Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Australian Open 2008 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Australian Open 2008 (4934 Views)

Tennis: Australian Open 2012 / Tennis: Australian Open 2011 / Australian Open 2009 - Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australian Open 2008 by whatnext: 8:26pm On Jan 13, 2008
Una no dey follow tennis again? Grand Slam dey start tomorrow and no-one dey talk abt am.

Una dey fear say Federer go take am again? I don't think so as his half is filled with potential winners.

This year's australian open may provide a new unexpected winner, do u think otherwise?
Re: Australian Open 2008 by JeSoul(f): 10:32pm On Jan 13, 2008
whatnext:

Una no dey follow tennis again? Grand Slam dey start tomorrow and no-one dey talk about am.

Una dey fear say Federer go take am again? I don't think so as his half is filled with potential winners.

This year's australian open may provide a new unexpected winner, do u think otherwise?

nope. There's no reason to expect Federer won't take it again. Nadal is shaky going in, maybe Hewitt will go far cos he's on home soil but I bet my money on the FedExpress.
As for the women's I think that field is more wide open, seeing I'm already US biased, I'm rooting for Venus.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 13, 2008
We already know the winners . . .

Male - Roger Federer
Female - Justine Henin.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by bagoma(f): 10:57pm On Jan 13, 2008
yeah, so bloody predictable.
federer and henin. angry
Re: Australian Open 2008 by doyin13(m): 2:33am On Jan 14, 2008
The unknown factor in the men's draw is Nalbandian what with his late flourish at the tail end of last year.

I know Octopus is looking forward to him doing big things this year. I wouldnt hold my breath though. tongue

In the female draw. . .the Williams Sisters might still be smarting from their embarassment suffered at the hands
of Henin last year. So I am backing Vaidisova on tennis grounds and Ivanovic. . . .well because I am a man grin
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 2:41am On Jan 14, 2008
Nalbandian is most unpredictable. I see him losing before the QFs
Re: Australian Open 2008 by lailai2(m): 2:56am On Jan 14, 2008
nice to see tennis fans

i hope federer wont monopolize this once more but everthing is already pointing to a federer win, i'm still waitin to see how far djokovic and nadal can mature on grass b4 federer gets old, it would get tough

women's draw is more open cos most of the top players that can challenge henin have been inconsistent, only God knows what they'll turn up with but henin was ruthless in the recent sydney cup win
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 2:58am On Jan 14, 2008
the games have begun . . . Serena Williams through to the second round beating Jarmila Gajdosova 6-3, 6-3.

Andy Murray vs Jean Pierre Tsonga is next on Rod Laver arena after the relatively straight forward Henin - Nakamura game.

Upset may be on the cards . . . Jankovic may lose her first round game. shocked
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 3:08am On Jan 14, 2008
Tommy Robredo is being beaten in straight sets! shocked
Re: Australian Open 2008 by doyin13(m): 4:23am On Jan 14, 2008
I will not be surprised if Jankovic gets upset.

Her game has so many flaws, especially her serve and she is not the biggest hitter at the best of times.

That she has risen so high is a testament to her tenacity rather than to her skills.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 4:34am On Jan 14, 2008
Jankovic survives the Tamira Paszek scare 2-6, 6-2, 12-10
Henin is through, beating Aiko Nakamura 6-2, 6-2

JP Tsonga and A. Murray on live. I just want Tsonga to dump this overhyped Brit.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by doyin13(m): 4:42am On Jan 14, 2008
davidylan:

JP Tsonga and A. Murray on live. I just want Tsonga to dump this overhyped Brit.

Oi!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch it mate angry angry angry
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 4:52am On Jan 14, 2008
doyin13:

Oi!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch it mate angry angry angry

hehehe Tsonga up a break at 2-1 first set.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 14, 2008
For the over-hyped Brit, Murray, the dream of the AO is over - 5-7, 4-6, 6-0, 6-7.
Jo Wilfried Tsonga is my new hero.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by dayokanu(m): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2008
Thank God!!! Andy Murray is out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those Brits are not good at anything maybe Hooliganism. Tennis, Football, Athletics, Boxing, Rugby, just mention any

sport where England is a top rate country

Overrated shit
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 14, 2008
bros Dayokanu, those Brits are good at creating media superstars. grin
Now that no other Brit is taking part in the singles maybe their media can leave us in peace. I laughed my head off with several UK papers already mapping out Murray's road to the final . . . everyone apparently forgot Tsonga didnt come to the AO just to watch from the sidelines.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by dayokanu(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2008
David, just like they do in every thing they do. In footie it was as if Croatia would just come to Wembley to sing their national anthem and go back.

In Tennis, Andy Murray that is no better than Nduka Odizor, or Jonathan Igbinovia would be compared to Federer. I remember Gael Monfils of France dispatching

him ruthlessly sometime ago. Remember the Beckham hype too, Only God knows what would have happened if Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho or Kaka had been English

Have you forgotten calling Rooney Rooneyaldo? OMG

Just the way you hear Manchester United or Hatton are the best things in the world
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 14, 2008
dayokanu:

David, just like they do in every thing they do. In footie it was as if Croatia would just come to Wembley to sing their national anthem and go back.

Didnt Michael Owen tell us after the match that NO Croatian player would walk into the English team? grin cheesy

dayokanu:

In Tennis, Andy Murray that is no better than Nduka Odizor, or Jonathan Igbinovia would be compared to Federer. I remember Gael Monfils of France dispatching him ruthlessly sometime ago.

lol Andy Murray is actually a very good tennis player but definitely not as good as the english press makes him out to be. Before the Tsonga game there was talk that his only threat would be Roger Federer . . . Tsonga had other ideas i guess.

dayokanu:

Remember the Beckham hype too, Only God knows what would have happened if Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho or Kaka had been English

If Zidane, Ronaldinho or Kaka were English we'd never be able to breath again.

dayokanu:

Have you forgotten calling Rooney Rooneyaldo? OMG

Another hard worker with very little skill. Like Michael Owen, he'll fade when the pace is gone.

dayokanu:

Just the way you hear Manchester United or Hatton are the best things in the world

I thot there was only one Ricky Hatton? cheesy grin
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 14, 2008
I take back my earlier predictions especially for the male singles section of the AO.
These guys hit so hard and so well that there is now so little difference between seeded and unseeded players now.

Stefan Koubek is giving Carlos Moya (16) a torrid time out here.
Victo Troiki's serve is giving Nadal plenty of headache right now.

Na wa o
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 14, 2008
Troicki breaks Nadal to 5-5 first set! shocked These qualifiers are actually pretty good.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by dayokanu(m): 12:49pm On Jan 14, 2008
@ David,
Even if their serve is like Kalashnikov rifle's, They can never match the Federal Express. I am just waiting for Fed Ex to win the Roland Garros for me to award him the best player of all time.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 14, 2008
Federer is the best player of his generation no question. He doesnt need the FO to prove it.

Troicki just lost a set point. Man Nadal will need to dig deep to beat this guy.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by viee(f): 12:57pm On Jan 14, 2008
ok Nadal im sure that was just a joke, u can quit d joke now
aint funny anymore angry angry
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2008
lol Nadal has worn the guy out already. Surely Nadal has this tie break sewn up already. 3 set points for Nadal . . . 2 will be on his serve.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 14, 2008
1hr 2mins. 7-6 first set to Nadal. Survived a scare there.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by viee(f): 1:04pm On Jan 14, 2008
davidylan:

Stefan Koubek is giving Carlos Moya (16) a torrid time out here.
Na wa o

Na real wa  shocked

davidylan:

Man Nadal will need to dig deep to beat this guy.

guess he heard u wink
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 14, 2008
hahaha Troicki is losing it a little bit. His groundstrokes are flat and very hard, Nadal's strokes are kicking up on this surface and making it a lot harder to hit. Again it seems the big servers will do better here.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by ricadelide(m): 1:13pm On Jan 14, 2008
Serbia just seems to be churning out tennis players every second as though they had some kind of tennis assembly plant
Re: Australian Open 2008 by viee(f): 1:18pm On Jan 14, 2008
Moya out ! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Australian Open 2008 by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 14, 2008
Man Moya knocked out yet again in the first round.
Troicki is up a break 2-1 in the second set.

Wetin dey happen?
Re: Australian Open 2008 by ricadelide(m): 1:26pm On Jan 14, 2008
actually that draw wasn't quite a favorable one for Moya, Stefan Koubek is quite a good player. Somehow, perhaps due to injury or inconsistency, he isn't seeded.
Re: Australian Open 2008 by viee(f): 1:27pm On Jan 14, 2008
davidylan:

Wetin dey happen?

i no understand!
this one don pass be careful angry angry
Nadal is excersing too much energy in this game
it is bound to tell in his next game sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Beware Of All Telegram Fixed Game Channels / Who Has Achieved More In Football? Kanu Nwanko Or Mikel Obi / Nigeria Vs Algeria U-23 Olympics Qualifier Dec 5 18:00

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.