Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances (5880 Views)

The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West / Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames / Why Don't White People Have African Surnames? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 2:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
Why are many people fighting against women accepting their maiden surname upon marriage? Why are some people not accepting a homosexual person accepting their partner's surname saying that they do not have the right to marry because God ordained marriage for man and woman?

Why can't society accept individual couple's choice in accepting maiden surname or homosexual couples accepting similar surname? Who in the world have that right to enforce their perception of what culture/tradition is to other people?

A year and half ago....I created a thread about Africans and their views on homosexuality. In addition, I shared that I was invited to a gay wedding and my husband declined the invitation because he doesn't support homosexuality. My friend's wife was ridiculed by her family saying that she shouldn't have change her surname to a woman that isn't a man. However in some American states homosexuals can marry and change their surname to their partner's surname legally. Some people argued that women are supposed to change their surname to their husbands or they are not considered married without the husband's surname.

My argument with that is if homosexual couples shouldn't change their name because they are not "married" in the union of God. Some argued that it is a cultural expectation but is it really? Is it a method to keep women in property mode instead of focus more on the marriage itself?

A friend of mine is living with her sister because her husband filed for divorce because she wouldn't change her surname. They have been married over 10 years!!!!!!! If surname was that important to him why did he waited 10 years to make noise about it? Something is fishy here.

Does having the same surname ensure happy marriage? What is wrong with a woman keeping her maiden name? Why are people holding on to cultures that is old as dirt and aren't relevant today?

Your thoughts?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:54pm On Sep 21, 2012
lol...damn,

gotta read all of that sis? tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
Well I don't know about all of the homosexuality stuff as I am straight.
But I believe love is love. You don't even have to be married to be happy or to work out much less change your last name.

I respect most cultures but in my opinion and as far as I am concerned, my keeping or changing my name won't determine how we connect as a couple therefore it is irrelevant.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 11:57pm On Sep 21, 2012
1. I believe your husband did the right thing.. I mean why should he be part of something he does not support or condone..
2. I don't see why or how changing a females surname to the husbands denotes to keeping the woman in property mode. Why did you make that statement ?
3. A union between a man and his woman makes them ONE unit and the man being the head of the family it is only natural for the woman to take after the man's surname..

The surname should not be the issue But LOVE.. W

2 Likes

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by ifyalways(f): 12:06am On Sep 22, 2012
Would it make any sense to have Mr chima and mrs winter as a couple?
How would strangers identity them as a couple without stress?what name(s) would their children bear ?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 12:10am On Sep 22, 2012
ifyalways: Would it make any sense to have Mr chima and mrs winter as a couple?
How would strangers identity them as a couple without stress?[size=18pt]what name(s) would their children bear ?[/size]

that is a good question.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: 1. I believe your husband did the right thing.. I mean why should he be part of something he does not support or condone..
[size=18pt]2. I don't see why or how changing a females surname to the husbands denotes to keeping the woman in property mode. Why did you make that statement ? [/size]
3. A union between a man and his woman makes them ONE unit and the man being the head of the family it is only natural for the woman to take after the man's surname..

so you don't think it is means to "mark property" or claim a female into a family?
lets not forget the reason for last names to begin with.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 12:23am On Sep 22, 2012
^^^^ So you only worried bout the kids identity? Btw any man that would let his kids have any other surname besides his should be slapped back to his senses..

@darkskin why you not using your other username anymore.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: ^^^^ So you only worried bout the kids identity? Btw any man that would let his kids have any other surname besides his should be slapped back to his senses..

@darkskin why you not using your other username anymore.

lol so if the woman wants him to have her surname and he obliged..would that make him a sucker? tongue

@username question,
i just wanted to start over.

the "msdarkskin" name has been through to much ish and things im not proud of.
to you i am sure it makes no sense but for me it a necessary move.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 12:35am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

so you don't think it is means to "mark property" or claim a female into a family?
I know but I wanted to know if she meant it as in servitude mode. Because I don't see anything wrong with us marking our territory and I also don't see why my woman should..

If she meant servitude mode then its a different ball game
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 12:51am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

lol so if the woman wants him to have her surname and he obliged..would that make him a sucker? tongue

@username question,
i just wanted to start over.

the "msdarkskin" name has been through to much ish and things im not proud of.
to you i am sure it makes no sense but for me it a necessary move.
slaps will not do in this scenario because tNot only a sucker but he should be castrated and consider handing the pants over to the woman. angry tongue

@ username as long as you keep making intelligent posts which drew you to me and stays darkskin and no bleaching we ll be fine grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 12:54am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: slaps will not do in this scenario because tNot only a sucker but he should be castrated and consider handing the pants over to the woman. angry tongue

angry

@ username as long as you keep making intelligent posts which drew you to me and stays darkskin and no bleaching we ll be fine grin

lol silly sef. grin grin grin
bleaching never that! dark till i die! cool
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 1:05am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

angry
angry grin

lol silly sef. grin grin grin
bleaching never that! dark till i die! cool
I just love darkskin women.. They usually have everything in the right proportions tongue..
Do you cook?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 3:06am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: angry grin

I just love darkskin women.. They usually have everything in the right proportions tongue..
Do you cook?

LOL WTF? light skin women don't have proportions too?

and yes i cook. y? tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:42am On Sep 22, 2012
Yall need to get a room. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:45am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:
Well I don't know about all of the homosexuality stuff as I am straight.
But I believe love is love. You don't even have to be married to be happy or to work out much less change your last name.

I respect most cultures but in my opinion and as far as I am concerned, my keeping or changing my name won't determine how we connect as a couple therefore it is irrelevant.

That's common sense but some people actually had debates offline about the surname thing. I was like children in Somalia dying of lack of rice and folks debating over surnames
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:47am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: 1. I believe your husband did the right thing.. I mean why should he be part of something he does not support or condone..
2. I don't see why or how changing a females surname to the husbands denotes to keeping the woman in property mode. Why did you make that statement ?

Answer to number 2...this is what the MEN SAID...they said it is a way that a woman can be tied to her husband therefore she is HIS PROPERTY. undecided undecided undecided

Answer to number 3....the man is the head of the house has nothing to do with her taking his name naturally if it was natural then women wouldn't have opposition with taking their husband's surname. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:49am On Sep 22, 2012
ifyalways: Would it make any sense to have Mr chima and mrs winter as a couple?
How would strangers identity them as a couple without stress?what name(s) would their children bear ?

Believe it or not...there are couples with two different names and their marriages last longer than many couples with the same surname and the children usually have the father's surname or the mother's hyphenated surname.

You can identify them by their birth name and what they look like. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:49am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

Hmm.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:52am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: I know but I wanted to know if she meant it as in servitude mode. Because I don't see anything wrong with us marking our territory and I also don't see why my woman should..

If she meant servitude mode then its a different ball game

Marking your territory is the same as claiming something as property. A woman having your surname doesn't and won't keep another man from dabbling in your "property".

As a woman...I wouldn't want my husband to claim me as property or his territory as if I am an asset or commodity. It is the same as a slave owner saying brand the slaves so people can recognize who they belong to.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 8:43am On Sep 22, 2012
So do children taking up their parents surname mark them as property?

All this talk just sidesteps the main issue and creates unnecessary tension where there does not need to be.

If a couple love themselves and live in harmony, if their culture allows them to change name to whatever who cares what they answer to?

Abeg let's leave matter for Matthias, we have better things to think about.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Yall need to get a room. undecided undecided undecided

tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Marking your territory is the same as claiming something as property. A woman having your surname doesn't and won't keep another man from dabbling in your "property".

As a woman...I wouldn't want my husband to claim me as property or his territory as if I am an asset or commodity. It is the same as a slave owner saying brand the slaves so people can recognize who they belong to.

Gbam!!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 22, 2012
Lord_Reed: So do children taking up their parents surname mark them as property?

All this talk just sidesteps the main issue and creates unnecessary tension where there does not need to be.

If a couple love themselves and live in harmony, if their culture allows them to change name to whatever who cares what they answer to?

Abeg let's leave matter for Matthias, we have better things to think about.

My point exactly.
Its the love that counts not the name. smiley
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 1:09pm On Sep 22, 2012
Lord reed.....

You dont run nothing.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 1:20pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Answer to number 2...this is what the MEN SAID...they said it is a way that a woman can be tied to her husband therefore she is HIS PROPERTY. undecided undecided undecided
well sorry but MEN with those mentality are ignorants and know no better.. You can't refer to your woman or wife as PROPERTY as in something you buy off the street.. human beings are above that. A woman becomes a helper and an extension of the man when they become ONE UNit and is equal to a man.. Any sane and sensible man knows that Looking at your woman as a property means you look at yourself as a property as well. Not smart!!!

Answer to number 3....the man is the head of the house has nothing to do with her taking his name naturally if it was natural then women wouldn't have opposition with taking their husband's surname. undecided undecided undecided
Yes it is.. Any woman having an issue indicates that consciously or subconciously they still see themselves as separate from the man. But the reality is that once the two come together they become as ONE.. That's what marriage is about. If it wasn't then what's the reason for both to live under the same roof.. because if it was about just sex and babies then all we had to do was stay at our separate abodes and call each other for boo.Ty calls when the need arises..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 1:41pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

There is nothing wrong with marking or claiming something as property.. its the intent behind it that counts. It is human nature to claim,mark and fight for the things that we love and cherish.. you don't claim something you hate or have a disdain for.. As such if you are maltreating something you own or have a stake in then you dont love or cherished it in the first place.. Any man that maltreats his woman that he thinks is supposedly his " property" never loved her I'm the first place.. Or maybe the Love waned. tongue.. No one treats the things and people they love badly..

your analogy is wrong mami. Slave owners maltreats their slaves and dehumanize out of hate and disdain and not Love..

Btw I don't see why a female should think and compare themselves to a commodity just because of us marking our territory..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 2:15pm On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: well sorry but MEN with those mentality are ignorants and know no better.. You can't refer to your woman or wife as PROPERTY as in something you buy off the street.. human beings are above that. A woman becomes a helper and an extension of the man when they become ONE UNit and is equal to a man.. Any sane and sensible man knows that Looking at your woman as a property means you look at yourself as a property as well. Not smart!!!
Yes it is.. Any woman having an issue indicates that consciously or subconciously they still see themselves as separate from the man. But the reality is that once the two come together they become as ONE.. That's what marriage is about. If it wasn't then what's the reason for both to live under the same roof.. because if it was about just sex and babies then all we had to do was stay at our separate abodes and call each other for boo.Ty calls when the need arises..

I disagree with your response to number 2 because I know several women who have kept their father's surname as an honor to their late fathers and they love and respect their marriage to the core. I even asked the husbands how did they feel and they were like it is just a surname and I respect her decision to keep the father surname and all of the children has HIS SURNAME because both agreed PRIOR to marriage.

I have an African friend who is married to an African woman and they both have different surnames and the children has hyphenated surname of both parents. They have been married for 22 years. Don't look like they are living as two people to me.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2012
The whole purpose of this thread originally was because some people offline had the nerves to debate me saying that culture/expectation has a lot to do with surname upon marriage. They said Africans are the most cultural upholders in the world....then I said if that is so then why are 20 of the Africans I know that DO NOT LIVE IN AMERICA have different surnames and have been married LONGER THAN YOU AND I PUT TOGETHER?

So I wanted to see if people are following the surname thing because of how they were perceived culturally by their families or it is something that they want to do thinking that it will solidify the marriage?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 2:20pm On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: Slave owners maltreats their slaves and dehumanize out of hate and disdain and not Love..

Btw I don't see why a female should think and compare themselves to a commodity just because of us marking our territory..

Some slave owners treated their slaves better than some husbands have treated their wives. Don't lie. It doesn't matter how you spin it....you know damn well many of you men view your wives as commodity. The moment a man say that she is to be submissive and subservient to me turn into a boss/employee aura.

Just like you said...husband and wife become one...how is the man the head if the wife is one with him? A person can't be the head and equal to those beneath him. It is like trying to chew and swallow at the same time.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

LOL WTF? light skin women don't have proportions too?
" most" endowed black women do I just think iMO that darkskin women fits the rod better. wink

and yes i cook. y? tongue
well good cuz one I have a high metabolism and love to eat and now know our kids won't go hungry. tongue . what's your favorite food and recipe..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: " most" endowed black women do I just think iMO that darkskin women fits the rod better. wink

well good cuz one I have a high metabolism and love to eat and now know our kids won't go hungry. tongue . what's your favorite food and recipe..

Kim Kardashian isn't Black and she is more endowed then some of the Black women regardless of skin color.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Evidence Of Oreri (ora-eri)People Of Anambra State Being Igala By Ancestry / What Does Haruna Mean? / Ise Logun Ise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.