Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,864 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident (9531 Views)

Security Officers Pose With The Dead Lion Killed In Jos (Pictured) / 16 Family Members Die In Kano Road Accident / UPDATED: Church, Classrooms Set On Fire In Potiskum, Yobe State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Arrowman(m): 10:20pm On Aug 31, 2012
ABUJA — Two speeding buses on Friday collided head-on and burst into flames killing at least 29 people and injuring 16 others in northern Nigeria's Yobe state, police and an official said.

The crash was the latest tragedy to befall travellers on Nigeria's perilous roads, plagued with accidents due to a combination of reckless driving, overloading and poor maintenance.

"Two Toyota Hiace Buses... travelling in opposite directions had a head-on collision and thereafter went off in flames. Twenty nine persons -- eleven of them burnt beyond recognition -- have so far been confirmed dead," national police spokesman Frank Mba said in a statement.

The accident occurred in the state's Nengere area, the statement added. The injured were taken to a hospital in the nearby city of Potiskum.

The head of the road safety commission in Yobe, Usman Masari, told AFP both drivers had been speeding.

He described both buses as 18-seaters, but drivers routinely cram extra passengers into vehicles to maximise their income per journey.

A similar crash killed 33 people near Potiskum in 2010, when two commuter buses collided and caught fire.

The police statement lamented the "incessant" accidents on Nigeria's highways, considered among the most dangerous in the world.

Police urged Nigerians to avoid "speeding, over loading and flagrant disobedience of road traffic laws and regulations".

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gyRqhM3tlFbE1FEMvAOsonOZhZRA?docId=CNG.b86ceb10fe79b0a989936925ba7b5be2.691

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by miredia(m): 9:25am On Sep 01, 2012
May their souls rest in peace. Those roads are death traps.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by DonaldGenes(m): 9:34am On Sep 01, 2012
Omoqe! Were they using high Km speed or what?That was soooooooooooooooo qraphic! May their souls R.I.P
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 01, 2012
simple mathematics for GPAN

GOVT + INCOMPETENCE = Bad roads

DRUNK DRIVERS + INEFFECTIVE TRAFFIC LAWS + BAD ROADS = -( NO of PASSENGERS sitting + standing + lapped) (unit: lives)
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 01, 2012
DONT BLAME THE ROADS ONLY. EXTEND UR BLAME TO THE DRIVERS, FRSC, VIO AND MOST ESPECIALLY THE PASSENGERS(RIP) FOR SEEING SUCH USELESS AND FAST DRIVING AND STILL SIT THERE AND SAY NOTHING. THEY COULD HAVE EASILY GRABBED THE MONKEY AND BEATEN THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF HIM.

2 Likes

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by mountainbaba: 9:40am On Sep 01, 2012
miredia: May their souls rest in peace. Those roads are death traps.

Wasn't caused by bad road but due to overspeedin nd recklessness especiali as it was reportd to be face to face colision
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by jamp: 9:42am On Sep 01, 2012
People should stop blaming government for any accident. Was it the govt dt ask them to fly(speed). They were able to speed cos the road is good. Speed kills dts it.

May God protect us all this period Amen

1 Like

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by slightlyMad(f): 9:43am On Sep 01, 2012
kai, 1 stupid driver sent 29 people packing, thats so sad and makes me angry but thats definitely not the actual scene picture, Naija journalism

anyway, RIP to the dead
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by ebamma(m): 9:44am On Sep 01, 2012
Things that kill nigerians(in percentage)
motor accidents:20percent

air crash : 10percent

witchcraft :5percent

cult clash : 3percent

nigerian girls : 30percent

bokoharam :40percent

police : 50percent

killer number : 5percent

killer amala :10percent

killer fruits :15percent

waec :25 percent

PDP :80percent

6 Likes

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by AdoreKIZITO(f): 9:47am On Sep 01, 2012
May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace.
Kano Kano Kano!!!!!, how many times did i call you... You have become the center of sorrow.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by LordBabs(m): 9:48am On Sep 01, 2012
Ilè n j'èyàn. . .
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by DICKtator: 9:50am On Sep 01, 2012
R.I.P. to the departed souls
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 01, 2012
OMG!!! Bad roads, no road signs, drivers on narcotics = dead passengers. sad RIP to them

1 Like

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by masterpiecer(m): 9:52am On Sep 01, 2012
ebamma: Things that kill nigerians(in percentage)

the summation of ur percentage is suppose to be a 100o/o, abi na 1000o/o u wan achieve?cheesy

1 Like

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Daunashamed(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2012
I wont be surprised if the two buses are those of 'PEACE' mass transit,their drivers drive so recklessly it will be so easy to make many rest in 'peace',you need to see for yourself..RIP to the dead and quick recovary to the injured.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Ndata(m): 9:54am On Sep 01, 2012
Road has nothing to do with this.When i served in North i witnessed this first hand.They speed as if the can't die and are very careless while overtaking.Maybe it's because their roads are smooth or the mentality that if they die from accident its Allah's wish.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by linkin8k(m): 9:54am On Sep 01, 2012
That's why i always use ABC. No matter how slow it is
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Daunashamed(m): 10:00am On Sep 01, 2012
slightlyMad: but thats definitely not the actual scene picture, Naija journalism
e tire me oh!
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by maasoap(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2012
al-qaeda:
DONT BLAME THE ROADS ONLY. EXTEND UR BLAME TO THE DRIVERS, FRSC, VIO AND MOST ESPECIALLY THE PASSENGERS(RIP) FOR SEEING SUCH USELESS AND FAST DRIVING AND STILL SIT THERE AND SAY NOTHING. THEY COULD HAVE EASILY GRABBED THE MONKEY AND BEATEN THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF HIM.
I understand you but those drivers dont listen to passengers warning and crying at all. I have witnessed it. They do not listen at all, most especially, NURTW. High speed still remain number one cause of road accidents in Nigeria but I am really amazed when people mention bad roads as number one cause.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by werepeLeri: 10:11am On Sep 01, 2012
Da-unashamed:
I wont be surprised if the two buses are those of 'PEACE' mass transit,their drivers drive so recklessly it will be so easy to make many rest in 'peace',you need to see for yourself..RIP to the dead and quick recovary to the injured.

Peace Mass Transit dont go to that part of Nigeria. Whats wrong with you?

Kano - Wudi - Dutse - Ja'maare - Azare - Potiskum - Maiduguri road is one of the roads being dualised by the government - it is a fairly good road, straight and prone to accidents due to over speeding on the part of drivers. If it is a bad road, why will they over speed?
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by toyeoye(m): 10:14am On Sep 01, 2012
BEWARE THE 'EMBER' MONTHS are at hand
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 01, 2012
maasoap: I understand you but those drivers dont listen to passengers warning and crying at all. I have witnessed it. They do not listen at all, most especially, NURTW. High speed still remain number one cause of road accidents in Nigeria but I am really amazed when people mention bad roads as number one cause.
AGREED THEY DONT LISTEN OR UNDERSTAND. THATS WHY THE PASSENGERS SHOULD TAKE THEIR DESTINY INTO THEIR OWN HANDS AND GIVE HIM A HECK OF A BEATING AND CONTINUE. WHY SHOULD I LEAVE MY DESTINY IN THE HANDS OF SOME1 WHO IS ULTRA HIGH ON SOME DRUG.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Carmall(m): 10:22am On Sep 01, 2012
Road accident is now competing with boko haram...cos thanks to God and jtf boko haram has not been able to kill up to that in recent time.
Government should stand up to their responsibilities, make sure the roads are good, make some laws to checkmate reckless driving...the first responsibility of a government is to safaguard the life of it citizen.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by werepeLeri: 10:25am On Sep 01, 2012
Carmall: Road accident is now competing with boko haram...cos thanks to God and jtf boko haram has not been able to kill up to that in recent time.
Government should stand up to their responsibilities, make sure the roads are good, make some laws to checkmate reckless driving...the first responsibility of a government is to safaguard the life of it citizen.

Are there no such laws already? Or you mean Government should start driving for reckless drivers? Until government drum suck laws to people before people will use their senses and know the repercussions of reckless driving?

2 Likes

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 10:31am On Sep 01, 2012
Carmall: Road accident is now competing with boko haram...cos thanks to God and jtf boko haram has not been able to kill up to that in recent time.
FIRST RESPONSIBILITY OF 9JA GOVT IS TO STEAL, DESTROY THE INFRASTRUCTURE, AND THEN FINALLY THINK OF ITS PEOPLE.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by skyflash(m): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2012
Accidents, boko haram, armed robbers, pen robbers.Kidnappers, i mean whats lifes worth in this country

1 Like

Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 01, 2012
skyflash: Accidents, boko haram, armed robbers, pen robbers.Kidnappers, i mean whats lifes worth in this country
HUMANS AND CHICKENS ARE ON THE SAME LEVEL HEAR. AND WHAT HURTS THE MOST IS THAT THESE SAME PEOPLE SCREWING THE COUNTRY UP DURING THE WEEK, GO TO CHURCHES AND MOSQUES ON WEEKENDS TO PRAY AND SHOW PEOPLE THEY ARE FEARFUL OF GOD. PLS TELL ME, WHO ARE THEY PRAYING TO.
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by maigaskiya1: 10:40am On Sep 01, 2012
ebamma: Things that kill nigerians(in percentage)

thank god no kiler garri or akpu
Re: 29 Killed In Potiskum-Kano Road Accident by greall1: 11:08am On Sep 01, 2012
Do u take ur dose this morning atall

nosa gold: Omg! What a bad news, may their souls rest in peace

Eehmmmm!! As d chairman of GARRI PRICE ORGANIZATION of N/L.......I warn every member of G.P.O not to ask "will dz reduce d price of garri" question on this thread, this is very serious and its bout ONWU NDI MMADU.....Obrigado

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Do I Get To Awolowo Road Ikoyi From Ojuelegba? / What's Your New Year Resolution? / Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.