Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,412 members, 7,800,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck (11455 Views)

How GEJ's Govt. Used Bullion Vans To Cart Away N67.2bn From CBN - Premium Times / Police Arrest Bullion Van Robbers / IBB's Government Seized Buhari's Certificates - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by onyeego(m): 4:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
And is this same ACN that wants to govern Nigeria undecided

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Emmykeyz(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
*Parks Honda End of Discussion in garage, brings out dusty BMX bicycle* grin
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by adeobasa(m): 5:08pm On Sep 21, 2012
Why are Nigerians always complaining when a Government acts positively? I think Gov. Fashola is a Leader by Example. At least we've seen cases of drivers driving on way and in the act, they went another car or motorcycle and even pedestrians. So if a govt rules against driving on one way, I don't think it's too much and I believe selling the vehicles will 1. Instill respect for Nigerian laws and 2. Make people respect the government, cos governments at all levels have lost their core values 3. Save more lives on our roads.
Lastly, let's all remember dat offenders of traffic laws have always been fined in Lagos before, but fining hasn't stopped people from disobeying these laws. Nigerians need iron hand to obey a certain law. So I think that's the reason for implementing the auction sales penalty.
However, let's not forget that, Nigeria is our country, if we've made laws for ourselves, we should obey them in order to have a better country. I believe anyone who has travelled out of dis country before will understand how grievous it is to disobey Traffic Laws. Let's embrace Gov. Fashola's team. I think I love this man!
Eko o ni baje. Nigeria ko ni baje
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by JideOje: 5:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
anicho: Abeg Will they auction the bullion van with d money in it?? #just wondering before i drop my bid.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2012
Paentera:

If you never knew before, well, today I can now knock it into your head that in a country such as UK, if you fail to pay your road or vehicle tax, your car will not even be just impounded, it will be CRUSHED!!![size=18pt][/size]

A law is there for a reason - if you fall foul of the law - you get punished. So avoid running foul of the law - how difficult can this be?

Hear urself. Was the vehicle placed on auction because they failed to pay ? People like u mislead baboons in Government with ur crappy "that is what happens in UK ...."
str8_talk:
Good 4 u,u've a car as to u is a sign of achievement. datz ur priorty n investment,but itz doesnt remove d fact dat we hv 2many idiots posing as drivers,if i'm 2 borrow d comment of A-ZeD.

Don't worry after all ur 'investments', you will buy one day and the first day on the road, u will mistakenly enter one way and ur car will be auctioned, i will buy it to make u feel the pain. Mr investor.

phemweb: [/b][b][/b]

what of when you refuse to pay the fine
@Phemweb , that is not the case here. The vehicle was to be placed on auction for passing one way not for refusing to pay.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

Hear urself. Was the vehicle placed on auction because they failed to pay ? People like u mislead baboons in Government with ur crappy "that is what happens in UK ...."

Don't worry after all ur 'investments', you will buy one day and the first day on the road, u will mistakenly enter one way and ur car will be auctioned, i will buy it to make u feel the pain. Mr investor.

@Phemweb , that is not the case here. The vehicle was to be placed on auction for passing one way not for refusing to pay.

The consequence for driving against traffic is confiscation. Break the law and lose your car, its simple.

No more excuse or ignorance for lawlessness.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
O boy ,e be like say na legedes benz person go dey use for Lagos now oo, because we can't be buying vehicles for the government to auction.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 5:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
This is leadership by example because unlike your useless leaders, fashola sits gently in traffic like the next man, no siren and no mopol beating you to get out of the way, so who are you and why can you not obey simple tragic law.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 5:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
Eko Ile:

The consequence for driving against traffic is confiscation. Break the law and lose your car, its simple.

No more excuse or ignorance for lawlessness.
I am sorry i dont take up issues with peeps who see Tinubu as their god and bliv every crappy thing in Lagos, good or bad is an avenue to promote politics and ACN.

I stand for good and reasonable Governance where the Government do their part and the citizen do theirs collectively. I have gone outside the country and seen au messed up ur 'Lagos' is compared to the potential and the income.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by MAURI: 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2012
First thing first! Why must you violet d law in d first place! Fashola Govt are ONLY looking for ways nigerians could get those rules in2 their head n start doing something right when it comes to safety in our road! Please tell me! This actions is suppose to b taken by FRSC boss in d country! But they are just clueless human being who feels changing the plate numbers is the solution to the reckless driving in the country. After driving 4 then years in nigeria, I kw ao much it cost me to get a drivers license in the middle east! Cos their police are working and trying to at least set a gud mind set for every drivers on the road! Ensuring they understand d Do's n don't's ! I commend fashola Govt for a job well done. If auctioning of seized trucks wld make ppu seat tight then so be it. If am caught in the act, I don't mind to forfeit my car cos it wl serve as a lesson which I won't try 2 repeat again! Let who have ears hear! Eko oni baje o! To ba si baje, awa eyan na la wa nibe! Lo ba tan!

It is good that Fashola wants to put strict measures and punishment in place for traffic violators.
Oga, in law generally and in international conventions, there is always the clause of “proportionality”. I am with you all the way that violators should be punished and strictly too! But this is out of proportion. Yeah, you and your Middle-East, is that not the part of the world where they amputate peoples hands for stealing? Has that stopped stealing in their countries? And Fashola and his people should let us know how many cars of those VIP’ (Vagabonds in power) who drive ruthlessly, endanger innocent lives and cause loss of lives that they have impounded?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
MAURI:
It is good that Fashola wants to put strict measures and punishment in place for traffic violators.
Oga, in law generally and in international conventions, there is always the clause of “proportionality”. I am with you all the way that violators should be punished and strictly too! But this is out of proportion. Yeah, you and your Middle-East, is that not the part of the world where they amputate peoples hands for stealing? Has that stopped stealing in their countries? And Fashola and his people should let us know how many cars of those VIP’ (Vagabonds in power) who drive ruthlessly, endanger innocent lives and cause loss of lives that they have impounded?

God bless you.

It is just like saying students who cheat during examinations are potential armed robbers and should be killed by firing squad.

That we will stand against such useless law does not mean that we are supporting cheating as insinuated by many here, but we are saying the punishment does not make any sense. Reduce it.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by olagamalin(m): 6:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
naptu2: Nemo judex in causa sua - No one can be a judge in his own cause.
. God Bless...Audi Alteram partem
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by bumtos(m): 6:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fashola and his gang is writting war letter to lagosians with this their law. Anyway, we are watching!
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 6:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:
I am sorry i dont take up issues with peeps who see Tinubu as their god and bliv every crappy thing in Lagos, good or bad is an avenue to promote politics and ACN.

I stand for good and reasonable Governance where the Government do their part and the citizen do theirs collectively. I have gone outside the country and seen au messed up ur 'Lagos' is compared to the potential and the income.

Another Tinubu lover. Everything in Nigeria is all about Tinubu. Don't violate the law, its Tinubu. Why don't you people just change your last name to Tinubu or tell the man you want to marry him if you can not get him out of tour mind and if gourd life is all about Tinubu?

Button line, the law was passed and it stated to you not to violate any traffic law and it also spelt out the consequence. If you don't want your car to be taken away from you, then obey the law like a law abiding citizen . Thats the problem with you nigerians, you are used to lawlessness and not consequences for your lawless behaviour, but that's all gone now at least in lagos state. If you feel like violating laws without getting punished, leave lagos, its not not force to call lagos home.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by manny4life(m): 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
Even in western countries, laws are challenged. This is where I expect right activists to challenge such draconian laws. During the challenge, let them appeal FG to use it's authority (by fire by force)AND HALT this law - for every auction of someone's car, FG will freeze the account of LG and use it to pay up for the damages for the offender. This is the reason why sometimes I may oppose regional governance or state police. This is just ridiculous. How do ou confiscate a property that you have no equity to just because it violated traffic laws?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by naptu2: 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
You cannot be the complainant, prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner.

[size=14pt]LASTMA can’t impose fine on traffic offenders – Court[/size]

On September 22, 2011 · In News
By INNOCENT ANABA

LAGOS- Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Lagos, has declared that Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, lacks the power to impose fine on traffic offenders.

Delivering judgment in the suit filed by Mr. Jonathan Odutola, Justice Abang declared that sections 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional and of no effect.

The judge not only awarded N500,000 against LASTMA, but stated that the four sections of its law were contrary to Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives the right of fair- hearing to every Nigerian.

He held that while LASTMA has the power to arrest traffic offenders, it does not have the powers to impose fine on them, adding that instead, it is a court of law that has power to impose fine on anybody who contravenes the law.

The judge submitted that the imposition of fine on any traffic offender by LASTMA amounted to being a judge in its own cause.

He said: “Sections 9, 11, 12, and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional. It is against the spirit of the Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives right of fair-hearing to every Nigerian. Moreover, that would amount to being a judge in your own cause.”

Odutola had dragged LASTMA to court for unlawfully impounding his car and imposing and slamming an illegal fine on him.

In the suit, he stated that last March, while driving his car on Third Mainland Bridge, it suddenly developed some mechanical problems.

According to him, to ensure that the car did not obstruct free flow of traffic, he immediately called a towing-van which towed the vehicle completely out of the road.

He said he also paid towing-van operator some money for the service rendered.

Odutola stated that he also called his mechanics to come and rescue him and the vehicle, adding that as soon as the mechanics arrived, some policemen patrolling the bridge who apparently wanted him to give them money refused them to work on the car.

When he insisted, Odutola and the mechanics were thoroughly beaten and harassed.

The policemen then called LASTMA officials at Sura, Lagos Island, who immediately came and towed the applicant’s car to their office and consequently slammed him with a fine if he must get his car back

https://www.nairaland.com/765555/lastma-t-impose-fine-traffic
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by gabreel: 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hello folks, to be honest with ourself, this is not fair. Put yourself in the shoe of the owner of the bullion van before you comment on this matter. IT is sadden to hear of such in this our nascent democracy.
Though there is a law, but such law should not be deterimental to the economic purse of a common man on the street. Please, there should be an amendment to such law immediately or else... IT will also drastically affect the state in it little significant effect.
Mr. Governor, please put a human face in to the law. Good morning
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
Lasgidi govt is damn serious about this traffic laws!!!!! Too many cases making pages this days!!
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by ProGSM(m): 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fashola as an educated man will not do that.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

What kind of leader leads a Government with draconic laws. Where in the world will Government sell your car for violating traffic 'law'. If you were the owner of the car, u will change ur mode of thinking.
Especially where there is even no sign to show u do's and don't on the road.
No problem, Welcome to Lagos, the most corrupt city in the world come next year. Cos the law is designed to promote bribery and corruption.
Guy go to where these vehicles were confiscated and you'd realise there are no need for the signs, its just common sense and some drivers are hell bent on disobeying traffic laws. Truth is, if you decide to violate traffic laws of Lagos, then you've decided not to drive that vehicle anymore.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 7:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
ProGSM: Fashola as an educated man will not do that.

Educated people obey the law and educated leaders enforce the law.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
Eko Ile:

Another Tinubu lover. Everything in Nigeria is all about Tinubu. Don't violate the law, its Tinubu. Why don't you people just change your last name to Tinubu or tell the man you want to marry him if you can not get him out of tour mind and if gourd life is all about Tinubu?

Button line, the law was passed and it stated to you not to violate any traffic law and it also spelt out the consequence. If you don't want your car to be taken away from you, then obey the law like a law abiding citizen . Thats the problem with you nigerians, you are used to lawlessness and not consequences for your lawless behaviour, but that's all gone now at least in lagos state. If you feel like violating laws without getting punished, leave lagos, its not not force to call lagos home.

Read the bold phrases again. Does it make any sense to you ? undecided and like seriously ? cry
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 7:57pm On Sep 21, 2012
Gabbysky:
Guy go to where these vehicles were confiscated and you'd realise there are no need for the signs, its just common sense and some drivers are hell bent on disobeying traffic laws. Truth is, if you decide to violate traffic laws of Lagos, then you've decided not to drive that vehicle anymore.

Well said. Nigerians are just used to lawlessness and not used to consequences. if the governor can sit in traffic, why can't you? Why endanger other people because of your lawlessness .
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 8:04pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

Read the bold phrases again. Does it make any sense to you ? undecided and like seriously ? cry

That's for you to answer since every issue means you people have to pull out tinubu.

btw, that's my cell phone auto correct feature. If you can not get tinubu out of your mind, tell the man to marry you. if you feel like violating laws, leave Lagos and go do it elsewhere or in your village.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by walexbiz(m): 8:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
spicytayomic: eko o ni baje ooooooooo.HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

As much as I do commend the reprimanding of the offender of the traffic law, the Governor cannot be the prosecutor and also the judge of the case. Therefore the offender should be taken to court to adjudicate on the matter.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 8:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
walex_biz:

As much as I do commend the reprimanding of the offender of the traffic law, the Governor cannot be the prosecutor and also the judge of the case. Therefore the offender should be taken to court to adjudicate on the matter.

So fashola arrested the truck driver, fashola took him to court, fashola is the lawyer and fashola is the judge....fashola is also in charge of auction and he is the prison warden too.....

Are you aware that these are the functions of different agencies within the state government.?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Redstone(m): 9:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
Abel, make I go bring out my 1970 model Datsun, take am drive one way sharp sharp so that govt go take am from me to auction am 1500k. Lol, lol, lol what a way to generate revenue. E don tey wèy I dey look for how I go disposed that scrap. Even my aboki no gree take am por dash.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Jisunpack: 9:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
Why can't people appreciate good thing? If you can't live in Lagos, then move out and relocate to where you don't have to follow any laws.

War against indiscipline is recommended at this juncture when lawlessness isbat it's peak.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Gekko(m): 9:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
Here are the facts!

(a) neglects or refuses to stop the vehicle or to make it proceed
or to keep to a particular lane or direction of traffic when directed
to do so by the officer in the execution of his duty; or
(b) drives his vehicle against oncoming traffic or fails to
conform to the direction or indication given by the traffic sign,

shall be guilty of an offence, and shall be liable on conviction for:
(i) 1
st
offender one (1) year imprisonment and
forfeiture of the vehicle to the State;

(ii) 2
nd
and subsequent offender three (3) years
imprisonment and forfeiture of the vehicle to the
State.
(c) all offenders shall have their data and biometrics captured.

Are they draconian in nature? absofuknlutely! Is it necessary in a state like Lagos? absofuknlutely!
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 21, 2012
adeobasa: Why are Nigerians always complaining when a Government acts positively? I think Gov. Fashola is a Leader by Example. At least we've seen cases of drivers driving on way and in the act, they went another car or motorcycle and even pedestrians. So if a govt rules against driving on one way, I don't think it's too much and I believe selling the vehicles will 1. Instill respect for Nigerian laws and 2. Make people respect the government, cos governments at all levels have lost their core values 3. Save more lives on our roads.
Lastly, let's all remember dat offenders of traffic laws have always been fined in Lagos before, but fining hasn't stopped people from disobeying these laws. Nigerians need iron hand to obey a certain law. So I think that's the reason for implementing the auction sales penalty.
However, let's not forget that, Nigeria is our country, if we've made laws for ourselves, we should obey them in order to have a better country. I believe anyone who has travelled out of dis country before will understand how grievous it is to disobey Traffic Laws. Let's embrace Gov. Fashola's team. I think I love this man!
Eko o ni baje. Nigeria ko ni baje

With(out) due respect, you are a FOOL. I am too irritated by your dimwittedness to bother to explain anything to you. Where are the road signs that indicate which roads across the state are 'one way' and which aren't? what are the safeguards against exploitative/criminal minded LASTMA officials that falsely accuse/ensnare innocent drivers of traffic violations? When the system is not fool-proof, why should individuals be persecuted based merely on the testimony of duplicitous LASTMA officials or Policemen?

since your foolish governor claims to be wise, I have only one question for you: Do wise men put the cart before the horse? Why not do first things first?

Hungry ACN DOGS. May you all die a slow, painful death.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Decryptor(m): 10:36pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hmmm! Imagine Boko Haram terrorists driving a bomb-laden vehicle fitted with timers against traffic...timer to explode at the venue of auction. They could capitalize on this opportunity
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by wandeay: 11:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
Are [size=20pt]all[/size] the roads in Lagos repaired, if so, continue, if not, check yourself b4 others, this is cluelessness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

​Governor Ugwuanyi Visits Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu / Restructuring Comment: Southern, Middle Belt Forum, Others Tackle Buhari / Afenifere, Ohaneze, NEF, Others Slam Buhari Over Anti-Rule Of Law Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.