Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:56 PM

Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? (17698 Views)

Can You Live In A House Built By Your Wife? / How To Live With a contentious woman / How Do You "Live" With An Adulterous Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by slimyem: 10:07pm On Sep 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

If your life is about "It is what it is", I bet you would not leave Nigeria at all. The idea is a mentality can be and should be changed for the betterment of the people. Yes the overwhelming majority believe that it is an achievement but in reality, or in Naira sense, it really is not.
I'm afraid what's more important to the average Nigerian at the end of the day is having something to call their own..which is most times a landed property/house no matter how much or how long it'll take to get there.
It is the next most realistic investment/achievement in these parts..apart from owning share capitals which has taken a downward spiral over the last few years.
The consolation is in the fact that no matter how bad it gets,they'll get by as long as they have a roof over their heads.

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by shemy: 10:08pm On Sep 12, 2012
[/color][color=#006600][b][/b][b][/b]My dear, it is better said than done, some of the contributors to this topic may not be able to accomodate such if in the same shoes but listen carefully to me. "A wise woman builds her own home" Men are different so comparing or expecting same character from them may put your marriage in trouble.The truth is that you made a mistake by accepting to stay together, your MIL may not think of scattering your marriage but she is a woman and every woman wants to protect what they have , either husband or son. The bible says a man should LEAVE his parents and CLEAVE to his Wife, there can be not Cleaving without leaving.
To safe the situation at handsadi)be humble and apologise to your hubby and try and win him back (ii) Always prepare his food when you come back from work and cultivate the habit of eating together no matter how late, let him realise you always wait for him for u guys to eat together (iii)Send text messages to him at his place of work asking him what he would like to eat when he comes back(iii)Speak the word of God concerning your marriage and take authority(iv)Love his people and do not see your MIL as your rival (v)On no account should you quarrel with him to the extent of involving third party - whosoever. LASTLY, REMEMBER YOUR MIL IS THE MOTHER AND CAN NEVER BE THE WIFE BUT U CAN BE THE WIFE AND THE MOTHER IF YOU PLAY YOUR ROLE WELL.[b]My dear, it is better said than done, some of the contributors to this topic may not be able to accomodate such if in the same shoess but listen carefully to me. a wise woman builds her own home. Men are different so comparing or expecting same character from them may put your marriage in trouble.The truth is that you made a mistake by accepting to stay together, your MIL may not think of scattering your marriage but she is a woman and every woman wants to protect what they have , either husband or son. The bible says a man should LEAVE his parents and CLEAVE to his Wife, there can be not Cleaving without leaving.
AND CAN NEVER BE THE WIFE BUT U CAN BE THE WIFE AND THE MOTHER IF YOU PLAY YOUR ROLE WELL
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On Sep 12, 2012
slimyem: I'm afraid what's more important to the average Nigerian at the end of the day is having something to call their own..which is most times a landed property/house no matter how much or how long it'll take to get there.
It is the next most realistic investment/achievement in these parts..apart from owning share capitals which has taken a downward spiral over the last few years.
The consolation is in the fact that no matter how bad it gets,they'll get by as long as they have a roof over their heads.

I have nowhere said that is not the case. If you even followed the conversation,you would see that. You have to take time to read BEFORE jumping down people's throats for no valid reason whatsoever.

What the discussion is on is that in reality(when you consider the facts) renting benefits Nigerians, and people should be made more aware of this. Having a home to call your own is no better than having a bank account filled with money, that should have gone to building a home, accruing interest instead, to call your own. There is the prevalent mentality which says that "owning a home to call your own is better", and then there is the factual reality which really does not agree with the prevalent mentality.

Now I do think housing/land is no more realistic an investment than putting money into a savings account somewhere, in much of Nigeria. Yes, there was the sharp increase in cost of land we experienced a couple of years ago, but I don't forsee that happening again anytime soon.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by kaboninc(m): 10:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
slimyem: I'm afraid what's more important to the average Nigerian at the end of the day is having something to call their own..which is most times a landed property/house no matter how much or how long it'll take to get there.
I just wonder how someone who's not in the country, does not have an idea of how our country operates, no idea of what drives our society, our norms, our values, our conditions, but yet concludes and passes judgement based on what he/she read on the internet or what few friends say to them. If yi don't know, pls come and find out.

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by reephat(f): 11:59pm On Sep 12, 2012
As for me  don't Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴͡ anything bad about her husband cooking for her, cos my own husband does d̶̲̥̅̊at too. Even more dan d̶̲̥̅̊at and d̶̲̥̅̊at does not stop me from respecting him or satisfying him, cos we ® 1 body. As for Your mother inlaw issue D̳̿ woman Ȋ̝̊̅§ not very nice @ least if she want τ̲̅ȍ give her son's food she's should also pack urs too, because Ɣ☺ΰ both ® her children S̤̥̈̊☺ why W̶̲̥̅̊ȋ̝̊̅̄ll she give 1 food and left D̳̿ other. S̤̥̈̊☺  think she must have been planting some evil thing I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ Your Man's heart ‎​‎ βε̲̣̣̣̥ careful and βε̲̣̣̣̥ prayer full God W̶̲̥̅̊ȋ̝̊̅̄ll Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴͡ Ɣ☺ΰ through.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by babseg(m): 12:22am On Sep 13, 2012
reephat: As for me  don't Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴͡ anything bad about her husband cooking for her, cos my own husband does d̶̲̥̅̊at too. Even more dan d̶̲̥̅̊at and d̶̲̥̅̊at does not stop me from respecting him or satisfying him, cos we ® 1 body. As for U̶̲̥̅̊r mother inlaw issue D̳̿ woman Ȋ̝̊̅§ not very nice @ least if she want τ̲̅ȍ give her son's food she's should also pack urs too, because Ɣ☺ΰ both ® her children S̤̥̈̊☺ why W̶̲̥̅̊ȋ̝̊̅̄ll she give 1 food and left D̳̿ other. S̤̥̈̊☺  think she must have been planting some evil thing I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ U̶̲̥̅̊r Man's heart ‎​‎ βε̲̣̣̣̥ careful and βε̲̣̣̣̥ prayer full God W̶̲̥̅̊ȋ̝̊̅̄ll Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴͡ Ɣ☺ΰ through.

you women have started. Planting what now. we are only listening to her side of the story. You dont even know may be she is the one chasing her husband to his mum. she should be happy that the person in question is not a sweet 16.

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 12:38am On Sep 13, 2012
In this life you wil also be a mother inlaw to your son wife so be very careful so not to sow wrong seed for your future. Be with her in wisdom and the way you wil love to be treated by your son's wife.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by passionate88: 2:41am On Sep 13, 2012
Ujujoan:

I just wonder why he changed AFTER his mom started living close-by.

Could it be that his mum has told him it's not right to cook for his wife? That is a huge possibility!

Besides giving him food when he has a fight with his wife is encouraging him to keep malice. A mother who means well shouldn't do that.
no food b like mama own... Whenever I travel out, if I didn't cook at home, I dnt eat outside except snacks... Sm ladies sabi yap their husbands bt wn time cm 2 explain wetin hapn dm go change mouth.. I jst tell am say no b so.. @OP b truthful u've said smtin 2 him abt his mum wn u two were shouting
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by passionate88: 3:04am On Sep 13, 2012
Ujujoan:

If the man was providing for the family like he should, then wifey won't have to take a job where she gets home by 8.00pm!

Sometimes, men should try and be realistic.
some women don't like to b a "kept" wife...
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 4:11am On Sep 13, 2012
kaboninc:
Me sef just dey wonder too. This cooking of a thing, this chore of a thing, since when did it become one's sole responsibility? Am just wondering. Still thinking. However, I believe that cooperation between the two partners can drive the union. I know of someone, a man, who finds pleasure in cooking for the house even when the wife is at home and sometimes, when the food is ready, you can hardly tell who made which.
Only poor, financially unproductive men cook for their wives becos they failed in the areas they are supposed to act as man, and hence rely on cooking and doing house chores as a way of pleasing their wives since they failed in their duty of fuLly providing for their family. So an MD of a company, a business tycoon or an industrialist, and the likes should be cooking for their wives and be performing house chores, abandoning their business responsibilities? Pls try and pray against poverty and lack so u can be man enough to provide for your family. Naturally, a man isn't meant to do those things, and a woman isn't meant to provide for the family, and in any home that a woman provides and the man does house chores n cook too, check well, that home lack peace and true happiness and the man isn't happy in that marriage. Men strive to get out of bachelorhood so they can have rest from performing house chores, cooking/eating outside, so when a wife can't do those things without expecting husband to assist, then there is no need for men getting married again.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 4:50am On Sep 13, 2012
. . . . No shocked
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Goldieluks: 4:54am On Sep 13, 2012
There is bound to be changes, since you've both decided to take that step. Your MIL has a good mind hence she provided a home for you and your hubby. But, her good might turn bad, if she advises her son to stop been the caring husband, thereby accepting him with open arms, whenever there is misunderstanding between you two. She should scold him instead and send him back to his wife. Not habouring and feeding him, he's no more a baby, but a man for Christ sakes.

However, the quicker you and your hubby finds a new place, the better. Pray he doesn't comes up with lazy excuses and procrastination.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by kaboninc(m): 5:52am On Sep 13, 2012
DailyNews: Only poor, financially unproductive men cook for their wives becos they failed in the areas they are supposed to act as man, and hence rely on cooking and doing house chores as a way of pleasing their wives since they failed in their duty of fuLly providing for their family. So an MD of a company, a business tycoon or an industrialist, and the likes should be cooking for their wives and be performing house chores, abandoning their business responsibilities? Pls try and pray against poverty and lack so u can be man enough to provide for your family. Naturally, a man isn't meant to do those things, and a woman isn't meant to provide for the family, and in any home that a woman provides and the man does house chores n cook too, check well, that home lack peace and true happiness and the man isn't happy in that marriage. Men strive to get out of bachelorhood so they can have rest from performing house chores, cooking/eating outside, so when a wife can't do those things without expecting husband to assist, then there is no need for men getting married again.
I do not agree with you on this. The man I talked about earns higher income than the spouse. Its possible that you can find 'househusbands' maybe due to the wife being the 'head' of the home as she brings in more pay. But also, if a man so wish to 'assist' his wife in the kitchen or with other house chores, I still do not think its out of place. There are men who derive joy in things like this even when the wife is healthy.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 13, 2012
I couldn't live with my mother-in-law.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 13, 2012
DailyNews: Only poor, financially unproductive men cook for their wives becos they failed in the areas they are supposed to act as man, and hence rely on cooking and doing house chores as a way of pleasing their wives since they failed in their duty of fuLly providing for their family. So an MD of a company, a business tycoon or an industrialist, and the likes should be cooking for their wives and be performing house chores, abandoning their business responsibilities? Pls try and pray against poverty and lack so u can be man enough to provide for your family. Naturally, a man isn't meant to do those things, and a woman isn't meant to provide for the family, and in any home that a woman provides and the man does house chores n cook too, check well, that home lack peace and true happiness and the man isn't happy in that marriage. Men strive to get out of bachelorhood so they can have rest from performing house chores, cooking/eating outside, so when a wife can't do those things without expecting husband to assist, then there is no need for men getting married again.

I totally disagree. I'm the high earner in my home, yet I still cook or do house chores when I feel my wife needs a break. She looks after our children, and believe me, looking after children is a full-time job, that is more demanding than the man earning a crust!

Saying a man who does chores around the house isn't happy is as ignorant as any statement can get. I presume you carried out a poll, and have stats to back up your claims?

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 13, 2012
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 13, 2012
passionate88: some women don't like to b a "kept" wife...

There's a difference b/w being not being 'kept' and working from morning till 8.30pm. I'm not a 'kept' woman, but I don;t work like that!
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by zegzyme(f): 9:21am On Sep 13, 2012
Flakeey: My family stays in the same building with my mother-in-law but different flat…
Due to expensive house rent in Lagos, mother-in-law advised that we moved in to the vacant flat and from there we can plan how to start something on our own land instead of wasting money on house rent. Despite all advise from friends and family not to stay in the same building with my in-laws I turned deaf ears to them and assured them my mother-in-law is a very nice woman, I shouldn’t have any problem with her and moreover, we won’t be staying in the same flat.

To be candid, I don’t have any problem with my in-laws but the problem is my hubby.
After we moved in, he gradually stopped doing some things he normally did before, like helping me with domestic chores, taking a walk with me in the evening during weekends. He helped with cooking anytime he gets home from work early but now, it has stopped…he would be in his mother’s flat waiting for me to come and do the cooking. I asked him twice why he doesn’t cook anymore whenever he comes home earlier than I do, he told me he has spoilt me and he wouldn’t want that to go on. We started arguing where we raised voices at each other and lots more.

Now, any little misunderstanding between us, he would stop eating my food and eat from his mother’s, sometimes he would even abandon me in our flat to play and be with his family.

My questions:
1. Am I wrong to have supported my hubby in staying with my mother-in-law?
2. Can you live in the same building with your mother-in-law or can you and your wife live with your parent?
3. in this kind of situation, what can/should I do?

Pls I need your advice

u ll jst ve to endure till u guys cn leav dt house.God ll gv u d courage u nid.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by megliz(f): 9:23am On Sep 13, 2012
debrief08: the only place I will fault her is giving him food instead of sending him home to eat
shouldd the man not eat from his mothers pot? I disagree with that. the woman in question is his mother and not an ordinary neighbour.the wife can also ask for food if she's too tired I'm sure she will not be denied. As long as she's not had problems with the inlawss still Maintain your self respect and pray for financial breakthrough so you can move to your own apartment.

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 13, 2012
Pls it's not encouraging to live wit MIL. Pls find ideas dat make thins work! Pls dnt miss eatin wit ur husband and dn't allow ur husband to avoid ur cookin so dat another will not feed him for you. because of ur schedule, ensure that you hav a microwave and any of these (pawpaw,pineapple,water melon,orange,banana etc) are available for him to keep body and soul together til u com back for the main menu, it works! Pls dnt ask him to cook, men are of different background. If u kip to these, u wil hav peace in ur marriage nd husband will be left wit no choice to change for the best... It's ur responsibility to make the marriage work.. All d best.

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by megxo(m): 9:38am On Sep 13, 2012
if she's lyk PATIENCE OZOKWOR in home video, DO NOT LIVE WIF HA cheesy
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Pleasantme: 10:08am On Sep 13, 2012
The fact is that evry MIL sees their DIL as a challenge while DILs percieve dem as a pain in d neck too!!! its prolli linked 2women n our complexities.
@Poster;U v 2do all u can 2b HAPPY cos life is short!don't compromise ur home cos of ur JOB,u shuldnt fail @work too else u quit.COOK for ur hubby n do it well (Proverbs 31)n strive 2b a role model 2ur children.Be diplomatic wit ur mother-inlaw BUT pls dnt take likely 2insults or unsolicited interference,cajole ur husband 2wards geting anoda place(not close by)as developing his piece of land may not be as soon as it seem.wot if tins get out of hand?Being out of sight of families(MIL,FIL,BIL,SIL,Aunty-inlaw,Uncle-inlaw,Friends-Inlaw n even Neighbours-Inlaw)wud do u both sum good...My dear,wishn u d BEST of the BESTMJust b smart n wise in all ur dealings!!!
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Pleasantme: 10:24am On Sep 13, 2012
Amidst d completity of dis inlaw issue I wud simply answer ur 3direct qstns;
My questions:
1. Am I wrong to have supported my hubby in staying with my mother-in-law?
2. Can you live in the same building with your mother-in-law or can you and your wife live with your parent?
3. in this kind of situation, what can/should I do?
My ANSWER;
1. YES
2. NO...av done sumtin similar,its NEVER pleasant(As my username,lol)
3. Check my previous post
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by yemiakinjoleya: 10:37am On Sep 13, 2012
see d best thing for u to regain ur husband is to pack out of that compound but if u fail to do ur husband wont come back to you, because ur mother -in - law av already give him some training on how to treat u and if u guys dont stay far to ur in law small time u ll need sometin n he ll first ask his mum b4 givin it to u
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by nagoma(m): 10:47am On Sep 13, 2012
Why do I find the family section extremely boring?

1 Like

Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Kobojunkie: 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2012
Pleasantme: The fact is that evry MIL sees their DIL as a challenge while DILs percieve dem as a pain in d neck too!!! its prolli linked 2women n our complexities.
This statement is not true. There are women out there who know to LET_GO when their children get married. What you have happening in Nigeria is NOT what you see happening everywhere so, please let's instead address the issue women have with letting go when it is time for them to, rather than try to paint woman across the world are brain-f**ked lunatics like we have with some women.

There are women who take this opportunity to finally start living their own lives . . . not sit back and look for ways to bring their children back into the house. There are some women who would refuse to rent any part of their property to their married kids so they can not get in the way of the couple in anyway. Those are MILs too.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by proudlyafrican(m): 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
From my experience it is not advisable to live with in-laws be it Mother,Brother,Sister or whoever,like someone said "good fences make good neighbors".The action of the husband no doubt was influenced by the Mother-in-law consciously or otherwise.In Africa,most old women between the age of 60 and above still see it as a taboo for their sons to partake in household work,the conclusion is either the wife has bewitched the son or the son is a weakling (woman wrapper)and so without even saying it the husband who has been assisting the wife before this time does not want to be called such names.The Husband needs to grow up and stand for what he believes will bring peace,love and happiness to his wife and child and not trying to impress his mother.I hate the African Alpha male belief ...
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Pleasantme: 3:37pm On Sep 16, 2012
Well FYI Kobojunkie,d poster is a Nigerian n lives in Nigeria(its mostly in dis part of d world such tinz apun)u tink if she were a whitey she wunt v filed for a divorce or sue d mother-inlaw to court.

U r either a man,single or non-Nigerian to tink my view is exaggerated in dis part of d world(evry1 is entitled to his/her opinion nd I jus stated mine)

In Nigeria,there's so much eyeservice/lipservice wen inlaw tins r concerned.Take it or u leave it; "once married ur former nuclear family becomes ur extended family whil ur wife n children NOw becomes ur nuclear family.
Btw...Wots ur point as regardz d posters questions n wot advice(s) did u profer
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by Kobojunkie: 3:01am On Sep 17, 2012
Pleasantme: Well FYI Kobojunkie,d poster is a Nigerian n lives in Nigeria(its mostly in dis part of d world such tinz apun)u tink if she were a whitey she wunt v filed for a divorce or sue d mother-inlaw to court.

U r either a man,single or non-Nigerian to tink my view is exaggerated in dis part of d world(evry1 is entitled to his/her opinion nd I jus stated mine)

In Nigeria,there's so much eyeservice/lipservice wen inlaw tins r concerned.Take it or u leave it; "once married ur former nuclear family becomes ur extended family whil ur wife n children NOw becomes ur nuclear family.
Btw...Wots ur point as regardz d posters questions n wot advice(s) did u profer

The MILS I spoke of, the ones you consider whiteys, live right there in that same Nigeria with this kind. Don't even attempt to attack me for getting you off your I-KNOW-AFRICA-MORE-THAN-YOU-BECAUSE-I-SAY-SO high there. I live that same Nigeria, even from my very bedroom here in America so stop thinking their is anything unique of life in Nigeria that I don't know of, probably before you sef.

There are wives who drew the line BEFORE the marriage happened, and essentially discouraged their MILs from trying to establish territory within their son's house. There are MILs who looked forward to the day their sons/daughters getting married so they could finally get to go pursue their own dreams. These people live in that same Nigeria and are living well today.

What people need to do is at least identify the common reasons for why these MILs/FILs come in to plant their tails in the marriage. My guess is the problem starts before the marriage. . .right about when the bride is occupied with trying to please everyone in the husband's family, and not taking time to ensure she establishes her place in the family, and draws the necessary lines, and essentially make it known that her marriage is HER OWN and not something that can be shared.
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by EfemenaXY: 12:12am On Sep 18, 2012
nitlad: That yhur understanding has a very strong tendency of inclining towards a 'ME AND MY HUSBAND ALONE' philosophy which isn't very healthy.

Really? Pray, do tell me what's unhealthy about it?
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by nitlad: 10:59pm On Sep 18, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Really? Pray, do tell me what's unhealthy about it?
Yhu do realise what yhur saying implies that the ONE and ONLY person yhur husband should care about is yhu and vice-versa and any other person should go and rot in hell?
Re: Can You Live With Your Mother-in-law? by EfemenaXY: 12:58am On Sep 19, 2012
^^ Really?

And where EXACTLY did I state that?

Go read through my post again. slowly this time. Then maybe, just maybe you'll comprehend it better without having to make silly inferences.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help: My Wife Altered Our Marriage Certificate (Picture) / FG Increases Maternity Leave To 4 Months / Two Day Old Baby Who Was Dumped In A Trash Can By Her Mother Rescued. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.