Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,154 members, 7,807,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? (12068 Views)

Ladies What Are Your Reasons For Refusing A Guy That Admires You? / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor / A "Marriage Proposal By Police" In Port Harcourt (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by salt1: 8:18pm On Sep 04, 2012
@ redsun and pretty boi, marriage takes more than love.
So she can't use her feelings ONLY as guide for her choice. Every marriage must have an emotional base, an economic base, an educational base. Else why won't you marry a truck pusher based on love alone?
Secondly, women suffer in many marriages. She is often not considered as an equal party in the marriage.
My dear sister, SHINE YOUR EYE before you jump into something that will be ur nightmare.
A man wooing a woman is a very different person from the husband in the house.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
claremont:
No one was born with any religion, everyone was Atheist at birth.
Wrong! Atheists choose to be who they are. . . We were born choiceless!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by salt1: 8:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
thomasonih: You need to sit with him and address the salient issues involved. What happens once the glams were off Can your friendship sustain it. In what religion what the children be raised. i cant think of any other one right now aside the above but would update later.

No need! Even if he swears to her that she will be his only wife all his life, he can still exercise his fundamental human right to change his mind.
Look for someone that shares your belief. Marriage has enough headache. Don't add Quran and Bible differences to an already challenging relationship

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by salt1: 8:26pm On Sep 04, 2012
oraclefemi:

no matter how he pesters she should say no..i hope you're married otherwise when she comes here to say i am single and desperate on a new topic, you should be the first to comment. Religion has existed for so long and it is now that we are segregating ourselves and saying i can't do this with another human..does his religion make him evil? there are some terrible christians out there that will hide their characters and even your pastor will support the marriage ..then he starts showing his real self. fear go catch you. My eldest sister was actually in your shoes but she knew this guy as a friend for some years back and after many bad relationships with different christian guys whom my mom liked ...it never worked for her until this guy came from an old friend to the level that they fell in love..my mom went crazy( being a strong woman in rccg)she opposed it like a plague, even quoting the scriptures above but my sister was adamant and went ahead..got pregnant and had a kid for this muslim guy..now they are happy, the guy is really really nice and my mom now likes him but the deal they had was that she should allow her worship as a christian and not interfere which they agreed ...now they're so happy together and this guy even comes to camp with her and my mom..he says his prayers can get answered anywhere ....so poster don't allow some laws that were made without considering peoples emotions ruin your life !!
How old is your sister's marriage? They LOOK happy together? Your sister is happy that her husband doesn't kneel and pray with her? I wish them lasting happiness but appearance can be deceitful, especially in marriage
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Theblessed(f): 8:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
[b][size=16pt]Well, it is not a matter of 'wrong or right', it is something deeper than that.

If it were only going to be the two of you - I can't see much problems and depending on how strong your own Christian beliefs are otherwise, compromise wins it all for both you however, when children starts arriving how would you raise them? Would it be with his religious beliefs and values or yours? undecided

These are issues people should consider when marrying out of their religion, as care should be taken here, not to stir up trouble and unhappiness for yourselves in future.

Personally, I will not marry a man I do not share religious beliefs and values with and, I suggest you both should leave this sleeping dog to lie as it is right now, and move on to greater happiness.

And where your man insist and believes he loves you dearly that, he could not afford to loose you, why don't he convert to yours for the sake of happiness together and peace in your home.

You should both think deeply about this issues, for the sake of your love/future happiness.

[/size][/b]
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by mandat81: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2012
for God sake why are we allowing religion to seperate us frm God not giving us our blessing. dnt forget that when our lord jesus came to this earth he did not preach religion but he preach the kingdom of God.God brot his kingdom to dis earth and not religion. therefore religion can not take u to heaven cos if it was religion that take ppl to heaven some dead christian or muslim will all be in heaven and not hell.

my dear frd listen to ur heart and pray to God to reveal ur tru husband to u, cos some dis guys here wil only confuse u and never tell u d trut of who to marry. only u can do that. all the best in ur choice and God bless u. amennnnnnn

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by juce: 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
belief system is very important when considering a life partner. What is your personal belief as a christain? you need to sincerely answer this question on your own.

Will your Ex be able to overcome pressures from friends and family when confronted with the question why he is marrying an unbeliver?
Will he marry you as his only wife or remain faithful to your union? that is if this bothers you.
where is the marriage taking place, church or mosque?

A lot of considerations and factors to look at.

personally, I will advice that beds a feather flocks together.

Goodluck with whatever decision you finally make
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by mandat81: 9:33pm On Sep 04, 2012
the christian calls the muslim unbeliever and the muslim calls christian unbeliever, abeg make una tell me na who come be the believer then? cos it seems like we dont even knw who d believer is. CHAI!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by aryzgreat: 10:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
Run for ur life! wot religion do u think ur children will practice? how will u cope with his family's pressure being d only christian in the midst of muslim brother-inlaws, sister-inlaws, mother-inlaw etc, how will u feel when u wake up to pray, nd ur husband is on the mat hitting head? will u be able to withstand other wives? my dear there is a lot of issues that will crop up and eventually affect ur marriage, its not a must that all ladies shoud get married, i better remain single than dabble into fire.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Suchie(m): 10:27pm On Sep 04, 2012
God forbid,me marry a muslim tufiakwa..with all these there boko haram thingy.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by kenerep: 1:05am On Sep 05, 2012
why isn't anyone asking the op why she is considering marrying a guy when she is in a relationship with another? Op why not just say you like the muslim dude? You said he knows you are in a relationship but you are giving him the option of converting to your religion if he wants to marry you. It is either you know your present relationship is not wedding bound and you desperately need to get married or your present bf is in trouble.

Chai after 50 years of development our people can still think like this.....na wa o. What religion will cause!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by teenyyinka(f): 1:39am On Sep 05, 2012
my sister pls flee, i made that silly mistake of my life all in the name of love and am regreting it now. it first started with my husband after 6months of my mariage he called me and tried to brainwashed me that for the sake of our children we should practice islam, after that my mother inlaw won't stop saying i should not take our 1.6yr old daughter to church, my own parent too won't stop telling me not to forsake the gathering of brethren. in a nutshell am niether a xten nor a muslim now, pls don't mary him out of pity or because he has been disturbing u for years pls have a rethink ooo. as my people would say OHUN TON
BE LEHIN EFA OJu EJEE LO.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by DrDoGood1(m): 2:09am On Sep 05, 2012
@ Op, You refuse his marriage proposal because he is a muslim?
Then You what are you?
Are you a christian: if yes then you are not a good christian because if u are, u would not ask this question.

When you knew him was he not a muslim? Are u just realising now that he is a muslim.

Please decide now 2 marry him and become a muslim because i can see that u are not a serious christian.

Hw old are u? This ur question sucks.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Nobody: 5:29am On Sep 05, 2012
Marriage is not all about the love and mushy stuff as most of you are making it out to be. Love alone cannot hold a marriage. The key to a marriage is patience. Can you live with the person? Can you tolerate his values and beliefs? If you cannot, take the nearest exit out of the relationship.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 05, 2012
toria1980: Dear Nairalanders,

My ex proposes to me, i refuse his marriage proposal because he is a Muslim.
in his words he said "i wont stop you from practicing your religion". but i refuse him, for two years now he is still beginning me to marry him
You shouldn't change your mind on your stance, I believe you are already dating someone else. Ask him to leave you alone, if he persists, threaten to embarrass him. Muslims are animals, if he is not an animal, he has friends of that religion that are animals. He should let you be, as a matter of fact stop associating with him. Give am chance, let him go and mix with his type.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by 46arcadez(m): 7:54am On Sep 05, 2012
Dnt mari bcuz u pity him/her or u want 2 compensate, just mari bcuz d lov is mutual
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by bittertruth2: 8:00am On Sep 05, 2012
Well, as for me, if a Muslim girl would follow me to Christianity, fine for her. I can marry her. But for me to become a Muslim? God forbid bad thing! I can never and none of my daughters can marry a Muslim. But my children can marry Muslim girls who must be ready to be born again and accept only JESUS CHRIST.[i][/i]
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by remmydada(m): 8:19am On Sep 05, 2012
well the first thing u need to know is in heaven there is no basis for family, if the guy trully love you he will allow u to continue with ur religion, but such agreement never last, due to family pressures, let say u get married and both of u relocate to another town where both of u dont have any relations it might still work, but u have to weigh all the advantages and disadvantage, no matter what we adviced its ur heart that have the final say, listen to ur heart.

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Landcruiser: 8:31am On Sep 05, 2012
Its wrong cos its two different believe
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Jasiel(f): 9:27am On Sep 05, 2012
Wondering if Jarus, Maclatunji, deols, sweetnecta will say something.....
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by jmoore(m): 10:55am On Sep 05, 2012
If you marry him where will your kids go to mosque or church? This and more will be a major conflict when you marry him.
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by USAutoBuy(m): 11:43am On Sep 05, 2012
Religion has been and will always be decisive no matter where you turn. My question is that why is this an option for the OP to be considering this guy after all these years?

Apparently, things are not as rosy with the new/current relationship she is in. If you are happy with your partner, there is no amount of pleading from an ex that can make you consider him / her.

An ex is an ex for a reason. Religion/Politics/system beliefs are pretty big deal.

I really don't care who you settle with, just know and be damn sure that he/she will get your back when the chips are down.

Religion are very convenient for an excuse. If you fall sick tomorrow and you are at a point of life and death, you will not care what religion your doctor is. In fact you will gladly be flown to Saudi / Iraq if that is where your hope of survival lies.

Marrying a Xtian does not say that the guy will not marry someone else or stray on you. If you think so, i think i cannot help you cos religion must have got a wool over your eyes. There are Pastors impregnating church members and getting divorced these days. Nothing is new under the sun.

Good luck while you search for answers for your lifelong questions

Regards

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by foluks24(f): 12:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
Acidosis: Oh Lord Have Mercy!!

Okay, You dated a muslim, and He serviced you all through the relationship.

Now that he wants marriage, you answered NO.

Did you not think about your religion, while he was servicing you on the bed, while you were exchanging blood, water and feelings? Did your religion support all that? ?

Stop deceiving yourself woman, religion can't work for you, church is not meant for you.

So just go and marry him, stop this religious trash..
this person asked for an advice and not to be condemned,and did she tell u dey av been sharing the same bed?if yes ,aw is dat supose to be d basis for ur advice.as if u are a saint either.SMH

2 Likes

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by biancaekele2(f): 1:14pm On Sep 05, 2012
[quote author=seedord247]

So, muslims and christians serve different God?

Most of what is written in the bible in is in the quran... The only thing thats different btw the 2 religion is their form of worship and the language they used in interacting with God when praying.

If educated folks like you can believe in what you wrote above, i see know reason why we shout for peace. shocked

Christianity is never the same with Islam. The Holy books having similar write ups/law does not make them the same! the great difference is Jesus Christ the Saviour in whom they(muslims) have ignorantly refused to accept as their Saviour. smiley
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by biancaekele2(f): 1:25pm On Sep 05, 2012
As for me, religion can not make u a believer, because my definition of a believer is "he who loves God and keeps His commandments" Muslims practice the law of Moses without Love, and all Christians will agree with me that Christ is Love himself"

mandat81: the christian calls the muslim unbeliever and the muslim calls christian unbeliever, abeg make una tell me na who come be the believer then? cos it seems like we dont even knw who d believer is. CHAI!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by idugbe(m): 3:08pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ever heard of unequal yoke? If you are actually a christian then you should not be asking this question cos one night when you'll start blasting in tongues na him you go know say no be the same story when dem talk go market dem dey talk when dem dey return!
Repent and seek God's face and he will give you your own man!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by Debest2: 9:21pm On Sep 05, 2012
Hi everyone, I want to start, by thanking all of you, who have made your various invaluable contributions, toward the question (poser), toria1980 has asked here. You have all spoken well. In fact, my heart goes to all of you (more especially, to afam4eva; chrisbenogor; Deen4me; dasparrow; salt1; Theblessed; juce and aryzgreat). These guys, spoke eloquently. From, what I read, some persons castigated toria1980, for dating the guy, for 2 good yrs, before separating from him. Let me say here, that, no matter how far, you have gone on a wrong way, the very moment, it occurs to you that, you are on a wrong way, please retrace your steps. It's never to late, to make corrections. Now, concerning the subject matter, I want to let us know that, "MARRIAGE IS A VERY SACRED UNION"; and requires an agreement primarily, by the 2 persons concerned and even family members, in some cases. That's why, one has to be very careful, when making decisions, concerning marriage. The BIBLE, in Amos 3 vs 3, says, CAN TWO WALK TOGETHER, EXCEPT THEY AGREE? Obviously no. And 2Corinthians 6 vs 15-16, says, DO NOT BE UNEQUALLY YOKED TOGETHER, WITH UNBELIEVERS. The BIBLE gave the above advice, because the All-knowing God, wants us (you and me) to be aware that, such circumstances may come up, sometimes in our lives. Wait a minute. Why won't the guy, leave toria1980 alone, after 8 yrs of separation? He can't tell me, it is LOVE, that is making him to come back. Is toria1980 holding the key, to his destiny? If so, then he should convert to CHRISTIANITY. Otherwise, I am, beginning to think, he has a "HIDDEN AGENDA" toward toria1980. The BIBLE, in Philippians 4 vs 6, says, BE CAREFUL, FOR NOTHING. When reviewed critically, to BE CAREFUL, FOR NOTHING, means to BE CAREFUL, IN EVERYTHING WE DO. Those who said, "RELIGION SHOULD NOT SEPARATE LOVE", doesn't know what they are saying. Religion is a way of life. And whether you like it or not, "YOU ARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE". Don't forget that, THERE IS ANOTHER LIFE, AFTER THIS ONE. WHERE DO YOU WANT TO SPEND YOUR ETERNITY? The CHOICE is yours, to make. Based on the above, I want to advise that, toria1980 should not succumb to pressure, to marry the guy; otherwise another ISHMAEL AND ISAAC, may be visiting NAIJA, in the shortest possible time. Bye for now and may the good Lord, BLESS ALL OF YOU (and me, too) RICHLY, in Jesus name (Amen). cool shocked cool
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by toria1980(f): 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2012
very well said

De-best:
Hi everyone, I want start, by thanking all of you, who have made your various invaluable contributions, toward the question (poser), toria1980 has asked here. You have all spoken well. In fact, my heart goes to all of you (more especially, to afam4eva; chrisbenogor; Deen4me; dasparrow; salt1; Theblessed; juce and aryzgreat). These guys, spoke eloquently. From, what I read, some persons castigated toria1980, for dating the guy, for 2 good yrs, before separating from him. Let me say here, that, no matter how far, you have gone on a wrong way, the very moment, it occurs to you that, you are on a wrong way, please retrace your steps. It's never to late, to make corrections. Now, concerning the subject matter, I want to let us know that, "MARRIAGE IS A VERY SACRED UNION"; and requires an agreement primarily, by the 2 persons concerned and even family members, in some cases. That's why, one has to be very careful, when making decisions, concerning marriage. The BIBLE, in Amos 3 vs 3, says, CAN TWO WALK TOGETHER, EXCEPT THEY AGREE? Obviously no. And 2Corinthians 6 vs 15-16, says, DO NOT BE UNEQUALLY YOKED TOGETHER, WITH UNBELIEVERS. The BIBLE gave the above advice, because the All-knowing God, wants us (you and me) to be aware that, such circumstances may come up, sometimes in our lives. Wait a minute. Why won't the guy, leave toria1980 alone, after 8 yrs of separation? He can't tell me, it is LOVE, that is making him to come back. Is toria1980 holding the key, to his destiny? If so, then he should convert to CHRISTIANITY. Otherwise, I am, beginning to think, he has a "HIDDEN AGENDA" toward toria1980. The BIBLE, in Philippians 4 vs 6, says, BE CAREFUL, FOR NOTHING. When reviewed critically, to BE CAREFUL, FOR NOTHING, means to BE CAREFUL, IN EVERYTHING WE DO. Those who said, "RELIGION SHOULD NOT SEPARATE LOVE", doesn't know what they are saying. Religion is a way of life. And whether you like it or not, "YOU ARE WHAT YOU BELIEVE". Don't forget that, THERE IS ANOTHER LIFE, AFTER THIS ONE. WHERE DO YOU WANT TO SPEND YOUR ETERNITY? The CHOICE is yours, to make. Based on the above, I want to advise that, toria1980 should succumb to pressure, to marry the guy; otherwise another ISHMAEL AND ISAAC, may be visiting NAIJA, in the shortest possible time. Bye for now and may the good Lord, BLESS ALL OF YOU (and me, too) RICHLY, in Jesus name (Amen). cool shocked cool
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by polosco(m): 10:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
In my candid and Biblical opinion it shouldn't be considered because the two of you don't have the same mind and the same goal, because the visions are different, but the problem from the beginning is that you were doing religion thing, Christianity is not religion it is LIFE. You are no longer your own, you now belong to Jesus, Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. . For instance how can the two of you practice this: http://mymorningdew.com/worship-as-a-tool-for-spiritual-warfare/ if you belong to different faith? You shouldn't have been involved with him right from the beginning, you went on your own way or rather you had no part in the family of God yet, therefore you need to first of all go and give your life to Jesus and be born again then in preparing for Christ second coming you have to choose right by waiting for Him to lead you in your choice of marriage partner, because as many asare ledby Him are His children. God bless you!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by horladort(m): 7:47am On Sep 06, 2012
natasha: So wat do u want us to tell you. Just remember in this day and age of boko haram, hmmmmmmm. Love is never enough.
A word is enough for the wise.
funny how peeps judge tho.. So yu mean d man wld put a bomb in d woman's closet! smiley

1 Like

Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by horladort(m): 8:18am On Sep 06, 2012
polosco: In my candid and Biblical opinion it shouldn't be considered because the two of you don't have the same mind and the same goal, because the visions are different, but the problem from the beginning is that you were doing religion thing, Christianity is not religion it is LIFE. You are no longer your own, you now belong to Jesus, Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. . For instance how can the two of you practice this: http://mymorningdew.com/worship-as-a-tool-for-spiritual-warfare/ if you belong to different faith? You shouldn't have been involved with him right from the beginning, you went on your own way or rather you had no part in the family of God yet, therefore you need to first of all go and give your life to Jesus and be born again then in preparing for Christ second coming you have to choose right by waiting for Him to lead you in your choice of marriage partner, because as many asare ledby Him are His children. God bless you!
our basic goal in life is to attain d kingdom of heaven. & dis shall be determined by чυя deeds in life & not the religion you practise! True religion of God have no flaws, only those that practise it do! Scriptures have bn modified to favour evry party! Regardless of чυя mode of worship, when der is utmost fear of God, чυя deeds can't hinder themselvz coz yu r aiming for one goal!!! As humans, we want evrytin ard us to be in our favour, to take part in our practise! There r a thousand & one peaceful marriages out there with the muslim-christain thing.marrying som1 from чυя birth religion doesn't guarantee a peaceful successful marriage. Love is basic!
Re: Refusing A Marriage Proposal Based On Religion? by horladort(m): 8:42am On Sep 06, 2012
toria1980: very well said

. Same Old story.. We'll never come to term! Xtains stick to their believe as being the ryt religion, Muslims stick to their believe as being the ryt one!!! The Holy book hold the same scripture & I av said it b4.. They have no flaws, it is we dt practise it that are with the flaws! Only God knws the true person that worships him. Toria plz.. If yu love him, & yu can accertain that he loves & av future plans with you, kindly enjoy чυя marriage with him. None of our tlks on here shld influence you. The only person yu shld fear is one who does nt beliv in God, not one wit a diff way of worshipn him!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No Br’a Day: See What The Ladies Posted Across The World. [see Photos] / Awkward Ideology Of Nigerian Ladies Towards Feminism That Ruins Relationship / How Many Men Have U Had Sex With (ladies Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.