Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,450 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders (2511 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by desiree(f): 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2006
Apparently 80%-90% of women are not happy with the way they look, following recent press release in the UK criticizing the media's glorification of eating disorders on the covers of almost every magazine, I thought I should bring this topic to light. A peep into any glossy magazine will reveal a strange and even more controversial diet claiming to help you lose almost half of your entire body weight. Stick thin celebrities are being praised while their normal sized counterpartsĀ  are losing contracts. Magazines are now being forced to ban anorexic model from their front covers etc

Is the media responsible for eating disorders ie anorexia the same way fast food companies like Mac-Donald'sĀ  are held responsible for Obesity?
Does this issue affect Nigerian Women living in Nigeria and the diaspora?
To the men---- Do you have any slight adoration for any of this thin women??

Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by desiree(f): 6:29pm On Apr 11, 2006
another look

Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by desiree(f): 6:42pm On Apr 11, 2006
Victoria"skinny" Becks

Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by Seun(m): 6:46pm On Apr 11, 2006
The Nigerian media does not glorify eating disorders. Skininess signifies poverty in Nigeria, and Nigerian men tend to want their women to be large at least at the buttocks and in the front.
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by desiree(f): 6:52pm On Apr 11, 2006
@seun

ROFL
grin grin grin skinniness and poverty hmmmm for real??
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by sade511(f): 9:56pm On Apr 11, 2006
I dont know how people eat their food than throw it up, what is the whole point of eating it?
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by Zahymaka(m): 4:15am On Apr 12, 2006
People are crazy. Lots of people rely on celebrities' looks to decide what's good for them -- just like the torn jeans craze.

Check out Victorian paintings. The beautiful woman was always plump and healthy-looking but not obese. Nowadays most girls watch their weight [even little ones] and I always argue that the diseases Bulimia and Anorexia were created by the media.

They simply put clothes on women looking like they just came out of Nazi concentration camps -- and the world has never been the same again.

I wonder why it only affects women -- men are very comfortable with a beer-belly and don't care about weight.
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by Free(f): 4:50pm On Apr 12, 2006
yea blame it on the media, i dont know how
some ppl allow televesion, and magazines to tell
them how to live their lives,

you got those who are dying to be thin as hell
you basically look like bones, theys noting attractive about that,
and you got those who are fat and fabolous,
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by desiree(f): 5:56pm On Apr 12, 2006
Zahymaka:

People are crazy. Lots of people rely on celebrities' looks to decide what's good for them -- just like the torn jeans craze.

Check out Victorian paintings. The beautiful woman was always plump and healthy-looking but not obese. Nowadays most girls watch their weight [even little ones] and I always argue that the diseases Bulimia and Anorexia were created by the media.

They simply put clothes on women looking like they just came out of Nazi concentration camps -- and the world has never been the same again.

I wonder why it only affects women -- men are very comfortable with a beer-belly and don't care about weight.

well said smiley

This issue affect a small percentage of men, mostly those in entertainment and in the public eye.
Well, i do agree that everybody should take care of their body regardless of their gender or age but not to the very extreme of being sick or causing any ill health to themself. This is exactly the same for guys that do lots of weight-lifting and don't know when to stop, the obsession with body image comes in various forms.
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by Eastcoast(f): 12:13am On Jun 15, 2006
It is really sad coz more and more girls are affected by this disease called "dying to be a skeleton". I hope it quickly drifts away and guys start getting attracted to fat girls.
Re: Media Glorification Of Eating Disorders by Drusilla(f): 5:46am On Jun 15, 2006
Desiree,

I do not think it is the media.

I think it is European Culture.

You have to remember, back in the days of Greece, in Sparta, to marry their homosexual husbands (all male children were mated with a grown man warrior to be his sex slave and be trained as a warrior --consult any history book or even watch it on the discovery or history channel, that is where I saw it),

wear a cloth that flattened their chest and shave off any hair. Then they put on huge coats. Then they waited in dark room for their new husband.

This is because the men were not orientated to womens bodies and so in the dark and with most womanly parts hidden they would have first heterosexual experience.

They were forced to marry because of the need for the next generation of warriors.

Now move forward in history, women forced in chasity belts, women forced to cover themselves from head to toe. Girl children set out to die abandoned.

Women have no rights. Husband owns everything.

Marriage is still only for children. Specifically sex is only for children.

The idea of a husband who was unhappily married to an uptight and frigid woman is quite common.

You reach the 1960's, women want to be equal to men. What is the first thing that happens? Twiggy bursts forth on the scene. Skinniest non- looking like a woman body there is.

All the breasts are gone, all the buttocks are gone. She is a teenage boy.

This is how white women will gain entrace into being treated as an equal with men. She will not be a woman anymore. She must dissapear.

The message is all over. Dissapear woman, don't be a woman. (let us men be the women---ironically enough)

Thank God for Rappers. They have brought being and looking like a real woman, with butt and breasts back into style.

I kinda of smile, when I see white women trying to show off their behind. It is very encouraging that they are allowing Blackmen to help them fight off their European culture that basically tells them to be anybody, you must die off as a woman and become a man.

Some of the most popular songs by whitemen have these words in them:

I hate you. I hate everything about you. I did not mean to call you those names last night when I was drunk.

Those are of course white rock songs, so you will not hear any complaints about the fact that they are dogging on women.

People are too busy claiming that the rapper is the one dogging women.

In reality, one has to feel very sorry for the white woman.

Although she will not be any kinder racially to Blacks because she wants to imitate whiteman, she will consider it her duty to be as cruel or crueler to Blacks. To prove that she can be just as good as a whiteman.

(1) (Reply)

Designer And Oil Perfumes At Wholesale And Retail Price. Call 08143457779 To Ord / In The News: Gay Fashion Designer, Tom Ford Is A Father! / 10 Ankara Dresses Perfect For Church This Sunday (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.