Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? (10202 Views)

How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process / 7 Sentences You Shouldn't Say To Your Boss - EVER / When Your Boss Is Younger Than You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 04, 2012
I have this friend that took a job in a provision store, as a cashier, thus she has no appointment letter, nothing formal or binding between her and the owner of the shop. Now the owner has refused to pay her salary. What can she do (besides steal from the dude) to get her salary because she is fed up and wants to leave
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by JUO(m): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
AM WAITING
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by slightlyMad(f): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
dont deliver, simple

and remember to always frown your face at the slightest opportunity

2 Likes

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by bunmioguns(m): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by DIG1: 3:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
Most times such low level job does not come with appointment letter, none d less, dat does not mean dat d employer shld not fulfil his or her obligation, she shld enquire from d boss d reason 4 d delay of her enumeration, his respond will determine d next line of action.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Kx: 3:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
How about Peoples court, d one they show in MITV or one of those lagos stations?
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Afam4eva(m): 3:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
Kx: How about Peoples court, d one they show in MITV or one of those lagos stations?
There's even a Nigerian version.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by djeezy(m): 3:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
Does such low jobs come with appointment letters or terms and conditions of employment or is it an implied contract of employment? Still confused on this, need to make some researches and come up with possible remedies.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by djeezy(m): 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
DIG1: Most times such low level job does not come with appointment letter, none d less, dat does not mean dat d employer shld not fulfil his or her obligation, she shld enquire from d boss d reason 4 d delay of her enumeration, his respond will determine d next line of action.
I was wondering about the same thing too.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Donmeca(m): 3:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
For how long has d salary been held? What did d boss say about it? Is she afraid of her boss?
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by SisiKill1: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
I swear when I read things like this, I feel like going on a shooting spree, some people are just freaking wicked. angry angry

@
I think the kind of advice you will go is gonna depend on what your friend is ready to do. . .how far she is ready to go for justice. Unfortunately with the subservient mentally that most worker have. . .I doubt it's gonna be too far, so suggesting getting a lawyer is out. Besides in a a society of Money Talks Bullshite Walks, the boss might end up winning.

The only thing I can say is let her quit now (Don't give any notice) and find another job. I know the first instinct is to say quit ke but honestly, wouldn't you rather quit and take the time off to look for another job than spend money (I assume she is taking transport) to go to a job where you aren't being paid? At this point his present job is costing her more!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by freecocoa(f): 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2012
If na me as long as people always see me there as the attendant and can bear witness to me working there,

If I tell him and he refuses to pay, i'll get some people informed even the police sef, if that one no work then na to take his goods worth how much he owes me and leave, when he's ready to do business he will look for me.

2 Likes

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by poj(m): 3:39pm On Sep 04, 2012
Poster u ve not told us whether the boss in question is doing so deliberately or due financial incapability. If ds info is provided then one can give an appropriate advice.

1 Like

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by DICKtator: 3:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
She needs to complain or does her boss expect her to be feeding on garri alone?
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
grin grin grin grin
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2012
The boss is doing it deliberately, whenever she asks for her salary, the boss laughs and says he hasnt been able to pay himself his own salary of 400k and until he gets his own salary, she cant get hers. Meanwhile the boss has collected almost a million from the company's pocket.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by seedord247(m): 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2012
Whats the function of agbero in lagos??
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by ifyalways(f): 3:57pm On Sep 04, 2012
What reason did the boss give for the non payment of the salary?

Have she "asked" for the money?I know she's not supposed to but at this point, she has no option than to ask.

She can start job hunting now. Depending on what reply the boss gives her for not paying her, she can go with 2 of her referees and demand for her money or its equivalent(goods in the store)

No reason is good enough to withhold anyones 'full' salary. No matter how bad business is, the employee should pay atleast part of her salary if not for anything, for her feeding and taxi fare.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Edithamazoya(m): 4:01pm On Sep 04, 2012
The boss is doing it deliberately, whenever she asks for her salary, the boss laughs and says he hasnt been able to pay himself his own salary of 400k and until he gets his own salary, she cant get hers. Meanwhile the boss has collected almost a million from the company's pocket.
[/quote]

I suggest she should be firm and fearless in asking for the money. What I feel is that the boss want to make her submit to him which should not be the case here. There are contracts that are implied and this is one of them.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by ifyalways(f): 4:04pm On Sep 04, 2012
Oh really? @OP.

Is this boss the owner of the business or the manager, a fellow employer?

The best and diplomatic way to go about it is to go with 2 of her referees to her boss and ask for her money or its equivalent.

~mans wickedness to man~
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by timbs001(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2012
Edithamazoya: The boss is doing it deliberately, whenever she asks for her salary, the boss laughs and says he hasnt been able to pay himself his own salary of 400k and until he gets his own salary, she cant get hers. Meanwhile the boss has collected almost a million from the company's pocket.

I suggest she should be firm and fearless in asking for the money. What I feel is that the boss want to make her submit to him which should not be the case here. There are contracts that are implied and this is one of them.

Something fishy must be going on here! The boss has money and is refusing to pay her?
@op ask your friend, Has her boss made advances at her before and she declined? Probably the boss thinks its pay back time.
cry
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by sylve11: 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2012
A friend of mine once ran with his boss' keyboard, mouse, and flat screen monitor becos of ops' same plight. cool
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by freecocoa(f): 4:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
Bludeville: The boss is doing it deliberately, whenever she asks for her salary, the boss laughs and says he hasnt been able to pay himself his own salary of 400k and until he gets his own salary, she cant get hers. Meanwhile the boss has collected almost a million from the company's pocket.
He says this and your friend is still seeking advice? Well sha if i talk now e go be like say i dey make mouth, that her boss never see something angry.

That's pure wickedness.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 04, 2012
freecocoa: If na me as long as people always see me there as the attendant and can bear witness to me working there,

If I tell him and he refuses to pay, i'll get some people informed even the police sef, if that one no work then na to take his goods worth how much he owes me and leave, when he's ready to do business he will look for me.
Correct babe!! Exactly the same tin i will do. Simple!!
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by lumeneng22: 4:37pm On Sep 04, 2012
Man MUST wack now! Your boss has created avenue for you to steal simple. Otherwise wetin you go chop? Like my friend who work at petrol station and his salary is always delayed, there is no option than for them to sell diesel,kerosine,petrol and engine oil. Even those truck drivers who are under paid, they sell diesel and gas to make up. Who be fool?
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Phymeify: 5:45pm On Sep 04, 2012
When your Boss refuse to pay you, all you need to do is be focused in what you are doing, cos money is not everything in life, that why it is good to have something you do personally,because day's like this comes up in some limited company.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by STUNTS007: 5:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
Its very easy to think and conclude as an employee. For one second put yourself in the shoes of an employer.Yeah he collected over a million naira from the company account, but that's not enough to conclude.The intricacies related to sole proprietorship implies that at some point in the life of a business, certain critical decisions will have to be taken that might affect the salaries and some other benefits.

The most important thing at such point is communication and trust. For those people advocating for stealing and police action, it depends on the boss as that action can backfire get the person in jail. Dialogue or holding your head high and walking away remains the best course of action.

2 Likes

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by MMM2(m): 6:25pm On Sep 04, 2012
Op

Tell her 2 kidnap d shoe owner undecided
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by OPEYEMIAD(m): 7:51pm On Sep 04, 2012
I sugest the boss should be reported to the media,There is one program call brekete family voice of the voice less at love fm 104.5abuja. They can easily follow the mater and colect your money for you without charging kobo.
Just text or call 08033221149

1 Like

Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by LarryTreash(m): 9:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
Giv him rat poison. Him PAPA;> he shldnt try dat wit me oo
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Fidtad: 11:53pm On Sep 04, 2012
just put in less effort, when he asked you to leave, then u call peoples' attention.
Re: When Your Boss Refuses To Pay Your Salary? by Ogundale(m): 12:17am On Sep 05, 2012
Let him/her sit the company that the best way.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unit Manager At Fortune Limited / Latest Tuesday And Thursday Guardian Vacancies / Please, Do Anyone Know About CFLEAD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.