Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,124 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term (1327 Views)

Ekiti Lawmakers Allege Buhari Offered Bribes To Impeach Fayose / Adeboye Curses Pastors Collecting Bribes From Politicians / We Were Offered Bribes To Rig Elections - Iwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by mutiu78(m): 1:28pm On Apr 13, 2006
Nigeria President 3rd term Issue

“We were offered $1m each to back third term”
This was a statement of the Leader of the Alliance for Democracy in the Nigerian House of Representatives; Mr. Wunmi Bewaji on Tuesday, 12th April 2006 in Abuja to [url=http://Punch Newspapers]Punch Newspapers [/url] correspondents.

In the report, it was cited that members of the House of Representatives may have been offered $1million each by forces within and outside the National Assembly to support the controversial move to extend the tenure of President Olusegun Obasanjo and governors beyond 2007.

He said, “They came and told me that they have provided $1million for each of us opposed to third term, like they provided for those in support.
“In my case, they said they we’re going to offer me an oil bloc in addition to $1million. But I told them that it is not a question of what I am going to gain. But mine is to ensure that we do not only have peace and stability in the country, but to protect our renascent democracy.”

My comment: it is very dishearten to hear that our leaders are ready to pay each member of our representatives $1 million, approximately 140 million Naira in a country where the youths are still roaming without hope of getting jobs or those who have jobs are been underpay.
I will like to ask “who are those forces?”

I will like to use this opportunity to call on[b] Nigerian youths [/b] to rise up to the occasion say no to the bribery and corruption in our nation. If President Obasanjo wants to rule for the 3rd term, our oil money should not be use to bribe our representatives.

I will like to use this opportunity to call on to rise up to the occasion in our nation. If President Obasanjo wants to rule for the 3 term, our oil money should not be use to bribe our representatives.

Time will tell.
Re: AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by toshmann(m): 1:48pm On Apr 13, 2006
i hope the youths in the niger delta are seeing where the oil money is going? next time when there is violence in the niger delta people like seun should not be quick to critisize the poor,unfortunate youths.

the nation is headed for the dead end. obj is a rogue and should be dealt accordingly****and why not? if we fought against tenure elongation and dictatorship in 1993, and 1998 why not in 2006. is it b/c the thief this time is from the south?a christain?indeed a disgrace to christaindom.

the press should remember how they fought abacha/ibb and they should use greater force,now that there is press freedom, to aggressively pursue this beast called obj or risk their integrity

God save the nation.
Re: AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by Seun(m): 2:12pm On Apr 13, 2006
Why don't you come back to Nigeria and join the bloody struggle? You are enjoying yourself in the Uk and you want those of us at home to be killing and maiming each other. That is cowardice of the highest order!
Re: AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by toshmann(m): 2:23pm On Apr 13, 2006
oga administrator,

abeg no vex, na my mind i dey yarn o. but i don't support violence,if u read my postings in other threads u'll know i don't support violence.i'm only saying that when things like this happens we should go to the root of the problems to find solutions. e.g, stopping this kind of thing instead of laying all blame on the youth who are fighting. we should go direct to the cause of their fight and stop the causes
Re: AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by toshmann(m): 2:23pm On Apr 13, 2006
and by the way, who said i'm enjoying myself in U.K?
Re: AD Members Offered Bribes To Support 3rd Term by Abeem(m): 4:50pm On Apr 15, 2006
This bribe thing has made the headlines sometime in the past. Is it a new offer or the old that is being recycled in the media? I am of the opinion that the Hon Rep should have collected the bribe (unless it is illegal to do so in Nigeria?). and show evidence to Nigerians, and be prepared to return the bribe to the treasury. (I don't know for the life of me how many Nigerians could do that). That will go a long way to reveal the double standard of this government that says it is out to rid the polity of corruption. (Rememeber Transparency International once said that most of the corruption in the country is carried out at the presidency). It has been said in other forums that this government is not sincere in the corruption battle it is wagging because it is only one sided-to silence the opposition.

(1) (Reply)

Pipe Line Explosion In Lagos More Than 200 People Killed / What Is Next For Ribadu / Why We Kidnapped 3-year-old Boy - Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.