Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins (2425 Views)

When You Finally Catch The MTN Staff Sending You Bulk Messages (photos) / Samsung Pays Apple $1billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins / Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cent Coins ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by pato405(m): 11:41am On Sep 02, 2012
This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives as they will need to put in long hours counting all that money, to check if it is all there and to try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept all the coins.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law. grin grin grin grin grin grin

A total of 20 billion coins, delivery hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this.

source: http://en.paperblog.com/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cents-coins-294795/
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by basisop(m): 11:53am On Sep 02, 2012
grin grin This should go comedy section grin where can they find such quantity of coins?
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Ymodulus: 12:00pm On Sep 02, 2012
am just dumbfolded. and amazed. hw did samsung got such a huge amount of coins?
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Gbawe: 12:11pm On Sep 02, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Absolutely love this if true. I am partial to Samsung products myself (TV, phones 3g tablets and DSLR Camera) and I have noticed the deliberate and paid attempt to 'badmouth' what are very good Products. All these tactics are driven by fear of losing market share.

Established manufacturers should step up their game instead of resorting to dirty tactics like using bribed reviewers to malign Samsung products in favour of others who see themselves arrogantly as the kings of the Market. I definitely want Samsung to stand up to bullying in defending their market space and seeking to increase it with comparatively great products. Let others also step up their inventive efforts so that the end users and consumers, the most important group, always win.
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by nduchucks: 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
smiley This story cannot be true. In the United States while coins and currency a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor, there is no law mandating that a private business, must accept them.

Any business is free to develop its own policies on whether or not to accept cash. All Apple needed to do was to send the truck back to Samsung without accepting the coins. I'm sure Apple will not have any trouble stating that they have a policy which limits the amount of coins acceptable to, say $20.
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by texazzpete(m): 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2012
pato405: This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

the funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.

This dirty but genius geek troll play is a new headache to Apple executives as they will need to put in long hours counting all that money, to check if it is all there and to try to deposit it crossing fingers to hope a bank will accept all the coins.

Lee Kun-hee, Chairman of Samsung Electronics, told the media that his company is not going to be intimidated by a group of “geeks with style” and that if they want to play dirty, they also know how to do it.

You can use your coins to buy refreshments at the little machine for life or melt the coins to make computers, that’s not my problem, I already paid them and fulfilled the law. grin grin grin grin grin grin

A total of 20 billion coins, delivery hope to finish this week.

Let’s see how Apple will respond to this.

source: http://en.paperblog.com/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cents-coins-294795/

I am filled with utter pity for your parents...all that money spent on your education and you cannot recognize an obvious hoax when you see it.

Apart from the obvious fact that it would be a costly ploy to do this, the logistics would be a nightmare...and it's doubtful anyone can aggregate that sum in coins without some serious backbreaking work.

Secondly, Samsung mentioned immediately after the judgement that they planned to appeal...So why would they pay any money now?

Thirdly, Samsung is a critical component supplier to Apple's iPhone and iPad...and that's business running into billions of dollars. Even if such an outlandish story were true, wouldn't Apple merely send back the money to Samsung as payment for services? And wouldn't Samsung know this already?

Finally, any money paid will be sent to the bank, not to Apple HQ. If Samsung were to pay in coins, why would it be Apple executives counting the money and not a bank...if any bank would accept payment in this mode?

Bottom line: YOU DO NOT DESERVE YOUR UNIVERSITY DEGREE!! cheesy
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by DonHummer(m): 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2012
Hahahahahaahaha...
Dis should be in da joke section
i no kno sa dis oyinbo pple dey craze pass us
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by naptu2: 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2012
[size=14pt]snopes.com: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion in Nickels[/size]

FALSE

Origins:   In August 2012, the business and technology worlds were rocked by a decision in a patent infringement lawsuit which had a jury finding that Samsung, the world's largest maker of cell phones, had copied patented features of Apple's iPhone and iPad technologies in several of its products, and awarding Apple $1.05 billion in damages.

Several days later, that decision was spoofed in a humor piece positing that Samsung had paid off the award in nickels:

Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5 Cents Coins

This morning more than 30 trucks filled with 5-cent coins arrived at Apple’s headquarters in California. Initially, the security company that protects the facility said the trucks were in the wrong place, but minutes later, Tim Cook (Apple CEO) received a call from Samsung CEO explaining that they will pay $1 billion dollars for the fine recently ruled against the South Korean company in this way.

The funny part is that the signed document does not specify a single payment method, so Samsung is entitled to send the creators of the iPhone their billion dollars in the way they deem best.

Many readers who came across the article as it was circulated online mistook it for real news, even though the original and its most common reproductions were labeled as "humor" and "satire." But even for those who encountered it out of context, several aspects of the story should have stood out as implausible:

The jury decision awarding Apple $1.05 billion in damages had been issued only a few days earlier, and damages as large as this are not paid off nearly so quickly. The judge in the case has not yet handed down her decision, and undoubtedly several rounds of appeals (likely culminating in a settlement), dragging on for months (if not years), will take place before Samsung actually pays out any damages to Apple, as noted in the Washington Post:

Q. Was the verdict final?

A. No. Samsung is challenging it. First, Samsung will first ask the trial judge to toss the verdict. Then it will appeal to a court in Washington that specializes in patent appeals. Samsung has vowed to take the fight all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, if necessary.

To pay off a billion dollars in nickels would require 20 billion of those coins. That amount would require Samsung to obtain the equivalent of all the nickels struck by the U.S. Mint in the last several decades. (In 2011, for example, the U.S. Mint produced less than one billion nickels, and 2010 less than half a billion.) Samsung would have to round up virtually every nickel in circulation to acquire over $1 billion worth of those coins, a feat that could hardly be accomplished without having a significant impact on the U.S. monetary system.

A single nickel weights 5 grams (about .011 pounds), so a billion dollars' worth of nickels would weigh in at about 110,000 tons. That load would far exceed the carrying capacity of 30 or so trucks (requiring each truck to carry over 3,600 tons, or more than 7.2 million lbs. each). The equivalent of about 2,755 eighteen-wheeler trucks, each hauling 40 tons' worth of nickels, would be needed to transport the weight of that many coins. (Even if we ignored the weight factor, the sheer physical volume of that many nickels would likely require the use of many more trucks to carry them all.)

As to the hypothetical question of whether Apple would be obligated to accept payment of damages in such a form, since the late 19th century pennies and nickels have been considered legal tender and are therefore "a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor." (Businesses selling goods or services are not required by law to accept legal tender as payment, but this particular scenario involves payment of a debt rather than a purchase of goods or services.)

Last updated:   29 August 2012

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/samsung.asp
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Acidosis(m): 2:54pm On Sep 02, 2012
If tis true then I HAVE A REASON TO ALWAYS RESPECT FOREIGN BUSINESS MEN
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 02, 2012
Its a satire....and a beautiful one.
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by pato405(m): 3:52pm On Sep 02, 2012
texazzpete:

I am filled with utter pity for your parents...all that money spent on your education and you cannot recognize an obvious hoax when you see it.

Apart from the obvious fact that it would be a costly ploy to do this, the logistics would be a nightmare...and it's doubtful anyone can aggregate that sum in coins without some serious backbreaking work.

Secondly, Samsung mentioned immediately after the judgement that they planned to appeal...So why would they pay any money now?

Thirdly, Samsung is a critical component supplier to Apple's iPhone and iPad...and that's business running into billions of dollars. Even if such an outlandish story were true, wouldn't Apple merely send back the money to Samsung as payment for services? And wouldn't Samsung know this already?

Finally, any money paid will be sent to the bank, not to Apple HQ. If Samsung were to pay in coins, why would it be Apple executives counting the money and not a bank...if any bank would accept payment in this mode?

Bottom line: YOU DO NOT DESERVE YOUR UNIVERSITY DEGREE!! cheesy

@ texazzpete: I just imagine what pleasure you derive from being insultive. I have CLEARLY acknowledged the source of the article. you must be really re.tarded to have involved my parents. it shows how much you regard yours if a mere online article could make you refer to your miserable parents. WOE BETIDE YOU texazzpete.

if you were not devoid of rational and logical thinking, you would have articulated your points without being uncouth. I wonder if your ancestry has any modicum of value and regard instilled down your generation. others have commented on this post without hauling bitter words indiscriminately and recklessly, but demented morons like you who are obviously frustrated with their being alive and seeking cheap avenues to vent their frustrations will forever lurk on NL rather than doing the right thing.

word of advice for you caveman texazzpete: go get a sturdy rope, a stool and make use of your ceiling fan pls or better still, find your way to third mainland bridge and do a jimmy jump off. I'm sure neither your miserable parents nor your sibbling will miss you. we members of this noble forum, shall NOT in ANYWAY miss you either. your demise will simply be regarded by all and sundry as one hopeless cretin down. angry

STOP YOUR VACUOUS & EMPTY ONLINE REMONSTRATION...I'M NOT THE REASON YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO GAIN A UNIVERSITY DEGREE AT 40 !! wink

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by texazzpete(m): 7:11pm On Sep 02, 2012
pato405:

@ texazzpete: I just imagine what pleasure you derive from being insultive. I have CLEARLY acknowledged the source of the article. you must be really re.tarded to have involved my parents. it shows how much you regard yours if a mere online article could make you refer to your miserable parents. WOE BETIDE YOU texazzpete.

if you were not devoid of rational and logical thinking, you would have articulated your points without being uncouth. I wonder if your ancestry has any modicum of value and regard instilled down your generation. others have commented on this post without hauling bitter words indiscriminately and recklessly, but demented morons like you who are obviously frustrated with their being alive and seeking cheap avenues to vent their frustrations will forever lurk on NL rather than doing the right thing.

word of advice for you caveman texazzpete: go get a sturdy rope, a stool and make use of your ceiling fan pls or better still, find your way to third mainland bridge and do a jimmy jump off. I'm sure neither your miserable parents nor your sibbling will miss you. we members of this noble forum, shall NOT in ANYWAY miss you either. your demise will simply be regarded by all and sundry as one hopeless cretin down. angry

STOP YOUR VACUOUS & EMPTY ONLINE REMONSTRATION...I'M NOT THE REASON YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO GAIN A UNIVERSITY DEGREE AT 40 !! wink

You know why i'm so hard on m0r0ns like you? I think of all the brilliant people I know who are now dead...Mickey Olumoye, Charles, Jude, Osaro...all brillant fellows with first class brains. All gone.

Now it personally offends me that utterly brilliant fellows are gone before their time...and a someone like you with a stunted IQ (how else would someone fall for this story) is still drawing air happily!

Others may sugar coat their words...but it takes a special type of cretin to fall for this OBVIOUS, OBVIOUS hoax.

Linking to the source does not exonerate you for your imbecility...God gave you your brains to THINK and process information. It can be argued that thinking that everything on the internet is absolutely correct is another manifestation of imbecility, but i'll leave that diagnosis for another day.

PS: I graduated nearly 10 years ago...but even when I was in SS2 i would not have fallen for this hoax grin
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 02, 2012
Even if this wasn't a joke. . . . Amelikka has had something like a coin counter (even common Walmart has one) for a while. Just dump the coin in the machine and it'll count the amount.
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by pato405(m): 10:48pm On Sep 02, 2012
texazzpete:

You know why i'm so hard on m0r0ns like you? I think of all the brilliant people I know who are now dead...Mickey Olumoye, Charles, Jude, Osaro...all brillant fellows with first class brains. All gone.

Now it personally offends me that utterly brilliant fellows are gone before their time...and a someone like you with a stunted IQ (how else would someone fall for this story) is still drawing air happily!

Others may sugar coat their words...but it takes a special type of cretin to fall for this OBVIOUS, OBVIOUS hoax.

Linking to the source does not exonerate you for your imbecility...God gave you your brains to THINK and process information. It can be argued that thinking that everything on the internet is absolutely correct is another manifestation of imbecility, but i'll leave that diagnosis for another day.

PS: I graduated nearly 10 years ago...but even when I was in SS2 i would not have fallen for this hoax grin

this guy is not only demented, he is so so jobless!!! snooping around NL searching for whom to bandy expletives with. I've got no time for nitwits like you mofo. a tadpole is wiser than you are. quit quoting imaginary names from the depth of your hallucination. it's just one of the side effects of the anti-psychotic d.rugs your shrink has loaded you with.

i understand your plight as a schizo patient hurriedly discharged out of a psychiatric ward of your failed medical jungles you call hospitals in 9ja. your likes should be shot and thrown into the lagoon. your existence is of no value even to the community of lunatics you belong.

there you go again basking in delusion and false euphoria, hallucinating about being a graduate. you wish! grin..OLODO troglodite busy constituting nuisance on NL. you were NEVER in school. I will expose you on this forum. 3 times you were expelled from a mushroom polytechnic in ogbomosho. stop bickering here. go to ogbomosho and lick your wounds. any SS2 student, even 1 with cerebral palsy knows very well that re-publishing an article does not necessarily denote taking sides with the message embedded in the article. that's a CLEAR evidence your lunacy has crossed Rubicon. no shrink can redeem you, NOT even BEN CARSON.

go search your Lilliputian cave in that squalor you live and call a home, get your monocle you cyclop and read the tread again if you'll see any post from me suggesting my stance on the topic. guy, you duuuuuuummmmmbbbbbbbbb grin grin grin grin!!!!!!!!
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by texazzpete(m): 6:42am On Sep 03, 2012
pato405:

this guy is not only demented, he is so so jobless!!! snooping around NL searching for whom to bandy expletives with. I've got no time for nitwits like you mofo. a tadpole is wiser than you are. quit quoting imaginary names from the depth of your hallucination. it's just one of the side effects of the anti-psychotic d.rugs your shrink has loaded you with.

i understand your plight as a schizo patient hurriedly discharged out of a psychiatric ward of your failed medical jungles you call hospitals in 9ja. your likes should be shot and thrown into the lagoon. your existence is of no value even to the community of lunatics you belong.

there you go again basking in delusion and false euphoria, hallucinating about being a graduate. you wish! grin..OLODO troglodite busy constituting nuisance on NL. you were NEVER in school. I will expose you on this forum. 3 times you were expelled from a mushroom polytechnic in ogbomosho. stop bickering here. go to ogbomosho and lick your wounds. any SS2 student, even 1 with cerebral palsy knows very well that re-publishing an article does not necessarily denote taking sides with the message embedded in the article. that's a CLEAR evidence your lunacy has crossed Rubicon. no shrink can redeem you, NOT even BEN CARSON.

go search your Lilliputian cave in that squalor you live and call a home, get your monocle you cyclop and read the tread again if you'll see any post from me suggesting my stance on the topic. guy, you duuuuuuummmmmbbbbbbbbb grin grin grin grin!!!!!!!!

Now you've gotten that off your chest, are you finally at peace?

If i recall correctly, you originally posted this in the 'Politics' section of Nairaland. Yet another proof of a stunted IQ cheesy
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by pato405(m): 8:20am On Sep 03, 2012
texazzpete:

Now you've gotten that off your chest, are you finally at peace?

If i recall correctly, you originally posted this in the 'Politics' section of Nairaland. Yet another proof of a stunted IQ cheesy

I weep for 9ja if cretins like you are awarded certificates. CLEAR evidence that there is NO HOPE for that country, not in anyone's wildest dreams! A FAILED STATE!! what a SHAME! angry how the hell did you skate through primary school? your cretinism is unparalleled!
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by Jeezy: 9:42am On Sep 04, 2012
pato405:

Is Ben Carson a shrink? undecided undecided
Re: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full Of 5 Cents Coins by pato405(m): 9:14pm On Sep 05, 2012
Jeezy:

Is Ben Carson a shrink? undecided undecided

that's to prove to you the nitwits case has crossed into neuro - psychia.

1. he has poor hand-eye cordination, little wonder he's been typing away trash from the depth of his folly.

2. his reasoning skills is equal to that of a housefly and I really feel like using an insecticide on the dimwit now 'cos he's worse than a toilet fly.

(1) (Reply)

Who Wore It Better? / See The Man Who Sold His Property Went To Eritrea And Married Two Women (photo) / Girl Posted Her Nude :o On Her Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.