Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist (15649 Views)

A Comparison Between Jesus And Muhammad / Youths Set Baptist Church Ablaze In Kano (photo) / What Is The Connection Between Jesus And Zeus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 4:44pm On Sep 13, 2012
i asked this question on another thread but got no response so i decided to create a thread with the question.one crucial aspect in the entire story of jesus is john the baptist.it is generally believed that john was 6months older than john but my study of the bible reveals otherwise.
this isnt a christian bashing thread.i just want a meaningful discussion that would teach a lotta folks more about the bible.
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 6:27pm On Sep 13, 2012
Luke 1:24 (KJV) And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,
Luke 1:25 (KJV) Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.
Luke 1:26 (KJV) And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
Luke 1:27 (KJV) To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

6 months.
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by paris10: 6:39pm On Sep 13, 2012
I know this question is just like those asked of Jesus by the Pharisees. I know your heart and intention. You're one of those Islamic dude who read the bible and quote it out of context.

As long as you can tell and differentiate between Mohammed and Prophet Musa, then there shouldn't be any problem for you to differentiate between Jesus and John the baptist. Hypocrite!
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by CrazyMan(m): 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2012
Delafruita: i asked this question on another thread but got no response so i decided to create a thread with the question.one crucial aspect in the entire story of jesus is john the baptist.it is generally believed that john was 6months older than john but my study of the bible reveals otherwise.
this isnt a christian bashing thread.i just want a meaningful discussion that would teach a lotta folks more about the bible.
Oh! Now you guys want meaningful discussion. But when a christian asks you questions pertaining to atheism, you'll spend your time criticizing him and telling the whole world how ignorant and foolish his question sounds.

You just want christians waste their precious time to responding to your question so that you can ridicule and make jest of them...well I've got news for you...stop being lazy and open google to seek for your desired answers, you bloody hypocrite!

I think I'm beginning to understand why muslims ban you guys anytime you make an offensive post on the islamic section. Cos its very obvious that you're just out here to make fun of other peoples beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2012
paris10: I know this question is just like those asked of Jesus by the Pharisees. I know your heart and intention. You're one of those Islamic dude who read the bible and quote it out of context.

As long as you can tell and differentiate between Mohammed and Prophet Musa, then there shouldn't be any problem for you to differentiate between Jesus and John the baptist. Hypocrite!
as you can see from what crazyman wrote,your totally wrong to think am a muslim.
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 8:05pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039: Luke 1:24 (KJV) And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying,
Luke 1:25 (KJV) Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.
Luke 1:26 (KJV) And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
Luke 1:27 (KJV) To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

6 months.
you are wrong
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 8:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
CrazyMan:
Oh! Now you guys want meaningful discussion. But when a christian asks you questions pertaining to atheism, you'll spend your time criticizing him and telling the whole world how ignorant and foolish his question sounds.

You just want christians waste their precious time to responding to your question so that you can ridicule and make jest of them...well I've got news for you...stop being lazy and open google to seek for your desired answers, you bloody hypocrite!

I think I'm beginning to understand why muslims ban you guys anytime you make an offensive post on the islamic section. Cos its very obvious that you're just out here to make fun of other peoples beliefs.
if you werent so ignorant,you'd understand that am asking a simple question.you seem to take these discussions personal as if it makes you doubt your faith or you feel insulted on behalf of yeshwa and yahweh.
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 8:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Delafruita:
you are wrong
prove otherwise
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 8:42pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039:
prove otherwise
the bible says it was 12years
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 9:08pm On Sep 13, 2012
Delafruita:
the bible says it was 12years
show biblical reference
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 9:45pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039:
show biblical reference
read luke chapter 1.especially 1:80
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 10:01pm On Sep 13, 2012
Delafruita:

Luke 1:80 And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the desert until he appeared publicly to Israel.

It doesnt explain anything
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039:

Luke 1:80 And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the desert until he appeared publicly to Israel.

"appearing publicly unto isreal" is according to the law of moses which required that every male child of 13 years old has to appear at the temple.it was the rite of passage.jesus also did same.this shows that john was already 13years old before jesus was born
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by danwo: 10:59pm On Sep 13, 2012
Delafruita:

k2039:

^^^^

ROTFL grin grin grin

It does apparently

Delafruita:

"appearing publicly unto isreal"

is according to the law of moses which required that every male child of 13 years old has to appear at the temple.

it was the rite of passage.

jesus also did same.this shows that john was already 13years old before jesus was born

@Delafruita

Luke 1 was a narration about John (i.e. from womb/birth up to age 13/desert with a bit mention of Jesus)

Luke 2 is the narration of Jesus(i.e. from birth up to age 13/temple)

Short becoming a "Far-to-see" turning into a "Sad-to-see read scripture in context

Text not read in context, is verse read in pretense

1 Like

Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2012
danwo:

^^^^

ROTFL grin grin grin

It does apparently

@Delafruita

Luke 1 was a narration about John (i.e. from womb/birth up to age 13/desert with a bit mention of Jesus )

Luke 2 is the narration of Jesus' birth (i.e. from womb/birth up to age 13/temple)

Short becoming a "Far-to-see" turning into a "Sad-to-see read scripture in context

Text not read in context, is verse read in pretense
Thank you.
When Mary visited Elisabeth,she already had Jesus in her womb.
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 11:26pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039:
Thank you.
When Mary visited Elisabeth,she already had Jesus in her womb.
you seem to be forgeting one thing,luke 1:5 lets us know all the verses after occured during the time of herod.we know herod died in 4BC.you also seem to be forgetting that chapter 1 of luke didnt just talk about john,it also details the prophecy to mary.however,it doesnt say mary was already pregnant.it says she WOULD bear a child.as at the time she went to greet elisabeth,luke doesnt say she was pregnant.he said the baby leaped in the womb when he heard the voice of the mother of the lord.
luke 2 tells us jesus was born in 6AD.therefore according to luke,john was born during the time of herod and jesus was born when quirinius was governor.it tallies perfectly with luke 1:80 which says john was 13years old before jesus was born

N.B.. sometimes we have been so indoctrinated with an idea we just close our ears to the facts.i advice you read the first 2 chapters of luke critically without a pre-formed notion
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 12:24am On Sep 14, 2012
Delafruita:
you seem to be forgeting one thing,luke 1:5 lets us know all the verses after occured during the time of herod.we know herod died in 4BC.you also seem to be forgetting that chapter 1 of luke didnt just talk about john,it also details the prophecy to mary.however,it doesnt say mary was already pregnant.it says she WOULD bear a child.as at the time she went to greet elisabeth,luke doesnt say she was pregnant.he said the baby leaped in the womb when he heard the voice of the mother of the lord.
luke 2 tells us jesus was born in 6AD.therefore according to luke,john was born during the time of herod and jesus was born when quirinius was governor.it tallies perfectly with luke 1:80 which says john was 13years old before jesus was born

N.B.. sometimes we have been so indoctrinated with an idea we just close our ears to the facts.i advice you read the first 2 chapters of luke critically without a pre-formed notion

Truly there is no mention as to whether or not Mary was pregnant when she first arrived at the home of Elizabeth and Zachariah.

Luke 1:35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

Luke 1:41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit

IMHO,I feel Jesus was in her womb,for the effect of the Holy Spirit to be that heavy on Elizabeth and Foetus John(the savior was around....,I may be wrong)

But think about this

Matthew 1:18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.

Joseph will have to wait 13 years before he can have his wife all because God need's Mary's womb(they were engage for 13 years,I doubt if God will do that)

I may be wrong,but Joseph having to wait for 13 years sounds absurd to me
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by mkmyers45(m): 1:37am On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Truly there is no mention as to whether or not Mary was pregnant when she first arrived at the home of Elizabeth and Zachariah.

Luke 1:35 The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

Luke 1:41 When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit

IMHO,I feel Jesus was in her womb,for the effect of the Holy Spirit to be that heavy on Elizabeth and Foetus John(the savior was around....,I may be wrong)

But think about this

Matthew 1:18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.

Joseph will have to wait 13 years before he can have his wife all because God need's Mary's womb(they were engage for 13 years,I doubt if God will do that)

They were bethrothed so it depends on when that happened and how old they were then till Jesus birth
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by k2039: 2:39am On Sep 14, 2012
mkmyers45: They were bethrothed so it depends on when that happened and how old they were then till Jesus birth

Yeah,I understand your point(made a lot of sense)
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

But think about this

now you understand what it means when yahweh says "my ways are not your ways".in those days,bethrotals occured at adolescence.its not like joseph wooed mary.she was bethrothed to him at a young age.according to luke,there was a gap of some years between when gabriel appeared and when she actually conceive
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 14, 2012
CrazyMan:

paris10: I know this question is just like those asked of Jesus by the Pharisees. I know your heart and intention. You're one of those Islamic dude who read the bible and quote it out of context.

STANDING OVATION grin grin
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 9:24am On Sep 14, 2012
obadiah777: STANDING OVATION grin grin
cant see you standing
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 14, 2012
Delafruita:
cant see you standing
DELAFRUITCAKE grin
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 10:05am On Sep 14, 2012
obadiah777: DELAFRUITCAKE grin
bomboclat
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Areaboy2(m): 10:42am On Sep 14, 2012
CrazyMan:

there really isn't anything to understand there. it's that attitude of intolerance that will make a group of people go kill an innocent man because someone else 8000miles away made a movie to ridicule them. Intolerance by religionists is just one of the many things we hope to get rid of. Christianity has managed to calm down. Imagine us asking questions like these 400 years ago. Logicboy would have been burnt at the stake along with Delafruita and the rest of us. I even pity paganNaija the most lol cos he'll be molested first before burnt! HAHAHAHA

As much as we all love freedom of speech, I wouldn't be found dead making fun at Muslims. I dun wana die needlessly cry. So until christians go back to the dark ages and start buring atheists too, we reserve the right to speak our mind and be happy smiley

Finally, it isn't a waste of time to engage in meaningful debate on the accuracy of the bible. I can toss just as many questions that cant be answered from the bible due to inconsistencies. I've always said "an omniscient, omnipotent, 'omni everything else' god must preserve the infallible nature of his word". If he can't do that, then he isn't fit to be called my god undecided
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Delafruita(m): 4:43pm On Sep 14, 2012
Area_boy:

there really isn't anything to understand there. it's that attitude of intolerance that will make a group of people go kill an innocent man because someone else 8000miles away made a movie to ridicule them. Intolerance by religionists is just one of the many things we hope to get rid of. Christianity has managed to calm down. Imagine us asking questions like these 400 years ago. Logicboy would have been burnt at the stake along with Delafruita and the rest of us. I even pity paganNaija the most lol cos he'll be molested first before burnt! HAHAHAHA

As much as we all love freedom of speech, I wouldn't be found dead making fun at Muslims. I dun wana die needlessly cry. So until christians go back to the dark ages and start buring atheists too, we reserve the right to speak our mind and be happy smiley

Finally, it isn't a waste of time to engage in meaningful debate on the accuracy of the bible. I can toss just as many questions that cant be answered from the bible due to inconsistencies. I've always said "an omniscient, omnipotent, 'omni everything else' god must preserve the infallible nature of his word". If he can't do that, then he isn't fit to be called my god undecided
lol
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by Franklinus: 7:47am On Jun 10, 2015
FOR Catholics in the house and any one who is interested I invite you to read and comment on my blogposts...tell me what you think...we could have meaningful conversations and learn more about our Christian and Catholic faith. I invite those still in whatever form of doubt to log in to the credoexperience..com and ask your questions..... thanks as you do so...here is my latest post http://credoexperience..com/2015/06/the-holy-mass-forepatterned.html?m=1

Also here is my reply to the Rev.Chris OKOTIE http://credoexperience..com/2013/12/chris-okotie-i-challenge-you-my-reply.html?m=1
Re: Christians,scholars,-what Was The Age Difference Between Jesus Nd John D Baptist by chikids(m): 5:16pm On Oct 08, 2015
6 months.
Well, from the book of Luke 1:36- And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
With this message from the Angel that visited Mary, the conception of Jesus Christ was immediate looking at VERSE 35-And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
I believe the conception was immediate and therefore the age difference between Jesus Christ and John the baptist was 6 Months judging from VERSE 36

(1) (Reply)

5 Obligations To Keep On Sunday / Nike Oshinowo Avoids Churches Because Of Unnecessary Attention / A Christian Sister Pregnant Before The Wedding: Is It Right?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.