Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,457 members, 7,808,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist (26649 Views)

Some Important Tips Needed To Survive A PhD / University Courses That Are Waste Of Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 10:26pm On Sep 20, 2012
Disclaimer: No be me talk am oh! But interesting reading nonetheless.

The disposable academic
Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time

Dec 16th 2010 | from the print edition

ON THE evening before All Saints' Day in 1517, Martin Luther nailed 95 theses to the door of a church in Wittenberg. In those days a thesis was simply a position one wanted to argue. Luther, an Augustinian friar, asserted that Christians could not buy their way to heaven. Today a doctoral thesis is both an idea and an account of a period of original research. Writing one is the aim of the hundreds of thousands of students who embark on a doctorate of philosophy (PhD) every year.

In most countries a PhD is a basic requirement for a career in academia. It is an introduction to the world of independent research—a kind of intellectual masterpiece, created by an apprentice in close collaboration with a supervisor. The requirements to complete one vary enormously between countries, universities and even subjects. Some students will first have to spend two years working on a master's degree or diploma. Some will receive a stipend; others will pay their own way. Some PhDs involve only research, some require classes and examinations and some require the student to teach undergraduates. A thesis can be dozens of pages in mathematics, or many hundreds in history. As a result, newly minted PhDs can be as young as their early 20s or world-weary forty-somethings.

One thing many PhD students have in common is dissatisfaction. Some describe their work as “slave labour”. Seven-day weeks, ten-hour days, low pay and uncertain prospects are widespread. You know you are a graduate student, goes one quip, when your office is better decorated than your home and you have a favourite flavour of instant noodle. “It isn't graduate school itself that is discouraging,” says one student, who confesses to rather enjoying the hunt for free pizza. “What's discouraging is realising the end point has been yanked out of reach.”

Whining PhD students are nothing new, but there seem to be genuine problems with the system that produces research doctorates (the practical “professional doctorates” in fields such as law, business and medicine have a more obvious value). There is an oversupply of PhDs. Although a doctorate is designed as training for a job in academia, the number of PhD positions is unrelated to the number of job openings. Meanwhile, business leaders complain about shortages of high-level skills, suggesting PhDs are not teaching the right things. The fiercest critics compare research doctorates to Ponzi or pyramid schemes.

You can read the full article [url=http://www.economist.com/node/17723223?fsrc=scn%2Ftw_ec%2Fthe_disposable_academic]here[/url].

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by obowunmi(m): 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
You can teach at a Uni without a PhD. All you need is to have connections. Probably for most things in life.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 11:08pm On Sep 20, 2012
Nothing wrong with getting a PhD in itself. Just that the whole academic thingy is over-commercialized these days. Degrees are aggressively marketed by top schools, and sold as luxury products. Africans see foreign degrees as a nice route to immigration, and a better life (which it usually is, anyway).

See how the MBA has been packaged as the route to the seven figure salary and the corner office on the top floor. Same way Nigeria has tons of uni graduates, but hardly anybody with vocational skills.

Like most things in the modern world, even education's got an angle, a sales pitch. undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by obowunmi(m): 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
AjanleKoko: Nothing wrong with getting a PhD in itself. Just that the whole academic thingy is over-commercialized these days. Degrees are aggressively marketed by top schools, and sold as luxury products. Africans see foreign degrees as a nice route to immigration, and a better life (which it usually is, anyway).

See how the MBA has been packaged as the route to the seven figure salary and the corner office on the top floor. Same way Nigeria has tons of uni graduates, but hardly anybody with vocational skills.

Like most things in the modern world, even education's got an angle, a sales pitch. undecided

Well stated. Those student loans plus interest rates are deadly.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by vislabraye(m): 12:36am On Sep 21, 2012
I think what one should focus on is getting relevant industrial skills.
That's why sciences and technology have an edge over certain careers.

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Mustay(m): 12:56pm On Sep 22, 2012
First Impression as I read the title "Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist" - that's if you're not into academics cool

obowunmi: You can teach at a Uni without a PhD. All you need is to have connections. Probably for most things in life.

Are you serious? As in, for Suya University? Am sure you're joking. Whilst I've got no evidence to disprove your statement if it does occur in some Nigerian institutions, what's obvious is that the minimum requirement is MSc. Moreover, NUC has been at loggerheads with Universities as per the minimu requirement being PhD - I think they set a timeline of 2014 or so.

@topic again sha, well there's also an oversupply of graduates tongue

In the academic world, methinks PhD is necessary for lecturers to have - conducting research in a particular field is an indication of a 'deep' commitment to the 'zeta' of the course. However, it's of note that some people embark on it 'cos it's a 'necessity' for career advancement and not necessarily out of passion. What I like about it is when a PhD holder has a good grasp of a topic area and s/he's willing to do more or make new discoveries or find answers to recent challenges/development.

Well that's for the academia. For the business world, errm ermm ermm, it's kind of a misnormer (if am permitted to use that word) the way success has been equated with academic progression. I still insist on application - often times, Africans especially are 'bagging' 'em degrees for personal aggrandizement rather than contribution to at least, the nucleus environment. The orientation has been skewed to assume that the higher the degrees, the better the person is (if you knoweth what I mean) - am sorry but e.g. Mr. Olusegun Aganga and his stay as Finance Minister.

Lastly I remember the article about Africans and their craze for titles only for the writer himself (an African) to end with "Mr. Chachangi, BSc, MSc, PhD" e remain small for GCE sef wink

5 Likes

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by obowunmi(m): 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2012
LooL
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mustay: First Impression as I read the title "Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist" - that's if you're not into academics cool

again sha, well there's also an oversupply of graduates tongue

Well that's for the academia. For the business world, errm ermm ermm, it's kind of a misnormer (if am permitted to use that word) the way success has been equated with academic progression. I still insist on application - often times, Africans especially are 'bagging' 'em degrees for personal aggrandizement rather than contribution to at least, the nucleus environment. The orientation has been skewed to assume that the higher the degrees, the better the person is (if you knoweth what I mean) - am sorry but e.g. Mr. Olusegun Aganga and his stay as Finance Minister.

The oversupply of graduates has stretched into advanced degrees as well. More people have PhDs than may actually be required. Even for Nigeria. I think we need more hands-on people in every sector. And you don't really need a PhD to start a career in research in my view.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Mustay(m): 2:32pm On Sep 22, 2012
It's not about starting a career in research, I inferred that PhD involves research - I don't think any Tomiwa, Dickson and Haruna would just "voila", out of a desire to know why x has not been able to produce y embark on a research - Msc, PhDs are more structured than the former ('formal' approach I'd say).

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mustay: It's not about starting a career in research, I inferred that PhD involves research - I don't think any Tomiwa, Dickson and Haruna would just "voila", out of a desire to know why x has not been able to produce y just embark on a research - Msc, PhDs are more structured than the former ('formal' approach I'd say).

Hmm, I don't disagree.
But you could also join a research or academic facility right out of undergrad. It's not every field that will have a lot of funding, or talent. Think about a botany professor in Nigeria, with little or no funding, needing research assistants. With what he'd be willing to pay, he would have few candidates if he demands for PhD as a minimum. Even Msc.

Some organizations also have professionals who do research, and publish papers. Oil and gas for example. The SPE and NAGAMs conferences feature a lot of technical papers from Nigerian engineers and geoscientists, many of whom don't even have a masters degree. In the course of their work, they do significant research aimed at improving production, and enhancing their work methods.

In the real sense of life, every professional is expected to do some research.

But the issue is not about the academic environment per se, if you read that article. First off, the PhDs are becoming surplus to requirements. Secondly, the degree has little or no use in the non-academic public or private sector.

Mind you, I am referring to Nigeria. In the Western world, there is a lot more serious funded research going on, and lots of academic talent. So there is a lot more competition. But you'll still have cases where the academic degrees are not very important. Silicon Valley for example. Lots of researchers at Google and Microsoft have PhDs, while lots also do not.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Mustay(m): 3:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
What can I say? Errrrrrmmmmmmmm I see your point but you now went on and on so that what I've gotta say next is "Ye! He yaf finish me with eggsamples" grin

Anyway, this part "the degree has little or no use in the non-academic public or private sector" has one kind of K-leg o for some of these researches are carried out on practical, 'on-the-work'/ on field basis so it's kind of a contradiction that it's of 'no use'. What the science guys do for example, is to seek alternatives to some processes, inherent problems, state the effect etc. For the management guys, I remember a Dr. saying some of these their projects are like 'report panels' - they're not usually practical and guys from the 'real world' in management have also said that it's better at times for these guys from the academia to come and 'practise' for some time out there before going back so they can experience the variance of some teachings and the real world. I hope I've ended up not derailing from your article, but just that point sha.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 5:15pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mustay: What can I say? Errrrrrmmmmmmmm I see your point but you now went on and on so that what I've gotta say next is "Ye! He yaf finish me with eggsamples" grin

Anyway, this part "the degree has little or no use in the non-academic public or private sector" has one kind of K-leg o for some of these researches are carried out on practical, 'on-the-work'/ on field basis so it's kind of a contradiction that it's of 'no use'.

I was referring to Nigeria. Industry is poorly-developed here. You don't really need to have a PhD to do on-the-job research in industry, in Nigeria. In the West, industry is much more advanced, and competition is much stiffer.

Here is an example of a paper published from within industry, some years back. This is from the telco industry.

Here's another article by the same person.

Mind you, I am not knocking PhDs. Lest one is misunderstood. PhDs are not for everyone is what I am saying. It represents a symbol of high academic achievement, and should not be bastardized, in my view.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Mustay(m): 5:47pm On Sep 22, 2012
AjanleKoko:
PhDs are not for everyone is what I am saying. It represents a symbol of high academic achievement, and should not be bastardized, in my view.

Consensus.

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by violent(m): 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
In an overtly competitive efficient world where almost everyone has an access to the same sort of information and knowledge, the only way you stand to differentiate yourself from a billion other humans living on this planet is to search and discover more knowledge and contribute this to the jillions of knowledge already available for onward transfer to the nth generation.

Doing a Phd is an extremely wonderful thing. Unlike masters or bachelors, where you simply learn what others have discovered, it puts you in a position to write in a complete clean sheet...you build on pieces of information to arrive at a completely new information that may change the way the world views itself forever...this is not some overly priced and packaged MBA nor some "extracurricular BSc", packaged as MSc, a Phd is beyond all that. A Phd is a true quest for knowledge, if seen as anything short of that, then it's meaning itself may be lost.

More knowledge is never a useless thing. I will rather associate with people who can challenge conventional wisdom than those who simply take things as given.

The argument that vocational experience may fill this void is completely without merits. 500 years ago, perhaps vocational experience may have dictated and thought people at that time to drown themselves once they are inflicted with smallpox. It would have taken someone or a group of people to dedicate a significant amount of time and their life into discovering the nature of Smallpox virus and subsequent treatment...and for that reason, you and I live in a better world.

Phd is never a waste of time, oftentimes, the purpose of obtaining one is what makes the difference. Many people get a Phd simply to strut their shoulders.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
Wahala.
E don enter front page.
I'm out embarassed

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 7:05pm On Sep 22, 2012
violent:
Phd is never a waste of time, oftentimes, the purpose of obtaining one is what makes the difference. Many people get a Phd simply to strut their shoulders.

That's a lot of pain to endure, just for the privilege of strutting your shoulders shocked

Anyway, I think the issue raised by that article was demand and supply. Not the quality of the education.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by violent(m): 7:07pm On Sep 22, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That's a lot of pain to endure, just for the privilege of strutting your shoulders shocked

Well, i have seen people endure much worse pain for the privilege of strutting their shoulders. It's a society thing. The same reason some study for medicine or engineering.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by packman: 7:09pm On Sep 22, 2012
[size=20pt]i agree with this to an extent....buti tink if you hav a good job den it shud b no problem going for ur PHD.[/size][size=8pt][/size]

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 7:12pm On Sep 22, 2012
violent:

Well, i have seen people endure much worse pain for the privilege of strutting their shoulders. It's a society thing. The same reason some study for medicine or engineering.

How about competition?
Most people I know who have a PhD, were always brainiacs from elementary school. Always straight-A students, efiko types.
so it's normal that such people pursue the highest academic achievement available. I don't think I know too many average joes with a PhD.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 22, 2012
Bleep whomever wrote this article. I finalised my plans for my M.Sc and Ph.D long before I graduated from secondary school. It might be a "waste of time" to the author whom I suspect was not brilliant enough to be admitted into a program, but it is known the world over that the higher your qualification, the higher your worth.

3 Likes

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by icydoc: 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2012
we r shifting into an era were ur academic qualifications greatly determine ur chances of getting a job and ur perceived worth in the society..this is particularly seen in recent times in Africa were paper qualification far supersede ur skills.well if u can,then go for a higher degree.it will sure add some spice to ur cv.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by AjanleKoko: 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2012
SimonAndal: Bleep whomever wrote this article. I finalised my plans for my M.Sc and Ph.D long before I graduated from secondary school. It might be a "waste of time" to the author whom I suspect was not brilliant enough to be admitted into a program, but it is known the world over that the higher your qualification, the higher your worth.

But you haven't even graduated from bachelors, sir grin
I've seen a couple of posts where you said you were 18. So . . . well, you know the rest of what I would likely say grin

3 Likes

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
AjanleKoko:

But you haven't even graduated from bachelors, sir grin
I've seen a couple of posts where you said you were 18. So . . . well, you know the rest of what I would likely say grin
_
Like I said, I finalised my plans long before becoming a JAMBite. Age is just a cumbersome number.

1 Like

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nonsense. Martin Luther dies almost 100 years now. Nobody even recognized WAEC, not even B.SC talk less of PH.D. The moderators that put this on front page must be less ambitious people.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nonsense. Martin Luther died almost 100 years now. That time, Nobody even recognized WAEC, not even B.SC talk less of PH.D. The moderators that put this on front page must be less ambitious people.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by eyennyin: 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2012
If u talk phd like dis then maybe ull run mental as den d distribute professorship here. Like that one at the stock exchange
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by eledalo: 7:31pm On Sep 22, 2012
Will be back
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Revolva(m): 7:33pm On Sep 22, 2012
I really hate this phd thing you see the more you get this phd the more unsatisfied you get because no job will eve be contended with you - at least a master degree is just ok abi dangote get phd Hiss I no even wan get am sef
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 22, 2012
People av started writing theses on this page o. Na so so long long posts.
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by jammyunn(m): 7:38pm On Sep 22, 2012
What's a PHD?
Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by yinchar(m): 7:42pm On Sep 22, 2012
jammyunn: What's a PHD?
Even though you didnt pass through school, you could have spared us from your intellectual dumbness by searching the meaning in google

2 Likes

Re: Doing A Phd Is Often A Waste Of Time, Says The Economist by taharqa: 7:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
Seeking knowledge, newer ways of doing old things or even completely new things is NEVER a waste. The quest for knowledge shouldn't be bounded by one's immediate environment; curiousity is what says we are Alive as human beings, lose that and you are good as dead....am getting mine soonest: there was never any doubt bout it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / When You're Being Paid For Doing Virtually Nothing: The Meaning? / 3 Good Reasons Everyone Should Be Making Money On Upwork

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.