Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,379 members, 7,800,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? (9731 Views)

In Need Of Partners In Importation of Cars And Car Parts / Overhead Pictures Of Ladipo Car-Parts Market In Lagos / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by luvinhubby(m): 10:35pm On Sep 26, 2012
What factors will determine whether one should go for either new or tokunboh parts in maintaining ones car.
I may go for tokunbo if quality new ones are not available, what about you?
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 26, 2012
luvinhubby: What factors will determine whether one should go for either new or tokunboh parts in maintaining ones car.
I may go for tokunbo if quality new ones are not available, what about you?

It depends on the parts in question. Some items are best replaced with new. Fitting used brakes pads, discs. cylinders,calipers and drums, used shock absorbers and springs, used clutch makes no sense. Safety items like brakes and suspension are especially high-risk items.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by luvinhubby(m): 6:36am On Sep 27, 2012
@Siena
The items you mentioned are the ones mechanics will tell "na tokunboh better pass". Wat can one do?

1 Like

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 27, 2012
luvinhubby: @Siena
The items you mentioned are the ones mechanics will tell "na tokunboh better pass". Wat can one do?

As long as you continue to let your mechanic make ALL decisions pertaining to your car, you'll continue to get bent over, and given the rough end of a pineapple. It's your car, you should be making decisions, not accepting everything your mechanic tells you without questioning. You make yourself easy target, and these mechanics know it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by lukkie(m): 9:40am On Sep 27, 2012
How can someone use a tokunbo brake pad? Haba! That mechanic is a killer. Maybe his name is Tokunbo sha.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by luvinhubby(m): 8:50am On Sep 28, 2012
lukkie: How can someone use a tokunbo brake pad? Haba! That mechanic is a killer. Maybe his name is Tokunbo sha.
As if one does not hear this from these mechanics daily.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 28, 2012
luvinhubby: As if one does not hear this from these mechanics daily.

Then it's up to you to change the way you accept what your mechanic tells you. Man up, and let him know his suggestions are not acceptable. Remember, it's your car, not his, and you're the one paying him.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by lukkie(m): 9:09pm On Sep 30, 2012
Siena:

Then it's up to you to change the way you accept what your mechanic tells you. Man up, and let him know his suggestions are not acceptable. Remember, it's your car, not his, and you're the one paying him.

Or worse still, it's your life he's putting on the line.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by luvinhubby(m): 10:51pm On Sep 30, 2012
But the actual OEM parts are those tokunbo `cos they are the ones that was actually fabricated by the equipment manufacturer. I think they are good but the fear is the fraudulent activities of our local spare parts sellers.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ikenna351(m): 1:10am On Oct 01, 2012
Even though am not a fan of Nigerian mechanics (the clowns among them), I would say they are right for recommending tokunbo parts, over the new ones.

I don't know it all. But this is one of the little i know and will explain it, not to convince anyone, but to prove that little i know.

There is an Igbo adage that says "Ife di mma 'di agwu agwu”, i.e. better things no dey finish. But in Nigeria, its the other way round. Go figure.

The quality of new spark plug you bought 4 years ago, wont be the same that you buy this year. Every year, the qualities of new car spare parts are going down or reducing. If a spark plug you bought that 4 years ago lasted 2 years before it failed, the one you see in the Nigerian markets today wont last more than 6 months.

Yes, the ideal choice is the new spare parts. But I will choose tokunbo parts in Nigeria over new parts in our market.

I buy new spare parts too. But only for the parts that i cant identify the tokunbo from the Nigerian used new parts, in good conditions. If i have my way, i wont have anything to do with new spare parts in Nigerian markets. Buying them is as good as wasting money, knowing i will be going back to replace those same parts, sooner than one would expect. Because they will fail before you even say Jack!

BRAKE PADS:
As far as am concerned, the tokunbo is much better than the fake new ones in Nigerian markets. But, I use new brake pads. Why? So that i wont have to be worried about replacing my brake rotors/discs. The brake pads in our markets are like chalk or biscuit. They wear faster or rapidly, more than rubbing chalk on a smooth surface. The tokunbo or follow-come pads take long time or gradually wear off. Unfortunately, it will make the rotors to wear too faster. Unlike the new ones in our markets that are useless, though it pays off somehow. So, thats why i chose to be replacing the pads often, than use the tokunbo or OEM which will take ages to wear completely, but will gradually take the rotors along when going out. Thats my own reason of using new brake pads. But because my car is manual transmission, i hardly use the brake pads while in motion, due to engine brake, which saves the pads for me. I dont know about other brands, though. But the fact remains that the new or Aftermarket brake pads in Nigeria dont measure upto the quality of the tokunbo pads.

FUEL HOSE:
When i first got my 605 V6 (Nigerian used), i noticed the previous owner replaced part of the fuel supply line on the right bank, with new fuel hose. I knew it was not safe to use such an inferior hose in the engine bay. I decided to change it with tokunbo, which is even more expensive than the new one. But procrastination wouldn't allow me. Until 2 days to my trip to East with the car, this last Easter break, which i would have lost the car because of that hose. I started the car in the morning, left it idling, opened the bonnet, to peep in and see if everything was in place. While i was opening the bonnet, i heard a noise, like water splashing on something, inside the engine bay. I quickly opened it. And there the source of the noise. Fuel was gushing out from that new hose, fuel pouring and washing the cylinder head, tinkling down on the exhaust manifold. We all know what would have happened if i had driven out without opening the bonnet and the exhaust manifold gets hot. Thats how i would have lost that car. Lesson learnt. Heat is their main killer of new fuel hose found in Nigeria market. Once you put them in the engine bay, after a month or so, they will harden and crack. Don't make the same mistake i made. I failed in keeping my Preventative Maintenance preaching on this.

ENGINE MOUNTS, BUSHINGS,ETC:
A mechanic, then at Awka, taught me how to identify a tokunbo engine mounts and bushings, from the useless new ones in our markets. To know a new bushing, bite the rubber part. If its new, the bitten spot will fall off. But if its tokunbo, your teeth wont cut into it, and will even pain you on your teeth. He wanted me to know how not to be deceived by some tokunbo parts sellers that will disguise the new bushings as tokunbo, since the tokunbo cost more than new ones. Even simple rough idling of an engine will kill new engine mounts, if they are used. Rough idling will make your engine to shake or vibrate, and that is enough kill new engine mounts from Nigerian market, unlike the tokunbo.

GENERAL:
I do buy and send Peugeot 505 spare parts for some friends of mine in USA, that own 505 too, since Peugeot left US and Canada in 1991. So they have to source for parts outside North America. Initially, they wanted new parts only (Aftermarkets). But when they received the so called original new parts i bought and sent to them. They were so disappointed. Later, they started asking for the used parts instead. I have bought so many tokunbo parts and sent to them and they liked and prefered them to the new ones. One of them, a close friend, called to my attention to a thread where I was been discussed. He told me they were discussing about Chinese spare parts and Nigeria popped up and i was mentioned and discussed, with regards to the most sub standard inferior spare parts they have ever seen. Unfortunately, are found in Nigerian markets. Below is the thread:

http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2342-interesting/#entry16990

I can go on and on. But the summary is: As far as Nigerian car spare market is concerned, tokunbo parts wins new parts hands down, in terms of quality and durability. Unless you can afford to buy from the car manufacturers or licenced dealerships directly in Nigeiria, if you are lucky they have the parts. Otherwise, if you after quality new parts, source for them outside Nigeria.

Am not trying to convince anyone to start buying Tokunbo parts henceforth, but i needed to explain what i know about the two: new vs Tokunbo. If i have my way, i wont buy anything new car spare parts from our markets. But we have to live with it. It is that bad!

Ikenna.

10 Likes

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ngutor(m): 9:38am On Oct 01, 2012
So is there no possible way to source for genuine brand new spares in the Nigerian market?
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 10:36am On Oct 01, 2012
Ngutor: So is there no possible way to source for genuine brand new spares in the Nigerian market?

There is...what Ikenna is explaining here, is that there are "fake" brand new parts on the market. So unless you're fairly savvy, you wouldn't spot the difference. And there are non-fake brand new parts, which whilst being new, are poorly made.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ngutor(m): 11:17am On Oct 01, 2012
Siena:

There is...what Ikenna is explaining here, is that there are "fake" brand new parts on the market. So unless you're fairly savvy, you wouldn't spot the difference. And there are non-fake brand new parts, which whilst being new, are poorly made.
Thank you oga Siena for that clarification. So how can one source for the genuine-high-quality brand new parts here in Nigeria?
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by ikeyman00(m): 11:21am On Oct 01, 2012
@@@@@

used one leads in naija

i was once dumped in a bush somewhere after otupku junction on my way to abuja over a failed [b]NEW [/b]clutch

the used one wasnt bad at all
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ikenna351(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2012
Ngutor:
Thank you oga Siena for that clarification. So how can one source for the genuine-high-quality brand new parts here in Nigeria?

Don't bother searching, because you wont find any.

But if you can afford to get one at licenced dealership, if they have the part(s) and are ready to sell to you, then you are that lucky.

Ikenna.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ngutor(m): 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ikenna351:

Don't bother searching, because you wont find any.

But if you can afford to get one at licenced dealership, if they have the part(s) and are ready to sell to you, then you are that lucky.

Ikenna.
So all these websites that claim to stock originnal parts are questionable? Have come across at least 2 websites here on nairaland
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ikenna351(m): 12:46pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ngutor:
So all these websites that claim to stock originnal parts are questionable? Have come across at least 2 websites here on nairaland

I dont know if they are questionable or not. They may truly have genuine parts. You will have to take that risk to findout.

Like i earlier said, am not here to discourage anyone from buying new spare parts in Nigeria. I only stated what i know and explained why i said so. As i have noted, i do not know it all.

Ikenna.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ngutor(m): 12:59pm On Oct 01, 2012
Ikenna351:

I dont know if they are questionable or not. They may truly have genuine parts. You will have to take that risk to findout.

Like i earlier said, am not here to discourage anyone from buying new spare parts in Nigeria. I only stated what i know and explained why i said so. As i have noted, i do not know it all.

Ikenna.
Your point is made, understood and appreciated.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by pannyman(m): 5:08pm On Oct 01, 2012
There are still a few decent spare parts shops around. That's the beauty of Nigeria-in the midst of the rot you still find some reason for cheer once in a while.

There is this guy i discovered in Port Harcourt at the spare parts area called Ikoku. It was while i was looking for air-fuel sensors for my car and had almost given up that somebody directed me to him. His name is Amaechi and he even has an internet connection in his air conditioned shop and orders parts from the US.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Ngutor(m): 11:26am On Oct 02, 2012
pannyman: There are still a few decent spare parts shops around. That's the beauty of Nigeria-in the midst of the rot you still find some reason for cheer once in a while.

There is this guy i discovered in Port Harcourt at the spare parts area called Ikoku. It was while i was looking for air-fuel sensors for my car and had almost given up that somebody directed me to him. His name is Amaechi and he even has an internet connection in his air conditioned shop and orders parts from the US.
We seriously need guys like this to bail us out
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by DisGuy: 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
luvinhubby: @Siena

one can use one's common sense abi? do you know how brake pads work?

if your are just changing the head lamp or door knob then you can use second hand

or get your friend outside the country to source one for you
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by DeGenius3(m): 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2012
getting new car parts is somewhat expensive but i don't like tokunbo things.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:20pm On Oct 02, 2012
This is a no brainer.. ITS BRAND NEW anyday, everyday OR NOTHING.. Anybody who tells you that tokunbo is better than brand new is a straight up Charlatan.. Tokunbo that you are praising was once brand new in someone elses car..

The simple key word here should be GENUINE PARTS ONLY!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Immune1(m): 3:37pm On Oct 02, 2012
For tokunbo cars,in most cases it doesn't even make economic sense to use new parts because for these cars,there also is a high influx of low quality aftermarket products.The newer the car,the more likelihood of getting new OEM products.Just imagine replacing a new engine for an old car which was bought for less than a million?Unless the car is a classic,I think its plain stupid!Bottomline,discretion is the key,I won't recommend the use of tokunbo or 'Nigerian aftermarket products' for high pressure and stress impacted vehicle parts,just the same way I won't encourage anyone to get a tokunbo car in the first place.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by chucky234(m): 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2012
The choice between Tokunbo and brand new spare parts depends solely on ones financial muscles and not which is better as you can readily get genuine parts from major dealer shops nationwide.
Brand new genuine parts are very expensive and that's where the tokunbo parts comes in as alternative,tokunbo parts are durable as long as you are able to purchase briefly used ones with the exception of brake pads and few other ones which you cannot risk buying used ones whether briefly used or not.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
Depending on the parts you are changing
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by cecegorz(m): 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
@OP,
Basically, all roadside mechanics will tell you that fairly used parts is better than brand new because of two basic reasons.
1. The OEM parts is 'too costly' in their own estimation, so they advise you get a 'tokumboh' at a cheaper rate.
2. The fake China brand new parts they buy usually fail to deliver.

Common sense tells you that you can't compare a part that it's shelf-life had gone half way to a brand new part, One of the problems we have in Nigeria is that mostly, people prefer to use unschooled road-side mechanics instead of visiting standard auto workshops that will advise them to buy OEMs.

I do get original OEMs from my autoshop whenever i need a replacement, infact Inspired_man actually did an order for complete shocks for me from the US a while back.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 02, 2012
Suspension(shock absorber)for camry is 38000 new compared to tokunbo 8000.

Break pad new is 8500-tokunbo is 4000

Platinum spark plug new is 10000- tokunbo is 2500

With the economic situation of Nigeria one need to define his scale of preference.

Finally since 90 per cent of Nigeria uses tokunbo cars,let service them with tokunbo parts as only politicians and oil thieves can afford brand new vehicles.

1 Like

Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by domack99(m): 5:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
The issue their is that Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) are not working. ow can a tokumbo part be better than a brand new, this can't happen in a country where their regulatory body is working. Most importers of parts in Nigeria go to China and demand a very low quality, quality which are not acceptable in most countries not even in china itself.
Re: New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? by Asiwaju9ja(m): 6:50pm On Oct 02, 2012
domack99: The issue their is that Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON) are not working. ow can a tokumbo part be better than a brand new, this can't happen in a country where their regulatory body is working. Most importers of parts in Nigeria go to China and demand a very low quality, quality which are not acceptable in most countries not even in china itself.

I have had experiences with New and Tokunbo parts. The recent case being my wife's shaft. I bought brand new Shafts for her car and within 3 months, it has started sounding again. This particular one really pained me because there was a tokunbo one(Follow-come) freshly removed from a butchered tokunbo car that I should have bought.
Again d new shafts I bought for my former car was sold with d car no noise. I think it has to do with our sellers who deliberately import substandard products into the country. SON? Which SON? How will dey test for quality for example of a sensor? Or even shaft? Abegi

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Knows How To Get The Innoson IVM G5? / What Is The Meaning Of Slip And Vdc Icons Or Lights And What Does It Do In A Car / Jaguar XJ (X308 And X350)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.