Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,389 members, 7,808,374 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Do You Consider Somalis As Black? - Culture (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Consider Somalis As Black? (135958 Views)

Somalis, Ethiopians, Eritreans Are Superior / Half Somalis (pictures) / Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo: Isnt it odd that people who look like Menelik aint Black, while people in the Western Hemisphere who look like the guy in the picture below were/ are classified as 'Negro' and also identified themselves as such?

Meet Dr W. E. B. Dubois, foremost Negro activist, Pan-Africanist and historian of the 19th and early 20th century.

It has a lot to do with self perception. I' going to chime in with something you find interesting. But first I'm wondering...do Nigerians generally classify themselves as merely Black or prefer to give distinction to their true identity?
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

It has a lot to do with self perception. I' going to chime in with something you find interesting. But first I'm wondering...do Nigerians generally classify themselves as merely Black or prefer to give distinction to their true identity?

Its really funny. In America and the West, one drop of 'Negro' blood makes you Black. In Africa, the slightest trace of non-Negro descent makes you non-black. I look at some Northern Sudanese 'non-blacks' and I want to laugh. Omar Bashir would be black if he was American

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'distinction to their true identity'. But, yes, Nigerians identify themselves as Black; no doubt about that.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 4:42pm On Oct 13, 2013
I want to remember that in Italy even north africans are black, I think it's because if they add the "brown" category a lot of Italians would fall into that LOL
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'distinction to their true identity'. But, yes, Nigerians identify themselves as Black; no doubt about that.

All Nigerians? By true identity I mean exactly that. Their nationality/ethnicity/tribe etc...over all that ( your TRUE identity) you choose "Black"?
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
and Rwandans consider themself black africans (I don't know how many shades of africans there are, I'm taking in consideration only 3 groups: black africans, white africans and indian african)

Nigerian POP culture (music and movies) are influencing Rwanda and in these times of development they are going to be considered the "standard"

so I think Rwandan tutsi are now far to claim their alleged horner ancestry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYcWzuNxsEY
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nyumba: I want to remember that in Italy even north africans are black, I think it's because if they add the "brown" category a lot of Italians would fall into that LOL

Yh, Southern Italy was invaded by the Andulusi Moors at one point in history. The farther North you go the more European they look.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

All Nigerians? By true identity I mean exactly that. Their nationality/ethnicity/tribe etc...over all that ( your TRUE identity) you choose "Black"?

Some Northern Nigerians groups are clearly an admixture (Fulanis, Kanuris, Shuwa). It appears that the Fulanis regarded themselves as 'white' in the past, if we are to believe early European writers.That notion seems to have died though.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Where being black is frowned down upon by most of the world, Nigerians don't have such an inferiority complex (some do most do not). Some do not classify themselves as black, most do. However, since Nigeria is a 99% black country, we typically classify one another by our ethnic groups, e.g. Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani (Fulbe), Tamasheq, Bini, Tiv, Igala, Idoma, Ibibio, Nupe, Shua, etc. etc.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Yh, Southern Italy was invaded by the Andulusi Moors at one point in history. The farther North you go the more European they look.
exactly
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 4:55pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

Some Northern Nigerians groups are clearly an admixture (Fulanis, Kanuris, Shuwa). It appears that the Fulanis regarded themselves as 'white' in the past, if we are to believe early European writers.That notion seems to have died though.

You have got to be joking, Fulani have never regarded themselves as white. Also on average Northern Nigerians are darker than Southern Nigerians.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 4:57pm On Oct 13, 2013
Also admixture of what? appreciate Africa for its diversity. We are black and have nothing white about us. There are very dark Fulani as there are lighter complexioned Fulani. This video highlights both light and dark-complexioned Fulani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_Wx3KdoO4&
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

You have got to be joking, Fulani have never regarded themselves as white. Also on average Northern Nigerians are darker than Southern Nigerians.

That is why I included the clause about European writers. I dont neccessarily believe Fulanis saw themselves as non-black.
Colonial White writers made the claim that Fulanis perceived themselves as 'white' and superior to the 'black' people they lived among, even when many of the Fulanis were extremely dark-skinned themselves.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

What I dont understand is why Africans should subscribe to White/Caucasoid Black/Negroid BS. Even scientifically speaking, race is more of a social construct than anything else.

You are African, Nigerian, and your ethnicity, your tribe, why swim through all that and to get to Black..

That identity is more significant than the word Black/White/etc will ever be.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

That is why I included the clause about European writers. I dont neccessarily believe Fulanis saw themselves as non-black.
Colonial White writers made the claim that Fulanis perceived themselves as 'white' and superior to the 'black' people they lived among, even when many of the Fulanis were extremely dark-skinned themselves.

Europeans and white people in general have done a great job of brainwashing black people worldwide. Fulani have always seen themselves as baleejo (black), however we see ourselves as Fulbe (Fulani) first.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

What I dont understand is why Africans should subscribe to White/Caucasoid Black/Negroid BS. Even scientifically speaking, race is more of a social construct than anything else.

You are African, Nigerian, and your ethnicity, your tribe, why swim through all that and to get to Black..

That identity is more significant than the word Black/White/etc will ever be.

I really dont think Nigerians are obsessed with blackness. This thread has gone the way it has because of one fellow's ranting about how Somalis aren't black and are superior to other Africans. I see myself as Nigerian and Igbo. i am only conscious of my blackness when interacting with people of a different colour.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
Fulaman198: Also admixture of what? appreciate Africa for its diversity. We are black and have nothing white about us. There are very dark Fulani as there are lighter complexioned Fulani. This video highlights both light and dark-complexioned Fulani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_Wx3KdoO4&

I may be wrong, but isnt there some genetic evidence that the Fulani M'bororo have a little Western Eurasian (Berber) blood (some 8%)? They are largely of West African origin though.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
yes, usually are Afro Americans those saying

BLACK AFRICAN AMERICAN AFRO ROOT MA ANCESTRY MA MOTHER ORIGINAL PEOPLE
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
Radoillo:

I may be wrong, but isnt there some genetic evidence that the Fulani M'bororo have a little Western Eurasian (Berber) blood (some 8%)? They are largely of West African origin though.

I am a Mbororo angry and if anything we have no more than 1% blood. Mbororo are of the Nomadic Fulani stock, the sedentary Fulani on the other hand may have more Berber blood. If we have any Berber blood (which is not European) then we got it from intermarrying with some Tuaregs. It is not common though to see a Fulani (Pullo) and a Tuareg (Kel-Tamashaq) marry one another though it does happen.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

Where being black is frowned down upon by most of the world, Nigerians don't have such an inferiority complex (some do most do not). Some do not classify themselves as black, most do. However, since Nigeria is a 99% black country, we typically classify one another by our ethnic groups, e.g. Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Fulani (Fulbe), Tamasheq, Bini, Tiv, Igala, Idoma, Ibibio, Nupe, Shua, etc. etc.

I classify myself as Somali over anything else. I am etcAfrican, Djiboutian, Somali, Cisse(tribe). In your home country, when people see you do they see a Fulani, a fellow Nigerian or do they see a"Black" Man?

I do not have a problem with the word Black. When I full out applications I tick the "Black" just like every other Somali and other Africans but as a person when I present myself I present myself as Somali or Djiboutian. How can I overlook my ethnicity for "Black"? How can I forget my forefathers and true heritage for "Black"? How is it an inferiority complex to put heritage (MYSELF) first? Anyone can be "Black", Black is everything and Black is nothing, but my heritage is ME, always.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 5:37pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I classify myself as Somali over anything else. I am etcAfrican, Djiboutian, Somali, Cisse(tribe). In your home country, when people see you do they see a Fulani, a fellow Nigerian or do they see a"Black" Man?

I do not have a problem with the word Black. When I full out applications I tick the "Black" just like every other Somali and other Africans but as a person when I present myself I present myself as Somali or Djiboutian. How can I overlook my ethnicity for "Black"? How can I forget my forefathers and true heritage for "Black"? How is it an inferiority complex to put heritage (MYSELF) first? Anyone can be "Black", Black is everything and Black is nothing, but my heritage is ME, always.

What you say is true. So I will elaborate on what you say.

In Nigeria, everyone is Nigerian, therefore if an Igbo man/woman or Hausa man/woman or Yoruba man/woman were to describe me they would probably say "that Fulani man". Now in a Western country like America or England they would say 1 of 2 things maybe 3 if they want to be offensive. They would either call me "That black man" or "That African man" or that "insert derogatory N-word here"

What I am called is based on the region I'm in. Let me say I go to a non-African black country like Jamaica or Haiti, they would probably say "that Nigerian man" because to them they know nothing about Fulbe people (Fulani people) but they do realize I'm black just like them but they are living in the Caribbean so they recognize me as an "African" or a "Nigerian". In West African countries like Niger, Mali, Senegal, Nigeria, any West African country for that matter I would be labeled as a Fulani man.

What we were labeled is based on where we are located.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 5:46pm On Oct 13, 2013
The problem is that we have a troll with a western mind and with western slurs, placing western toughts in an African contest and trying to make them fit in that contest

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

What you say is true. So I will elaborate on what you say.

In Nigeria, everyone is Nigerian, therefore if an Igbo man/woman or Hausa man/woman or Yoruba man/woman were to describe me they would probably say "that Fulani man". Now in a Western country like America or England they would say 1 of 2 things maybe 3 if they want to be offensive. They would either call me "That black man" or "That African man" or that "insert derogatory N-word here"

What I am called is based on the region I'm in. Let me say I go to a non-African black country like Jamaica or Haiti, they would probably say "that Nigerian man" because to them they know nothing about Fulbe people (Fulani people) but they do realize I'm black just like them but they are living in the Caribbean so they recognize me as an "African" or a "Nigerian". In West African countries like Niger, Mali, Senegal, Nigeria, any West African country for that matter I would be labeled as a Fulani man.

What we were labeled is based on where we are located.

Exactly my point. Your countrymen see you as what you are: A Fulani. Other Africans see you as a Nigerian or Fulani depending on whether or not they're familiar with your ethnic group. Others still will a wider identification group identify you as an African. Why? Because they see that you're an African but do not know th[b][/b]at you're Nigerian/Fulani.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
^^^Accidental Submission

My point was the less a person knows about you, the wider a net is cast in how they identify you.

Black>African>Nationality>Ethnicity>Tribe>Family

Hence why I always get baffled when an African casts such a wide net on his own self knowingly. Your sense of self identification is far more important than how others label you.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 6:26pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul: ^^^Accidental Submission

My point was the less a person knows about you, the wider a net is cast in how they identify you.

Black>African>Nationality>Ethnicity>Tribe>Family

Hence why I always get baffled when an African casts such a wide net on his own self knowingly. Your sense of self identification is far more important than how others label you.

This is why I disapprove people like Bello Gu, a Ghanian singer that use racial slurs in his songs and fuel racism towards himself. He became a web star here in Italy
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nyumba: The problem is that we have a troll with a western mind and with western slurs, placing western toughts in an African contest and trying to make them fit in that contest

I would apologize on his behalf, but just as he does not speak for US, I cannot/will not presume to speak for him. The truth is there was a lot of ugliness and back and forth in this thread from all sides.

The subject matter is nothing short of idiotic. I don't care if people consider me black. Personally, I have a huge problem with mixed and Arab! If you want to be 100% accurate you will call me Somali and leave it at that. wink
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 6:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

I would apologize on his behalf, but just as he does not speak for US, I cannot/will not presume to speak for him. The truth is there was a lot of ugliness and back and forth in this thread from all sides.

The subject matter is nothing short of idiotic. I don't care if people consider me black. Personally, I have a huge problem with mixed and Arab! If you want to be 100% accurate you will call me Somali and leave it at that. wink
I'll do smiley
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nyumba: and Rwandans consider themself black africans (I don't know how many shades of africans there are, I'm taking in consideration only 3 groups: black africans, white africans and indian african)

Nigerian POP culture (music and movies) are influencing Rwanda and in these times of development they are going to be considered the "standard" smiley

so I think Rwandan tutsi are now far to claim their alleged horner ancestry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYcWzuNxsEY

Good@ "I'll do" smiley

I see this clip as more of westernization thing. But for the accent and bits of African language it looks almost looks like African American video. The guy dresses just as they do, same as a lot of Naija artists are doing.

Some Somali artists in the West are the same...straying from the truly cultural to the "modernised" versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deClZSVnLp8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdeClZSVnLp8&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-0JDwwqVQ
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Fulaman198(m): 8:44pm On Oct 13, 2013
EnlightenedSoul:

Good@ "I'll do" smiley

I see this clip as more of westernization thing. But for the accent and bits of African language it looks almost looks like African American video. The guy dresses just as they do, same as a lot of Naija artists are doing.

Some Somali artists in the West are the same...straying from the truly cultural to the "modernised" versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deClZSVnLp8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdeClZSVnLp8&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-0JDwwqVQ

The westernized music that Africans sing is a huge disgrace. But Africans love to be copycats
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 13, 2013
Fulaman198:

The westernized music that Africans sing is a huge disgrace. But Africans love to be copycats

Lol, I would agree I like the traditional sounds better. But I think it's inevitable to become influenced by the outside world, especially if you live outside your own country. In most cases, traditional music is kept well alive back home.

I like the following artist because of his ability to keep traditional and be innovative at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdw3KI1W2Y

Here he is again with the living Somali legend, Hudeidi. This has a more traditional instruments/sounds to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxbh6a3o8bA

Here's a concert back in Djibouti. Performing is the great Ahmad Naaji. This is traditional to the max! You might enjoy this. smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21kCyR1LFfc

1 Like

Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Ajuran: 10:30pm On Oct 13, 2013
Dhumarky faraha bii kapaxeeyn. Cajiib. Fyi your clan is cisse not your tribe, we are all somali and have one tribe.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 14, 2013
^^^ Mar hore man ma ogid? Get with the times bruv. Hmm, I think most Somalis consider Somali the ethnicity, and the 5 major classifications the tribes ( Cisse, Isaaq, Hawiye, Darood, Dir iyo Mirifle) and then of course each has its sub-tribes and it's sub sub-tribes. Somali as the tribe and Cisse as the clan makes it sound so much closer.
Re: Do You Consider Somalis As Black? by Nyumba(m): 12:10am On Oct 14, 2013
Yes, there is who makes commercial westernized music and who makes commercial traditional music,
like this man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwWfjPNHTKo

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66)

Post your photos of Igbo village houses here / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages / Teach Me Naija Slang Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.