Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply (17343 Views)

14 African Countries Forced By France To Pay Colonial Tax / Top 15 Countries With The Highest Population In The World. / Amnesty Intl Urges African Countries To Arrest George Bush When He Visits Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by freezykul(m): 12:39am On Sep 07, 2012
are their realy any african countries with 24hrs power supply,if u know any please share.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 07, 2012
namibia
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by Rossikk(m): 3:41pm On Sep 07, 2012
freezykul: are their realy any african countries with 24hrs power supply,if u know any please share.

I see where you're coming from. But the issue is not so much ''24 hrs power supply'', as ACCESS TO ELECTRICITY. What's the point in having 24/7 power supply when only 40% of your country is connected to your national grid, with those in the rural areas generally cut off from such services? This is the case with many developing countries that boast of ''24/7 power supply''. More than most African nations, Nigeria has made great strides in extending the national grid to rural areas, which may account for more 'load shedding' or power rationing than other African countries where power supply is limited to a few cities and towns plus the capital. Nigerians visit these places and get carried away by the illusion of 24/7 power they experience in those favoured locations, never venturing into the inner country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by andrewza: 11:44pm On Sep 07, 2012
Rossikk:

I see where you're coming from. But the issue is not so much ''24 hrs power supply'', as ACCESS TO ELECTRICITY. What's the point in having 24/7 power supply when only 40% of your country is connected to your national grid, with those in the rural areas generally cut off from such services? This is the case with many developing countries that boast of ''24/7 power supply''. More than most African nations, Nigeria has made great strides in extending the national grid to rural areas, which may account for more 'load shedding' or power rationing than other African countries where power supply is limited to a few cities and towns plus the capital. Nigerians visit these places and get carried away by the illusion of 24/7 power they experience in those favoured locations, never venturing into the inner country.

You make a very imported point. What the point off 24/7 power when only big cities get them. South Africa has 24/7 power and covers the majority of the country. But if just one of our power plants shuts down we get brown outs and the new plants are some way from completion.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by andrewza: 11:44pm On Sep 07, 2012
Rossikk:

You make a very imported point. What the point off 24/7 power when only big cities get them. South Africa has 24/7 power and covers the majority of the country. But if just one of our power plants shuts down we get brown outs and the new plants are some way from completion.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by gst101: 11:15am On Sep 09, 2012
@rossike. You are right on your points. We have light in most part of the country. That is, most neighbourhood are connected to the grid. Whether or not we have light at all times is a diff thing altogether.

My village is one of the parts of idomaland that is not connected to the grid. But about 60 percent of idomaland is connected to the grid; and the idomaland is one of the least connected to the grid. There are less than 12 states that have fewer communities connected to the grid.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by pendo89(f): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2012
Kenya.
Our supply source are the DAMS and they always function at full capacity.Except there is very bad weather and the water levels go down.
That may or may not happen and if it does it could be once a year. It has been years since I saw a generator in anybody's house because we don't really need them.
Hotels with generators on standby have them placed underground.
If lights ever go off, there is usually some work being carried out on the transformers and they MUST give notice on the dailies otherwise they can be sued should anything go wrong.If it's an emergency like a transformer blowing or an accident then they are excused.
I really don't understand how a city with industries and companies that rely on electricity 100% can function with persistent shortages.So many things would go wrong and the stakeholders would raise a storm.
I can't stay 24 hrs!! without electricity cz I would go mad.How.

Infact the biggest complainant would be the goverment itself so they try hard not to let it happen.The only issue citizens have is the high cost of electricity.
Most kenyans prefer solar as an alternative source esp in the rural areas.

1 Like

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by Rossikk(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2012
^^^Access to electricity in Kenya is a dismal 16%.

Essentially, outside Nairobi and Mombasa, it's every man for himself.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/kenya/access-to-electricity-percent-of-population-wb-data.html

1 Like

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by pendo89(f): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
The Access to electricity (% of population) in Kenya was 16.10 in 2009,according to a World Bank report, published in 2010.

A lot has happened since 2009 though, am not disputing the fact that rural areas are powered by other sources,despite the rural electrification programms taking place.The costs are prohibitive and so they opt for solar.

did u say outside nbo and mba? Those are only two towns in Kenya and u know kenya has 8 provinces @ with several towns.

The thing is,there is access to elec power in almost every corner except the marginalised communities who are mostly nomads. solar works best here.
But most people without electricity in their homes cannot afford to pay for the connection.It's apprx usd 500 per household to connect and that is quite a sum to a poor villager.
Many rural homes I have seen, have elect. poles right outside their gates but cannot pay the 500 usd to power their homes.

That was all part of the rural electrification programme which was initiated years back.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by Horus(m): 10:47am On Sep 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwAAkCA8HdA

[size=15pt]Electricity Power Situation in Nigeria: The True Story[/size]

This documentary film from Project Light Up Nigeria unveils the forces behind erratic electricity power supply in Nigeria while celebrating those contributing to a Nigeria of steady electricity power supply and well lit up streets at night.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by iterator25: 11:00pm On Sep 14, 2013
andrewza:

You make a very imported point. What the point off 24/7 power when only big cities get them. South Africa has 24/7 power and covers the majority of the country . But if just one of our power plants shuts down we get brown outs and the new plants are some way from completion.
witbank(despite her proximity to a coal mine) and few locations in south Africa can't boast of 24hours electricity. Why do you like boasting dude
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by paniki(m): 11:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
iterator25: witbank(despite her proximity to a coal mine) and few locations in south Africa can't boast of 24hours electricity. Why do you like boasting dude

Completely false. Eskom generates most of the power and they manage to keep the lights on 24/7. Where power goes off it's due to problems with sub stations and cable theft, it's not a generating problem but a distribution problem. And the 2011 census showed that electricity access has moved from 34%(1994) to 84%(2011) with a population that has nearly doubled in that period.

Read how Eskom keeps the grid from collapsing http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/inside-eskom-national-control-as-peak-pressures-mount-2013-07-26
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by mankand(m): 1:12am On Sep 15, 2013
Republic of Benin, Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Cote-De-Ivoire, Congo ete

2 Likes

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 2:31am On Sep 15, 2013
iterator25: witbank(despite her proximity to a coal mine) and few locations in south Africa can't boast of 24hours electricity. Why do you like boasting dude

You make me laugh, you re talking about the country that produces more than 50% of Africa's electricity. Zimbabwe, lesotho, Zwasiland, Botswana, Namibia, they all get Electricity from South Africa. At the current moment, 91% of South Africans have Access to Electricity. South Africa is the 12th biggest producer of Electricity in the World. SA produces 46 000MW of electricity. Currently they are building 2 biggest Power Plants in the World, MEDUPI Power Plant - 4 800MW and KUSILE - 4 800MW, at a Cost of R450Billion or $50 Billion. They are also Building a Hydropower Plant in KZN that will produce 1 800MW, then in 4 yrs time South Africa will be having a Total of 57 000MW. There is a Windmill project going on in PE. These are projects that are taking place not on paper.

I will upload pictures for you guys to see Real development not Empty promise we always hear from Nigeria, promising people 20 000MW in 5yrs time, that's a pipe dream. A country of 150m only produces 4000MW, damn. That's so bad and embarrasing. These projects I am talking about were started in 2007
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by panafrican(m): 5:06am On Sep 15, 2013
freezykul: are their realy any african countries with 24hrs power supply,if u know any please share.
Cote d'Ivoire has this 24/7 power supply since the 1960s.

1 Like

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by iterator25: 11:00am On Sep 15, 2013
paniki:

Completely false . Eskom generates most of the power and they manage to keep the lights on 24/7. Where power goes off it's due to problems with sub stations and cable theft, it's not a generating problem but a distribution problem. And the 2011 census showed that electricity access has moved from 34%(1994) to 84%(2011) with a population that has nearly doubled in that period.

Read how Eskom keeps the grid from collapsing http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article/inside-eskom-national-control-as-peak-pressures-mount-2013-07-26
What's there to lie about I didn't read my claim off an online source (s) it's what I know... not all locations in south Africa enjoy 'constant' 24 hours electricity ..Yes I'm aware you generate over 40000 mw
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 12:46am On Sep 16, 2013
iterator25:
What's there to lie about I didn't read my claim off an online source (s) it's what I know... not all locations in south Africa enjoy 'constant' 24 hours electricity ..Yes I'm aware you generate over 40000 mw

Then you think that 46 000MW just dissapear in the air. The only places that don't get Electricity are the Remote Farms. There is no a single town or community of more than 1000 people that does not have fresh drinking water and Electricity. That's why SA consumes more than 50% of Africa power. U think those MW just vanish in the sky.

1 Like

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 9:21am On Sep 16, 2013

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 9:29am On Sep 16, 2013
Medupi power plant

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 9:49am On Sep 16, 2013

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 10:06am On Sep 16, 2013

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 11:31am On Sep 16, 2013
This projects are not on paper as we always see on this website. Its happening and will be completed in 2017

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 11:40am On Sep 16, 2013
SA is building power plants that will produce more than what Nigeria consumes. Medupi + Kusile = 9 600MW, Nigerian still talking about 4000MW, when SA can build almost 10 000MW within 6yrs. You can do it Nigeria, you just need to put more effort and think about the country than your pocket.

1 Like

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
Here

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 12:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
Kusile power plant

Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by zaandrew: 12:21am On Sep 19, 2013
iterator25:

your claim that witbank does not get power was a lie, it does but due to destrubstion problems had a black out, even 1st world countries get black outs
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 2:53am On Sep 19, 2013
Somebody once said South Africans are lazy, if they were lazy would they build such a massive infrustructure.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by swankyvodamail: 7:30am On Sep 21, 2013
1,2:
Somebody once said South Africans are lazy, if they were lazy would they build such a massive infrustructure.
News Flash south Africa has added another 1200Mw power on friday to the national grid these is what I call govt delivery we walk the talk other talk the walk
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by 14(m): 11:27pm On Sep 21, 2013
swanky@vodamail:
News Flash south Africa has added another 1200Mw power on friday to the national grid these is what I call govt delivery we walk the talk other talk the walk

Definitely, grootvlei power plant was commissioned last week, another 1 200 MW for SA. While SA is working, other are busy making noise. As I said, after 4yrs, SA will be producing 60 000MW, while others are still talking about 4 000MW. SA economy is not growing as fast as that of Nigeria, but SA still build more infrustructure more than nigeria. Bare in mind that all these projects are being built by local companies.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by scofield2016: 3:33pm On Jan 06, 2020
Powering Africa’s Transformation

Africa has a bright future ahead of it. Productivity and growth will improve as African economies continue to place more emphasis on services and manufacturing, pursue commodity production, and achieve quick gains in agriculture and light industry.

But African countries’ success presupposes that they generate and manage energy sustainably to keep up with increasing demand. In the next 35 years, Africa’s population will continue to rise, with a projected 800 million people across the continent moving to cities. And Africans are already disproportionately exposed to the adverse effects of climate change, even though they are collectively responsible for less than 4% of global greenhouse-gas emissions.

Urban areas will have to reduce environmental stresses by promoting low-carbon energy systems, electric mass transportation, and energy-efficiency initiatives, as well as the use of cleaner cooking fuels. And rural areas can create new opportunities that reduce the need for urban migration, by expanding renewable energy systems and energy access.

https://transcorppower.com/2017/04/13/powering-africas-transformation/
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by sunboy(m): 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Benin republic, Ivory Coast... both enjoy 247 electricity. Even in the rural communities.
Re: African Countries With 24/7 Power Supply by tsdarkside(m): 7:29am On Jan 07, 2020
14:
SA is building power plants that will produce more than what Nigeria consumes. Medupi + Kusile = 9 600MW, Nigerian still talking about 4000MW, when SA can build almost 10 000MW within 6yrs. You can do it Nigeria, you just need to put more effort and think about the country than your pocket.

lets make something very clear to you east and south africans....

we dont give a fvck about any of una....

somebody that cant even coup with others wan give advice....
keep it to yourselfs....!!

whiles you think you are sometype of rainbow,your boers wish back apartheit....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lightning Strikes Kill 27 During India Monsoon Storm / "No Voter ID, No Sex For Kenyan Men" - Kenyan Female Politician / Malawi's President Sells Presidential Jet And 60 Mercedes Limousines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.