Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,027 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? (10620 Views)

Ambode & Tinubu Commission Mile 12-Ikorodu BRT Extention & New BRT Buses / Oshiomhole Ditches Khakhi Uniform For Designer Suits (Photos) / Uniform Men Brutality On Civilians(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by sleekysol(m): 5:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
i sometimes wonder why uniform men tend to claim staff in buses especially in Lagos is it a legal permission or just a deliberate intimidation?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Biggyd2: 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2012
Will be interesting to know which law permits them not to pay fares, if any!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by berylLOL(f): 7:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
v alwez wondad d same tho..
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by truth4meal(m): 7:03pm On Sep 24, 2012
i tire o...
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by naptu2: 7:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
There is no law that gives them such permission. Indeed, some years ago the service chiefs issued a joint statement stating that servicemen are paid transport allowance and there is no law that gives them the right to demand free rides on commercial buses.

I suspect that it started out as a courtesy given to servicemen by some transporters, but now some servicemen see it as a right. Some transporters also encourage the practice because they believe that it will grant them immunity from arrest (the servicemen will shield them for arrest).

10 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by sleekysol(m): 7:26am On Sep 25, 2012
if it was started as a courtesy then why is it so rampart this days especially in lagos. it doesnt hapen like this in other mega cities in the world

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by naptu2: 8:21am On Sep 25, 2012
The whole courtesy thing occurs around the world. In the US, some diners and other businesses may decide to give free or discounted services to servicemen to show appreciation to the men in uniform for the role they play in safeguarding the country. This is entirely and completely voluntary.

In the 1980s in Nigeria, Okada Air provided discounted services to NYSC corpers as a mark of appreciation for their services to the country.

However, I believe the practice of forcing transporters to provide free services to servicemen is a relic of military rule. During military rule, uniformed personnel thought that they were superior to civilians and could do anything they want. The practice is actually illegal.

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by yuzedo: 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
Dem be "Staff". .! grin
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Pergrace: 4:11pm On Sep 25, 2012
If they are not armed,then the bus conductor should demand for their money oh angry....but if they are armed,abeg your family need you for house. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by methodman(m): 4:11pm On Sep 25, 2012
Fear of the Unknown now....
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by sdiq: 4:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
BABA SUNDAY SHA NA YOUR RIGHT?
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Kslib(m): 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
I think it is the drivers that dont like accepting their money.. What is the need of accepting,when you know they will still collect back their money on the highway,,,,

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by ednut1(m): 4:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
its not free o, cos dey wont pay agbero, cos dem carry staff

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Kolade9(m): 4:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
Me thinks twas to escape police checkpoint fares......
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by emilyone(f): 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
Pergrace: If they are not armed,then the bus conductor should demand for their money oh angry....but if they are armed,abeg your family need you for house. cheesy

Lmao!
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Jyde89: 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
Pure intimidation.
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Adanyebe(m): 4:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
shocked U de craze u wan ask soja for money insyd motor? undecided undecided
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2012
I think this happens only in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
Adanyebe: :oU de craze u wan ask soja for money insyd motor? undecided undecided
You be soldier ? If yes, then come enter ma moto. .
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by locust01(m): 4:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
yuzedo: Dem be "Staff". .! grin
As in confirm staff

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Biggyd2: 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
I once boarded a bus where the driver told everyone in the bus to get down just before he finished loading. Why? A force man entered and the driver told the man point blank that if he didn't get down from his bus, he was not going to move his bus. The policeman sat where he was, so the driver just told everyone to "come down". The driver gave me extra wahala but it was fun watching the face of the policeman. Heard the driver muttering under his breath that "aft a nau, dem no go pay".Not only will some of them not pay, they sometimes lay claim to the outer passenger's seat beside the driver. Imagine waiting for for hours to get a bus, and when you do eventually, you are lucky to get the front seat (which is the most comfortable in many of these buses), then a man in uniform will come to tell you to give it up! No be me pepsin go tell dat kin tin sha.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Lilspicer(f): 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
IGBO WEY I DEY SMOKE DON LEAVE MY MOUTH COME MY EARZ AS I READ DIS..NAIJA WE HAIL THEE
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by mkoabiola: 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
I think it was tinubu dat gave d directive wen he was d govnor.
Howeva,d condutors delibertely refuse to collect money cos
Of d so called agbero and for fear been arrested by egunje takers such as VIO ,lastma n police.
Lagos agbero is d toughest,even some conductors atimes deliberately call uniform men to enta dier vehicle 4 fear of being arrested.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
acidosis™:
I think this happens only in Lagos
yes I think so.its only in lagos such happens.its a shameful thing I must tell you.a uniformed man that is supposed to even pay for others is the one that can't pay all because he is a uniformed man.well they do that only to bus drivers but they can't try that with BRT buses.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2012
locust01: As in confirm staff
grin
locust01: As in confirm staff
As in confirmed grasshoper staff abi?
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by naptu2: 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
mko abiola: I think it was tinubu dat gave d directive wen he was d govnor.
Howeva,d condutors delibertely refuse to collect money cos
Of d so called agbero and for fear been arrested by egunje takers such as VIO ,lastma n police.
Lagos agbero is d toughest,even some conductors atimes deliberately call uniform men to enta dier vehicle 4 fear of being arrested.

The practice existed long before Tinubu became governor. The first time I saw it happen was back when Rasaki was governor.
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by iyaayi(f): 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
An officer in uniform attempted to resist check at a bank's entrance today on account of being 'a staff'!! Of course he was scanned! The point one is trying to make is that they take their excesses everywhere!
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by idowuswap: 4:47pm On Sep 25, 2012
Osewa abi what is ur animal name.are u mad or something why can u join armed forces 2 protect people.then if those people can t render a little help 4 person that cover them.that mean their are bad,so think ur stinking brain b4 u poste 4uk ur ass.
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2012
I think the gesture was only meant towards Police officers before other uniformed personnel took advantage of it, I bearly remember the story, but I know it had to deal with a one time Lagos state governor Mobolaji Johnson, A police officer & a court case, am sure some NLers ll debrief us
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by ismhab(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2012
But why did boko haram officers pay for the transport fare.
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
No law enforcin such as far as i'm concerned..its usually done to intimidate ni jare..worst of all its d low ranking uniformed men dat likes to use such power. Btw, even d drivers don't bother asking just so they could remain in their gud books. (Beht naija i hail thee oh!)
Besides, they need to save that t.fare to buy garri..now dat its price has refused to reduce.
Re: Why Don't Uniform Men Pay Fare In Buses? by Aringon(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Methink it was as a mark of respect for them and to escape Police arrest at checkpoints and all since they know their colleagues are going to be at such checkpoints but the uniform men have taken this furthermore to an extent that, if a conductor do ask them for the fare, they will start intimidating both driver, conductor and other passengers.

I remembered a day we left Ajah bus-stop towards VI and the conductor did ask the MOPOL for the fare and the guy told the conductor that" if he dares ask him anything again, he will stop the bus from going to anywhere" . Mehn I got angry and asked him " is it a privilege or a right for you not to make payment for the services they have rendered you" He was not armed(u know what I mean), when other passengers saw that I was challenging him, they all joined and one of the passengers wanted to highlight in a certain bus-stop, came down and asked him as to why he does not want to pay for his fare. Thank goodness, he went down and ran after the pal and the driver zoomed off. Most of them just put on the uniform(not on duty) but to escape the payment of the fare which is too poor of them and I was surprised also to see one of them pay for his far even with uniform and I said " wow"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Protesters Storm Edo Assembly Over Eletricity Theft Bill, Pelt Speaker's Image / Buhari In Durban, South Africa, To Seek $40 Billion Investments / Nigeria Signs Agreement With Siemens To Increase Grid Capacity To 12,000MW

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.