Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka (31357 Views)

The Nigerian Nation Against General Buhari, By Wole Soyinka / Jonathan’s Igbo Internet Warriors Are A Disgrace To Humanity By C. Don Adinuba / Bringbackjonathan2015: The Wages Of Impunity By Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by kolaoloye(m): 3:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Ile-Ife:
To such a degree has Religion fueled conflict, complicated politics, retarded social development and impaired human relations across the world, that one is often tempted to propose that Religion is innately an enemy of Humanity, if not indeed of itself a crime against Humanity. Certainly it cannot be denied that Religion has proved again and again a spur, a motivator, and a justification for the commission of some of the most horrifying crimes against humanity, despite its fervent affirmations of peace. Let us however steer away from hyperbolic propositions and simply settle for this moderating moral imperative: that it is time that the world adopt a position that refuses to countenance Religion as an acceptable justification for, excuse or extenuation of - crimes against humanity.

While it should be mandatory that states justify their place as members of a world community by educating their citizens on the entitlement of religion to a place within society, and the obligations of mutual acceptance and respect, it should be deemed unacceptable that the world is held to ransom for the uneducated conduct of a few, and placed in a condition of fear, apprehension, leading to a culture of appeasement. There are critical issues of human well-being and survival that deserve the undivided attention of leaders all over the world. Let us recall that it is not anti-islamists who have lately desecrated and destroyed - and with such fiendish self-righteousness - the tombs of Moslem saints in Timbuktoo, most notoriously the mausoleum of the Imam Moussa al-Khadin, declared a world heritage under the protection of UNESCO and accorded pride of place in African patrimony . The orientation – backed by declarations - of these violators leaves us with a foreboding that the invaluable library treasures of Timbuktoo may be next.

The truth, alas, is that the science fiction archetype of the mad scientist who craves to dominate the world has been replaced by the mad cleric who can only conceive of the world in his own image, proudly flaunting Bond’s Double-0-7 credentials – Licensed to Kill. The sooner national leaders and genuine religious leaders understand this, and admit that no nation has any lack of its own dangerous loonies, be they known as Ansar-Dine of Mali, or Terry Jones of Florida, the earlier they will turn their attention to real issues truly deserving human priority. These cited clerics and their ilk are descendants of the ancient line of iconoclasts of Islamic, christian and other religious moulds who have destroyed the antecedent spirituality and divine emblems of the African peoples over centuries. Adherents of those African religions, who remain passionately attached to their beliefs, all the way across the Atlantic – in Brazil and across other parts of Latin America – have not taken to wreaking vengeance on their presumed violators in far off lands.
These emulators are still at work on the continent, most devastatingly in Somalia, with my own nation Nigeria catching up with mind-boggling rapidity and intensity. Places of worship are primary targets, followed by institutes of education. Innocent humanity, eking out their miserable livelihood, are being blown to pieces, presumably to relieve them of their misery. Schools and school pupils are assailed in religion fueled orgies, measured, deliberate and deadly. The hands of the clock of progress and social development have been arrested, then reversed in widening swathes of the Nigerian landscape. As if the resources of the nation were not already stretched to breaking point, they must now also be diverted to anticipating the consequences – as in numerous nations around the world – that would predictably follow the cinematic obscenities of a new entrant into the ranks of religious denigrators, who turns out – irony of ironies - to have originated from the African continent.

In sensible families, while every possible effort is made to smooth the passage of children through life, children are taught to understand that life is not a seamless robe of many splendours, but prone to the possibility of being besmirched by the unexpected, and unpredictable. A solid core of confidence in one’s moral and spiritual choices is thus sufficient to withstand external assaults from sudden and hostile forces. That principle of personality development is every bit as essential as the education that inculcates respect for the belief systems and practices of others. The most intense ethical education, including severe social sanctions, has not eradicated material corruption, exploitation, child defilement and murders in society, not even deterrents such as capital punishment. How then can anyone presume that there shall be no violations of the ideal state of religious tolerance to which we all aspire, or demand that the world stand still, cover its head in sackcloth and ashes, grovel in self-abasement or else prepare itself for earthly pestilence for failure to anticipate the occasional penetration of their self ascribed carapace of inviolability.

It is time to demand a sense of proportion, and realism. Communication advance has made it possible for both good and evil to transcend boundaries virtually at the speed of light, and for the spores of hatred to travel just as fast, and as widely as the seeds of harmony. The world should not continue to acquiesce in the brutal culture of extremism that demands the impossible - control of the conduct of millions in their individual spheres, under different laws, usages, cultures and indeed – degrees of sanity.

What gives hope is the very special capacity of man for dialogue, and that arbiter is foreclosed, or endures interminable postponements as long as one side arrogates to itself the right to respond to a pebble thrown by an infantile hand in Papua New Guinea with attempts to demolish the Rock of Gibraltar. I use the word ‘infantile’ deliberately, because these alleged insults to religion are no different from the infantile scribble we encounter in public toilets, the product of infantilism and retarded development. We have learnt to ignore, and walk away from them. They should not be answered by equally infantile responses that are however incendiary and homicidal in dimension, and largely directed against the innocent, since the originating hand is usually, in any case, beyond reach. With the remorseless march of technology, we shall all be caught in a spiral of reprisals, tailored to wound, to draw virtual blood. The other side responds with real blood and gore, also clotting up the path to rational discourse. What we are witnesses to in recent times is that such proceeding is being accorded legitimacy on the grounds of religious sensibility. It is pathetic to demand what cannot be guaranteed. It is futile to attempt to rein in technology: the solution is to use that very technology to correct noxious conceptions in the minds of the perpetrators of abuse, and educate the ignorant.

I speak as one from a nation whose normal diet of economic disparity, corruption, marginalization, ethnic and political cleavages has been further compounded by the ascendancy of religious jingoism. It is a lamentable retrogression from the nearly forgotten state of harmonious coexistence that I lived and enjoyed as a child. One takes consolation in the fact that some of us did not wait to sound warnings until the plague of religious extremism entered our borders. Our concerns began and were articulated as a concern for others, still at remote distances. Now that the largest black habitation on the globe has joined the club of religious terror under the portentous name, Boko Haram – which means ‘The Book is Taboo’ - we can morally demand help from others, but we only find them drowning in the rhetoric and rites of anger and/or contrition. Today it is the heritage and humanity of Timbuktoo. And tomorrow? The African continent must take back Mali – not later but - right now. The cost of further delay will be incalculable, and devastating.

The spiral of reprisals now appears to have been launched, what with the recent news that a French editor has also entered the lists with a fresh album of offensive cartoons. To break that spiral, there must be dialogue of frank, mature minds. Instant, comprehensive solutions do not exist, only the arduous, painstaking path of dialogue, whose multi-textured demands are not beyond the innovative, as opposed to the emotive capacity, of cultured societies. So let that moving feast of regional dialogues – which was inaugurated by former President Khatami of Iran in these very chambers – be reinforced, emboldened, and even-handed. The destination should be a moratorium, but for this to be strong and enduring, it must be voluntary, based on a will to understanding and mental re-orientation, not on menace, self-righteous indictments and destructive emotionalism. Perhaps we may yet rescue Religion from its ultimate indictment: conscription into the ranks of provable enemies of Humanity.

Wole Soyinka
Sept. 21, 2012, United Nations Headquarters, New York.

http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/unifeed/2012/09/un-culture-of-peace/

It is well.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by OYINBOGOJU(m): 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2012
Legend Fela has spoken about it 1 Millionth times....

One more way that proved Fela is a Prophet.

Religion is a crime against humanity
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by larride(m): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2012
Signs of the END TIME. Repent
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:27pm On Sep 24, 2012
Ile-Ife:

The truth, alas, is that the science fiction archetype of the mad scientist who craves to dominate the world has been replaced by the mad cleric who can only conceive of the world in his own image, proudly flaunting Bond’s Double-0-7 credentials – Licensed to Kill. The sooner national leaders and genuine religious leaders understand this, and admit that no nation has any lack of its own dangerous loonies, be they known as Ansar-Dine of Mali, or Terry Jones of Florida,

This part is politically correct junk.

As far as I am aware, Terry Jones has not killed or demanded with substantial authority for others to kill anybody.

Lets call a spade a spade. The vast majority of people that flash their Licence to Kill are followers of Islam. Lets not be politically correct about it, lets point the finger where it belongs by naming the moronic clerics that instruct killings but yet are revered or respected by a significant proportion of people in their homeland and by followers of their religion, without other islamic clerics publicly denouncing or challenging them.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 24, 2012
Willzkid: I don hear, so what is IFA WORSHIP?
science?
You must have been misinformed by the posts made by the ENEMIES OF GOD. Read the article and you'll discover that it's a good argument against UNCHECKED DESTRUCTION CAUSED BY RELIGIOUS FANATICISM. EXTREMISM is the operative word not conservative religion.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Laryokeke: 3:35pm On Sep 24, 2012
i have gotten tired of responding to Nairaland posts becuase it seems most people just posit their malformed opinions and respond to any form of opposition with noxious bigotry. however, seeing my own professor speak my mind, i just couldnt pass without dropping a few words in applause. Wole, i do not entirely agree that religion is the main cause of evil in the world, but boy oh boy, you know how to use words and you will always find me on your list of die hard fans!

as for the opinions you tendered, i would say that you are simply tendering your own view of life, from an atheist's view and therefore advertising your own religion, which is also mine. Religion has always been around and i believe it is impossible to eradicate it totally-not with the new converts being garnered by christian and moslem communities and so the least i can do is keep mute and share my opinion when it is needed.

all the same, i respect your easy command of the queen's language, and fearfully venerate your person.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 3:37pm On Sep 24, 2012
sounds like the man is trying to eliminate the competition
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

Lets call a spade a spade. The vast majority of people that flash their Licence to Kill are followers of Islam...

for real?
was the born again christian american president (who regularly spoke to God) that invade iraq under false pretences killing, maiming, rap.ing thousands of people a follower of Islam too
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Josephchuks: 3:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
Since violence is integral part of Islam and Samsudeen a minister in GEJ cabinet was
quoted as saying ''Nigeria is the world's most christian populated Muslim nation,one is then forced to say that Nigeria will NEVER KNOW PEACE.My people continue to embrace evil and what it comes with. Can anyone help me explain this please.I want to know the difference between Satan and evil? Also can someone educate me if it is evil to take another man's life,destroy his property. Is it evil to kill innocent worshipers in their tens and hundreds? Also when a belief or religion teaches you to kill,destroy and be received gloriously in paradise for killing for Allah,what does this stand for,good or evil? The problem of humanity round the world is not religion but ISLAM. I have said it before and I will say it again. Islam is satanic and will continue to fight the world peace order. Unfortunately,some film makers are being humiliated,killed and intimidated for been that bold enough to condemn Islam. HELL WITH ISLAM and there will be peace the world over.

2 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

for real?
was the born again christian american president (who regularly spoke to God) that invade iraq under false pretences killing, maiming, rap.ing thousands of people a follower of Islam too

You are fooool!

Because he was born again and regularly spoke to God means he attacked in the name of God?

Try again with moronic excuses!

4 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by gbadexy(m): 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: Buddhism is mainly practised in china,singapore,taiwan,srilanka,mongolia and you will never hear of a buddhist terrorist organisation spreading terror or killing people,
Hinduism is mainly practised in india and you will never hear that there is a hindu terrorist organisation spreading terror
Christianity is mainly practised in vatican city,brazil,mexico,argentina and venezuela,but you will never hear of a christian terrorist organization spreading terror
Islam is mainly practised in saudi arabia,iraq,iran,somalia and pakistan,Terror and violence is their forte.
Christians are hypocrites not after truth. I prefer the firm and sometimes violent muslims to gentleman slow poison hypocrite.
I always ask a simple question, was there anything like arab aggression to the west and isreal before 1947 and was there terrorism? Wasn't arab hostility and emergence of terror groups as a result of the evacuation of the palestinians from there lands by america?
I wonder if many christians can get their heads out of their butt to think and reflect.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
Religion has to go ya all are ranting. What of the good things Religion has brought? Christianity has changed hardened criminals and lost souls back to fully reformed people. It has blessed and imparted millions of lives around the world. I know people who would have turned out worse not for the godly teaching of obeidience,love,care that Christianity teach against hatred,intolerance that had perverted the world. I believe Religion is designed to be peaceful and lead us to God.It was meant to make us become godly but it has been used for selfish reasons in ammasing wealth via titting and self aggrandizement on path of Christianity. Also as a tool for violence,killing and terrorism on Islam angle. We should try get back and look inward as we shall all give account in the judgement day. When i watch news,i see ignorance,violence displayed by not mature but under-aged boys;burning and destroying properties in the name of protests. A world ruled by anger,hatred,resentment,unforgiveness wil surely collapse. Let's preach peace,self respect,dialogue. We need to dialogue and agree to disagree.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bokohalal(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
Joseph chuks: Since violence is integral part of Islam and Samsudeen a minister in GEJ cabinet was
quoted as saying ''Nigeria is the world's most christian populated Muslim nation,one is then forced to say that Nigeria will NEVER KNOW PEACE.My people continue to embrace evil and what it comes with. Can anyone help me explain this please.I want to know the difference between Satan and evil? Also can someone educate me if it is evil to take another man's life,destroy his property. Is it evil to kill innocent worshipers in their tens and hundreds? Also when a belief or religion teaches you to kill,destroy and be received gloriously in paradise for killing for Allah,what does this stand for,good or evil? The problem of humanity round the world is not religion but ISLAM. I have said it before and I will say it again. Islam is satanic and will continue to fight the world peace order. Unfortunately,some film makers are being humiliated,killed and intimidated for been that bold enough to condemn Islam. HELL WITH ISLAM and there will be peace the world over.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by estheta: 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2012
The Prof has spoken well. Religion is one's way of reaching his or her supreme. Now this is supposed to be personal and very peaceful regardless of what another thinks of you, but organised religion have complicated issues. The bible is now what Christians should abide by no longer Christ's message of Love. The qouran is now what muslims should abide by no longer Muhamed's message of one God. The decisions of religious leaders now rule the souls of worshippers all over the world instead of the Supreme. Organised religion rounded up Jesus and killed him but of course he knew that was exactly what they would do. Organised religion is gradually killing the souls of it's followers and they don't know it. Open ur spiritual eyes my people. One love.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
gbadexy:
Christians are hypocrites not after truth. I prefer the firm and sometimes violent muslims to gentleman slow poison hypocrite.
I always ask a simple question, was there anything like arab aggression to the west and isreal before 1947 and was there terrorism? Wasn't arab hostility and emergence of terror groups as a result of the evacuation of the palestinians from there lands by america?
I wonder if many christians can get their heads out of their butt to think and reflect.

You are a person!

Go and read your history books before opening your mouth like a buffoon again.

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by F00028: 3:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are fooool!

Because he was born again and regularly spoke to God means he attacked in the name of God?

Try again with moronic excuses!

u be bigger mu.mu if you think all those dead, maimed and ravaged people care in whose name they were attacked.

can't a man so close to the christian God receive better counsel?

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2012
F00028:

u be bigger mu.mu if you think all those dead, maimed and ravaged people care in whose name they were attacked.

can't a man so close to the christian God receive better counsel?

You are a fuctard!

Did he attack in the name of God? Foool!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bokohalal(m): 3:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
Joseph chuks: Since violence is integral part of Islam and Samsudeen a minister in GEJ cabinet was
quoted as saying ''Nigeria is the world's most christian populated Muslim nation,one is then forced to say that Nigeria will NEVER KNOW PEACE.My people continue to embrace evil and what it comes with. Can anyone help me explain this please.I want to know the difference between Satan and evil? Also can someone educate me if it is evil to take another man's life,destroy his property. Is it
evil to kill innocent worshipers in their tens and hundreds? Also when a belief or religion teaches you to kill,destroy and be received gloriously in paradise for killing for Allah,what does this stand for,good or evil? The problem of humanity round the world is not religion but ISLAM. I have said it before and I will say it again. Islam is satanic and will continue to fight the world peace order. Unfortunately,some film makers are being humiliated,killed and intimidated for been that bold enough to condemn Islam. HELL WITH ISLAM and there will be peace the world over.

Christians were also once promised earthly and heavenly rewards if they fought the 'mohammedans' in the 'holy land' of Jerusalem.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
bokohalal:

Christians were also once promised earthly and heavenly rewards if they fought the 'mohammedans' in the 'holy land' of Jerusalem.

By whom?

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by gbadexy(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

You are a person!

Go and read your history books before opening your mouth like a buffoon again.
Who is this bloody bas.tard?
Son of a basta.rd!
What do you know of history, why don't you point out facts instead of showing your ignorance, slow poison gentleman christian.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Audukaya: 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2012
Soyinka you look like an informed person but your notion on religion is loopsided.who ignite the recent violence across the glove? A christian ofcourse.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
gbadexy:
Who is this bloody bas.tard?
Son of a basta.rd!
What do you know of history, why don't you point out facts instead of showing your ignorance, slow poison gentleman christian.

You are a person!

Mooron! So it is only after 1947 that Arabs became aggressive?

Cretinous product of a failed education system speaking from his anus!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by AjanleKoko: 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

By whom?

The Pope, Pope Urban II.
Impoverished knights and noblemen rushed to the 'defence' of Jerusalem in the Second Crusade. At the end of the day, the nobles, led by Godfrey of Bouillion, Robert of Normandy, and Robert of Flanders, divided up the Holy Land between themselves.

The Europeans made a habit of slaughtering both Jews as well as Saracens in those crusades.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The Pope, Pope Urban II.
Impoverished knights and noblemen rushed to the 'defence' of Jerusalem in the Second Crusade. At the end of the day, the nobles, led by Godfrey of Bouillion, Robert of Normandy, and Robert of Flanders, divided up the Holy Land between themselves.

The Europeans made a habit of slaughtering both Jews as well as Saracens in those crusades.

I guessed as much: One man?

It was not in some Holy book?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by gbadexy(m): 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
Hey gay.amite let me take you to school from my previous post.
I have often read comments on NL about why
it appears that most terrorist organizations are
islamic affiliated and I want to try and give a
reasonable response to those assertions.
Before 1930 during the relocation of the jews
on palestinian land, the arabs were not
aggressive and intolerant to their neighbors.
The change in the attitude appears to be
perceived injustice done to the palestinians by
the americans in settling the jews on their land
and turning them to refugees in their own land
based on some obscure tale of 1500 years ago.
During those early occupation, there were
reports of massive isreali aggression on the
palestinians with killing of even pregnant
women and seizing of their villages. The leader
of the assault was menachem begin, he was
declared a TERRORIST and wanted for war
crime but he later became isreals prime
minister. Here is a link to details of his terror
gang and the initiator of terrorism in the
middle east. www.palestineremembered.com/
Acre/Famous-Zionist-Quotes/Story703.html
He and shamir waged terror on british and
palestinians during world war two and was
wanted by the british authority as a terrorist
while he and his partner were famous for
civilian massacre. Visit DEIR YASSIN for details.
As a result of the perceived injustice done to
the palestinians by the isreali backed by
america, several arab countries attacked isreal
in 1973 but were defeated by the isrealis that
have sophisticated american weapons.
That has being the genesis of the hatred of the
americans by the arab who see them as
oppressors. So what happened was the
emergence of militant organizations fighting
against oppression in palestinia not unlike the
militants in nigeria's niger delta region. Such
groups call themselves freedom fighters while
the opposition calls them terrorist.
The major issue seems to be about land and
not about religion and as the arabs are
predominantly muslims, such terror groups
formed by them would have islamic coloration
while it is purely a poltical radical pressure
group.
Also, religious sentiments are exploited by
these groups and they mislead gullible devoted
muslims into believing their political struggle is
a religious one so as to have willing followers.
History does repeat itself and I read about
great generals both in nigeria and abroad
reading military history.
Such religious manipulation has being in
existence since the medieval era where the
POPE controls the kings in europe by
withdrawing his bishops from a kingdom
leading to revolt by the superstitious populace
who believed they won't go to heaven if they
die and the priests do not perform burial rites
for them. They cannot also wed or christen
their children also, so as the people revolt, the
monarchs defer to the pope and the
excommunication is reversed.
Also, when the pope noticed the rise in the
spread of islam and its territories, fearing for
loss of influence, he called for volunteers to free
God's city ; jerusalem from the muslims and
that those that die are promised automatic
admission into heaven, not unlike what these
terror groups tell simple minded devoted
people.
So my point is that these terror groups have
political ideology which they implement by
using religion which they know people are
sentimental about.
That is the reason why religion was banned in
communist russia and described as the opium
of the people due to the way the religious
leaders were manipulating people with it.
Prophet mohammad that is being insulted by
some ignorant people expressly cautioned
against excesses and preaches moderation in
praying, fasting and everything. He was known
to have cautioned someone reported to pray
and read the the whole Quran every night on
moderation[muslims that disagree should go to
index in Quran and look for
moderation,explanation would be at the foot
notes].
So we as enlightened people should be able to
be objective and enlighten others instead of
preaching hate like the terrorists.

5 Likes

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by danjalingo: 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
fittty: Pls translate this to english for me undecided
go to school!
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by Sagamite(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2012
gbadexy: Hey gay.amite let me take you to school from my previous post.
I have often read comments on NL about why
it appears that most terrorist organizations are
islamic affiliated and I want to try and give a
reasonable response to those assertions.
Before 1930 during the relocation of the jews
on palestinian land, the arabs were not
aggressive and intolerant to their neighbors.
The change in the attitude appears to be
perceived injustice done to the palestinians by
the americans in settling the jews on their land
and turning them to refugees in their own land
based on some obscure tale of 1500 years ago.
During those early occupation, there were
reports of massive isreali aggression on the
palestinians with killing of even pregnant
women and seizing of their villages. The leader
of the assault was menachem begin, he was
declared a TERRORIST and wanted for war
crime but he later became isreals prime
minister. Here is a link to details of his terror
gang and the initiator of terrorism in the
middle east. www.palestineremembered.com/
Acre/Famous-Zionist-Quotes/Story703.html
He and shamir waged terror on british and
palestinians during world war two and was
wanted by the british authority as a terrorist
while he and his partner were famous for
civilian massacre. Visit DEIR YASSIN for details.
As a result of the perceived injustice done to
the palestinians by the isreali backed by
america, several arab countries attacked isreal
in 1973 but were defeated by the isrealis that
have sophisticated american weapons.
That has being the genesis of the hatred of the
americans by the arab who see them as
oppressors. So what happened was the
emergence of militant organizations fighting
against oppression in palestinia not unlike the
militants in nigeria's niger delta region. Such
groups call themselves freedom fighters while
the opposition calls them terrorist.
The major issue seems to be about land and
not about religion and as the arabs are
predominantly muslims, such terror groups
formed by them would have islamic coloration
while it is purely a poltical radical pressure
group.
Also, religious sentiments are exploited by
these groups and they mislead gullible devoted
muslims into believing their political struggle is
a religious one so as to have willing followers.
History does repeat itself and I read about
great generals both in nigeria and abroad
reading military history.
Such religious manipulation has being in
existence since the medieval era where the
POPE controls the kings in europe by
withdrawing his bishops from a kingdom
leading to revolt by the superstitious populace
who believed they won't go to heaven if they
die and the priests do not perform burial rites
for them. They cannot also wed or christen
their children also, so as the people revolt, the
monarchs defer to the pope and the
excommunication is reversed.
Also, when the pope noticed the rise in the
spread of islam and its territories, fearing for
loss of influence, he called for volunteers to free
God's city ; jerusalem from the muslims and
that those that die are promised automatic
admission into heaven, not unlike what these
terror groups tell simple minded devoted
people.
So my point is that these terror groups have
political ideology which they implement by
using religion which they know people are
sentimental about.
That is the reason why religion was banned in
communist russia and described as the opium
of the people due to the way the religious
leaders were manipulating people with it.
Prophet mohammad that is being insulted by
some ignorant people expressly cautioned
against excesses and preaches moderation in
praying, fasting and everything. He was known
to have cautioned someone reported to pray
and read the the whole Quran every night on
moderation[muslims that disagree should go to
index in Quran and look for
moderation,explanation would be at the foot
notes].
So we as enlightened people should be able to
be objective and enlighten others instead of
preaching hate like the terrorists.

You are a person!

Mooron! So it is only after 1947 that Arabs became aggressive?
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bakila: 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2012
Gorrbachev:

if you know the religion guilty of the bolded say, Hay!!!
Christianity it is from Italy to Jerusalem.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by AjanleKoko: 3:59pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

I guessed as much: One man?

It was not in some Holy book?

Holy Book ke.
Though the fellow is right after a fashion; Moslem activism on a global scale started in earnest after the British drove the Ottomans from the Middle East, and a lot of puppet regimes were empowered. Moslems never had widespread access to Western Europe prior to then. The Ottomans ruled a significant portion of Eastern Europe and the Middle East, and was an alternative power to the Christian West back in those days.

Latter-day Moslem activism is by and large a product of Western Imperialism, to be honest.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by bakila: 4:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sagamite:

By whom?
Simply uninformed.
Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by sconsults: 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: Buddhism is mainly practised in china,singapore,taiwan,srilanka,mongolia and you will never hear of a buddhist terrorist organisation spreading terror or killing people,
Hinduism is mainly practised in india and you will never hear that there is a hindu terrorist organisation spreading terror
Christianity is mainly practised in vatican city,brazil,mexico,argentina and venezuela,but you will never hear of a christian terrorist organization spreading terror
Islam is mainly practised in saudi arabia,iraq,iran,somalia and pakistan,Terror and violence is their forte.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron_terror

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism

Buddhism have terrrorist like aum shinkryo cult that are responsible for poison attack in japan metro that killed dozens.buddhist terrorist organisations in burma kill people always.

Hindu terrorist in india carried out the 2007 samijauta express bombings and the 28 september 2008 bombing in western india etc

Christian terrorist group  Manmasi National Christian Army in assam india forces hindus to convert at gunpoint and carry out killings and burning of hindu temples.
In August 2000, a tribal Hindu spiritual leader, Shanti Tripura, was shot dead by about ten guerrillas belonging to the NLFT who said it wanted to convert all people in the state to Christianity. In December 2000, Labh Kumar Jamatia, a religious leader of the state's second largest Hindu group, was kidnapped by the NLFT, and found dead in a forest in Dalak village in southern Tripura. According to police, rebels from the NLFT wanted Jamatia to convert to Christianity, but he refused.A local Marxist tribal leader, Kishore Debbarma, was clubbed to death in Tripura's Sadar (north) by militants belonging to the Biswamohan faction of the NLFT in May 2005.He was dragged away at gunpoint by a group of NLFT militants. His body was found with multiple head injuries in a roadside ditch in the Katabon area.
The Lord's Resistance Army, a cult guerrilla army engaged in an armed rebellion against the Ugandan government, has been accused of using child soldiers and committing numerous crimes against humanity; including massacres, abductions, mutilation, torture, rape, and forced child labour as soldiers, porters, and sex slaves.it is led by Joseph Kony, who proclaims himself the spokesperson of God and a spirit medium, primarily of the "Holy Spirit" which the Acholi believe can represent itself in many manifestations.LRA fighters wear rosary beads and recite passages from the Bible before battle.
Beginning after the Civil War, members of the Protestant-ledKu Klux Klan organization began engaging in arson, beatings, cross burning, destruction of property, lynching, murder, rape, tar-and-feathering, and whipping against African Americans, Jews, Catholics, and other social or ethnic minorities.
They were explicitly Christian terrorist in ideology, basing their beliefs on a "religious foundation" in Christianity. The goals of the KKK included, from an early time on, an intent to "reestablish Protestant Christian values in America by any means possible," and believe that "Jesus was the first Klansman
Etc
All religions have terrorists,please try and study more and dont be so naive.because you are not seeing it doesnt mean it is not happening

1 Like

Re: Religion Against Humanity By Wole Soyinka by owo(m): 4:03pm On Sep 24, 2012
What do you guys read? Is it what is written or what is running in the mind?
W.S did not propose this caption. He clearly stated that "...one is often tempted to propose that Religion is innately an enemy of Humanity, if not indeed of itself a crime against Humanity."

To be tempted to propose is different from proposing. Indeed he goes ahead to state that he seeks the re-establishment of dialogue as a way out of the present logjam, a move that was started by Khatami.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Walks Out Of EFCC Event After Sighting El-Rufai / Farewell, Governor Ambode: A Pictorial Documentary Of Some Of His Achievements / Reps Suspend Buhari’s $22.79bn Loan Consideration Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.