Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,429 members, 7,800,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:27 AM

Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC (13828 Views)

Ambode Inaugurates Olanrewaju Adigun-Fagbohun VC Of LASU (photos) / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois / Prof Ilesanmi Adeshida Named As VC / Provost Of Univ Of Illnois, Urbana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Shaw007(m): 4:21pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

He is still the VC Academic Affairs at UI-Champaign. The guy before him was also a black dude. Heck, a good number of the Officials at UI(Chicago, Urbana, Springfield) happen to be black. I think it is an Illinois thing.
but he has to be d 1st one of African origin,eh?
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by segzicres(m): 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
It's a feat for nigeria, not "yoruba" ppl.......nigerians shld b happy. DND
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Shaw007(m): 4:25pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch:

Look, if you cannot think and you dont have anything to contribute or say, JA! Dont try to use my post to make your dumb unintelligible brain seem intelligent.

He is the best man for the job. He has both Academic and research experience, and will not be in that position if he lacked integrity or leadership skills. He will be able to revamp and upgrade our electricity problems.
cai!! Jesus christ. . .this is the BADDEST bashing i'v seen on NL 2dya,chei!!
GUy u be mayweather?? See punches na!
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Ariyke: 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2012
Desola: What's all this jubilation for now? The man is a professor of Engineering yet Naija can't boast of a bridge or anything engineering in nature to advance the country or the world at large and we are rejoicing at another of our brains being drained by the west.

His achievement is only for him and his family and America at large. How does this impact on Africa or even Nigeria?
Oshisko.

But for what it's worth sha, it shows that Yorubas get brain, kilode? grin
grin
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by barikay: 4:39pm On Sep 17, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Even in Nigeria,we all have a state,a local government,a town,a village or a street where we come from.Anyways,it's good to know that the VC is a Nigerian from Ondo state.Even kenyas are proud of Obama
I'm seek of this man. He has never and wil never make any meaningful contribution than tribalism. He became noticeable for his tribalistic comments since 2010. Gosh! u irritate
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by mbhs139(m): 4:41pm On Sep 17, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Omo yoruba ni mi o. . .swagger

meaning what? monkey
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by mbhs139(m): 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2012
Kobojunkie:

No, He is still the VC of Academic Affairs. This article even says that. He was the Dean of Engineering before this. And I don't think this appointment is as recent as it is being made here in this article.

who is this kobojunkie?
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bankyblue(m): 4:56pm On Sep 17, 2012
fstranger:

Dude stop living vicariously through other people's achievements.

When will you learn to be your own man?

#### inferiority complex
why re u taking it personal now. this thing no be fight,
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bankyblue(m): 5:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
hmmm. . . . nigerians and tribe stuff. this can never stop, and that is why we re not moving forward in this country. imagin this small write up causing such a big issues of triba war. God help us o
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by juman(m): 5:31pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch: Nigerian's need to go and prostrate and beg him to come and oversee electricity in Nigeria. tongue. shocked shocked shocked. The guy is well achieved in the Electrical Engineering field. shocked shocked shocked cry

Hmmmm.

The immediate former power minister was good, but made a bloody and greedy mistake.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by deols(f): 5:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
Does this achievement benefit Nigeria or Nigerians in anyway? Just asking o.

It would be good if a scientist would make a breakthrough and give it a Nigerian name.

Something like deols's syndrome wink or nijarite undecided
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by greatgod2012(f): 5:36pm On Sep 17, 2012
im always happy when i hear this type of news frm my pple over there.

1 Like

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ilesanmi Adesida (born 1949, Ifon, Ondo State, Nigeria) is a naturalized American[1] physicist of Nigerian descent. He is the Donald Biggar Willett Professor of Engineering[2] and the Dean, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign;[3] and since 2007, a member of the board of Fluor Corporation.[4][5][6] In May 2012, the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois selected Adesida to be the next vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost of the Urbana campus; he will assume his new position on August 15, 2012.

Adesida's field of academic research is nanotechnology with special emphasis on high speed devices used in communications. He has held posts as director of the Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, director of the Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, professor of materials science and engineering, professor of electrical and computer engineering, professor of the Beckman Institute of Advanced Science and Technology and research professor of the Coordinated Science Laboratory, all at the University of Illinois. Adesida earned his bachelor’s (1974), master’s (1975), and doctoral (1979) degrees in electrical engineering from the University of California, Berkeley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilesanmi_Adesida
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bigfrancis21: 5:52pm On Sep 17, 2012
Well, this is good news for prospective Nigerian international students like me who wish to study at UI, Chicago. Definitely, our applications stand to be more easily approved. cheesy
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by airmark(m): 6:42pm On Sep 17, 2012
Yorubas have several industrious professors abroad. Kudos for doin us proud.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bros856: 7:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
Villagers in Nigeria, we are our problem. This tribal sentiment has completely finish Nigeria. In America they call themself Americans not Texas or Carlifonia etc... You hear them say God bless America but in Nigeria what you hear is that, that's an Igbo man, that's Yoruba, Hausa and so on..... When will Nigerians advance out of our closet.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Pukkah: 7:06pm On Sep 17, 2012
Congrats Prof Adesida.

There are so many Nigerians that have the potentials to be as great or even greater but the operating environment is hostile. This is why we need to speedily upgrade our physical and human infrastructure in order to actualize the rich potentials of Nigerians.

As for the tribalists, know that discrimination does not build a nation. Even if you split the country into ten, tribalism is an unending thing. Love your tribe and love others as well. Condemn the bad ones regardless of whether or not they are in your tribe.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 17, 2012
Nigerians Abroad continue to inspire me cool
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by darkgemini: 7:28pm On Sep 17, 2012
I knew, I would open this thread and find bigotry; I wasn't disappointed undecided

Congrats Prof. Adesida.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by UyiIredia(m): 7:53pm On Sep 17, 2012
SMH at some stupid people trying to tribalise the achievements of a Nigerian in the diaspora.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
It's like they pay seun to post to the front page I wrote this since yesterday and it Neva made front page Abi caucus thing dey naira land no abeg yarn me make I hear
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by sigmundfreud(m): 8:41pm On Sep 17, 2012
bigfrancis21: Well, this is good news for prospective Nigerian international students like me who wish to study at UI, Chicago. Definitely, our applications stand to be more easily approved. cheesy
Better read ur book and stop looking for 'parapo'.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by sigmundfreud(m): 8:43pm On Sep 17, 2012
Uyi Iredia: SMH at some stupid people trying to tribalise the achievements of a Nigerian in the diaspora.
Abi o! The guy is more American than Nigerian.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Limaoscar: 8:53pm On Sep 17, 2012
Yoruba landing!!!!

The Kings of Nigeria, there are two people in Nigeria; Yoruba and the rest.

Follow our lead.

Una don start this una stewpid tribal war again ni?
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by member479760: 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2012
He is not a Nigerian, he is an American. if you are not American enough you can get that job.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by havilahmax(m): 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pls let not derail the beauty of this topic by being tribalistic,at least the man is a Nigerian and we are all Nigerians.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 17, 2012
fstranger:

1.) Dude you went to FUTA . . . How many successful people go/went to FUTA? Zilch. You are just another one of the many losers from the FUTA warehouse

2.) You cant even write well? Dude, what else do we need to know you are big time failure?

3.) And you seem to always try to validate yourself via other people's achievements, especially people far remote from you. That doesnt necessarily scream success or does it? You are failure. You will always be, Deal with it FUTA boy!

Good one---let Nigerian graduates show they attended or attend a university with only proficiency in English language---I will be very glad.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by NosaHenry(m): 9:46pm On Sep 17, 2012
He is a naturalized American and he has virtually lived all his life there. He is more or less an American than been a Nigerian. Bravo to him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Oau Truly The Most Beautiful Campus In 9ja? / Kwarapoly Nabs Cybercafe Owner For Helping Students Forge Certificates / UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.