Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? (28430 Views)

History Of JUKUN People Of Northern Nigeria (A Must Read) / The Beauty Of Northern Nigerian Women / Pictures, Slight And Sound Of Northern Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by eziza: 6:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
macof: I didnt say there was no Edo group before Oranmiyan, wat I said was dat he displaced the former kings of the land and made his first son to continue, Edo is in no way yoruba but their kings are Yoruba

1) Oranmiyan did not reign in Benin.
2) Edo Kings are not Yoruba.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 8:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
eziza:

1) Oranmiyan did not reign in Benin.
2) Edo Kings are not Yoruba.
I have time to mix words wit someone as ignorant as u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by eziza: 8:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
macof: I have time to mix words wit someone as ignorant as u

Ignorant, you say? From someone who did not know an Edo name that venerate the Oba?

Nice that you kept your mouth shut. Thanks.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 9:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
eziza:

Ignorant, you say? From someone who did not know an Edo name that venerate the Oba?

Nice that you kept your mouth shut. Thanks.

am nt in the mood to argue ethnic stuff. When I have ur time I'll get back to you

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by ijawcitizen(m): 11:07am On Oct 12, 2013
The Ogiso dynasty wasn't heriditary. It was more like a traditional/customary democracy setting where the kingship rotated from town to town amongst the natives of the Benin Region who are the Ijaws, Binis & Urhobo.

Here is one more identifiable Ijaw Ogiso after the first two
" Ogiso Erebo (618– 632 CE), was a fisherman and canoe
carver, chosen from Okhorho quarters. (IKORO is an Ijaw community in Olodiama clan) He had a
repertoire of stories about sea animals such as
mermaids, sharks, crocodiles etc.

SOURCE: http://www.edofolks.com/html/osahon_ogiso_dynasty.htm

But today, the Oba of Benin (who is in fact a migrant) is describing the Ijaws in Edo state as riverine settlers from Bayelsa!

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by ambrosini593(m): 7:25am On Oct 29, 2013
Is Ijagba part of Ondo or Edo? Somebody should help
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Banuso99: 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2013
ambrosini593: Is Ijagba part of Ondo or Edo? Somebody should help

Ijagba is part of Ondo state.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by zarrina1200: 6:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
Hello My Dear,
Please pardon me if I busted into you in a wrong way, but i like to say this
truth in my heart.
I must confess that you are handsome and I would like you to know that this
handsomeness i see in you is the heart of every woman. I would like to know you
better as I am searching for a long lasting relationship.

I am a woman and my name is Miss zarrina and I just saw your profile and
sincerely i like you and would like to have a good relationship with you.
Also please tell me more about yourself, what is your Nationality, what is your
job and your position in your working place and everything you think I need to
know about you as your good friend.

Sorry if I ask too much Question just want to know you better and as I said
above my name is zarrina isako and I will tell you more about myself too when
I get your reply Do have a pleasant day and stay blessed. and here is my email
address (zarrinasaabira602@yahoo.co.uk) to write and send me an email I wait for
your reply. (zarrinasaabira602@yahoo.co.uk)
I will send my picture if i hear from you.
zarrina.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by ambrosini593(m): 8:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
quote author=zarrina1200]
Hello My Dear,
Please pardon me if I busted into you in a wrong way, but i like to say this
truth in my heart.
I must confess that you are handsome and I would like you to know that this
handsomeness i see in you is the heart of every woman. I would like to know you
better as I am searching for a long lasting relationship.

I am a woman and my name is Miss zarrina and I just saw your profile and
sincerely i like you and would like to have a good relationship with you.
Also please tell me more about yourself, what is your Nationality, what is your
job and your position in your working place and everything you think I need to
know about you as your good friend.

Sorry if I ask too much Question just want to know you better and as I said
above my name is zarrina isako and I will tell you more about myself too when
I get your reply Do have a pleasant day and stay blessed. and here is my email
address (zarrinasaabira602@yahoo.co.uk) to write and send me an email I wait for
your reply. (zarrinasaabira602@yahoo.co.uk)
I will send my picture if i hear from you.
zarrina.[/quote]
moderator please do justice to this scammer
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by wenzie: 6:58pm On Aug 09, 2014
I am from Ipe Akoko in Ondo state, and when we speak it sounds more like an edoid language. Eg the king of our town : ovie umihani ama. Good morning is - wai loghi. The thing is that we(Akoko people in Ondo State) have those that speak yoruba dialect and those that speak other dialects/languages that are not Yoruba. But it is generally accepted that we originated from Ile-Ife, so we are Yoruba.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2014
wenzie: I am from Ipe Akoko in Ondo state, and when we speak it sounds more like an edoid language. Eg the king of our town : ovie umihani ama. Good morning is - wai loghi. The thing is that we have those that speak yoruba dialect and those that speak other dialects that are not Yoruba. But it is generally accepted that we originated from Ile-Ife so we are Yoruba.

You can imagine, So in ur town you have two languages?
One Yoruboid the other Edoid??

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Ghost01(m): 2:59pm On Aug 13, 2014
macof:

You can imagine, So in ur town you have two languages?
One Yoruboid the other Edoid??
Man, you haven't been to Akoko? Each street in each town has its own distinct language.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by wenzie: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2015
Thanks Ghost01. The thing about Akoko is the fact that it is not just one town. It has numerous towns and 4 LGAs in Ondo state. Towns that speak what most yoruba speakers will understand include Ikare-Akoko (that's what I meant by yoruba dialect) . Places like my town (Ipe-Akoko) speak a dialect which some Edo people can relate with. So I was not referring to just 1 town macof.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by bokohalal(m): 9:13pm On Aug 13, 2015
tpia5:
According to the monarch, Ogiame has to do with the sea.

therefore its not implausible to assume the "ami" is actually a version of "omi" meaning water.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by bokohalal(m): 9:14pm On Aug 13, 2015
tpia5:
itsekiri is a yoruboid language, so its not far fetched to assume the ame stands for omi, we already know it means sea.

the ogie is open to interpretation but i have the idea.

if, however, you feel the title is wholly edo, then that's that.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by tpiah2: 9:38pm On Aug 13, 2015
I still don't get your point.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Adesmart01(m): 5:38am On Aug 20, 2015
My name is comr. Prince John Olusola Adejube Temitope from Oyegbata royal family of odokoli in Iba Ipe akoko Ondo state Nigeria. We speak different language in Akoko just as Akoko Edo do but speak yoruba as d general language

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
An old thread but I should add this quickly:

Ancient Benin/Edo used Oghiso, not Oba.

Prior to Oduduwa, Ife (Yoruba) had several hamlets all headed by Kings. The lineage of these kings are still in existance and these kings still play the role of controlling their hamlets with Ooni being the overall head thereby reducing them to what seems like 'Chief-King' status.

Some of these kings before Oranmiyan was born or even went to set up Oba Benin in Benin Empire were: Obalufe, Obawinrin, Obalaaye, Obatala, Obadio, Obaloran, Obajio, Obalurin, Obanurin, Obalale, Obalesun, Obalejugbe, Obalepon the list is long, I'll stop here.

From the above, tell me how 'Oba' which means 'the person overseeing, sitting, lording over everything' is a Benin word again and how Yoruba borrowed it and used it for many centuries before Oranmiyan went to give Benin 'Oba of Benin' dynasty.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by macof(m): 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2015
9jacrip:
An old thread but I should add this quickly:

Ancient Benin/Edo used Oghiso, not Oba.

Prior to Oduduwa, Ife (Yoruba) had several hamlets all headed by Kings. The lineage of these kings are still in existance and these kings still play the role of controlling their hamlets with Ooni being the overall head thereby reducing them to what seems like 'Chief-King' status.

Some of these kings before Oranmiyan was born or even went to set up Oba Benin in Benin Empire were: Obalufe, Obawinrin, Obalaaye, Obatala, Obadio, Obaloran, Obajio, Obalurin, Obanurin, Obalale, Obalesun, Obalejugbe, Obalepon the list is long, I'll stop here.

From the above, tell me how 'Oba' which means 'the person overseeing, sitting, lording over everything' is a Benin word again and how Yoruba borrowed it and used it for many centuries before Oranmiyan went to give Benin 'Oba of Benin' dynasty.

I know the rest but not Obalurin, Obanurin and Obalepon
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by GooseBaba: 9:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
macof:

Obalepon... Does it mean how it sounds... undecided grin
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
macof:

Oba of some ekus in Ile Olorisa.

Oba as a term is a title for chiefs controlling certain geographical spaces.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by scholes0(m): 5:17am On Feb 14, 2016
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Adesmart01(m): 11:43am On Apr 01, 2017
Adejube John Smart Olusola HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF IPE AKOKO Ipe Akoko The story my grandmother told me, she was from the family of Apata in Iba from Ipe Akoko She who is name Late Madam Grace Apata aka: Asumahu was the only surviving daughter of her mother who died last and d oldst . Her mother gave birth seventeen times; she had other step brothers and sisters. She however married to a royal family from Ipe Akoko, a village of about six miles to Isua and Epinmi. She lived in Ipe main town iba town with her husband name Alfa saliu Adejube; they told me little on how we get to ipe main settlement Grandmother’s story as explained by her Husband goes thus........... .......... Ipe people fought many wars in the past, in fact it was told that Ipe people never eat monkey because they believe, they have a tie with monkeys. In those days, according to the story whenever they went to war the monkeys turned out to help in defeating their enemies. And if you asked any senior citizen in Ipe, he/she will corroborate this, much cannot be said about the younger generation, it seems history is fading away that is why one needs to preserve the history at least for the next generations to come. The monkeys used their tails to hold the local guns, which turn to a stick of broom; the enemies would only see monkeys and not the people. I do not know how true this story was but I want to believe that the people themselves turned to monkeys to protect themselves from the enemies. Till today they still refers to monkeys as their kin The first crowned king of Ipe Akoko was Ajagbi, he was betrayed by his own people when he led them to war as a result of this, he cursed the Ipe peoples that never will they have a king with crown after the statement he sank into the ground with the crown in his head. Water flows out at the exact place where he entered into the ground. Up till today the water is still flowing and it was named Owii. River Owii becomes a sacrilege, it becomes a goddess rivers. Thereafter, another older man became the king in Ipe Akoko he only ruled for six years before he became sick and died. After a year, Obaya became the king, he ruled for many years and one of his two sons was destiny to become the king after him. Again, it was told that lion ran into the house and ran out during the birth of Job the first son born to the king; well what this connotes could not be ascertained. However, the grandfather was made to leave the palace because he committed taboo, he saw the person under masquerade and reveal the secret which was an abominable act to Ipe People, the king was asked to produced his prince for sacrifice. The queen who came from the lineage of Apata, for fear of what the villagers might do to the royal prince she therefore took the prince to her family with the queen’s royal stool. Because the prince cannot be trained outside the royal house, it is forbidden. That marked the beginning of power shift. He stayed with queen’s family until, he turned seventeen he left home for Ondo town and became a steward inside one of the Portuguese ship. He worked and travelled with them until he saved enough to start his own business. His line of business was in building materials, in fact his house was the first house built with roofing sheets in Ipe village. For many years Ipe village remained without having a king, however, king emerged from Apata family of recent, to rule Ipe people. It must be told that history will keep repeating itself as Apata lineage is also entitled to the throne, but nobody could denied it that the queen’s royal stool was taken into Apata house hold to train the prince there. The story still stand today that the queen came from Apata lineage, the Yoruba people believe that if your father house rejects you, your mother house will never denied you. Thanks to dis lovly mum who is now late, who died early 2013 and the final outing is jan 2 2014 brings al is great grand son together to eliten them on history and many more mama sunre o madam Grace Adejube eyitiwon baje lorun ni oma ba won je... Ma gborun soo run ire ooo..

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Adesmart01(m): 11:46am On Apr 01, 2017
eziza:

1) Oranmiyan did not reign in Benin. 2) Edo Kings are not Yoruba.
ipe akoko Adejube John Smart Olusola HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF IPE AKOKO Ipe Akoko The story my grandmother told me, she was from the family of Apata in Iba from Ipe Akoko She who is name Late Madam Grace Apata aka: Asumahu was the only surviving daughter of her mother who died last and d oldst . Her mother gave birth seventeen times; she had other step brothers and sisters. She however married to a royal family from Ipe Akoko, a village of about six miles to Isua and Epinmi. She lived in Ipe main town iba town with her husband name Alfa saliu Adejube; they told me little on how we get to ipe main settlement Grandmother’s story as explained by her Husband goes thus........... .......... Ipe people fought many wars in the past, in fact it was told that Ipe people never eat monkey because they believe, they have a tie with monkeys. In those days, according to the story whenever they went to war the monkeys turned out to help in defeating their enemies. And if you asked any senior citizen in Ipe, he/she will corroborate this, much cannot be said about the younger generation, it seems history is fading away that is why one needs to preserve the history at least for the next generations to come. The monkeys used their tails to hold the local guns, which turn to a stick of broom; the enemies would only see monkeys and not the people. I do not know how true this story was but I want to believe that the people themselves turned to monkeys to protect themselves from the enemies. Till today they still refers to monkeys as their kin The first crowned king of Ipe Akoko was Ajagbi, he was betrayed by his own people when he led them to war as a result of this, he cursed the Ipe peoples that never will they have a king with crown after the statement he sank into the ground with the crown in his head. Water flows out at the exact place where he entered into the ground. Up till today the water is still flowing and it was named Owii. River Owii becomes a sacrilege, it becomes a goddess rivers. Thereafter, another older man became the king in Ipe Akoko he only ruled for six years before he became sick and died. After a year, Obaya became the king, he ruled for many years and one of his two sons was destiny to become the king after him. Again, it was told that lion ran into the house and ran out during the birth of Job the first son born to the king; well what this connotes could not be ascertained. However, the grandfather was made to leave the palace because he committed taboo, he saw the person under masquerade and reveal the secret which was an abominable act to Ipe People, the king was asked to produced his prince for sacrifice. The queen who came from the lineage of Apata, for fear of what the villagers might do to the royal prince she therefore took the prince to her family with the queen’s royal stool. Because the prince cannot be trained outside the royal house, it is forbidden. That marked the beginning of power shift. He stayed with queen’s family until, he turned seventeen he left home for Ondo town and became a steward inside one of the Portuguese ship. He worked and travelled with them until he saved enough to start his own business. His line of business was in building materials, in fact his house was the first house built with roofing sheets in Ipe village. For many years Ipe village remained without having a king, however, king emerged from Apata family of recent, to rule Ipe people. It must be told that history will keep repeating itself as Apata lineage is also entitled to the throne, but nobody could denied it that the queen’s royal stool was taken into Apata house hold to train the prince there. The story still stand today that the queen came from Apata lineage, the Yoruba people believe that if your father house rejects you, your mother house will never denied you. Thanks to dis lovly mum who is now late, who died early 2013 and the final outing is jan 2 2014 brings al is great grand son together to eliten them on history and many more mama sunre o madam Grace Adejube eyitiwon baje lorun ni oma ba won je... Ma gborun soo run ire ooo..
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Obalufon: 1:03am On May 07, 2018
PhysicsQED:
^

Iyoba is "Iye-Oba." Iye is the Edo word for mother - there isn't some other word for mother in the Edo ('Bini') language. 'Omo' is used by most - if not all - of the groups that speak 'Edoid' languages - Etsako, Urhobo, Isoko, Engenni, Degema, etc. Not sure why you thought it was exclusively Yoruba.

What does 'osa' mean in Yoruba? Just wondering.

Osa is archaic Yoruba word Osa oni pu Osa ele'eiye Osa meji...it could be God ... OSA is also lagoon in Yoruba
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by davidnazee: 8:04pm On May 07, 2018
Adesmart01:
My name is comr. Prince John Olusola Adejube Temitope from Oyegbata royal family of odokoli in Iba Ipe akoko Ondo state Nigeria. We speak different language in Akoko just as Akoko Edo do but speak yoruba as d general language

Are your ancestors Yoruba or Edo?
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Emilokoiyawon: 3:56am On May 08, 2018
One dumb person on this thread said Oba is not a Yoruba word. I am laughing in Chinese. Please stop exposing your ignorance in public. Keep it very very private.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by UGBE634: 3:58pm On Jun 28, 2021

Ogiso was not an Edo word. matter of fact Ogiso is still used today. OGISO is an Ijaw word meaning sky God.. Ogina so is the right way.. Ogina and so meaning natural god of the sky. This word is still used by the Ijaws especially Ijaws of the east. Every clan of the eastern Ijaw claim their ancestors came from Benin as Ijaws and not as Edos... THERE IS NO traditional ruler in Yoruba land that has the OBA title except Eko and Badagry where the Edos introduced it.. There is not other way of saying OBA of Benin just as you would say AWUJALE of Ijebu or Ooni Of Ife. Oba is the title of the Benin ruler.
Are you surprised? many of your clans are edoid linguistically, Ogiso is an Edo word and it literally means king of sky. The root word for king in Edo is Ogie, similar ones Among Edoid groups are Ovie, ojie, oje and so on. Ogie is the Benin word for king just like the Olu of warri bears Ogiame because of the link to Benin, there Is Ogieamien too, and there are several Enogie scattered all over Edo south. OGIE-KING,ISO-SKY hence the term Ogiso meaning the sky king. It is literal and every Edo man can interpret it without batting an eyelid,OGISO is pure Edo word unadulterated

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by food4tot: 7:59pm On Jun 28, 2021
old thread, pardon me for waking it up

Osa(o'sa) is an abbreviation of orisha. It means a god.
I believe the 'O' is from the Yoruba word 'Ori' which means head.
Your head is also your destiny. That is why the ancients use orisha to set their destiny.

Someone here said 'Osa' means sea. This is also correct but the pronunciation is different. The 's' sound in this case is as in snake. On the other o'sa, the 's' is like in shake.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by Naughtysex: 7:03am On Jun 29, 2021
aljharem:
igodo is a word among aworis and egun

Ere means a statues or success

Orire means seeing success

It is clear that the bini ogiso were yorubas until odia
That those words means something in Yoruba doesn't mean they belong to Yorubas

Then you might as well claim that these Igbo words were also borrowed from Yorubas

IMI (Nose)
ÒNU (mouth)
IWE (anger) but Yorubas call "iwe" book
mind you, IWE is not an ancient word for Yorubas (it was formed along the line but it has been existing in Igbo language right from the beginning

my point is, don't think all word that sounds Yoruba belongs to Yoruba
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by food4tot: 10:26am On Jun 29, 2021
Naughtysex:

Then you might as well claim that these Igbo words were also borrowed from Yorubas

IMI (Nose)
ÒNU (mouth)
mind you, IWE is not an ancient word for Yorubas (it was formed along the line but it has been existing in Igbo language right from the beginning

You don't have proof regarding the usage of words in ancient times. Don't start making things up. grin grin

Jokes aside, the origin of the Yoruba word IWE is not necessarily the same as it's meaning. I believe the origin of IWE has to do with LEAF or WRAP.
Now the word also means book.

I'm not faulting your point though.

I agree with you, people shouldn't get hung up on written words, the pronunciations, meanings or origins are more important.
Re: Who Are The Akoko Of Northern Ondo State? by aljharem(m): 10:59pm On Jun 30, 2021
Naughtysex:

IMI (Nose)
ÒNU (mouth)

Imi, Imu (Yoruba)
Onu, Enu (Yoruba)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Local Mother Tongues That Have Gone Extinct / Arnado Debbo: Adamawa Community Where Only Women Can Rule (photo) / Nigeria's Pidgin English Dictionary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.