Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,768 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos (12355 Views)

Eight-Year-Old Girl Tests Positive To Lassa Fever In Gombe / Late Dr Adadevoh's Younger Sister Tests Positive To Ebola, Hospitalized / A Female Doctor Commits Suicide After Testing Positive To Hiv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by semid4lyfe(m): 6:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
Lagos State Government has threatened to prosecute and jail any motorist found to be driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, saying that not less than 441 drivers have so far tested positive to marijuana and cocaine usage in the screening recently conducted by the state government.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris who threatened sanctions against erring motorists at a news briefing yesterday, said the state government was not relenting in educating drivers on dangers associated with consumption of alcohol while on the wheels.

According to him, “So far we have screened 2002 drivers with the following results obtained; 781 were found to be driving under the influence of alcohol; 601 were found to be hypertensive; 441 were positive to psychotropic drugs, especially cocaine and marijuana; 940 were screened for visual impairment and 13 percent had to be given special glasses”.

The commissioner said given the grave consequences of driving under such influences, the state government had no option than to invoke section 21, subsection 1 of the state traffic law which prescribes a conviction fine of N100,000 or two years imprisonment or both on the offenders.

Idris lamented that road accidents have become one major cause of deaths in the country, noting that the state government cannot achieve the desired health indices if it ignores the menace of deaths by road accidents.

He said,” Alcohol and substance abuse have been documented as a cause of road traffic accidents and several studies have shown that an intoxicated driver is a danger to himself , his passengers and other road users.”

Idris said a major breakthrough was recently recorded in the sensitisation campaigns in the motor parks against irresponsible driving with a Memorandum of Understanding signed with Guinness Nigeria Plc.

He added that the partnership by both parties is geared towards changing people’s attitude to alcohol to reduce the menace of harmful consumption of alcoholic beverages.

Also speaking, the state commissioner for Transport, Kayode Opeifa lamented the number of accidents recorded mostly over the weekend on Lagos roads caused by excessive drinking by motorists.

He explained that government is focusing on motor parks to make the awareness campaign effective because of its involvement in mass transportation of people to various destinations within and outside the state.

Opeifa explained that the new Road Traffic Law was meant to return sanity and ensure discipline among the road users.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/09/26/441-drivers-test-positive-cocaine-marijuana-lagos/?wt=3

1 Like

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 7:00pm On Sep 26, 2012
Hmmm...are they gonna jail or deport these ones too?
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by mazaje(m): 7:01pm On Sep 26, 2012
Wahala dey be that. . . . grin
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by dridowu: 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
101% in support of lagos govt, EKO ONI BAJE

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by dasparrow: 7:04pm On Sep 26, 2012
@Post

I am not suprised. This is why we have so many car accidents in Nigeria that are just claiming lives anyhow. So what is the government's next step?

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Foxybone(m): 7:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
I HAVE MANY THINGS TO SAY BUT WILL KEPP QUITE....

3 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by abujub(m): 7:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
you made them like that is it not the same govt, due to its

failure
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by k2039: 7:13pm On Sep 26, 2012
[size=14pt]Lagos is setting the pace.
It is a step in the right direction in restoring sanity to road transportation in the state.
The rate of road mishaps will reduce drastically with this development.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by omiobo: 7:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
Hope lagos state govt don build mega prisons? Because every lagosians is under somethin, dem go jail people tire? gringringringrin

6 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by JB789: 7:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ikoyi prisons must be warming up for overpopulation by now. Kirikiri prisons will become a tourist site, especially if they catch 190. Fashola may build more prisons, just like Lucky Dube sang:
"They will build no schools anymore, all they 'll build will be prison prison"

4 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 26, 2012
abujub: you made them like that is it not the same govt, due to its

failure

So you won't own it on yourself not to constitute yourself as a nuisance to the public and yourself because afterall the government didn't provide incentives for your comfort? That is why I like my religion. At the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions. I don't know how people who lament they are suffering but instead of using the money to buy better food or invest in small business, would rather buy psychotic drugs and beer. Height of misplaced priorities!

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Roland17(m): 7:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
Am not surprised!
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
believe me, this is not funny

drunk driving is a major cause of accidents and their fallout - people maimed, people crippled, people killed.

i am fully in support of criminalization of driving under the influence

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by 19naia(m): 7:20pm On Sep 26, 2012
[img][/img]http://www.drug-testing-detox.com/uploads1/prod4/img3_00/000/12397_1292624479.jpg MOST OF THEM DONT WANT TO CHANGE AND DONT CARE AND WOULD RATHER PURCHASE THESE TYPE DRUG CLEARING KITS SO THEY CAN PASS THE DRUG SCREENING AND GO BACK TO DRUGS AND DRIVING
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by destinedtee(m): 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
abujub: you made them like that is it not the same govt, due to its

failure
Sir,you don't have to blame everything on the government.While it is true that our government needs to put one or two things in place,the decision to take alcohol and the likes is strictly personal and a thing of choice.Don't lay that blame on the government sir...Just my personal opinion.Thanks

1 Like

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by SlyIg(f): 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
SPACE FOR SALE PLS!
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by CrazyMan(m): 7:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
This explains a lot. No wonder they drive as though an ancestral deity is after them.

The state government should keep on testing...I'm sure that they're still more mad men on the loose. Members of the Lagos state house of Assembly should also be tested. LASTMA officials too should be tested. KAI and NURWT or whatever their name is must be part of the test.

But whatever decision they come up with...to do with them after the tests, they must not and I repeat they must not deport them to Anambra state. angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 7:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
So!! How do they do the testing?! Being found positive for Marijuana or cocaine is not an offence the last time hecked, but rather possession is.. So the police would be stopping people at random and taking blood samples or what?! This is rubbish at its finest.. Alcohol you can check using the breathelizer machines, but cocaine requires blood testing, blood testing requires consent or a warrant.. How would the government also stop hypertensive drivers?! Does fashola know that even cough syrup is a harzardous drug for drivers?! So how would the police know the difference between a visually impaired driver and a well sighted driver?!

our leaders can sabi reason like plumbers sometimes..

5 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by garripack: 7:33pm On Sep 26, 2012
[size=30pt](441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos)

WAT A JOKE BIG JOKE THE DOCTORS ARE JOKING DAT TOOK DAT TEST...BIG JOKE

Cocaine NA GARRI I LAFF [/size]

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Cyberknight: 7:33pm On Sep 26, 2012
Only 441? Na wa, I thought it would be more than that!! Were danfo drivers tested as well?

1 Like

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by JB789: 7:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
brb
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Kslib(m): 7:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
SlyIg: SPACE FOR SALE PLS!
This goat is for sale..pls

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by klax(m): 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is good move by Lagos Govt but that Doctor is a bit sick and I guess do not know what he is saying that 441 drivers tested positive for cocaine please mr quack doctor pls is "COCAINE GARI OR AGEGE BREAD"? that a whole lot of 441 at a go was tested positive haba Doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!Take it easy oooooo
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by IleIfe2(m): 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2012
afam4eva: Hmmm...are they gonna jail or deport these ones too?

The Anambra deportation is still hurting abi? no vex grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by basisop(m): 7:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
sad
stillwater:

So you won't own it on yourself not to constitute yourself as a nuisance to the public and yourself because afterall the government didn't provide incentives for your comfort? That is why I like my religion. At the end of the day you are responsible for your own actions. I don't know how people who lament they are suffering but instead of using the money to buy better food or invest in small business, would rather buy psychotic drugs and beer. Height of misplaced priorities!

Leave beer out of this!
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
Na these type wey go see flood for Lokoja-Abuja road callam mirage ...

Before you know dem go begin smoke Meth
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by omiobo: 7:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
Okija_juju: So!! How do they do the testing?! Being found positive for Marijuana or cocaine is not an offence the last time hecked, but rather possession is.. So the police would be stopping people at random and taking blood samples or what?! This is rubbish at its finest.. Alcohol you can check using the breathelizer machines, but cocaine requires blood testing, blood testing requires consent or a warrant.. How would the government also stop hypertensive drivers?! Does fashola know that even cough syrup is a harzardous drug for drivers?! So how would the police know the difference between a visually impaired driver and a well sighted driver?!

our leaders can sabi reason like plumbers sometimes..

Hunh!I suspect you. Soon you will be caught
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by mkohagwu(m): 7:54pm On Sep 26, 2012
THIS SPACE IS FOR SALE

2 Likes

Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
If all public office holders especially governors,president and key people in Nigeria Gvt can be as proactive and revolutionary as this guy Fashola,Nigeria will in no time be a world power.
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by stolenstone: 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
omo na to go invest for prison ooo!!! Choi!! Abeg make them privatize d prison sector, I need build one for lagos sharpally
Re: 441 Motorists Test Positive To Cocaine And Marijuana In Lagos by Pray(m): 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
;DI need to start taking bicycle to work ;DI need to start taking bicycle to work

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Asks The Gods: Spiritual Consultation, Getting Solutions To Your Problems / The Dangers Of Lacasera Cream Soda / Amala(yam Flour) Better For Diabetes Than Pounded Yam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.