Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Dos And Don'ts On A First Date - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dos And Don'ts On A First Date (18726 Views)

The DOS And DONTS On A First Date... / 10 To-dos For A Healthy Relationship In 2013 / Long Distance Relationship - Advice On Dos And Don'ts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by oemmanuel: 6:30am On Sep 13, 2012
Having said all these, how long can a date be? 30minutes, 1hour, 5hours?
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by DExplorer1: 6:43am On Sep 13, 2012
12 inches!:

It's abnormal to take ethics and codes hook line and sinker without ur own self analysis. How does leaving pieces of meat and dodo and grains of rice on ur plate show finesse or etiquette. Rather to me it shows wastefulness and a flagrant behavior. Have u seen white pple when they eat at their dinners? They always serve in excess but nigerian culture (or atleast yoruba culture) dictates that we do not waste food especially considering those who have none.
It's a general assumption that a clean plate means you're hungry. Infact in most cases you will be asked if you need more food. Get that straight and stop given waste principles.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 13, 2012
kunle.t.ade:
Is it ok if you give a girl monmey to go and order anything she want and other anytin for you also on the first date, coy I have done it once and lady gave me a look that simple mean you are arrogant. Is this a bad idea or a good one
jst as u love to be served,she deservd to be served 2..ordering hers sounds ok 2 me,bt ordering 4 urs 2 sounds selfish and bossy...a frnd of mine ended her relationshp cos her bf was alwayz doing dat,he didnt belv in serving a lady,while she belvs in being treatd as a queen,cos dats d way she was brought up.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by chukwukezie(m): 7:14am On Sep 13, 2012
if u dnt keep your hands to urself, where will it hv to b?
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Cupidkc(m): 7:48am On Sep 13, 2012
The best thing to do on a first date is to be a "gentle man"...or try to be one even if you're not.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Psaalmuel(m): 7:57am On Sep 13, 2012
B strict,no mater wat cms out of d date,either negative or positive...Learn 2 say thank you!
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by RuuDie(m): 8:26am On Sep 13, 2012
pearl~hapi:
Be confident,smart and not boring[how I hate timid pepo]crack jokes and make him or her laugh!I repeat don't be boring

How boring or lively a person can be is sometimes depends on the other person they're conversing with - will you just sit there and stare like a blackboard waiting to be entertained by a comedian or contribute your quota to making the date lively!?

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 13, 2012
toygod2: REMEMBER TO COMB UR HAIR BFO U LEAVE UR HOUSE wink
grin
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 13, 2012
Do NOT borrow a friend's shirt or Jean to meet a lady, cos she might like them on you and demand you wearing it some other day. wink
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Cuddlemii: 8:55am On Sep 13, 2012
1. Don’t have se-x on the first date.
Men loose interest easily if they tap that, nothing to wait around for.
It also means you are a cheerful giver so only God knows how many guys you offer it to.

2. Make sure your first date is at a neutral place and not anyone’s crib/house

3. Don’t arrive too early or before the guy. Arrive on time or slightly late(maybe 5 mins)

4. Don’t talk too much because men make use of the vital info you give and sometimes use it to their advantage. It’s better for you to be unpredictable and keep him in suspense.
Don’t start talking about how your ex used you, dumped you bla bla bla. Men are smart; don’t give them more leverage to use you.

5. Be yourself, be composed and don't show off. You don't need to sing along to all songs playing at the background or start chewing your mouth and mumbling/humming nonsense (not following the words of the song) all in the bid to show you are what's up babe. Don't chew gum like a roadside girl.

6. Maintain eye contact so he knows you are confident and bold. That way, he would know that the “look in to my eyes trick” won’t get you dropping down your pants or allow him have his way in the future.

7. Ask intelligent questions. First dates are good times to know a guy because guys are fond of not telling anything but keep the questions brief you don’t want to scare him off!

8. When you order don’t raid/rob the whole restaurant by purchasing everything like a hungry girl. Don’t ask for take away for your family and friends if you need to, pay for the take away yourself.

9. Don’t over dress. If you don’t know where he is taking you to or what happens there, it’s always safe to wear a pair of jeans as it can fit into almost anywhere. Don’t wear a ball room gown and people start looking at you at eatery as Cinderella visits Nigeria

9. Make sure you leave on time. Some babes can spend 20 hrs gisting on a date like they are jobless. Let the guy know you have a life and have errands to run. So it won’t look like you don’t go on dates often or you don tey for rack without an admirer.

10. When he is about to pay for the bill, offer to assist, just form by bringing out your purse and ask “you sure you can handle it all by yourself, do you want me to chip in, we both know naija economy is not easy na” Obviously you just did that to fulfil all righteousness, you were not going to pay.

11. Always go out on a date with your own money in case things go wrong and the guy abandons you in the restaurant and escapes through the toilet or just incase a fight ensued like he insist on sleeping with you for the money he spent. Guys can be ill mannered; they can drive you to an hotel to pay back what they spent. Anything can happen so you don’t end up washing plates or stranded on the street.

12. Always say, "thank you" even if it was gala he took you to eat. Always sound appreciative!

3 Likes

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 13, 2012
Cuddlemii: 1. Don’t have se-x on the first date.
It also means you are a cheerful giver so only God knows how many guys you offer it to.

3. Don’t arrive too early or before the guy. Arrive on time or slightly late(maybe 5 mins)

4. Don’t talk too much because men make use of the vital info you give and sometimes use it to their advantage. It’s better for you to be unpredictable and keep him in suspense.
Don’t start talking about how your ex used you, dumped you bla bla bla. Men are smart; don’t give them more leverage to use you.

5. Be yourself, be composed and don't show off. You don't need to sing along to all songs playing at the background or start chewing your mouth and mumbling/humming nonsense (not following the words of the song) all in the bid to show you are what's up babe. Don't chew gum like a roadside girl.

6. Maintain eye contact so he knows you are confident and bold. That way, he would know that the “look in to my eyes trick” won’t get you dropping down your pants or allow him have his way in the future.

7. Ask intelligent questions. First dates are good times to know a guy because guys are fond of not telling anything but keep the questions brief you don’t want to scare him off!

8. When you order don’t raid/rob the whole restaurant by purchasing everything like a hungry girl. Don’t ask for take away for your family and friends if you need to, pay for the take away yourself.

9. Don’t over dress. If you don’t know where he is taking you to or what happens there, it’s always safe to wear a pair of jeans as it can fit into almost anywhere. Don’t wear a ball room gown and people start looking at you at eatery as Cinderella visits Nigeria

9. Make sure you leave on time. Some babes can spend 20 hrs gisting on a date like they are jobless. Let the guy know you have a life and have errands to run. So it won’t look like you don’t go on dates often or you don tey for rack without an admirer.

10. When he is about to pay for the bill, offer to assist, just form by bringing out your purse and ask “you sure you can handle it all by yourself, do you want me to chip in, we both know naija economy is not easy na” Obviously you just did that to fulfil all righteousness, you were not going to pay.

11. Always go out on a date with your own money in case things go wrong and the guy abandons you in the restaurant and escapes through the toilet or just incase a fight ensued like he insist on sleeping with you for the money he spent. Guys can be ill mannered; they can drive you to an hotel to pay back what they spent. Anything can happen so you don’t end up washing plates or stranded on the street.

12. Always say, "thank you" even if it was gala he took you to eat. Always sound appreciative!
this is good
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 13, 2012
4reigningqueen: dont keep looking at her breast eventhough you are tempted to .

even if she comes dressed like this:

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by ADEBAYOUR05(m): 9:23am On Sep 13, 2012
Whu carez! If u like date me if u like dn't. I wil neva stop 4 a sec. 2 enjoy ma lyf just to show u dat am gud.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 13, 2012
Cuddlemii: 1. Don’t have se-x on the first date.

I disagree with the 'bolded' .

As far as the guy was the one who initiated the date, never offer to pay on the first date, except of course you want to get something extra for yourself to take home, or something.

As far as am concerned, i don't prescribe even eating on a first date, a drink will do, except in some cases, but even then it should not be heavy.

Even if you do eat on a first date, eat lightly.
Only offer to pay if you truly mean it and i do not think it should be on a first date.

My opinion though!

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 13, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

even if she comes dressed like this:

the way a girl dresses on a first date matters a lot

If i were a guy, i think it would matter to me the way a girl dresses on a first date, and the way you come, is the way i would take you.

If am a guy, any girl that comes for a lunch or dinner date like this,even if i had good intentions before, i will just do hit and run (if am that kind of person)or cut off ties with you.

No offense ladies!
grin
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by kavey10(m): 9:37am On Sep 13, 2012
@Cuddlemii, U ar a bi.arch! A stoopid 1 for dat mata. WTF is al dat crap u typed? Girls lyk u ruin d good guyz av 2 show 2 ur kind. Damn u!

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 13, 2012
AmBeautiful:
the way a girl dresses on a first date matters a lot

If i were a guy, i think it would matter to me the way a girl dresses on a first date, and the way you come, is the way i would take you.

If am a guy, any girl that comes for a lunch or dinner date like this,even if i had good intentions before, i will just do hit and run (if am that kind of person)or cut off ties with you.

No offense ladies!
grin

the way a girl dresses on the first AND last date matters.
sadly we all know that many women out there have lost the plot on what is SEXY, and are quick to flaunt their body outrageously, in order to "make an impression" (not knowing that they make the wrong impression). i mean, when there is not much about a lady BUT her body, then i understand why she is quick to flaunt it.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Cuddlemii: 9:40am On Sep 13, 2012
AmBeautiful:

I disagree with the 'bolded' .

As far as the guy was the one who initiated the date, never offer to pay on the first date, except of course you want to get something extra for yourself to take home, or something.

As far as am concerned, i don't prescribe even eating on a first date, a drink will do, except in some cases, but even then it should not be heavy.

Even if you do eat on a first date, eat lightly.
Only offer to pay if you truly mean it and i do not think it should be on a first date.

My opinion though!

Not offer to pay for everything but chip in.
Just checking to know his funds is sufficient.
Its a very clever strategy.
Obviously, you won't pay na but the fact that it even crossed your mind or you were even considerate to ask,
That guy would pamper you and take care of you.
True life story!!!

If the guy allows you to pay when you offer then you know there and then who you are dealing it
Its up to u to free him or continue with him
Its part of testing and getting to know his true colors too.

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Cuddlemii: 9:43am On Sep 13, 2012
kavey10: @Cuddlemii, U ar a bi.arch! A stoopid 1 for dat mata. WTF is al dat crap u typed? Girls lyk u ruin d good guyz av 2 show 2 ur kind. Damn u!

Are u ok?
What exactly do you find offensive in what I wrote?
Or is it because I said no se-x on the first date?
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by swiftguy1: 9:43am On Sep 13, 2012
Enough points to write a book. Mine goes this way, don't bite what you cant chew. Don't do stuff to impress her cos you will have to keep doing that (eating everything from Chinese to point-and-kill). It doesn't have to be expensive.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by kavey10(m): 9:50am On Sep 13, 2012
@Cuddlemii, ur 3, 4 nd 10 are disturbing!
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Pakavy(m): 9:54am On Sep 13, 2012
omega25red: Then you already know your role as a prosti-tute. so get your cash and make sure you work her azz
indulge me 4da pls,u seem 2 b a veteran at it
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Cuddlemii: 10:02am On Sep 13, 2012
kavey10: @Cuddlemii, ur 3, 4 nd 10 are disturbing!

Whats disturbing about them?
Explain!
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 13, 2012
I was about to ask why majority of the posters were only talking about how a guy should act on a first date then I read cuddlemii's post. Excellent. In fact nah to convert am to manual sure pass grin grin grin
More ways to form an opinion on a girl smiley
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2012
kavey10: @Cuddlemii, U ar a bi.arch! A stoopid 1 for dat mata. WTF is al dat crap u typed? Girls lyk u ruin d good guyz av 2 show 2 ur kind. Damn u!
Someone left the psychiatric hospital waaaay ahead of schedule. undecided undecided
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by kavey10(m): 10:12am On Sep 13, 2012
I see u lyk long tori, I aint gat tym 4 dat isht. No mata hw I explain(of whch I won't) u ar a bleeping gal so u won't undastand.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 13, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Not offer to pay for everything but chip in.
Just checking to know his funds is sufficient.
Its a very clever strategy.
Obviously, you won't pay na but the fact that it even crossed your mind or you were even considerate to ask,
That guy would pamper you and take care of you.
True life story!!!

If the guy allows you to pay when you offer then you know there and then who you are dealing it
Its up to u to free him or continue with him
Its part of testing and getting to know his true colors too.

My dear,
i still totally disagree.
Testing on a first date, is weird.
First date is a time for observation not testing.

I still say, never offer to pay especially on a first date
And especially when the guy initiated the date.

Instead stick to taking a drink or something light!
That's my take.

Am saying this because all guys are not the same.
It worked for that person in real life because the person you met a guy who liked the idea.
I know some guys who may not like this idea.

What if you offer to pay and the guy allows you pay?
Are you saying the guy is bad?
No he is not bad, HE TOO IS TESTING YOU NOW.

testing on the first date is not it,
observation is the key!

1 Like

Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by kavey10(m): 10:23am On Sep 13, 2012
@AmBeautiful, I totally support ur stance. Dnt mind dat Cuddlemii!
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 13, 2012
D-Explorer:

It's a general assumption that a clean plate means you're hungry. Infact in most cases you will be asked if you need more food. Get that straight and stop given waste principles.

So being hungry is now a crime now...Or shows u don't have etiquette.
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by mdbissalla(m): 10:37am On Sep 13, 2012
[quote author=AmBeautiful]

Why not?

What I meant is: no 'touchy-touchy' angry if you convert all the 'touchy-touchy' angry to dollars, you are hitting...
hahahahaha 'touchy-touchy' analyst
Re: Dos And Don'ts On A First Date by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 13, 2012
@Cuddlemi
your list is very dangerous o!!!!!! do you really believe the stuff you wrote?!

[b]1.Don’t have se-x on the first date.
why not?! not everyone is closed minded and insecure like that. if a woman is fully comfortable with her sexuality then why shouldnt she enjoys herself, if thats what they BOTH want to do?

in my world, even arriving 1min late is considered a lack of respect. people should ALWAYS arrive earlier to make sure that they dont make their date waiting. making anyone wait on a first date is WRONG on so many levels.

KAI!!!!!! there is nothing worst than a date who DOESNT talk, thats a sure date killer IMHO. the lady doesnt have to talk about her past r/ship, but she must take part in the date fully, in order for both of us to enjoy it, and not just one person.

5. Be yourself, be composed and don't show off.
again, the first date is very important, and although you shouldnt go overboard, you should DEFINITELY showcase some of your "qualities" (whatever they may be)..... no need to tone who you are in real life. if you like to sing then do so, and if you like to dance on your seat then do so....... it may actually make you look DIFFERENT than most.

6. Maintain eye contact so he knows you are confident and bold.
constantly staring at someone's eyes?! here is what i would think of such person: madness/crazy/on drugs/ plotting something etc lol!

9. Don’t over dress.
the simplest thing to do is to always ask where y'all are going so that you can dress accordingly.

9. Make sure you leave on time.
why so much faking?! if you guys have a great time together, then spend as much time as you can together. nothing worst than killing something good with pretence etc. there is nothing wrong in showing someone that you are actually liking this date.....and ladies, when you finally get home, let the guy know that you had a great time and enjoyed his company!!!!

BLASPHEMY!!!!! are you trying to start a NL war of the sexes?! these women are not willing to pay for shiit......and we all know that. a man who makes the mistake of asking a girl to pay for half, will automatically be branded STINGY!!!! as for pretending to do something that you do not want to do?! i think not![/b]

btw, any reason why you had #9 twice?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

“I Will Never Marry Or Date A Nigerian Woman Again!” / Birthday S£x (18+) / How Tall Is Too Tall?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.