Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names (16092 Views)

A Tribute To The Beautiful Itsekiris Of The Niger Delta / Early History Of The Niger-congo Speakers (igbo, Yoruba, Fulani, Mande, Etc) / The Niger Delta In The 19th Century (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 2:43am On Sep 11, 2012
Port Harcourt - , the guy Port Harcourt is named after has absolutely nothing to do with the betterment or welfare of the people who inhabited and still inhabit the area. Apart from this name being a European supremacist imposition, the man it is named after has a mucky and controversial story behind him that I will allow you to research for yourself, which includes tales of perversion, rape, and ultimately suicide. Is this what you want yoru city to named forever?

Lagos - Eko, now this one doesn't seem much of a priority or the name seems to be appropriate seeing as it is centuries old, and Lagos, after all, was a colony, but it's still a case that should be mentioned and decided. Just do it.

Benin City - Benin or Ubinu. It's only 100 years ago guys!

Onitsha - Onicha - Onica - there is less of an issue on the naming as there is the spelling. Why do people especially in West Africa just take things from Europeans as sacred? Why keep an outdated spelling of one of the most important cities of you country? what purpose does it serve to spell Onicha as Onitsha and have the nerve to tell those that spell it onicha that they are illiterate?

Asaba - Ahaba, again, another case of Europeans shitting and Nigerians storing it in a cooler.

Abakiliki - Abakeleke - dumb, dumb, dumb, just dumb. There are no words that can describe this type of subtle display of inferiority.

Owerri - what the **** do you think it should be?

Awka - Aw esome example of backwardness.

Anything in igboland that uses the letters AW instead of O for Ogu.

Nsukka - Nsuka, I've never heard an Igbo word like Nsuk, that mus be Efik.

Bonny - Ubani, come and fight me nau!

I really do believe these names haven't changed because Nigerians find them sexy.

Anymore suggestions?

3 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by tpia5: 2:47am On Sep 11, 2012
do you need to see your madam?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 2:48am On Sep 11, 2012
How did I know you'd say something without value when I said you watching?

Anyway, any suggestions?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by tpia5: 4:04am On Sep 11, 2012
no, just browsing.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by PhysicsQED(m): 4:28am On Sep 11, 2012
I don't understand the Benin city example. Benin and Ubini are probably exonyms, but since they are recognized/acknowledged by the actual Edo people, it's not something that really is in need of changing in my opinion. If we don't have a problem with using the name and nobody else does, I don't think there's really a problem there.

Also, what are you saying about the names Owerri and Nsukka? What's the problem there exactly?

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by odumchi: 4:54am On Sep 11, 2012
PhysicsQED:
Also, what are you saying about the names Owerri and Nsukka? What's the problem there exactly?

He's referring to having them changed to their Igbo spellings. In the Igbo language, for the most part, things are spelled exactly the way they sound. For example, Owerri would be 'Owere' and Nsukka would be 'Nsuka'.

Ezeagu, I think there's a need for change also, but that would definitely require a large amount of resources.

Here are some more places that need to be changed:

Enugu to 'Enugwu'
Igbanke to 'Igbo-Akiri'
Igbuzor to 'Igbo-Uzọ'
Anambra to 'Ọmambala'
Orlu to 'Ọlu'
Ogwashi Uku to 'Ọgwashi Ukwu'
And possibly Arochukwu to 'Aruchukwu'

4 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by PhysicsQED(m): 5:40am On Sep 11, 2012
Not that it's relevant to the thread, but it seems Igbanke has always been called Igbanke. This "Igbo-Akiri" stuff seems to have come about because of the drive to get them to join other Igbos in Delta state and leave Edo state. However, if the Igbanke people themselves corrupted "Igbo-Akiri" to "Igbanke" at some remote time in precolonial history, then people/scholars have failed to record that in official publications. But the point is that there's nothing to suggest that it's some sort of colonial corruption/misspelling or something.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ezeagu(m): 8:00am On Sep 11, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't understand the Benin city example. Benin and Ubini are probably exonyms, but since they are recognized/acknowledged by the actual Edo people, it's not something that really is in need of changing in my opinion. If we don't have a problem with using the name and nobody else does, I don't think there's really a problem there.

Benin City to just Benin. Owere being spelt Owerri not only makes no sense since people pronounce it as Owere, but ignores the changes in orthography since 100 years ago.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by greall1: 11:43am On Sep 11, 2012
Abeg next topic.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Afam4eva(m): 11:44am On Sep 11, 2012
I really don't think it's necessary except for a few of them.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by ifyalways(f): 11:45am On Sep 11, 2012
Much ado about nothing,IMO.

We should then be ready to change nearly the whole cities as most of the city names are corrupted.and that includes Nigeria.

Naijiria. . .Igbo man.
Nayeria. . .Hausa man.
Naijeria. . . Yoruba man.

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by lafile(m): 11:47am On Sep 11, 2012
Supported.
Same reason the Indians changed 'Bombay' to 'Mumbai' and 'Calcutta' to 'Kolkatta'.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 11, 2012
Owerri to Owere
Awka to Oka
Onitsha to Onicha
Lagos to eko
Portharcourt and Asaba should remain the same...

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Nobody: 11:48am On Sep 11, 2012
Front page don dey turn showcase. It attracts you to the shop, but you have to go in(a section) to get things of value.... smh..

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. This is simply putting the cart before the horse. When our people are enlightened enough, things will change.
I mean our president is called GOODLUCK JONATHAN, his wife is PATIENCE, and then there's DAVID MARK... should they all change their names too?

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Afam4eva(m): 11:48am On Sep 11, 2012
lafile: Supported.
Same reason the Indians changed 'Bombay' to 'Mumbai' and 'Calcutta' to 'Kolkatta'.
But till date the former names are still being used.

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by dontador(m): 11:49am On Sep 11, 2012
ifyalways: Much ado about nothing,IMO.

We should then be ready to change nearly the whole city as most of the city names are corrupted.and that includes Nigeria.

Naijiria. . .Igbo man.
Nayeria. . .Hausa man.
Naijeria. . . Yoruba man.

Hahahaha nice point... Uche gi di ya...
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Super1759: 11:52am On Sep 11, 2012
@OPS, when last did you change your surname?
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by dridowu: 11:53am On Sep 11, 2012
This post has been hidden

2 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by heed101(m): 11:54am On Sep 11, 2012
Can't believe I opened this s h i t. So annoying and coupled with the fact that I ate beans this morning. GusHhhhhh

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by DANILSA(m): 11:56am On Sep 11, 2012
I think op is simply jobless. What u just typed makes no meaning considering the meaning of a name.
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by BlackBaron: 11:57am On Sep 11, 2012
Lekki maybe - Most don't know it was named after a Portugese slave trader called Mr. Lecqi.

Some may disagree...
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Chanchit: 12:01pm On Sep 11, 2012
#yawns#
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by MzFancy(f): 12:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
OK
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by tutypad: 12:04pm On Sep 11, 2012
imagine Umuokoro in Portharcourt called Rumukurushi, Rumuogba to Umuogba, etc Rumu, Rumu stuff. from Obigbo to Oyinbo Shame! Shame!! but the Ikweres are Ibos etc wake up you cant run away from your shadow. Even the present Labour Minister called Nwogu is mispelt Wogu!
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by seedord247(m): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2012
Forgive me lord for clicking on this thread. shocked

1 Like

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Leobreezy(m): 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
Changing d names of towns won't ameliorate living conditions there, so whats the essence??

2 Likes

Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by cheks22(m): 12:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
Ezeagu to Eziagu
Re: Renaming The Niger Area: Top Priority Place That Should Change Names by Temismith(f): 12:11pm On Sep 11, 2012
Speechless

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ifa Council Suspends Isese Festival In Ilorin / Easy Ways To Attract Positive Things To Yourself Amid Harsh Condition Of Nigeria / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.