Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,017 members, 7,806,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (573) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1822011 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dddave(m): 10:39pm On Dec 09, 2018
Ifyjoshblaze:
How reputable and fair (to non indigenes) is Ebonyi state University college of medicine?
Ebonyi state university college of medicine is quite reputable among state universities in the east. Admission is fair but as a state university, they consider their indigine more. There are actually lots of non indigenes in the school(including Yorubas)

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Constantine2: 2:17pm On Dec 10, 2018
Please guys I just got admitted to anambra state university mbbs.but there has been discouragements everywhere dat their medical school lacks standard and dat I should forfeit d admission and apply to a better medical school. Pls medics what do u suggest I do

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 3:48pm On Dec 10, 2018
Constantine2:
Please guys I just got admitted to anambra state university mbbs.but there has been discouragements everywhere dat their medical school lacks standard and dat I should forfeit d admission and apply to a better medical school. Pls medics what do u suggest I do

Ogah, continue ur studies..
If u wish to apply somewhere else, remain in school while u do that.

Once the school is accredited, u dont have a problem.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Constantine2: 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2018
ISISs:

Ogah, continue ur studies..
If u wish to apply somewhere else, remain in school while u do that.

Once the school is accredited, u dont have a problem.
tnks bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Tayo9ja: 4:40pm On Dec 10, 2018
As simple as 1-2-3!!!

Simply download the Watch and Win App on Google Playstore, Watch 2 Ads and stand a chance to win cash.

Click http:///wawdotng to register.

Hurry up and get started!

#WAW #Giveaway #Ad #Money #WinBig #wawdotng #WatchandWin

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:58am On Dec 11, 2018
Constantine2:

who is telling you that bullshit?
B/c you got medicine on a platter that why you are listening to nonsense abi?
when you spend over 10 years of your life applying for medicine in a federal uni and your mates that continued in ANSU graduates and becomes consultants, your eye go clear.
Quit talking nonsense and face your studies.
Besides ANSU has accreditation.

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Bigboy289(m): 10:26pm On Dec 11, 2018
[quote author=chiwill22 post=73635130][/quote] Facebook username -Fashina adebayo Samson olaotan
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Froshchuksswart(m): 5:49am On Dec 12, 2018
Wizydom144:

You just lied.. Ah! 2015 ke?? Unimed have been graduating medical students since, and they have one of the best facilities... There medical school started since, except you are talking about security purposes..... But people are still studying there and graduating...

Unimed is different from Unimaid

Unimed is a new medical school while Unimaid is university of maiduguri
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Godmademan(m): 7:01am On Dec 12, 2018
i hear there is a scholarship for medical students from northern part of nigeria....can anyone verify this info please?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Elzak(m): 9:26am On Dec 12, 2018
Godmademan:
i hear there is a scholarship for medical students from northern part of nigeria....can anyone verify this info please?
what is the name of the scholarship?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Godmademan(m): 9:31am On Dec 12, 2018
Elzak:
what is the name of the scholarship?
no idea. That is why i am asking if any such really exist.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 12, 2018
kempreze:

who is telling you that bullshit?
B/c you got medicine on a platter that why you are listening to nonsense abi?
when you spend over 10 years of your life applying for medicine in a federal uni and your mates that continued in ANSU graduates and becomes consultants, your eye go clear.
Quit talking nonsense and face your studies.
Besides ANSU has accreditation.
my case Is similar to d OP above. I applied to unilag but later change to oou mbbs due to competition and got it. But Im in love with unilag due to its better standard and lesser fees.do u think I should give u lag one last trial I'm nineteen .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 12, 2018
Easymoneychampa:
my case Is similar to d OP above. I applied to unilag but later change to oou mbbs due to competition and got it. But Im in love with unilag due to its better standard and lesser fees.do u think I should give u lag one last trial I'm nineteen .
Which better standards? All these federal universities are overrated. Just stay where you are and graduate. Medicine is the same in all the universities in terms of first degree insofar as it was accredited by NUC and MDCN. You should be grateful to God that you got admission on a platter of gold. Some of these state universities are even overtaking some federal universities in medicine. If your parents can afford the school fee, stay there. You may graduate and even know more than the guys who went to federal universities. All these federal universities rush their basic medical science courses and within 3 semesters they'll tell you they've finished them, without the students knowing much, but state universities take time to teach them and then take the 2nd MBBS exams after 4 semesters. They go deep. I took my time to assess and compare federal and state universities.

Unilag takes the 2nd MBBS after 3 semesters. There's never a way it will cover much. I'm in a federal university. So, i know better. Federal universities rush their programmes and it's not good to do so in medicine.

The other day, a medical doctor was telling somebody that during his youth service at UBTH in 1990, he was operated upon and he was surprised to see that some medical students came for a ward round after it had ended. He was telling somebody that the quality of medical education has dropped due to excessive admission without improving infrastructures and without employing more medical lecturers. He said that there were about 50 medical students per one consultant in that ward round, unlike his own days when there were 5 assigned to one consultant. So, that's the problem of federal universities. State universities admit fewer students.

I have also seen a consultant who did her residency at UNILAG and complained of obsolete equipment there, except it has been improved now. The problem is that the management will try to hide the truth. Recently, UNILAG dental students equally complained of obsolete equipment. It's not peculiar to UNILAG. Most of these federal universities as well as state universities have the same issue of underfunding, poor infrastructures, etc. Nigeria is totally bad everywhere!

Just go to UNN and see for urself what i'm saying here. The management will over-admit medical and dental students without improving infrastructures. The old buildings Drs Chris Ngige, Okwesilieze Nwodo and Peter Odili used then in the 70's are what they are still using. No improvement! Come to Ebonyi State University (EBSU), you'll discover it has better facilities than UNN medical school. Then, you'll begin to wonder. Let's face reality and fact. I hate painting lies to seem truthful. Some federal universities have lost their glories. They only carry empty big names.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by rasaquadri: 6:57pm On Dec 12, 2018
Mandeyy:
Which better standards? All these federal universities are overrated. Just stay where you are and graduate. Medicine is the same in all the universities in terms of first degree insofar as it was accredited by NUC and MDCN. You should be grateful to God that you got admission on a platter of gold. Some of these state universities are even overtaking some federal universities in medicine. If your parents can afford the school fee, stay there. You may graduate and even know more than the guys who went to federal universities. All these federal universities rush their basic medical science courses and within 3 semesters they'll tell you they've finished them, without the students knowing much, but state universities take time to teach them and then take the 2nd MBBS exams after 4 semesters. They go deep. I took my time to assess and compare federal and state universities.

Unilag takes the 2nd MBBS after 3 semesters. There's never a way it will cover much. I'm in a federal university. So, i know better. Federal universities rush their programmes and it's not good to do so in medicine.

The other day, a medical doctor was telling somebody that during his youth service at UBTH in 1990, he was operated upon and he was surprised to see that some medical students came for a ward round after it had ended. He was telling somebody that the quality of medical education has dropped due to excessive admission without improving infrastructures and without employing more medical lecturers. He said that there were about 50 medical students per one consultant in that ward round, unlike his own days when there were 5 assigned to one consultant. So, that's the problem of federal universities. State universities admit fewer students.

I have also seen a consultant who did her residency at UNILAG and complained of obsolete equipment there, except it has been improved now. The problem is that the management will try to hide the truth. Recently, UNILAG dental students equally complained of obsolete equipment. It's not peculiar to UNILAG. Most of these federal universities as well as state universities have the same issue of underfunding, poor infrastructures, etc. Nigeria is totally bad everywhere!

Just go to UNN and see for urself what i'm saying here. The management will over-admit medical and dental students without improving infrastructures. The old buildings Drs Chris Ngige, Okwesilieze Nwodo and Peter Odili used then in the 70's are what they are still using. No improvement! Come to Ebonyi State University (EBSU), you'll discover it has better facilities than UNN medical school. Then, you'll begin to wonder. Let's face reality and fact. I hate painting lies to seem truthful. Some federal universities have lost their glories. They only carry empty big names.
All the best with ur opinion but that doesn't change the fact these schools u just denigrated attract the best out of many and will also produce the best

6 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 12, 2018
rasaquadri:

All the best with ur opinion but that doesn't change the fact these schools u just denigrated attract the best out of many and will also produce the best
I didn't denigrate them. I can't hide the truth any longer. I'm in a federal university too.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 12, 2018
rasaquadri:

And it's not true that they produce the best. There is no single exam to test ur assumption.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by rasaquadri: 7:26pm On Dec 12, 2018
Mandeyy:
I didn't denigrate them. I can't hide the truth any longer. I'm in a federal university too.
u are right tho I have been to two federal universities and I know their standard it is not their fault we know the situation of this country in terms of funding for the education sector

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by CyrilPatrickk(m): 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2018
rasaquadri:

Typical Nigerian reply..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 10:44pm On Dec 12, 2018
Mandeyy:
And it's not true that they produce the best. There is no single exam to test ur assumption.
Ogah mandey..
Which federal uni are you in?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Preye21: 11:13pm On Dec 12, 2018
Ok, I'm 22, I Have a Bsc with a 2.1(3.93) in Microbiology from Uniport and I've successfully completed my NYSC. I wish to pick a DE form for medicine in UI.
1. What are my chances of admission?
2. Does UI consider their graduates first?
3. How is the selection done? (are some gpa's considered before others or they just consider "2.1"wink
Please any idea?
4. Which other school can I apply to?

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by pascaleon: 7:51am On Dec 13, 2018
Preye21:
Ok, I'm 22, I Have a Bsc with a 2.1(3.93) in Microbiology from Uniport and I've successfully completed my NYSC. I wish to pick a DE form for medicine in UI.
3. How is the selection done? (are some gpa's considered before others or they just consider "2.1"wink
Please any idea?
Was following a thread on UI admission this year noticed the DE candidates admitted were mostly first class I did not hear of 2.1...don't even try unilag because my friend is still not admitted with your similar result...I suggest you either try your school or some other state university...It's medicine so far it's accredited in that school it's the same curriculum
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 13, 2018
ISISs:

Ogah mandey..
Which federal uni are you in?
Pm me.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 9:17am On Dec 13, 2018
Preye21:
Please any idea?

Hello, good morning.

You may consider UniAbuja.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AnonymousLee: 9:28am On Dec 13, 2018
Hello Medics in the house, please I'd appreciate a detailed reply to this; Ideally how many years will it take to study medicine in Nigeria irrespective of the institution??

6yrs
7yrs
Or
8yrs
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by davbravo(m): 12:52pm On Dec 13, 2018
AnonymousLee:
Hello Medics in the house, please I'd appreciate a detailed reply to this; Ideally how many years will it take to study medicine in Nigeria irrespective of the institution??

6yrs
7yrs
Or
8yrs
6+ years
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by damilola8775(m): 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2018
Nice. I'm Mustapha, I'm also a 200l student. Can we hook up?
Virtutis:
Everyone, thank God for me... I have gotten admission via IJMB D.E into University of Ilorin to study Medicine and Surgery!grin

Lectures have kicked off fully for 200 level MB;BS here in Unilorin and it's so bulky and hectic... But I trust God for strength! smiley

I'm so grateful for this amazing thread... Gone through it and I've learnt a lot of lessons from the Doctors and Medical students in the house... Thanks to everyone!

Hey congratulations.
Time to start the jacking!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oriks93: 7:05pm On Dec 13, 2018
Preye21:
Please any idea?

You should try niger delta university. I just got in with a 2.1 b.tech
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Virtutis: 8:42pm On Dec 13, 2018
AnonymousLee:

6yrs
7yrs
Or
8yrs

Well, it should not be more than 6yrs but then incessant strikes prolong it. With the strikes, 7yrs you are done if there are no repeats.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Virtutis: 8:46pm On Dec 13, 2018
Preye21:
Please any idea?

To be honest with you, entering Medicine with 2.1 in U.I is a really tall order. It's mostly first class who are mostly courses related to Medicine such as Physiology, Biochemistry, Anatomy who are first considered.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Julidab: 9:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
Constantine2:
no mind them. accept it. is it through DE or utme u applied for the mbbs
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Preye21: 11:33pm On Dec 13, 2018
TONYE001:

Hello, good morning.

You may consider UniAbuja.
You know of people who got in with a 2.1?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Preye21: 11:34pm On Dec 13, 2018
Oriks93:

You should try niger delta university. I just got in with a 2.1 b.tech
Ok thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (570) (571) (572) (573) (574) (575) (576) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.