Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,227 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup (12275 Views)

Suitable Cream To Even Out Uneven Skin Tone / Please Help!! My Skin Tone Is In A Mess / Un-even Skin Tone!!!!!! So Embarassing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 9:33pm On Jan 13, 2008
Getting your skin tone right, according to McEvoy, is more important than any other part of your makeup routine. The trick is make it appear as if you aren't wearing any makeup at all. Here are a few steps to even-ing out your skin tone.

Rule #1: EXFOLIATE

Chances are if you don't exfoliate daily or weekly, your skin is covered in dead skin cells that are mucking up the surface of your skin and causing your skin to not only look dull, but older as well. Without proper exfoliation, foundation won't smooth over your skin cleanly and moisturizer won't properly soak in.
Exfoliate with face scrubs, microdermabrasion, chemical peels, beta alpha hydroxy pads or any Vitamin A product like Retin-A. AND THE CHEAPEST IN NIGERIA MARKET IS ST IVES INVIGORATING APRICOT SCRUB

Rule #2: PREP THE FACE

Foundations and tinted moisturizers glide over a moisturized, plumped face so much better than a dry one. Plump up skin with a primer with SPF (primers have been The New Thing now for more than a oouple years). If you don't have a primer, moisturizers with SPF will do. Make sure the SPF is at least 15.

Rule #3: EVEN OUT SKIN TONE

The next step is to apply foundation or tinted moisturizer (tinted moisturizer tends to be more sheer). Make sure the foundation or TM blends perfectly into skin. If it's too light or too dark it will be noticeable. Apply only on the areas that need it most: Usually along the nose and on the cheeks and chin.

Rule #4: Cover Up Under-Eye Circles, Blemishes and Red Spots

A few dots of a creamy concealer under the eyes and on any blemishes helps remove the "veiny" or "bluish" appearance under the eyes many women have. Remember to pat, don't rub, concealer in.

Rule #5: PREP THE LIDS

Even if you aren't going to be applying eyeshadow, you'll want to apply a lid base to lids to even out skin there. Most people's lids have blue veins. Concealing them with a base or primer created for the lids helps even out your overall skin tone.

Rule #6: Bring Back Some Color

Once skin tone is evened out, you'll notice your skin lacks color. Bring it back in with bronzer, a creamy blush or both. Apply bronzing powder with a big fluffy brush on all the spots the sun naturally hits: Forehead, cheeks and nose. Follow with a creamy blush on the apple of your cheeks. (Cream blushes create a "dewy" complexion better than powder blushes, and help plump up skin).

Rule #7: Set the Face

Your last step to a perfect complexion is setting the face with a powder. This is a step I often avoid because I love how dewy my complexion is without powder. Plus, at this point, I'm lazy. But many makeup artists insist on this step.
Now that your face is "on" you'll notice you don't even have to apply much eye makeup to look fresh and spectacular. Even just a bit of mascara and a hint of gloss is enough for most women to look fantastic.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Bosiano(f): 11:19am On Jan 14, 2008
fellybabe, thanks for ur advice. it seems u know much about skin management, can u pls, send me ur phone number via my email address bosyink_90@yahoo.com. because i want to discuss my skin problems to u for more orientations. thanks
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 8:20pm On Jan 14, 2008
I'll do that.thanks 4 d compliments
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by slickgirl: 1:11pm On Jan 22, 2008
please i need your email address or phone no so we can talk more u can reach me on arit_nkannang on the skin issue either oily or dry skin : undecided
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Afribiz(f): 10:43am On May 07, 2008
That was great fellybabe, please advise me on what products to use. I'm fair in complexion, but right now, my skin is so dull. I'm so confused as there are many products in the market. A friend told me to use fair and white products, that's what i'm using till today, but the cup cream is making rubbish of my skin, i don't know if i should continue with the soap and then change to the lotion, or should i entirely change both? I'm considering mary kay products, what do you think?
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 9:11pm On May 07, 2008
hello darling

Once u start to exfoliate ur face and neck, ur skin will glow. am fair in complexion too and neutrogena product is really working for me now

i use the oil, the lotion and also neutrogena soap.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Afribiz(f): 10:35am On May 12, 2008
Thanx Felly, i'll also like to try the neutrogena lotion and soap, since it works for you, i believe it'll also work for me. How do you use the oil? and pls what are their prices?
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 9:46pm On May 13, 2008
i use both. the neutrogena oil =N 2,100

the lotion is N1,400

soap is  N 700

THE SOAP DOESN'T LAST LIKE THAT AND IT'S VERY EFFECTIVE, SO I WILL ADVISED U USE IT FOR UR FACE AND NECK AND GET ANOTHER BRAND FOR BODY.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Izon(f): 10:04am On May 15, 2008
Fellababe,
Which Neutrogena Lotion do you mean, the Emulsion or moisturizer and which of the Neu oil and soap? Names please, I use the range as well but can't say 100% that it's working well for me. mixed it with bio-oil and it became too greasy and irritating so I stopped. What say you about Mary Kay range? Can you recommend something to get a clear, pimple-free face.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Izon(f): 10:06am On May 15, 2008
Fellababe,
     Which Neutrogena Lotion do you mean, the Emulsion or moisturizer and which of the Neu oil and soap? Names please, I use the range as well but can't say 100% that it's working well for me. mixed it with bio-oil and it became too greasy and irritating so I stopped. What say you about Mary Kay range? Can you recommend something to get a clear, pimple-free face.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nifemi4u(f): 11:51am On May 20, 2008
Thank fellababe am fair complexion i hav use many lotiom but am not ok wit it it wil work but chance my boby dark whirt now an usein body whrit it work but it cause rubbish 2 my body pls send ur email to elizabeth_afolasade@yahoo.co.uk or tex me on dis num 08026143245
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by abujabooks(f): 12:55pm On May 21, 2008
Will try this.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 4:40pm On Sep 14, 2008
ok
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Fummiee(f): 7:53pm On Sep 14, 2008
Hi fellybabe, cld u pls tex me ur no on 08029998157. I av so much 2 ask u. Thanks in anticipatn
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2008
just text u
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by fellybabe(f): 3:45pm On Oct 31, 2008
Eyeshadow application techniques[color=#990000][/color]

The manner in which we apply eyeshadow depends on the texture of your makeup, the shape of your eyes, and the situation you are making up for. Using different colours, textures, and application techniques, you can—depending on the image you want to achieve—accentuate or soften your eyes, create a certain mood, or improve your eye shape if you are not happy with it.

Use the right technique for the texture

Creamy eyeshadow

Creamy eyeshadow has a lightweight skin-like texture, is easy to apply and blend, stays long, and does not crease if not overloaded. However, this product contains of a lot of shimmer which accentuates the structure of the skin—not a great choice for mature women.
Creamy texture is best for single colour application. Because this type of eyeshadow blends so well, don’t use more than two colours—three shades would create a greyish mess on your eyelids. The same undesirable effect may occur if you use creamy eyeshadow together with creamy eyeliner on the upper eyelid.

For full proof application of creamy eyeshadow, use your fingertip. If you use two shades in creamy texture, blend the definition shade with a small synthetic brush.
Loose powder eyeshadow

Loose powder eyeshadow with a lot of tiny glitter—which is very difficult to press into compact form—gives you an instantly glamorous effect; however, these products are more about shine than colour. Loose powder is very good as a base pastel colour—especially for mature eyes—because it doesn’t contain shimmer or strong pigments. Apply loose powder with a large base brush all over the eyelid.

Pressed powder eyeshadow

Pressed powder eyeshadow is easy to apply and blend, and has excellent staying power. High-quality powder eyeshadow is heavily pigmented, which means that the colour reveals itself with the first stroke and will not fade. As a rule, matte eyeshadow has more sheer texture, while shimmer (mica particles) gives eyeshadow a rich texture that intensifies the colour.
This form of eyeshadow is applied with a dry sponge applicator, and then blended with a brush. This way you avoid eyeshadow falling off the brush, plus you keep your brushes clear of colour, fresh for blending. It’s a good idea to use brushes of different sizes for different purposes: blend base colour with the largest brush, highlighting and accent colours with a medium brush, and contouring shadows in the crease and along the lash line with the smallest brush.
Make the most with shading and highlighting

If you have small or deep-set eyes, don’t outline the contour of your eye with a dark colour. Apply base eyeshadow with light shimmer on the entire eyelid to open up the eyes, highlighting with a light iridescent shade under the eyebrow. Medium-thick eyeliner along and beyond the upper lash line will elongate your eyes. For protruding eyes, matte eyeshadows are preferable to iridescent as base and contouring colours. In the crease, blend contouring colour halfway down to the lashes; this way you will visibly shrink the size of the mobile lid. Curling your lashes may be the best remedy to reduce bulginess. Mature eyes look best with light base eyeshadow all over the eyelid and soft highlighter under the eyebrow. “Lift” your eyes by applying colour strictly above your upper eyelid; keep the sides and lower lid free of contouring eyeshadow. Use brown or grey mascara instead of black. With Asian eyes, don’t attempt to draw a line above your natural crease with a dark colour; instead, try to create the illusion of eyelids by applying bright metallic eyeshadow on and above the crease. It should occupy about one third of the space between your lashes and eyebrows. Be aware that this technique works well only if your eyelids aren’t saggy. On wide-set eyes, draw your shading line in the crease closer to the inner corner, but don’t deliberately try to make the eyes appear closer by applying dark eyeshadow next to your nose. Apply eyeshadow within the border defined by the eye shape, and don’t whiten your inner corners. Show it off, or keep it simple

The simplest way to put on eyeshadow for a quick makeup fix is to apply a base colour over the entire eyelid, up to the eyebrows; creamy or loose powder eyeshadow are best for this technique.

For a more polished look, use two colour-coordinated shadows in light and dark shades. Apply the light shade under the eyebrow, on the upper mobile lid, and on the lower lid in the inside corner of the eye. Concentrate darker eyeshadow on the outer corner of the eye, along the lashes, and in the crease. For sophisticated evening makeup, use up to four colours of eyeshadow:
Apply a pastel base colour all over the eyelid.
T
he darkest contouring shade goes in the crease and along the lashes.
A more vibrant iridescent accent colour is applied to the mobile lid and slightly above, in the centre of the eyes.
Shimmery, very light highlighter can be applied on the brow bone and in the inner corners of the eyes.
Remember: adding more colour means that you will need to layer your eyeshadow. Your layers will be thinner if you use a high-quality product that is heavily pigmented. The less you apply, the better it will look and stay on your eyelids.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nasasalt(f): 11:53am On May 29, 2012
pls i'm a chocolate skinned/oily face lady,which cream and loose powder should i use.I USE cocoa butter cream,it darks me.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Adesuwag(m): 9:18pm On May 30, 2012
Use Q7,it evens dark skin tone...its hydroquinone free.I'll advise you get the original one
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nasasalt(f): 6:11pm On May 31, 2012
thanks alot.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by lepasharon(f): 12:14am On Jun 01, 2012
you can use lemon and sugar to exfoliate
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 02, 2012
Pls how do I use lemon and sugar,need instuctions.thanks
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by lepasharon(f): 7:59pm On Jun 02, 2012
you mix a teaspoon of lemon and sugar then simply rub it on your skin.
The sugar acts as an abrasive while the lemon fades any scars.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 03, 2012
@ lepasharon thanks a lot,would try it today,pls how often should I do this and how long should I leave the mixture on my face?
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by lepasharon(f): 2:16am On Jun 04, 2012
I would say you can do it once a week because you know lemon is acidic and it can be drying,and you rub on ur face for bout 2mins or when you feel is enough.
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 04, 2012
Thanks darling bless u
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Lisa1: 9:50am On Jun 04, 2012
[img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
lepasharon: I would say you can do it once a week because you know lemon is acidic and it can be drying,and you rub on ur face for bout 2mins or when you feel is enough.
you got it
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by Happytina(f): 9:04pm On Jun 28, 2012
Fellbabe pls i need 2 knw d kind of of cream 2 use dat wil match wit my cream. I'm dark in complexion n have oily face 2. I hv tried so many products bt is nt workn. Thx
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nasasalt(f): 1:35pm On Jan 09, 2013
please do Q7 body lotion and is it good for someone that is chocolate skinned...thanks
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nasasalt(f): 1:36pm On Jan 09, 2013
i mean bleach
Re: How To Even Out Your Skin Tone Before Applying Makeup by nasasalt(f): 1:38pm On Jan 09, 2013
i mean bleach.....

(1) (Reply)

Daily Beauty Rotuine / Wholesale And Retail LA Girl Products / Affordable Souvenirs, Kitchen and household items

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.