Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? (14362 Views)

What Next After Nysc? / What Next After NYSC NIM Induction? / Why Do Females Get Job Faster Than The Males After NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by ZeusI: 5:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
Because they failed to engage themselves to something productive while studying, hoping that govt will provide which is irrational in regards the economic situation in the country. I have said this time without number that what every reasonable Nigerian should learn is 'Igbocracy'(no sentiments please) which i defines as 'an economic system in which individuals engage themselves in progressive activities, regardless of the Government support'(which rarely comes).
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by searay(m): 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
Donlittle: ;Dcause there is no job? nd the jobs remaining are offered to white men. nd every nigerian wants to work in the office, even the one that read agriculture and farming
Please can you answer the following?
1. What do u know about agriculture Nig?
2. What aspect of Agriculture are you refering to?
3. Practically, has Nigeria really diversify her economy?
4. Are all agric or agric related graduates politicians to get loans from gov't? Or do they all have collateral to obtain loans from the bank?
I'm waiting for the ans
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 04, 2012
My goodness. I've seen some really inane front page threads on NL in my time. . .but this one takes the cake. Or is the topic supposed to be a rhetorical question? You mean you [i]really[i/] don't know why corpers lack employment after NYSC?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by chucky234(m): 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
Ukeme453: Because they start appling 4 job wen dey finish nysc. If one start appling 1 mnth b/4 pop, dey may call him/her 4 interview say 2 or 3 mnth after nysc. Also, dey dnt hv anoda certificate 2 support deir 1st degree. Again, dey ignor orda of dey certi in d hus, thinking dt dey r nt impt, bt dey r 2 ur employer. Leta
Guy if you be corper better begin dey learn how to fry puff puff because no company go employ you for even gateman with that kain confusing grammar wey you dey blow for there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
searay:
4. Are all agric or agric related graduates politicians to get loans from gov't? Or do they all have collateral to obtain loans from the bank?
I'm waiting for the ans
wtf? wat i said and wat u re saying does not relate at all.
md bruh, i dont know
P.S- i took comprehension classes in nigeria, do they still offer those, cause right bout now, it seems ppl cant comprehend easily
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Gabrielsylar(m): 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
Due to back pain from endurance walk and s.eexx

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Okijajuju1(m): 5:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
searay:
I'm waiting for the ans

Its funny how people talk about Agriculture like its easy..

What incentives does the government offer to farmers?!

What loan facilities are open to intending farmers and how acessible is it?!

How do we encourage local farming when produce is being improted from abroad?!

Frozen Chiken is still being imported into Nigeria till tomorrow..

Dangote sells rice in bags daily, same as stallion, yet these companies dont own a single rice farm in Nigeria.. Yet Abakiliki rice is in the market..
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by stunna2(m): 5:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
One OLODO African lady was brought to America after her African Husband went to marry her in Africa and when she got here later moved out of their rental apartment to be with another man who wears tie to work every morning!

it turns out later that the new guy often complains about money when the old husband did not and she finally asked why this is the case since you wear tie to work and my husband did not, how come u never have money n workd in the office?

the dude asked her what her x husband did and she said he is a construction worker and didt wear tie to work and i could not settle for that...i think you must make more money based on how you dress to work!?!

needless to say the guy was just a front desk clerk at a cable n phone retail giant and makes less than half the salary of the x husband who works as a skilled tradesman!!

s
o, all naija boys and girls keep lining up for university and then all the graduates should continue to line up for office jobs, k people

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

Its funny how people talk about Agriculture like its easy..

What incentives does the government offer to farmers?!

What loan facilities are open to intending farmers and how acessible is it?!

How do we encourage local farming when produce is being improted from abroad?!

Frozen Chiken is still being imported into Nigeria till tomorrow..

Dangote sells rice in bags daily, same as stallion, yet these companies dont own a single rice farm in Nigeria.. Yet Abakiliki rice is in the market..

BAAAAAAAAANG ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agriculture is more serious business than industry or tertiary. it is the root of all industries! angry angry angry angry angry angry
OUR GOVT. MUST ENCOURAGE AND SPECIALIZE AGRICULTURE!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by cashmentor(m): 5:29pm On Sep 04, 2012
Every economy, Great, Small or Clueless will only survive and Grow when people start creating Jobs rather than looking for one....
The US economy is highly supported by self employed, entrepreneurs and small Biz owners....and the best part is that majority of these Biz owners are either drop outs or pure illitrates.. So, ur question should have been, "why do Copers lack creativity and initiative"?
My dear, No economy will ever grow if everyone look for Jobs, economies only grow when People Create Jobs....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Dee60: 5:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
True story. We wanted corpers posted to us and went to NYSC to speak to some. We were ready to train them and retain them if they did well. Most of the corpers considered us too small. They were waiting for banks and oil companies. Some of them wasted that year of service just waiting for the right company...now after more than 1 year after service they are considering working with us!

Lessons
1. Corpers, please make up your mind early enough on what you want during and after service
2. Look for potential, and not necessarily after big names that wont retain you
3. Never consider your NYSC year as holiday. It is a time to prove your worth and get something for yourself! In a more competitive world people would rather employ corpers who gained some experience during NYSC and they would like to avoid loafers.

4, Dont wait to get something as good as your friend...fingers are not equal.
5. Remember, some people start big and end small, while some others start small and end big. LOOK AT POTENTIAL!
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by sexiestharam(f): 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
I think the answer to this question is quite simple. There are no enough jobs! NYSC discharges over 70,000 corpers to the labour market every four months. Means in a year, over 210,000 youths enter the labour market. Also, they have people who have been unemployed since previous years competing for the same jobs. Imagine the number. Do we have up to 210,000 jobs for young nigerians? Companies call for test for employment
and over 50,000 people apply for 9 positions. Imagine! I know self-employment is the answer, but what about people who don't even have the money to start a business of their own? Nigeria, I hail thee...
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by demmie1: 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
jackbauersballs:

Guy you just described my school of thought perfectly!

My Certificate SHOULD be a lifetime meal ticket!

I ENDURED Education for almost TWENTY years to get it!
Na woo fuss yu to endor. yu for don yus TWENTY yass sell pats abi dress
yor laff for don beta.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by saintiyke(m): 5:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Why was i banned?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2012
Yello1: It is no longer news that corpers do go from being employed for a period of one year by federal government to being unemployed after.

why?

Simply, there are no job opportunities in Nigeria to absorb all the available workforce (corpers included). Its only Lagos, PH, and little from Abuja that mostly absorb most graduates in Nigeria, whereas other states that even have more higher institutions churning out graduates in mass have no single job opportunity to employ the mass of graduates they produce. So to say, most states in Nigeria with more number of higher institutions have no job opportunities coming from their end. for example, states like; Osun, Enugu, Imo, Oyo, et al, have more number of higher institutions in Nigeria when compared to other states, with few employment opportunity there, tell me, how do we balance the number of graduates they produce with the little opportunities there? So my brother, Nigeria have no even job opportunities to employ 30% of graduates to talk of all! We need all possible job-creation strategies in Nigeria to curb this cos its affecting every other thing in Nigeria from relationships, marriages, dating, crime, security, way of worship, entertainment, etc. Very bad condition. NNPC is recruiting and Honeywell is also recruiting, try them ok? Good luck, God will see you through! Sighs
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
The truth is that a lot of corps members are lazy, they want to serve in private companies where they will be well-paid but yet,they are not ready to give their best. I find it rather annoying to see youths walk into my office looking for a place to serve and when you give them simple aptitude tests, they fail woefully. Yet they come here to type rubbish and heap all the blame on the government and their "wicked" lecturers. This doesn't mean that some are not good enough, but majority of the "corpers" i had contact with recently were big disappointments. Mind you, i served too and was retained.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by tjmikoyo: 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
Due 2 nigeria factor, e.g corrupt politician.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bibol: The truth is that a lot of corps members are lazy, they want to serve in private companies where they will be well-paid but yet,they are not ready to give their best. I find it rather annoying to see youths walk into my office looking for a place to serve and when you give them simple aptitude tests, they fail woefully. Yet they come here to type rubbish and heap all the blame on the government and their "wicked" lecturers. This doesn't mean that some are not good enough, but majority of the "corpers" i had contact with recently were big disappointments. Mind you, i served too and was retained.

My sister, being lucky doesn't mean that you are the best, just give the glory to God for giving you the grace to make it cos there are thousands if not millions better than you during and before your set who couldn't find a place to work or even find a dime to start a personal business. Pls blame the corpers not, blame the Nigerian situation, if we had a good government and balanced economy, what is job? people decide where they want to work, so dear, you were only lucky, not that you are better than others roaming the street, so be kind to job-seekers coming to your office cos it is not by your making but of God that showeth mercy!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Phymeify: 5:53pm On Sep 04, 2012
People dont let us just talk any how cause our government are the cause, but we people have to be blamed largerly, if you ask me why i will say the following:

1)We are too relaxed
2)We are not ready to challenge our self
3)We wait to be spoon feed by people around us etc.

So my fellow people let not wait for our government nor people before we make stand up to do what is expected of us.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by demmie1: 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
But seriously Nigerian graduates are trained with the mind-set that a job is waiting for them somewhere after they graduate, so they don't see education as means of developing themselves to take up challenges to be self reliant. the nysc even compounded their problems with raising their false hopes with frivolousness instead of training them to develop entrepreneurial skills (and i'm not talking about beads making)and becoming job creators instead of job seekers.
If these views are not corrected, then employment problems will persist.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by BREAD4SEUN: 5:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
OH MY GOD, THE PRICE OF "BREAD" HAS RISEN EVEN MORE OOOO angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by demmie1: 5:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
pro01: My goodness. I've seen some really inane front page threads on NL in my time. . .but this one takes the cake. Or is the topic supposed to be a rhetorical question? You mean you [i]really[i/] don't know why corpers lack employment after NYSC?
if you know it just tell! idiot.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by lucynkem: 5:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
simply because they were trained to look for jobs and not for job creation.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 6:00pm On Sep 04, 2012
DailyNews:

My sister, being lucky doesn't mean that you are the best, just give the glory to God for giving you the grace to make it cos there are thousands if not millions better than you during and before your set who couldn't find a place to work or even find a dime to start a personal business. Pls blame the corpers not, blame the Nigerian situation, if we had a good government and balanced economy, what is job? people decide where they want to work, so dear, you were only lucky, not that you are better than others roaming the street, so be kind to job-seekers coming to your office cos it is not by your making but of God that showeth mercy!
Just what i thought! I think you didn't read the part where i said i've met some extraordinary graduates. I agree one needs God to get a good job, however many corps members are lazy. Maybe if people start thinking of ways to develop inner skills, we won't be here blaming our government. This govt has failed the youths, its high time we stopped trusting them cuz our leaders have nothing much to offer. Its totally wrong to accept corps members just because they are roaming the street, thereby, increasing the level of mediocrity in your organization. If someone deserves a placement, why not? But its sad to expect that you will get a good posting just by weeping and carrying a sad face about.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 6:03pm On Sep 04, 2012
demmie1: But seriously Nigerian graduates are trained with the mind-set that a job is waiting for them somewhere after they graduate, so they don't see education as means of developing themselves to take up challenges to be self reliant. the nysc even compounded their problems with raising their false hopes with frivolousness instead of training them to develop entrepreneurial skills (and i'm not talking about beads making)and becoming job creators instead of job seekers.
If these views are not corrected, then employment problems will persist.
Now that got me ROFLMAO cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by BREAD4SEUN: 6:05pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bibol: The truth is that a lot of corps members are lazy, they want to serve in private companies where they will be well-paid but yet,they are not ready to give their best. I find it rather annoying to see youths walk into my office looking for a place to serve and when you give them simple aptitude tests, they fail woefully. Yet they come here to type rubbish and heap all the blame on the government and their "wicked" lecturers. This doesn't mean that some are not good enough, but majority of the "corpers" i had contact with recently were big disappointments. Mind you, i served too and was retained.
COMMON SHUTUP, PROSTI-TUTE. THEY RETAINED YOU JUST FOR SEX-UAL PLEASURE.
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by ajalaolanr(m): 6:06pm On Sep 04, 2012
very dumb queston? next
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by searay(m): 6:08pm On Sep 04, 2012
Until yes2day i was jobless, not because iam lasy or creative. Jobs at IITA, NRCI,AKADEP etc all required not less than 10yrs. How many fresh graduates have that experience?
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by Bibol(f): 6:12pm On Sep 04, 2012
BREAD_4_SEUN:
COMMON SHUTUP, PROSTI-TUTE. THEY RETAINED YOU JUST FOR SEX-UAL PLEASURE.
Oh really? Just like you were sent away for fraud undecided tongue. Its a pity your little brain can't understand the fact that some people still get jobs based on God's favour and merit. tongue
Re: Why Do Corpers Lack Employment After NYSC? by searay(m): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
Donlittle: wtf? wat i said and wat u re saying does not relate at all.
md bruh, i dont know
P.S- i took comprehension classes in nigeria, do they still offer those, cause right bout now, it seems ppl cant comprehend easily
so even after going thru all this classes, u still can't read n comprehend or did u type wat u don't knw? Go and read the bolded part, ok?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Should The NYSC Service Year Be Converted To Military Service? / Batch B 2013 Corpers Posted To Oyo State, Let's Meet Here / NYSC Defends Online Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.