Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (701) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1822869 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zeeknow3245(m): 9:42pm On May 29, 2020
Pocohontasboo:

you are right. unilag total admitted student for dentistry 44. UI 29. Now what shocked the living day light out of me was seeing over 150 students admitted for dentistry in unical!!, who does that?!! unical students Maravel Emarvel what's going on?
Exactly,a Guy told me that they were 343 in medical school in the east excluding dentists oo and when they got to 300 level they wëre 143. I won't mention the school

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Undilutedme: 9:49am On May 30, 2020
TONYE001
Pls permit me to share ur diary in my Facebook page
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 9:58am On May 30, 2020
Undilutedme:
TONYE001

Pls permit me to share ur diary in my Facebook page

Hi.

How're you doing?

Please, I'd rather you don't share Pouvoir on Facebook or anywhere outside Nairaland.

Thanks for reading it... Do have a nice day.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Undilutedme: 11:24am On May 30, 2020
TONYE001:

Hi.

How're you doing?

Please, I'd rather you don't share Pouvoir on Facebook or anywhere outside Nairaland.

Alright boss. Nice piece u got there, really inspiring. Max respect

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TeflonBlixx: 8:35pm On Jun 01, 2020
TONYE001:

Hi.

How're you doing?

b

Sadly, someone already did.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NearMeHub: 3:31am On Jun 02, 2020
Mandeyy:
Bro, i am a UNN dental student. The only problem in dentistry is passing the exam. It's a very hard course. Before i got admission into it, i used to think it's easy and that it's all about pulling teeth. But now that i'm into it, i now know my previous perception of it was wrong. In fact, both medicine and dentistry do the same courses from 1st year to fourth (4th) year before going their separate ways in fifth year. As if that's not enough, 5th yr dental students will thereafter join final yr medical students to do their final yr courses with them which will require them going to clinical posting together with these final year medical students and then write the same exam with them for these courses, despite the fact that dentistry is for the oral and maxillofacial region. Then in final yr, they will focus on their core dental courses.

In Nigeria today, with due respect to medical graduates, it's easier for a dental graduate to get housemanship placement than a medical graduate, cos dental graduates are few in number. Besides, more hospitals now have dental clinics than before.

Dentistry is not all about oral and maxillofacial surgery. There are other dental specialties similar in clinical work like in medicine such as oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral medicine, oral radiology and even oral anaesthesiology. What a medical doctor who is a pathologist does in other parts of human body other than oral and maxillofacial region is what a dental doctor who is an oral pathologist does in the oral and maxillofacial region. It's the same procedures with slight variations, due to the uniqueness of the different parts of the body. Besides, an oral pathologist while in residency training still rotates through general pathology and internal medicine. The same is applicable to an oral radiologist and an oral anaesthetist. The fomer Chief Medical Director (CMD) of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Prof. Onatolu Odukoya, is a dentist. He's a consultant oral pathologist. Even the current Registrar, MDCN, Dr T.A.B. Sanusi, is a dentist. Besides, it's still the same National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN) and West African College of Physicians and Surgeons that both medical and dental doctors pass through before becoming consultants. As of last year, the president of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN) was Professor Ademola Abayomi Olaitan, a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon. The two professions write primaries, do a residency training of about 4-7 years before becoming consultants, have the same privileges and emoluments. It's only the ignorant public who doesn't know much about dentistry and always thinks ignorantly that it's the study of pulling teeth who respects medical doctors more (besides, dentist's respect comes from his/her patients who know a dentist's worth). However, a knowledgeable person knows the two professions are very essential and therefore accords them equal respect.

The ignorant public does not know that oral cancers and other pathologies of the oral and maxillofacial region, other than dental diseases, are diagnosed by dentists specifically oral pathologists, oral radiologists, consultants in oral medicine and oral and maxillofacial surgeons who are all dentists.

Even in private practice in Nigeria, Dentistry is also lucrative. Ignore what the public says about this. On this Nairaland, somebody said he uprooted three teeth for N90,000 in Ilorin apart from consultation and x-ray fees. One of the teeth was impacted and after x-ray, the dentist discovered facial nerve passed near it and can only be surgically extracted by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, otherwise the nerve may get injured in the process. He said he visited some private dental clinics (up to 10) in Ilorin, and each of them was busy while the less busy ones had up to 10 patients. He said he was charged N60,000 in Govt Hospital for the same procedure.

There are still other branches of dentistry such as periodontology, prosthodontics, dental public health, general dental practice (family dentistry), orthodontics, endodontics, and child dental health (paediatric dentistry).

The UNN 2017 dental graduates all got internship placements without delay. So, ignore ignorant public's perception of dentistry. It's not the real picture of dentistry they portray.

For ur info, this link shows the work of a consultant prosthodontist in London. See the link: http://www.wereblog.com/eric-moger-the-man-who-lost-his-face-to-nose-cancer-gets-his-face-back This shows the importance of dentistry especially oral and maxillofacial surgery in Cambodia. See the link: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/nil-mouth-how-cambodia-desperate-oral-surgeons
find out oral surgeon near me now

A colleague said Nigeria BDS holders can only work abroad after a further training unlike MBBS who only writes an exam, because our training in Nigeria is rather crude.

Dental training in Nigeria is not crude; it's the same as medicine. Every profession in different countries has its requirement. That does not mean its training in another country is crude. The only problem with dental training and by extension medical training in Nigeria, is lack of Hi-tech equipment which Western education in developed countries boasts of. Dentistry in America requires a foreign dentist (not just a Nigerian dentist) to come to America, sit for National Board for Dental Education (NBDE) exam, pass it and study for 2 years before acquiring DDS or DMD afterwhich the dental graduate will get a licence to practise.

Also for medicine, you start writing the exam in a foreign country, then pass it, come to America and start residency. It's all different strokes for different folks. Besides, passing the medical exam is still not easy. Let's be contented with where God has put us to bring a positive change to humanity.

thank you for really grate explanation of oral and maxillofacial surgery
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAuthentic: 12:10pm On Jun 02, 2020
Good morning doctors. I am a medical student in Udusok and I need course title and course codes for 200l in any Nigerian medical school. Thanks in advance!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zeeknow3245(m): 1:05pm On Jun 02, 2020
DrAuthentic:
Good morning doctors. I am a medical student in Udusok and I need course title and course codes for 200l in any Nigerian medical school. Thanks in advance!
I got pdf files so many that will be useful for u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kingexcellence(m): 4:20pm On Jun 02, 2020
Zeeknow3245:
I got pdf files so many that will be useful for u
Man of God, how do I get it?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ejehijustice(m): 5:06pm On Jun 02, 2020
DrAuthentic:
Good evening boss... I need to reach you and ask some questions about UDUS MBBS/BDS... Here is my whatsapp number 07039548938. I look forward to hearing from you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2020
Zeeknow3245:

Exactly,a Guy told me that they were 343 in medical school in the east excluding dentists oo and when they got to 300 level they wëre 143. I won't mention the school
The number of students in 100L MBBS AAU is about 500+.
Nursing students 700+. And MBBS quota is just 50.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by David2O(m): 5:42pm On Jun 02, 2020
Kingexcellence:
Visit http://booktree.ng
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Commmy: 6:22pm On Jun 02, 2020
DrAuthentic:

You can as well visit www. medicostimes .com

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Froshchuksswart(m): 6:58am On Jun 03, 2020
I'm a PRECLINICAL dental student(200l) we were about randing up first semester before the pandemic, guy I want to correct something,Dentistry cutoff is only low in UNN(maybe because people don't know about the profession in South east),i remember getting Dentistry with a jamb score of 297 self in UNN 2018,guy if you go to southwest schools like OAU UI an UNILAG the cutoff is next after medicine no other course in COLLEGE OF MEDICINE beat dentistry cutoff apart from MEDICINE Again from 2019 set Dentistry is now competitive they are only 44 in '025 set now they were 100+ unn reduced them some months after they were admitted(their caps change to other departments to like physiology,med rehab,anatomy and physiology) and again this ones about entering for 2020 they scored very high I know about 5 people aspiring for dentistry with over 320 in UTME

Mandeyy:
Bro, i am a UNN dental student. The only problem in dentistry is passing the exam. It's a very hard course. Before i got admission into it, i used to think it's easy and that it's all about pulling teeth. But now that i'm into it, i now know my previous perception of it was wrong. In fact, both medicine and dentistry do the same courses from 1st year to fourth (4th) year before going their separate ways in fifth year. As if that's not enough, 5th yr dental students will thereafter join final yr medical students to do their final yr courses with them which will require them going to clinical posting together with these final year medical students and then write the same exam with them for these courses, despite the fact that dentistry is for the oral and maxillofacial region. Then in final yr, they will focus on their core dental courses.

In Nigeria today, with due respect to medical graduates, it's easier for a dental graduate to get housemanship placement than a medical graduate, cos dental graduates are few in number. Besides, more hospitals now have dental clinics than before.

Dentistry is not all about oral and maxillofacial surgery. There are other dental specialties similar in clinical work like in medicine such as oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral medicine, oral radiology and even oral anaesthesiology. What a medical doctor who is a pathologist does in other parts of human body other than oral and maxillofacial region is what a dental doctor who is an oral pathologist does in the oral and maxillofacial region. It's the same procedures with slight variations, due to the uniqueness of the different parts of the body. Besides, an oral pathologist while in residency training still rotates through general pathology and internal medicine. The same is applicable to an oral radiologist and an oral anaesthetist. The fomer Chief Medical Director (CMD) of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), Prof. Onatolu Odukoya, is a dentist. He's a consultant oral pathologist. Even the current Registrar, MDCN, Dr T.A.B. Sanusi, is a dentist. Besides, it's still the same National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN) and West African College of Physicians and Surgeons that both medical and dental doctors pass through before becoming consultants. As of last year, the president of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria (NPMCN) was Professor Ademola Abayomi Olaitan, a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon. The two professions write primaries, do a residency training of about 4-7 years before becoming consultants, have the same privileges and emoluments. It's only the ignorant public who doesn't know much about dentistry and always thinks ignorantly that it's the study of pulling teeth who respects medical doctors more (besides, dentist's respect comes from his/her patients who know a dentist's worth). However, a knowledgeable person knows the two professions are very essential and therefore accords them equal respect.

The ignorant public does not know that oral cancers and other pathologies of the oral and maxillofacial region, other than dental diseases, are diagnosed by dentists specifically oral pathologists, oral radiologists, consultants in oral medicine and oral and maxillofacial surgeons who are all dentists.

Even in private practice in Nigeria, Dentistry is also lucrative. Ignore what the public says about this. On this Nairaland, somebody said he uprooted three teeth for N90,000 in Ilorin apart from consultation and x-ray fees. One of the teeth was impacted and after x-ray, the dentist discovered facial nerve passed near it and can only be surgically extracted by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, otherwise the nerve may get injured in the process. He said he visited some private dental clinics (up to 10) in Ilorin, and each of them was busy while the less busy ones had up to 10 patients. He said he was charged N60,000 in Govt Hospital for the same procedure.

There are still other branches of dentistry such as periodontology, prosthodontics, dental public health, general dental practice (family dentistry), orthodontics, endodontics, and child dental health (paediatric dentistry).

The UNN 2017 dental graduates all got internship placements without delay. So, ignore ignorant public's perception of dentistry. It's not the real picture of dentistry they portray.

For ur info, this link shows the work of a consultant prosthodontist in London. See the link: http://www.wereblog.com/eric-moger-the-man-who-lost-his-face-to-nose-cancer-gets-his-face-back This shows the importance of dentistry especially oral and maxillofacial surgery in Cambodia. See the link: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/nil-mouth-how-cambodia-desperate-oral-surgeons

A colleague said Nigeria BDS holders can only work abroad after a further training unlike MBBS who only writes an exam, because our training in Nigeria is rather crude.

Dental training in Nigeria is not crude; it's the same as medicine. Every profession in different countries has its requirement. That does not mean its training in another country is crude. The only problem with dental training and by extension medical training in Nigeria, is lack of Hi-tech equipment which Western education in developed countries boasts of. Dentistry in America requires a foreign dentist (not just a Nigerian dentist) to come to America, sit for National Board for Dental Education (NBDE) exam, pass it and study for 2 years before acquiring DDS or DMD afterwhich the dental graduate will get a licence to practise.

Also for medicine, you start writing the exam in a foreign country, then pass it, come to America and start residency. It's all different strokes for different folks. Besides, passing the medical exam is still not easy. Let's be contented with where God has put us to bring a positive change to humanity.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by holyprime: 5:12pm On Jun 03, 2020
horpeyemmi66:

Hi, I believe Smartmed is reasoning from the angle of the ease of getting out of the country. It's relatively easier to leave Nigeria as a Medical Doctor than as a Dental Surgeon. This is perhaps the reason why he considers switching not necessarily because of a perceived dichotomy.

There's actually a huge difference in the cost of exams as a summarized below:
Medical Doctor
PLAB 1: £237

PLAB 2: £875

Total: £1,112 (N530,320) ; as compared with

Dentist/Dental Surgeon
ORE 1/ LDS 1: £806/ £850

ORE 2/ LDS 2: £2,929/ £2, 940

Total: £3,735 (N 1,781,250)/ £3,790 (N1,804, 480)

Where £1= N476.907

Another thing, venue for the exams. PLAB1 can be written in Nigeria (Lagos, Abuja and Enugu) and even Ghana (if you don't get a seat in Nigeria or register late). PLAB2 is written at Manchester, United Kingdom.

For ORE1, the exam's venue is the King's College, London. While ORE2 is written at the Eastman's Dental Institute, the Dental School affiliated to the University College London. Both parts of the LDS exams are written in London.

However submissions made by you and Aquilapriscilla were very pertinent.

PS: Fees covering Tickets, Visas, Hotel Bookings, Yellow fever card, NARIC statements etc were not considered.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Deeemphasis01: 6:04am On Jun 04, 2020
sir,sending you my number means we might get to know each other and i dont want that because this ambition of mine is something i vowed to keep as secret from everyone apart from my parent.no one will know... especially in school.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Froshchuksswart(m): 9:29am On Jun 04, 2020
What of Lagusta The guy that started this thread, that man should be a either a senior registrar or a consultant now ooo, he his such a HERO
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 9:30am On Jun 04, 2020
Deeemphasis01:
sir,sending you my number means we might get to know each other and i dont want that because this ambition of mine is something i vowed to keep as secret from everyone apart from my parent.no one will know... especially in school.
As implicit as this seems, I get it. Wishing you the best man.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kingexcellence(m): 2:23pm On Jun 04, 2020
ejehijustice:
Good evening boss... I need to reach you and ask some questions about UDUS MBBS/BDS... Here is my whatsapp number 07039548938. I look forward to hearing from you

pls mail me on seyeogunlana100@gmail.com
let me lnow when you've sent a mail
cheers
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by khingTony(m): 2:39pm On Jun 04, 2020
Froshchuksswart:
I'm a PRECLINICAL dental student(200l) we were about randing up first semester before the pandemic, guy I want to correct something,Dentistry cutoff is only low in UNN(maybe because people don't know about the profession in South east),i remember getting Dentistry with a jamb score of 297 self in UNN 2018,guy if you go to southwest schools like OAU UI an UNILAG the cutoff is next after medicine no other course in COLLEGE OF MEDICINE beat dentistry cutoff apart from MEDICINE Again from 2019 set Dentistry is now competitive they are only 44 in '025 set now they were 100+ unn reduced them some months after they were admitted(their caps change to other departments to like physiology,med rehab,anatomy and physiology) and again this ones about entering for 2020 they scored very high I know about 5 people aspiring for dentistry with over 320 in UTME

chuks hwfa na
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Deeemphasis01: 2:48pm On Jun 04, 2020
thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zeeknow3245(m): 2:53pm On Jun 04, 2020
Kingexcellence:

My whatsapp number is 07062534725 send me urs
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 7:18pm On Jun 04, 2020
Froshchuksswart:
What of Lagusta The guy that started this thread, that man should be a either a senior registrar or a consultant now ooo, he his such a HERO

lol, i am not interested in residency training in nigeria jare, i just want to make as much money as possible and enjoy my life

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 04, 2020
Lagusta:

lol, i am not interested in residency training in nigeria jare, i just want to make as much money as possible and enjoy my life
but sir i thought attaining the position of consultant was the holy grail
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrEgghead(m): 7:32pm On Jun 04, 2020
Smartmed:

but sir i thought attaining the position of consultant was the holy grail
Everyone will not become consultants...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 04, 2020
Zeeknow3245:

now this is very bad it makes room for unhealthy competition and reduces the credibility of the course as every tom dick and harry is a med student
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 04, 2020
TeflonBlixx:

Guy. Dental Education is really expensive. That's why the carrying capacity is low for all the universities offering it. I read a blog sometime ago about a student dentist complaining that the tool they were using I'm their lab is just five and they were up to 40 or so in number. You can see that kinda limitation.

Dental Education is very very expensive. US dental students have to borrow large amounts of loans to put them through dental school, a major disadvantage of dentistry in the US.
apart from availability of equipment dentistry requires just a little number of students because its a one on one teaching technique that cannot accomodate a large crowd

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 04, 2020
Lagusta:

lol make sense
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ejehijustice(m): 7:58am On Jun 05, 2020
Kingexcellence:

pls mail me on seyeogunlana100@gmail.com
let me lnow when you've sent a mail
cheers
sent boss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Froshchuksswart(m): 8:25am On Jun 05, 2020
khingTony:

chuks hwfa na

Boss I dey ooo and you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by darwin66109: 12:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
Froshchuksswart:
I'm a PRECLINICAL dental student(200l) we were about randing up first semester before the pandemic, guy I want to correct something,Dentistry cutoff is only low in UNN(maybe because people don't know about the profession in South east),i remember getting Dentistry with a jamb score of 297 self in UNN 2018,guy if you go to southwest schools like OAU UI an UNILAG the cutoff is next after medicine no other course in COLLEGE OF MEDICINE beat dentistry cutoff apart from medic wine Again from 2019 set Dentistry is now competitive they are only 44 in '025 set now they were 100+ unn reduced them some months after they were admitted(their caps change to other departments to like physiology,med rehab,anatomy and physiology) and again this ones about entering for 2020 they scored very high I know about 5 people aspiring for dentistry with over 320 in UTME

Pls any idea of d requirements for UNN DE dentistry if d accept 2.2
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Penboy: 4:46pm On Jun 05, 2020
Lagusta:

Being a consultant offers you the most pay in medicine nau.
Or you intend doing business?

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.