Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,200 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? (11248 Views)

Professional Exams Vs Masters Which Is Better? / What Professional Skill Will Be In HOT DEMAND 2016 / Mobil Oil Jobs For Fresh Grads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2008
I am a graduate of Business Admin (2:2) and presently working
in a Pension Funds Administration (PFA) outfit in Lagos. It will be
a year soon that I started working there but the problem is that
Iv never wanted any other sector than the oil and gas sector undecided.

I'm the hard working type and don't know how to get the attention
of some of these oil and gas companies.

The question is "[b]WHAT PROFESSIONAL EXAMS DO I NEED TO DO
IN ORDER TO FIT INTO THIS SECTOR?" I am already preparing to write
ACCA some time this year.

Nairalanders, I need your advice,
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by aahmed112: 4:52pm On Jan 11, 2008
o well. . .d'u mean u always preferred administration within the oil and gas sector? No offence, but u come aross like its for d money, sounding like every other fresh graduate in naija. I guess u jus need to get better at wot u do nw. You in an accounting role nw n going 4 your ACCA. . .mite b good for a move 2 their accounting dept!!

In summary, u jus need 2 b qualified! Take a look at some of their job postings n work towards satisfyin their criteria. But Ill advise u get better in your current role (im guessing accounting), more experience n u should b able2 pull s'thing off. . .not forgetting u need a good luck charm!  wink
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by sagitarius(m): 9:13pm On Jan 11, 2008
D only exam i'll advise u 2 take for any job in oil & gas firm is a note from d presidency. with dat, ure sure of gettin one
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by lumideezle(m): 9:45pm On Jan 11, 2008
u all this dude needs solutions mean names of exams not wat u guys re saying please if u dont have nothing to say y nt just pass instead of talking.?***
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Etin(f): 10:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
There is nothing wrong in wanting to work in the oil sector even if its because it pays more. What is important is you know what you want and are willing to take steps to get it. A Big Cogratulations to you in advance. You will get there. I recently learnt from my husband about Geographic Information Service (GIS) course. This is a skill highly regarded in the oil sector. This is a link to one of the free online courses I found online. All the best and God Bless You.

http://www.lib.calpoly.edu/collections/gis/training.html
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by diehard(m): 11:21pm On Jan 11, 2008
There are diff career path in the oil and gas sector, it depends on which one you choose,i'm currently working in an oil company and as a safety engr. so the courses i take are related to my choosen career path. there are accountant in the oil and gas sector as well as lawyer, doctor etc. what is more important is get enough experience under your belt. and if you want a certificate to better your chances esp. if you are not in engineering get a course in any foreign univeristy (even if it's online course, though it cost money) in supply chain management or your field of choice. but please not it's not the best sector to work (belive me cos i'm there!)
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Bawss1(m): 8:25am On Jan 12, 2008
@aahmed112
No offence, but u come aross like its for d money, sounding like every other fresh graduate in naija. I guess u jus need to get better at wot u do nw.

whats wrong with wanting a job in a very lucrative industry? Should people settle for the "status quo" even when they can do better? shocked

1 Like

Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by chx: 11:22am On Jan 12, 2008
Experience matters. Get it and look for some certifications in your field and you will surely get there. Best of luck.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Dexlomo: 6:46pm On Jan 12, 2008
Hello,

All I will want to suggest is that be the best in what you do and if the opportunity comes, then you move.

Besides, wherever you are, unless you don't want to be an active player in that industry that is the only situation in which you won't improve your qualifications. Therefore, I am of the opinion that you start building a career in a unit of your choice and write every necessary exams that leads to advancement in that career.

Finally, if it is for the money, then I will want to disappoint you by saying it doesn't make a difference. The reason is because, irrespective of how much you earn, you may still remain poor. To me, poverty is a thing of the mind and not the amount of money you have. This in essence implies that, if you do not have a good savings and investment habit, irrespective of what you earn, your status remains same.

Remember in economics, for a closed economy model without gouvernment intervention,
Income (Y) = C + S where C = Consumption and S = Savings, also

(Y) = C + I where C = Consumption and I = Investment,

equating both equations above shows to you that S = I. (Though in an open ecomomy there are some differences as both are dependent on different rate of interest and marginal propensity).

Therefore, with the little money you are earning, learn how to save and invest as such, in the nearest future, you will be able to stand tall beside those who earn more irrespective of the differences in the physical cash.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by tobaaro(m): 6:58pm On Jan 12, 2008
@ Dexlomo
Thank u jare Adam Smith! grin
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by FKseun(m): 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2008
Hi
Admitting what one needs publicly requires a lot of guts. I respect you for this. I am working in one of the multinational oil & gas companies. The competition for getting employed in this sector has gotten stiffer since the industry started applying the local content rule in all its dealings (contracts, employment, social responsibility, etc). Unlike those days when they had their head quarters in Lagos and application was done by writtten mail. Now it's online and with a certain quota going to graduates from the host communities. I am not saying graduates from other regions are not employed. Don't get me wrong. Your best bet would be to check the websites of the multinationals regularly and even submit your application even when no vacancy exist. You shouldn't be surprised if you receive an invitation to an aptitude test. What they do these days is to check their database of applications and contact those that meet their requirements. The truth of the matter is that too much focus is beamed on this industry and most of the companies are publicity-shy. Especially when it comes to scrutinity. It happens regularly. I wish you good luck.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by tunji4u: 3:01am On Jan 14, 2008
I admire your courage but i ll advice you get better at what you do now. oil sector is not the best, its only one of the best. very soon, pensions in Nigeria ll become a big thing. take charge. kiss
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 14, 2008
@Etin
Thank u Etin, may God bless u.
@Tunji4u, FkSeun
Ur all very encouraging, thanks all the same smiley

@sagitarius
If u have nothing reasonable to say, then
dont say nothing!!!
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by sakin4life(m): 10:44am On Jan 14, 2008
There's only one road to success and I can see u going in that direction with ur ACCA. My advice is u consider CISA too and make sure u have atleast one strong point in computing (any area at all).
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by rafcrown(m): 11:55pm On Jan 15, 2008
LONG LEG
CONNECTION
MAN KNOW MAN
SPECIAL NOTE FROM BABA MUTUM
FAMILY LINK TO ALLAN GORO
NOT PECULIAR TO NIGERIA ALONE
ITS POSSIBLE IN UK TOO
TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE
WISH U BEST OF LUCK AND DONT GIVE UP PRAY HARD AS WELL
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Gwazah(m): 10:29am On Jan 16, 2008
Don't be fool the only way is Connections " Government Father"
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Prince22(m): 3:59pm On Jan 17, 2008
Dukeolumde

Don't be discourage nor tire, u don't need any thing so special

If working with oil and gas company is your desire

There is a GOD that neglect natural law and impose super natural law to do his own things in a divine way

He will be ur banner
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Hove: 10:40am On Jan 19, 2008
I actually want 2 knw what 2 expect in NNPC graduate/trainee aptitude, i'm a nu member and findin it difficult 2 paste 4 all mmbers, help  thnx.

Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Hove: 10:59am On Jan 19, 2008
Can anyone be far too kind on what 2 expect in NNPC graduate/trainee aptitude (engineering/tecnical). Heard it might be out this year and best is too start studying before chips are down. Thnx.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Alphazee(f): 12:54pm On Jan 29, 2008
It depends on the type of OIL.
There are Palm Oil and Palm Kernel Oil companies (such as Presco and Okomu Oil).
There are also Ground Nut and Vegetable Oil Companies (Remember Sunola).
(If you're a man of God smiley).

But if you're the Worldly type, ofcourse there are the Greasy Oil companies where dem Funsho, Ayoola, Phil, etc were recentlty alledged to have greased their palms (through Wilbros), tongue.

Pls be specific.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Chizzyo(f): 5:54pm On Feb 06, 2008
Hi. You don't necessarily have to change jobs, I think the thing to do is learn to be very good at what you are doing already, but if you want to change carrier path then maybe you shoul consider taking CAPM exam (Associate in Project Management). It's globally recognized and highly valued by employers as there are not much project managers available to meet the demand. You could read more about it on www.abrpm.com. Goodluck!
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by RealMan3(m): 4:01pm On Feb 12, 2008
Alphazee:

There are Palm Oil and Palm Kernel Oil companies (such as Presco and Okomu Oil).

But if you're the Worldly type, ofcourse there are the Greasy Oil companies where them Funsho, Ayoola, Phil, etc were recentlty alledged to have greased their palms (through Wilbros), tongue.

Please be specific.

The poster is talking about vaseline oil company smiley smiley cheesy

On a more serious note,

@ Poster

You can take a ''level 3'' HSE course to be a safety officer in a servicing or producing company alongside your university degree

Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by blinx4real(m): 4:16pm On Feb 12, 2008
I'm assumiing the oil u r refering to is oil n gas indsurty,
they don't put so much emphasis on certificaations but if you do have a masters degree from a foreign univ that will give u some advantage. But on a personal note my advice is that even in ur current establishment/organisation learn as much as you can and become good at what u do, then you can call d shots and write your own check at whatever level you chose and any industry you desire.

Best of luck
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by vincey(m): 4:16pm On Feb 13, 2008
The professional Exam u need is

GCE grin grin

U self want chop oil money. shocked
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by carnal: 2:52pm On Jul 15, 2008
@dukeolumde, since u read bus. adm. u can take Chartered institute of purchasing and supply (UK) dat qualifies u as a supply chain/procurement/category engineer person and dat will giv u an oil and gas job, i work in an oil gas and i kn wat C.I.P.S means to every oil company
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by ohwofasa(m): 5:59pm On Sep 21, 2008
u dont need more exams 2 get an oil job,wat u need is the Grace of God
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 23, 2008
PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Go and sleep Juhhhhhhhh

If you loved the oil and gas sector so much, u should have opted for technical/engineering major. There are still billions of engineers out there who can't get jobs and u're here talking sumthin sumthin. Go get an an Engineering degree and then you can talk.
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 10, 2015
Alphazee:

But if you're the Worldly type, ofcourse there are the Greasy Oil companies where dem Funsho, Ayoola, Phil, etc were recentlty alledged to have greased their palms (through Wilbros), tongue.

Pls be specific.

Am game now. I noooor need am again. Funny ugrin grin grin grin
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2015
Chizzyo:
Hi. You don't necessarily have to change jobs, I think the thing to do is learn to be very good at what you are doing already, but if you want to change carrier path then maybe you shoul consider taking CAPM exam (Associate in Project Management). It's globally recognized and highly valued by employers as there are not much project managers available to meet the demand. You could read more about it on www.abrpm.com. Goodluck!

Have that already.. but am no longer searching grin grin
Re: What Professional Exams Do I Need For Oil Jobs? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2015
vincey:
The professional Exam u need is

GCE grin grin

U self want chop oil money. shocked

grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

I'm In Love With My Boss / Tips On Kpmg Nigeria Interviewing Process, Anyone? / VOA Fires Or Proposes Removal Of 15 Hausa Service Members Over Improper Payment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.