Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? (1399 Views)

"666" Encrusted On My Blender: Should I Be Worried About This? (pics) / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 2:57pm On Sep 06, 2012
I am anti-tithe guy. I dislike tithing to the nth degree. I make fun of Joagbaje, the Nairaland tithe-preacher (AKA jo-dollar, jo-tithe, jo-cashflow)

However, I want to setup a humanist foundation or organisation. The probelm is that I can initially set up one with my own money and get links to international humanist organisations. Now, the problem is that to sustain such an organisation, I have to ask for dontations. Gen gennnnn!!!

Now, what is the difference between donations and tithes/offering?

In my opinion, unlike churches my organisation's budget would be both transparent and made available to members/stakeholders. Furthermore, we wont buy private jets or Rolls-royces with our donations. Furthermore, we wont stipulate any amount (especially 10%) from any donor.

Such an organisation can be funded by ticket sales from our sponsored events but donations are quite important.

2 Likes

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
You're not. See the difference:
Tithing stipulates the amount one MUST pay. Less and you go to hell. And it's mandatory.
Asking for donations is just that. Donations. There's no carrot/stick hoodoo involved. And it's for a cause other than fattening the pocket of MOGs worldwide. Geddit?
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 06, 2012
And when you do set it up, gimme an important position. Not necessarily one that pays. I need fame, like Gaga's Monster.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal: You're not. See the difference:
Tithing stipulates the amount one MUST pay. Less and you go to hell. And it's mandatory.
Asking for donations is just that. Donations. There's no carrot/stick hoodoo involved. And it's for a cause other than fattening the pocket of MOGs worldwide. Geddit?

Got it. However, you are going to be one of my first donors grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal: And when you do set it up, gimme an important position. Not necessarily one that pays. I need fame, like Gaga's Monster.

Do you live in lagos/Abuja?

Fly guys like me only move in capitals

1 Like

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2012
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm a struggling university student. I'm poor!
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Do you live in lagos/Abuja?

Fly guys like me only move in capitals
_
You, ke? Fly? Rotflmvwcamasfaoapmatst!
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I'm a struggling university student. I'm poor!

Sharrap. I doubt that you are poor.

You have a good grasp of English language, you have good knowledge of international politics and computers. Sorry but that betrays a very expensive private schooling.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 3:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
You, ke? Fly? Rotflmvwcamasfaoapmatst!

What? You do realise that I'm logicboy?
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You have a good grasp of English language, you have good knowledge of international politics and computers. Sorry but that betrays a very expensive private schooling.
_
No, me no go school. Me dey munch cassava bread from morni till night.

1 Like

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What? You do realise that I'm logicboy?

_
Yeah, and you were banned for being too brash. And crass. I'm sorry but that doesn't denote "fly".

1 Like

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 3:13pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
No, me no go school. Me dey munch cassava bread from morni till night.

lmao grin grin

1 Like

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

_
And all your above points are just circumstantial. I coulda picked 'em up from movies, internet, or heck, even public schools.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 4:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
Yeah, and you were banned for being too brash. And crass. I'm sorry but that doesn't denote "fly".

you were banned too grin
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 4:39pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
And all your above points are just circumstantial. I coulda picked 'em up from movies, internet, or heck, even public schools.

lies....private schooling ftw

1 Like

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

you were banned too grin
_
Spambot. As you can see I'm back.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 5:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
Spambot. As you can see I'm back.

Okay sorry then.

Back to the topic. What could you offer to a humanist org?
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01: I am anti-tithe guy. I dislike tithing to the nth degree. I make fun of Joagbaje, the Nairaland tithe-preacher (AKA jo-dollar, jo-tithe, jo-cashflow)

However, I want to setup a humanist foundation or organisation. The probelm is that I can initially set up one with my own money and get links to international humanist organisations. Now, the problem is that to sustain such an organisation, I have to ask for dontations. Gen gennnnn!!!

Now, what is the difference between donations and tithes/offering?

In my opinion, unlike churches my organisation's budget would be both transparent and made available to members/stakeholders. Furthermore, we wont buy private jets or Rolls-royces with our donations. Furthermore, we wont stipulate any amount (especially 10%) from any donor.

Such an organisation can be funded by ticket sales from our sponsored events but donations are quite important.
i see you took my advice to heart.anyways,lagos is a good place to start.
as for donations versus tithing,the difference is very clear.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 6:33pm On Sep 06, 2012
the focus of the group shouldnt be debunking religion,it should be advocating for the freedom of individuals to exist without religion.it should be advocating for the removal of the "religion" column from application forms.it should be advocating for the rights of people who dont adhere to religion to be able to live and be protected by the law.

you can always gain prominence by fighting the anti-gay law.people who arent religious shouldnt be forced to abide by laws made on the basis of religion

2 Likes

Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by wiegraf: 6:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
Delafruita: the focus of the group shouldnt be debunking religion,it should be advocating for the freedom of individuals to exist without religion.it should be advocating for the removal of the "religion" column from application forms.it should be advocating for the rights of people who dont adhere to religion to be able to live and be protected by the law.

you can always gain prominence by fighting the anti-gay law.people who arent religious shouldnt be forced to abide by laws made on the basis of religion

Very much this
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 7:07pm On Sep 06, 2012
Delafruita: the focus of the group shouldnt be debunking religion,it should be advocating for the freedom of individuals to exist without religion.it should be advocating for the removal of the "religion" column from application forms.it should be advocating for the rights of people who dont adhere to religion to be able to live and be protected by the law.

You are quite mad. I agree with most of your post but not the last part. I support gay rights but in Nigeria, that means 14 years in prison.

Let me solve other religious problems first. The gay issue is too much of a step.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 7:27pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You are quite mad. I agree with most of your post but not the last part. I support gay rights but in Nigeria, that means 14 years in prison.

Let me solve other religious problems first. The gay issue is too much of a step.
what better way to gain prominence than to fight against such a law?controversy is free publicity.

believe me,you will gain plenty of support within and outside nigeria.fighting against a law doesnt mean you are guilty of that law.
besides the NHA is already fighting the law and nnone of them has been arrested or jailed yet.the reality is very soon that law will be repealed.nigeria cant do without american partnership.the americans have told us they are against that law.however,hilary knows no nation would take their threat seriously with the possibility of romney winning the election.but if obama wins,then you can expect a full onslaught on all homophobic nations.malawi has already repealed the law.liberia has also been warned.what sense does it make to deny ourselves much needed foreign aid and investment because we hate gays?
better to stand against the law now and use that cause to get into the limelight
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 7:30pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

that law has more holes than a basket.besides supporting gay rights doesnt carry a prison term.been a gay is what is acrime.the burden of proof then lies with the prosecutor to provide evidence.
the law was just a publicity stunt to distract people from the subsidy issue.it cant be enforced
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 06, 2012
I might not agree with you, @Delafruita. In Nigeria, the law is lawless.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 7:42pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal: I might not agree with you, @Delafruita. In Nigeria, the law is lawless.
fortunately,that analogy applies both ways.laws are made but rarely implemented.have you heard of anyone arrested for been gay since that law was passed?
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 7:44pm On Sep 06, 2012
SimonAndal: I might not agree with you, @Delafruita. In Nigeria, the law is lawless.
besides the law is lawless when people dont know how to use the law.fighting for a controversial cause means your adversaries will be forced to play by the book
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 8:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
Delafruita:
what better way to gain prominence than to fight against such a law?controversy is free publicity.

believe me,you will gain plenty of support within and outside nigeria.fighting against a law doesnt mean you are guilty of that law.
besides the NHA is already fighting the law and nnone of them has been arrested or jailed yet.the reality is very soon that law will be repealed.nigeria cant do without american partnership.the americans have told us they are against that law.however,hilary knows no nation would take their threat seriously with the possibility of romney winning the election.but if obama wins,then you can expect a full onslaught on all homophobic nations.malawi has already repealed the law.liberia has also been warned.what sense does it make to deny ourselves much needed foreign aid and investment because we hate gays?
better to stand against the law now and use that cause to get into the limelight

I agree with you. But I have seen people acting like rabid dogs when gay rights is supported. They can kill and bend laws just to oppress gays
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Delafruita(m): 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
MacDaddy01:

I agree with you. But I have seen people acting like rabid dogs when gay rights is supported. They can kill and bend laws just to oppress gays
you chickening out because of fears of what might happen even before taking a step?thats a bad sign
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by MacDaddy01: 9:21pm On Sep 06, 2012
Delafruita:
you chickening out because of fears of what might happen even before taking a step?thats a bad sign

I conquer my fears one at a time. First step is debating and having conventions about secular humanism. Gay rights activism will come later.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by Bella3(f): 9:43pm On Sep 06, 2012
Meet the gays!
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by EvilBrain1(m): 9:43pm On Sep 06, 2012
Any charity that fights to keep religious cráp out our laws will have my full backing. I'll be happy to join in and even donate my poverty-stricken mite to fight the cause.

We could call it the secularity movement, SM.
Re: Would I Be An Atheist Hypocrite? by EvilBrain1(m): 9:45pm On Sep 06, 2012
Bélla3: Meet the gays!

Meet the trolls!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Warnings From Jesus, Economic Collapse, Judgement Of America / I Am A Hebrew Isrealite. Are You? / Since I Believed There Was No God, I Was No More Afraid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.