Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:42 AM

The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses (18931 Views)

Story Of Victor Oladipo The Top Rated College Basketballer In US. / Must Read: Touching Story Of Victor Moses / The Painful And Joyful Journey Of Victor Moses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by zumbigbo(m): 11:39am On Sep 15, 2012
As we teeter on the brink on a daily basis. As foreign governments eye our resources and plan confusion in conjunction with our amoral political elite. It is the everyday Naija people, who must survive like ants while the elephants dance above.

One of our dear sons, a victim of losing his parents by a fellow Nigerian. I am sure the group of Nigerians who ramapaged through his house and killed his parents were huddled around a screen cheering his every move against Liberia last weekend. We must all look inside and deal with our own prejudices.

Victor - we salute your journey - because you have shown how futile the path of hate can be and how positivity and blessings are transformed by the Creator.

To Victor Moses, the images have a dream-like quality. The Nigeria winger had prayed since the beginning of July for the completion of his transfer from Wigan Athletic to Chelsea and there had come a point when he feared that it would not happen.

But, in a whirlwind week at the end of August he signed for £9m, was introduced to the Stamford Bridge crowd before the Newcastle United game, felt his eyes widen and his stomach flip during his first training session and then, the finale, watched the European Super Cup against Atlético Madrid as an unused substitute.

Moses speaks in shy, hushed tones but they do not disguise the awe and excitement that he feels. His arrival at Chelsea marks a significant staging post in his quest to reach the game's summit, even if it pales in comparison to his broader journey from the depths of personal tragedy. His parents were murdered in Nigeria and Moses fled to England as an 11-year-old asylum seeker. He feels that they look down on him with pride.

Moses's focus is on the future and the opportunities that he intends to grasp. He hopes to make his debut at some stage of the grudge fixture at Queens Park Rangers on Saturday, although to give it such billing feels crass in the light of what he has lived through.

The 21-year-old bristles with quiet determination. He was Chelsea's final attack-minded signing of the summer, following Eden Hazard, Marko Marin and Oscar, who joined at a total cost of £60m, and with Juan Mata and Ramires also vying for prominence in Roberto Di Matteo's line of three behind the main striker, the competition for places is ferocious.

It is reasonable to wonder whether Moses, who was Wigan's main man last season and is becoming something similar for Nigeria, will enjoy the minutes that a talent like his wants and needs. He had no hesitation, though, in signing up for the challenge.

"I don't really know if it was Di Matteo or if it was the chairman or whoever but I knew that Chelsea were interested in me and that was it, really," Moses says. "For a club to come and get you, they are going to use you at some stage. I know that there are a lot of players at Chelsea but if I do get my chance, I just have to grab it."

Moses already has Chelsea stories to tell. He smiles when he recalls standing on a chair in Monaco, in the build-up to the Super Cup final, and being ordered to sing and dance for the amusement of his team-mates. The initiation routine for new recruits has become a feature at many clubs. "I was nervous," Moses says. "I thought: 'What am I going to sing?' because when I stood there, I literally didn't know what to sing."

For the record and the grime fans out there, Moses "kind of sang a Skepta song". "It's a little bit embarrassing," he says, "… everyone watching me, thinking: 'What is he singing?' But it was all right."

Moses has needed more than the occasional superlative of late. "The first training session was unbelievable … seeing JT, Ashley Cole, Torres and people like that, it was incredible, kind of crazy," he says. "And the Super Cup, when I was watching it, I was thinking to myself: 'I can't actually believe that I'm here.' I didn't get on but I still got a [runners-up] medal."

Moses's appetite for precious metal, though, has been fired by a different encounter. "I saw the Champions League trophy the other day, it was at the training ground," he says. "Everyone was having their picture taken with it but not me. It was the players that played in the Champions League. I just walked away, although I did touch it. I thought to myself: 'Hopefully, we will win it again this year.'"

Moses's single-mindedness and strength of character is evident and it is easy to connect it with the manner in which he has coped with his childhood trauma. His father, Austin, was a Christian pastor in Kaduna, and his mother, Josephine, helped with his work.[/b]

Violence, though, was depressingly familiar between the Muslim majority and the Christian minority and when riots erupted in 2002, Moses's parents, who were obvious but unflinching targets, were attacked in their home and killed. Moses was given the news as he played football in the street. He became a target, too, and, after being hidden by friends for a week, he was sent to England, where he was placed with foster parents in south London. Upon his arrival in the country, he knew nobody.

"Definitely, wherever they are at the moment, they should be proud of me, looking down being proud," Moses says of his parents. He is not ready to open up publicly about the bereavement and the gamut of emotions that he has run, but he does reflect on the work ethic that has guided him and been in place from the outset.

"It has been a long journey [from Nigeria] and I just want to keep strong and work hard for myself, whether it's football or not football," Moses says. "I have to thank God for being where I am, it's like a dream come true and, if I keep working hard, who knows, I'll probably end up in Barcelona one day."

Moses has fond memories of the street-football days in Nigeria – "No boots, just in your bare feet, a little ball got chucked in and we started playing" – and, also, the English after-school equivalent. He always wanted to be a professional footballer and he was spotted by Crystal Palace as he kicked a ball about in Norbury Park. They brought him into their academy and recommended him to Whitgift, the fee-paying school in Croydon where he could benefit from the superb facilities.[b]

He was a prodigy, utterly prolific in front of goal, a man among boys. He led the Whitgift under-14 team to the FA Youth Cup in 2005; they beat Grimsby school 5-0 in the final, with Moses scoring all five. Grimsby played in red shirts, which prompted the Grimsby Evening Telegraph into the first of many bible-based headlines for the player: "Holy Moses – wonder player parts red sea."

He made his Palace debut at 16 and was called up by England at every youth level. He won the Golden Boot at the European Under-17 Championship in 2007, in which England lost to Spain in the final, but his momentum was checked at Under-21 level. Stuart Pearce fielded him only once, against Uzbekistan in 2010, and the manager substituted him at half-time. [b]Moses was not called up for the next game. "I played for England Under-16s, 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s and then 21s … then … I just decided to make the decision to play for Nigeria," he says.

Moses based the decision, in part, on where he felt full international opportunity would knock. He was conscious, he says, of the "great players" that England produce. "Every year," he adds, "you can see young players coming up and doing really well."

His declaration for Nigeria has thrilled fans across Africa, where the Premier League is revered, although it did prompt Pearce into a hurried phone call to ask him what he was doing. Moses has his eyes on the Africa Cup of Nations that takes place in South Africa from 19 January-10 February next year, at which Nigeria will compete if they can see off Liberia in the second leg of the final qualifying round. They drew the first leg 2-2 in Liberia last Saturday, with Moses setting up both of his team's goals. The return is in Calabar on 12 October.

"When I got to Nigeria [last week], everyone seemed to support Chelsea," Moses says. "It was a good experience to see Chelsea fans in Nigeria, screaming my name and stuff. When I got to Liberia as well, it was the same thing. They watch the Premier League everywhere in Africa."[/b]

The topsy-turvy nature of Moses's recent existence is epitomised by his having played more matches this season against his current employer than for them. He completed the 90 minutes for Wigan against Chelsea on the opening weekend, which was a test of his professionalism, particularly as he says he knew Chelsea had made a bid for him before the kick-off. "Wigan must have rejected it," he says. They rejected four bids in total, starting with £3.5m in early July.

Moses is desperate to impress and he says that he has no preference about where he plays. "I feel comfortable anywhere up front," he says. "Left wing, right wing, behind the striker. I thought that the transfer wasn't going to happen because it did drag on a bit but I'm delighted that everything is sorted. I just want to enjoy myself and play football."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/14/victor-moses-interview-chelsea?newsfeed=true
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by semid4lyfe(m): 1:30pm On Sep 15, 2012

"I played for England Under-16s, 17s, 18s, 19s, 20s and then 21s … then … I just decided to make the decision to play for Nigeria," he says.

Moses based the decision, in part, on where he felt full international opportunity would knock. He was conscious, he says, of the "great players" that England produce. "Every year," he adds, "you can see young players coming up and doing really well."

His declaration for Nigeria has thrilled fans across Africa, where the Premier League is revered, although it did prompt Pearce into a hurried phone call to ask him what he was doing. Moses has his eyes on the Africa Cup of Nations that takes place in South Africa from 19 January-10 February next year, at which Nigeria will compete if they can see off Liberia in the second leg of the final qualifying round. They drew the first leg 2-2 in Liberia last Saturday, with Moses setting up both of his team's goals. The return is in Calabar on 12 October.

Wow! Never knew until now that Victor Moses lost his parent in a religious crisis. shocked

Having said that, Moses made the best decision to play for Nigeria. Gabriel Agbonlahor who was used and dumped by England after 2 friendly matches & a qualifier is a testament to this.

Now Gabby's in "international limbo". . .committed & fully capped by England but not receiving call ups to the 3 Lions (as his form has dipped) & he can't switch and pledge allegiance to Nigeria. If he had chosen Nigeria, he's still be very relevant in the scheme of things. I sure sey the guy dey regret and dey talk for hin mind sey "had I known". tongue

How I wish Nedum Onuoha will commit to play for Nigeria. He's a good player. . .young, fast and most importantly can play any position in defence (our weakest department in the team).

1 Like

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by zumbigbo(m): 2:08pm On Sep 15, 2012
Imagine, he lost both parents and then found himself in South London, which can be a walking graveyard if you do not follow the right direction. We have legions of lost boys there who get caught up in school-gang violence.

As for Gabby...he came up and all of the English coaches whispered the magical words in his ears, 'You're good enough to play for England son', so it dun turn bis brain well, well. Now, he in international football Guanatanamo in bright orange suit with full hand and knee cuffs.

I know when Samson Siasia was manager, he came to one hotel in Central London and met up with many UK based youth players (U15,16,17 and 18's) to tap them up to play for Nigeria. He kept many waiting in lounge with their parents for hours. The organisation was not good, but the intentions were on point.

2 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by ayusco: 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2012
Yeah heard abt his story b4. For that alone he is a top guy playing for a country where your parents died? Now that must bring back tragic memories but he still decides to play for naija really inspirational God bless him

5 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by zumbigbo(m): 2:29pm On Sep 15, 2012
In these times of global intolerance - we need to learn to talk less about religion and practice it more. I get tearful just thinking about his story. Peace needs to be our national mantra.

1 Like

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by semid4lyfe(m): 5:30pm On Sep 15, 2012
zumbigbo: In these times of global intolerance - we need to learn to talk less about religion and practice it more. I get tearful just thinking about his story. Peace needs to be our national mantra.

Guy, you don dey preach o wink No forget sey na Sports section we dey lol grin

On a serious note, I feel wetin you dey talk.

zumbigbo: Imagine, he lost both parents and then found himself in South London, which can be a walking graveyard if you do not follow the right direction. We have legions of lost boys there who get caught up in school-gang violence.

As for Gabby...he came up and all of the English coaches whispered the magical words in his ears, 'You're good enough to play for England son', so it dun turn bis brain well, well. Now, he in international football Guanatanamo in bright orange suit with full hand and knee cuffs.

True! I just hope the young and upcoming Nigerian players with dual eligibility in England don't make the same mistake.

Na so Shola Ameobi do shakara so tey before hin know am, hin clock 30 and now he's old cargo and even after committing his international future to Nigeria (I think Victor Moses & Shola Ameobi got FIFA clearance to play for Nigeria at the same time) nobody send am. tongue

Nedum Onuoha had better wake up from his slumber cos he's already 25 and the clock is ticking. He's only played for the England U-20's and is not even considered good enough to play for the 3 Lions in a friendly so what makes him think his chances with England are so bright? He should emulate the footsteps of Anichebe & Moses and commit to Nigeria.

Funny thing is, in 2009 he shunned all overtures & invitations to play for Nigeria but said he'd be available for selection for the 2010 World Cup if he were called up. The thief wan reap for were hin no sow lol. grin

I bin like Moses before but this story wey I read today don make me like am more sef.

2 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by toluxe0075: 9:55am On Sep 16, 2012
I like dis guy, he didn't allow d death of his parent here in nigeria 2 stop him 4rm playin 4 naija... Buh wait a minute o, dis should be on d front page naw...must it involve d'banj or wizkid or gene n omotola b4 it wil make d front page...oya mr moderator send it 2 d front page

1 Like

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by zumbigbo(m): 9:47pm On Sep 16, 2012
Only frivolous nonsense makes the front pages, stories that can empower and strengthen our resolve as Africans are left, deep down in the abyss. No wahala.

1 Like

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Shaw007(m): 7:49am On Sep 17, 2012
Front page plss angry
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Shaw007(m): 7:50am On Sep 17, 2012
Victor moses. . .i know say one day u go make us pROud!!

3 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by polokor60(m): 8:50am On Sep 17, 2012
what an inspirational story from moses.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Johnnoah1st: 10:18am On Sep 17, 2012
Seun abeg catarpot this tin to frontpage na abi wetin dey worry u gan self
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2012
Hmmmm... Interesting read..
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by slimming: 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2012
Great one there.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by MrNigeria2(m): 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2012
...... wow so touching I feel like crying, never knew he has no parents. now he has bought a beautiful mansion in London @ the young age of twenty one. God bless you bountifulLy.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by vislabraye(m): 1:59pm On Sep 17, 2012
All things eventually worked for his good.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 17, 2012
good lesson for all!
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by MrNigeria2(m): 2:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
...... wow so touching I feel like crying, never knew he has no parents. now he has bought a beautiful mansion in London @ the young age of twenty one. God bless you bountifulLy.

Front page worthy article! not those **** articles smh
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by izuch(m): 2:05pm On Sep 17, 2012
I pledge to nigeria my country to be, to be em, em, em blah blah blah.. So help me God. I wish i had the same mechanism he has, being patriotic.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by strangest(m): 2:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
Please Islam, drop the arms.. Train the almajiris, so our country will be a better place

2 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by akereconfi: 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2012
Am so happy for u.....coming back to serve the country where ur parents were murdered in the name of a Borrowed Religion ***smh***

#PEACE#
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by ebamma2(m): 2:20pm On Sep 17, 2012
I pledge to Arsenal my clubtry,to be faithful loyal and honest,to carry trophy is not by force,to defend our profiteery,and uphold our honour and glory so says wenger

4 Likes

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by stillme(m): 2:24pm On Sep 17, 2012
I don't know why I love that guy. So cool.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by ramaju: 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
ayusco: Yeah heard abt his story b4. For that alone he is a top guy playing for a country where your parents died? Now that must bring back tragic memories but he still decides to play for naija really inspirational God bless him
Unlike some people here who found themselves in white man's country and have kept calling their home country names.

1 Like

Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by 4reigningqueen: 2:43pm On Sep 17, 2012
thank God, so far he has not been compared with Mikel by his haters.i wont be surprised though if they start now.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by IleIfe2(m): 2:45pm On Sep 17, 2012
So hausa muslims killed his parents, God pass them
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by toluxe0075: 2:50pm On Sep 17, 2012
akereconfi:

On POINT......GBAM!!!!!!
Freedom of SPEECH

talk is cheap I invested in SPEECH. Ban us if u like...mind u, I first u register for this Forum...since 2006 no b beans, so no even tink to Ban me
na fight?
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by IleIfe2(m): 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2012
ramaju: Unlike some people here who found themselves in white man's country and have kept calling their home country names.

He is loyal because of the rest of us not because of any mallam, i hope his success spite the murderers and their preachers if they are still mentally stable to recognise him.
Re: The Heartrending Story Of Victor Moses by Super1759: 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2012
Nigeria is blessed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Liberia Vs Nigeria: International Friendly 1- 2 (Full Time) / Vincent Kompany Leaves Man City After 11 Years To Join Anderlecht / I Trust Uzoho - Peseiro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.