Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,096 members, 7,807,274 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:50 AM

Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? (1764 Views)

Cynthia's Murder: Courts Orders Re-arrest Of Pharmacist / Suspect In Cynthia’s Murder Seeks N50M Damages / More Suspects Arrested In Cynthia's Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Sep 05, 2012
It's sad that a young lady like Cynthia was killed by some bastardss who have no regard for human life. However i want to know why some news get a lot of mention than others. Why the media frenzy about this particular murder? is it that this kind of thing has never happened before or that it's been a long time since someone was killed like these? I'm just curious.

I also noticed the same thing about the Abia r*ape case...
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by bashr8: 12:41pm On Sep 05, 2012
her father is in the army, the police are using it to gain attention. people still get kille, robbed, r.aped everydayand the police remains helpless. at this rate they will soon start arrsting everybody she came accross even people at the airport, meanwhile this thread is not supposed to be news it is however a lesson for people that buy used item in nigeria cus you dont know if its stolen but if nigerians stop buying used itemit will have a great effect on the economy and since your not God theres no way you can tell if the used item your buying was stoeln especially if they refurbish it like they did with her phone.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by dasparrow: 1:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva: It's sad that a young lady like Cynthia was killed by some bastardss who have no regard fro human life. However i want to know why some news get a lot of mention than others. Why the media frenzy about this particular murder? is it that this kind of thing has never happened before or that it's been a long time since someone was killed like these? I'm just curious.

I think it is due to 2 reasons:

1. The girl in question is a big man's daughter. A retired general in the Nigerian army.

2. The gruesomeness of the crime. The manner in which she was killed. The girl was young, driven, business minded and probably too trusting. Those heartless young men just had to waste her life like that. This case along with the Abia r*ape case brings to the forefront how hostile generally speaking Nigerian society is to her women folks. The other day I was reading of ra*pe cases in enugu I believe where young men are ra*ping elderly women and widows. I mean, common! Is Nigerian society crawling with beasts? where do we draw the line?
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Afam4eva(m): 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
dasparrow:

1. The girl in question is a big man's daughter. A retired general in the Nigerian army.

2. The gruesomeness of the crime. The manner in which she was killed. The girl was young, driven, business minded and probably too trusting. Those heartless young men just had to waste her life like that. This case along with the Abia r*ape case brings to the forefront how hostile generally speaking Nigerian society is to her women folks. The other day I was reading of ra*pe cases in enugu I believe where young men are ra*ping elderly women and widows. I mean, common! Is Nigerian society crawling with beasts? where do we draw the line?
The fact that her dad is a retired general but that murder is not the most gruesome that i've heard of in recent past. Infact some of them happen without being reported.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by bashr8: 1:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
dasparrow:

your number one point is in other as for number two , you have no idea how many rape casses occur everyday in nigeria ,even the country where your typing from is not spared so abeg make we hear word, why didnt we get a frenzy when young female high school children that where travelling on the express where stopped ,robbed and all raped.like i said police is using it to get attention .

hope you never came in contact with the cynthia girl or sold anything to her cause you might be the next to be arrested and published for the social networks to feast on. nigerian police before you even report a crime they demand for bribe or fuel money if not they will just throw out the case, when they are broke they raid neighbourhoods look for young men ,arrest then and extort them if you dont settle they will accuse you of being an armed robber and lock you up and if your not from a wealthy or influential family then sorry for you , go to the prisons and see what is happening there young innocent people wasting away, look at the pharmacist that was arrested no newpaper or social network is reporting his false arrest before you know it that young man's life will be over.

1 Like

Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Obinoscopy(m): 1:20pm On Sep 05, 2012
The frenzy is because it all originated via a social network called facebook. A case of murder via facebook has never been reported before
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by MacLovington(m): 2:00pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva: It's sad that a young lady like Cynthia was killed by some bastardss who have no regard fro human life. However i want to know why some news get a lot of mention than others. Why the media frenzy about this particular murder? is it that this kind of thing has never happened before or that it's been a long time since someone was killed like these? I'm just curious.

You see, even in a society numb to violence and brutality because it's too common, once in a while something happens that shocks everyone.

Cynthia is an all Nigerian babe. The kind of daughter/wife/GF/bridesmaid/granddaughter/niece/aunt everyone would like to have. It takes a tragic event like hers to wake us up from our collective coma and realise our monumental failure as a society. I hope.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Afam4eva(m): 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2012
MacLovington: .

You see, even in a society numb to violence and brutality because it's too common, once in a while something happens that shocks everyone.

Cynthia is an all Nigerian babe. The kind of daughter/wife/GF/bridesmaid/granddaughter/niece/aunt everyone would like to have. It takes a tragic event like hers to wake us up from our collective coma and realise our monumental failure as a society. I hope.
You have a point there..
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by dasparrow: 3:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
bashr8: your number one point is in other as for number two , you have no idea how many rape casses occur everyday in nigeria ,even the country where your typing from is not spared so abeg make we hear word, why didnt we get a frenzy when young female high school children that where travelling on the express where stopped ,robbed and all raped.like i said police is using it to get attention .

hope you never came in contact with the cynthia girl or sold anything to her cause you might be the next to be arrested and published for the social networks to feast on. nigerian police before you even report a crime they demand for bribe or fuel money if not they will just throw out the case, when they are broke they raid neighbourhoods look for young men ,arrest then and extort them if you dont settle they will accuse you of being an armed robber and lock you up and if your not from a wealthy or influential family then sorry for you , go to the prisons and see what is happening there young innocent people wasting away, look at the pharmacist that was arrested no newpaper or social network is reporting his false arrest before you know it that young man's life will be over.

Okay, take it easy! We are not fighting okay? I should not have to be attacked for stating my opinion. After all, it IS a public online forum and I will not tolerate anyone including you responding to my post in that rude tone and manner even if you don't agree with what I have said. I assume we're all mature adults on this forum so let's try to act civilized because unnecessary disrespect pisses me off.

With that said, let me address some of the points you made. I need you to point out where in my initial post I explicitly stated that the country where I live in does not have gruesome crimes? Secondly, I actually DO have an idea that r*ape cases occur very frequently in Nigeria hence I asked in my initial post "where do we draw the line?" Thirdly, there was quite a media frenzy about the female students of Holy Rosary College Enugu who were returning home from school and got r*aped by armed robbers at the Oke-odo end of Sagamu-Benin expressway. I know I read about the atrocious act of r*ape commited on those young girls on several online Nigerian media sites.

Now to your second paragraph. What do you mean when you say "hope you never came in contact with the cynthia girl or sold anything to her cause you might be the next to be arrested and published for the social networks to feast on.?" First of all, I don't live in Nigeria. Secondly, when I do decide to visit Nigeria, I don't come there to sell because to the glory of God I am financially blessed in the country I reside in. Thirdly, my immediate family members (Parent, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins) don't live in Lagos or in the core northern states. And lastly, my trip to Nigeria is always a very brief one. I don't make noise when I come. I visit quietly, mingle only with family members and then leave back to my base. I don't need any unnecessary wahala in my life. So, the probability of me selling whatever to the late Cynthia (who is a complete stranger to me) would have been slim. Don't you think?

As for the other things you said, you are just preaching to the choir. I spent my formative years growing up in Nigeria. I left Nigeria after secondary school. Though I was born abroad, my parents brought me back to Nigeria as a young child so that I can familiarize myself with Nigerian culture and way of life. So you don't need to tell me stuff about Nigeria that I already know. I am very much aware that Nigerian police officers don't get paid well. I am equally aware that bribery and corruption is the order of the day in all sectors in Nigeria and the Nigerian police force is not excluded.

I am also aware that if you are not influential or wealthy in Nigeria or related to someone who is, you are screwed. This is why I attributed as my number one point for Cynthia's death getting so much attention to the fact that she is a big man's daughter. If she was a poor man's daughter, no one would have heard about this crime. It would have been swept under the rug never to be heard about again.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by dasparrow: 3:09pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
The fact that her dad is a retired general but that murder is not the most gruesome that i've heard of in recent past. Infact some of them happen without being reported.

I am sure there are more gruesome crimes being commited in Nigeria that we don't hear about. Like I mentioned earlier in my initial post, the late Cynthia IS a big man's daughter and that alone is the number one reason why her case is getting all this attention. If she were the daughter of a poor man, I doubt the police will go the extra mile to look for and apprehend the suspects. Nigerian society is all about who you know and what kind of family you were born into. If you are born into a poor non influential family and you grow up and remain poor as an adult, then you are screwed in a place like Nigeria. It is what it is.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Crayola1: 3:46pm On Sep 05, 2012
Its a story that mixes class/status, beauty, and horrific crime all in one that's why its such a headliner.

If her dad was not who he was we probably would get a few stories here and there and that would be the end of it.
If she was not as pretty as she was people probably not jump as quickly as the did.
If the crime had been a simple rape/robbery it would have been a run of the mill story (which in of itself is sad) but the fact that by all accounts this was a young hardworking person that could have been your friend, sister, cousin, aunt, wife, and etc so savagely treated even the most desensitized have to take note.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Afam4eva(m): 6:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
Crayola1: Its a story that mixes class/status, beauty, and horrific crime all in one that's why its such a headliner.

If her dad was not who he was we probably would get a few stories here and there and that would be the end of it.
If she was not as pretty as she was people probably not jump as quickly as the did.
If the crime had been a simple rape/robbery it would have been a run of the mill story (which in of itself is sad) but the fact that by all accounts this was a young hardworking person that could have been your friend, sister, cousin, aunt, wife, and etc so savagely treated even the most desensitized have to take note.
You're on point.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Crayola1: 7:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
Its the same in the US except Skin color is a factor as well, be Blond, White,pretty, and a homemaker/hard working and your story will be carried all day every day.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 06, 2012
The frenzy is because of 2 famous social media tools: Facebook and blackberry messenger.
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 07, 2012
1) she was a big mans daughter

2) she was a fine girl - it is far easier to empathize with beautiful people

3) maybe because she was dead - if she had been left alive, she would have suffered in silence - nigerians stigmatize and have no sympathy for rape victims. we can all remember the sort of rubbish comments defending the absu 5.

4) the police commisioner needs to prove to nigerians and maybe the world that his administration will be different - that police are not little more than bribe taking, bumbling gun toting civil servants.

5) we may also have to give some credit to Linda ikeji - who first announced cythia's disappearance on her blog
Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by Afam4eva(m): 11:03am On Sep 07, 2012
oyb: 1) she was a big mans daughter

2) she was a fine girl - it is far easier to empathize with beautiful people

3) maybe because she was dead - if she had been left alive, she would have suffered in silence - nigerians stigmatize and have no sympathy for rape victims. we can all remember the sort of rubbish comments defending the absu 5.

4) the police commisioner needs to prove to nigerians and maybe the world that his administration will be different - that police are not little more than bribe taking, bumbling gun toting civil servants.

5) we may also have to give some credit to Linda ikeji - who first announced cythia's disappearance on her blog

Re: Cynthia's Murder: Why The Frenzy? by 33117(f): 8:31am On Mar 26, 2013
Actually ℓ̊ don't mean τ̲̅ȍ sound heartless or like ̷̸̷̥̐ ∕̴Ɩ ̷̐ pervert but ℓ̊ find the whole murder story quite erotic U̶̲̥̅̊ knw:rape and strangulation ☀̤̣̈̇f a pretty girl suspected ☀̤̣̈̇f being a prostitute. + i find the cover story quite unconvincing.
Good nite miss cynthia its a sad story all the same

(1) (Reply)

Fake UBA Alert / My Experience With The Deadly Fulani Herdsmen / Man Explains Why He Has Been Sleeping With His Brother's Wife For 7years (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.