Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC (13827 Views)

Ambode Inaugurates Olanrewaju Adigun-Fagbohun VC Of LASU (photos) / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois / Prof Ilesanmi Adeshida Named As VC / Provost Of Univ Of Illnois, Urbana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by ajanaku2(m): 9:54pm On Sep 17, 2012
Nosa-Henry:
He is a naturalized American and he has virtually lived all his life there. He is more or less an American than been a Nigerian. Bravo to him.

The fact still remains...He's a Yoruba Man!

1 Like

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Afam4eva(m): 9:55pm On Sep 17, 2012
ajanaku2:

The fact still remains...He's a Yoruba Man!
Who's arguing about that?
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by ajanaku2(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2012
Black Mamba: A Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Adesida made history last month by becoming the first black Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the well-respected University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in the United States.

Born in Ondo State, Prof Adesida is a Nigerian engineer whose outstanding work in the field of Nanotechnology has received much acclaim in the scientific community.

He obtained his Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and subsequently went on to develop a body of work in the processing of semiconductors and other materials at the nanometer-scale level.

After his studies, he worked in various capacities at what is now known as the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility and the School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. He was also the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.

Commenting on his recently appointed role, Prof Adesida said: “I’m honoured and humbled to be selected as provost of this great campus. This is something I take very seriously. I know how to work very hard and I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.”

Prof Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is also the past-president of IEEE Electron Devices Society.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/16/nigerias-professor-becomes-first-black-vc-of-university-of-illinois/

May the Soul of Chief Obafemi Awolowo continue to rest in Peace!
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Sheguama: 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
2mch:

Look, if you cannot think and you dont have anything to contribute or say, JA! Dont try to use my post to make your dumb unintelligible brain seem intelligent.

O boy u wicked. Dat "JA!" In ya comment don make me laff so tay my wife wan take off.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by sage2(m): 1:09am On Sep 18, 2012
I couldn't confirm it from their website. Currently, that position is occupied by someone else.

http://illinois.edu/about/admin/admin.html
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by logica(m): 2:27am On Sep 18, 2012
2mch:

He is the best man for the job that we have at the moment. Am sure if they give it to him he will do well. Someone in his position will not let PHCN fools escape that easily. undecided. His whole academic experience has been abroad and it has been through hardwork, not connection or shady experience and degrees.
He cannot play the politics involved.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by cfours: 3:12am On Sep 18, 2012
The guy should check his youtube page. It has some anti-semitic and questionable stuff in it. The stuff is not by him but he should watch who and what he subscribes to. It's going to be a real akoba adaba if he's not careful.
If anyone know him or his email should contact him about removing it.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLELmEGg4wWyR_22DA2Yagg
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by carolgreen702: 5:22am On Sep 18, 2012
two people in Nigeria; Yoruba and the rest.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2012
Desola: What's all this jubilation for now? The man is a professor of Engineering yet Naija can't boast of a bridge or anything engineering in nature to advance the country or the world at large and we are rejoicing at another of our brains being drained by the west.

His achievement is only for him and his family and America at large. How does this impact on Africa or even Nigeria?

Oshisko.

But for what it's worth sha, it shows that Yorubas get brain, kilode? grin

As I was reading ur post ,I was happy u have repented until the bolded. But of course yorubas get brain just like any other human being abi are they Apes grin
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by jelikay: 9:01am On Sep 18, 2012
PROUDLY AKURE. We are proud of you. OMO EKUN

1 Like

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by jelikay: 9:04am On Sep 18, 2012
PROUDLY AKURE.We are proud of you.OMO EKUN
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by preciousoz: 9:31am On Sep 18, 2012
Congratz Prof. Proud of U and Your Achievements.

This Man have been completely transformed (Education and Experience). His Name is still Nigerian, but I can bet he does not think like a typical Nigerian.

Getting tired of these tribal Monkeys in NL. It would be better if You keep your Mediocrity to yourselves.

We should all learn and at least be happy that there's at least some good news about Nigerians living abroad and not some guys in deathrow in malaysia,china or singapore or 419ers or prostitution rings in Europe.

May God help Us.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by bobby2270(m): 9:45am On Sep 18, 2012
He is both Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost.
His email address is below if you want to ask him

Ilesanmi Adesida
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost

217 Swanlund Administration Building
601 E. John Street
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: (217) 244-4545
Fax: (217) 244-5639
iadesida@illinois.edu
Assistant:
Deb Kincaid, (217) 244-4545
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Israel5(m): 11:31am On Sep 18, 2012
bittyend: Yoruba landing!!!! cool

The Kings of Nigeria, there are two people in Nigeria; Yoruba and the rest.

Follow our lead. cool
u nid 2 wise up..yorubas cannot do witout d "REST"..U make me puke

Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Cyberknight: 12:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
Easy, people, easy. Prof. Adesida has attained a wonderful position, by Nigerian standards, congratulations.
Why is this news on the web, is what puzzles me?
Firstly, as many good people have pointed out, the dear professor has spent ALL his formative years abroad, in their system, so he really actually climbed the ladder to the position he occupies today. Please let us remember that in civilized countries, these positions are not like the way they are in Nigeria where the civil service is full of infighting and killing, and where people do not actually have room to realize their potential, in the absence of a godfather, "connections", or an Okija shrine subscription. Elections to the position of VC in Niaja are do or die affairs. I'm willing to bet that it was not so in the University that has just promoted this gentleman.

Secondly, the position in question. In Nigeria, you become a VC, then you shut down the nearest cathedral/mosque/Pentecostal worship center in your town for a huge "thanksgiving" service to show off your newly-acquired wealth and train of official cars. Abroad, nobody even knows the name of the university president or vice chancellor, or whatever the head of the institution is called. Except for in the high profile schools, their salaries, like that of the U.S president also, can be earned by a suitably experienced doctor or whizz kid IT guy. So even though Prof. Adesida has acheived something wonderful by the standards of our bent, hopeless society, in the society he is living in he has done no more than to acheive his due.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by blackboi(m): 1:00pm On Sep 18, 2012
Black Mamba: Nigerians making waves.....
Waves of Glory cheesy
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
That Is My Uncle, That Is My SURNAME. 'ADESIDA' We are One Big, Happy, Intelligent Family. Congrats Uncle, Yipeee!!!
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by cfours: 12:47am On Sep 19, 2012
Cyberknight: Easy, people, easy. Prof. Adesida has attained a wonderful position, by Nigerian standards, congratulations.
Why is this news on the web, is what puzzles me?
Firstly, as many good people have pointed out, the dear professor has spent ALL his formative years abroad, in their system, so he really actually climbed the ladder to the position he occupies today. Please let us remember that in civilized countries, these positions are not like the way they are in Nigeria where the civil service is full of infighting and killing, and where people do not actually have room to realize their potential, in the absence of a godfather, "connections", or an Okija shrine subscription. Elections to the position of VC in Niaja are do or die affairs. I'm willing to bet that it was not so in the University that has just promoted this gentleman.

Secondly, the position in question. In Nigeria, you become a VC, then you shut down the nearest cathedral/mosque/Pentecostal worship center in your town for a huge "thanksgiving" service to show off your newly-acquired wealth and train of official cars. Abroad, nobody even knows the name of the university president or vice chancellor, or whatever the head of the institution is called. Except for in the high profile schools, their salaries, like that of the U.S president also, can be earned by a suitably experienced doctor or whizz kid IT guy. So even though Prof. Adesida has acheived something wonderful by the standards of our bent, hopeless society, in the society he is living in he has done no more than to acheive his due.

OMG!! what a backward mentality you have. WTH!!
we should not congratulate Ilesamni Adedisa because he can't shut down a cathedral to show off corrupt wealth and swiss accounts?
Ilesanmi Adedisa got to where he is because of his exceptional professional achievement. It is not easy for a black person to attain such posts talkless of an African immigrant. Let us give praise to whom praise is due, abeg. he has attained a position where he is able to influence the direction of a major public university in the US. with great power comes great responsibility.
and this is not Nigeria, bro. even the richest people in the US don't go about flaunting it like they do in naija. unless they're insecure.
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by Nobody: 2:32am On Sep 19, 2012
modelmike7: That Is My Uncle, That Is My SURNAME. 'ADESIDA' We are One Big, Happy, Intelligent Family. Congrats Uncle, Yipeee!!!
ye ma claim/form familiarity.hehehehehehehehe everybody is a broda to a succesful man at least in d nigerian context,abi if d guy was a drug trafficker,rapist,armed robber or even related to one of d beasts dat killed cynthia will u stil claim familiarity.hehehehehehehe na u wiz kid sing dis song 4: ye ma form familiarity.hehehehehe,okugbe cheesy
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by PRESERVER(m): 3:00am On Sep 19, 2012
I'm proud being from the Adesida family.

Black Mamba: A Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Adesida made history last month by becoming the first black Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the well-respected University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in the United States.

Born in Ondo State, Prof Adesida is a Nigerian engineer whose outstanding work in the field of Nanotechnology has received much acclaim in the scientific community.

He obtained his Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and subsequently went on to develop a body of work in the processing of semiconductors and other materials at the nanometer-scale level.

After his studies, he worked in various capacities at what is now known as the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility and the School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. He was also the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.

Commenting on his recently appointed role, Prof Adesida said: “I’m honoured and humbled to be selected as provost of this great campus. This is something I take very seriously. I know how to work very hard and I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.”

Prof Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is also the past-president of IEEE Electron Devices Society.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/09/16/nigerias-professor-becomes-first-black-vc-of-university-of-illinois/
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by brownsug(f): 9:51am On Sep 19, 2012
bittyend: Yoruba landing!!!! cool

The Kings of Nigeria, there are two people in Nigeria; Yoruba and the rest.

Follow our lead. cool
Bros a tun ti bere he is a nigerian dats d ideal spirit
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by blackmale(m): 1:38pm On Sep 19, 2012
omo oba,,, akure is proud of you..
Re: Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC by blackmale(m): 1:43pm On Sep 19, 2012
@ preserver and model mike re you guys adesida?.....interesting to know tht cousins re in nairaland..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Oau Truly The Most Beautiful Campus In 9ja? / Kwarapoly Nabs Cybercafe Owner For Helping Students Forge Certificates / UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.