, i can go on and on but i rest my case here. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by osisi5: 12:08am On Jan 11, 2008
Caradona:

I don't have anything against second-hand clothes but I will never knowingly buy one. My Ex used to buy second clothes and even second-hand underwear. But when he started scratching his balls and screaming out loud. I knew he caught some terrible ailments from those cheap clothes he buys ( serves him right for being so cheap)

Ballistic craw craw is that diagnosis and shelltox is the cure
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by FemiATL: 12:19am On Jan 11, 2008
@+osisi
I've even looked at investing in Okrika business in Spartanburg South Carolina,the headquarters from which they head on to Naija
The only reason I didn't was fear of losing my money to rogues at the Naija end.

Hmm did not know that! Spartanburg SC is just down my alley. I guess I’ll check it out. Any advice-------please give me a street at least. I have someone in Naija that can handle stuff like that.

Used cloths are fine, as long as it is well washed etc, cos you do not want to know the diseases some Oyinbo have--------I think I went to Yaba a few times in those days to pick out a few baffs------but men the people wearing used underwear are hard oh-------I mean--------I can comprehend used brazier for women and tees for men-----but underwear-----ha! Okay oh!
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 2:01am On Jan 11, 2008
No. Not for me.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by tipsy289(m): 6:38am On Jan 11, 2008
I'm not sure if second hand clothes will be good to buy.I'll just buy new cos i cant even imagine selling my own clothes too
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by efuah(f): 8:37am On Jan 11, 2008
Siena:

No. Not for me.
te hee heeee. . . tongue
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 11, 2008
awon boiz:

@aysometin

Glad you are back, how was your vacation, grin

wetn u bring com for me cheesy

wats your id make i relate wit u wink

Holla!

Awon Boiz,
Thank you o. am back and my vacation was cool, it wasnt as cold as i expected so i had fun.
What can i bring for a big yankee boy like you, u don pass that level o grin grin grin
Wont post my Id here.
But u will get it somehow sha!!!!!!!
Hope you had fun as well during the holidays.
Re: Second-Hand Clothes! by Kaestro(m): 12:31pm On Jan 11, 2008
Okrika is the highest.I remember selling my own used clothes in Yaba back in the days,it was unbelievable but I got as much as 2k5 for some shirts.Think how much the ibo boy would sell it for.
Can't wait to get a Ferragamo suit, of course second hand!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naomi Campbell's Visible Bald Patch Hair Disaster! / Reasons Why You Should Dress Well / Who Wore It Better; The Lady Or The Basket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.