Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,428 members, 7,808,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? (11814 Views)

Pls What Is The Function Of Hood/bonnet Front Cover? / Man Climbs On Bonnet Of Car In Ibadan Over N50 This Morning (Photos) / love-vendor My Car Hood (bonnet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by pannyman(m): 10:25am On Sep 27, 2012
When I was learning to drive, one of the first things I was taught was to check my oil and water first thing in the morning before starting the car. Now that I own my own car I do that three or for times a week. Ideally, it should be everyday.

I have noticed that most drivers take things for granted and never look under the bonnet in the morning with disastrous consequences sometimes. I know how many times my vigilance has paid off, helping me detect leaky poor quality oil filters. Drivers should spare just two minutes and check their coolant and oil levels to avoid rude shocks from their cars.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 27, 2012
I don't lift my hood that regularly. perhaps once a month. I've been a licensed driver since 1988. I bought my first car back inm 1990, a 1986 LHD Peugeot 505 STi. Modern cars don't require as much maintenance as older ones, and the cooling system's actually a sealed one. The level should rtemain constant.

Brake fluid should not be topped up either, as the level only drops when the pads / linings wear. Unless your car burns oil as fast as it consumes gas, it shouldn't need topping up that regularly. Same goes for power steering fluid, and ATF if applicable.

There's only one reason you'd need to lift your hood regularly - to keep the screenwash level topped up, as that's one fluid that DOES run out.

17 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by pannyman(m): 11:29am On Sep 27, 2012
I think over there in the UK where you are sure of the quality of materials and workmanship you don't have to be so careful. I have on three occasions discovered an oil leak,the culprit a poor quality oil filter.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by sholatech(m): 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
And many times when the car goes to mechanics here for repair, they lose some of these containers and you will notice coolant/transmission levels reduced. I have seen coolant low like 3 times after car came back from mechanic and no leakage from radiator
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:30pm On Sep 27, 2012
pannyman: When I was learning to drive, one of the first things I was taught was to check my oil and water first thing in the morning before starting the car. Now that I own my own car I do that three or for times a week. Ideally, it should be everyday.

I have noticed that most drivers take things for granted and never look under the bonnet in the morning with disastrous consequences sometimes. I know how many times my vigilance has paid off, helping me detect leaky poor quality oil filters. Drivers should spare just two minutes and check their coolant and oil levels to avoid rude shocks from their cars.

once every month is alright depending on journeys you do. eg if you do 2 or 3 long journeys per week then you should check oil and water levels every week, if the journeys are local then once every month is a right

the everyday one means something is wrong with your car if its losing oil or cooliant etc on daily basic
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by SamMilla1(m): 7:44pm On Sep 27, 2012
I open mine everyday.
BMW is such a needy demon.
Consumes cold water like a frog.
I dont check oil all the time.
Steering oil gives me sign through the steering wheels.
Petrol shows signs through the gage on the dash and so is oil.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by cecegorz(m): 7:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
Siena: I don't lift my hood that regularly. perhaps once a month. I've been a licensed driver since 1988. I bought my first car back inm 1990, a 1986 LHD Peugeot 505 STi. Modern cars don't require as much maintenance as older ones, and the cooling system's actually a sealed one. The level should rtemain constant.

Brake fluid should not be topped up either, as the level only drops when the pads / linings wear. Unless your car burns oil as fast as it consumes gas, it shouldn't need topping up that regularly. Same goes for power steering fluid, and ATF if applicable.

There's only one reason you'd need to lift your hood regularly - to keep the screenwash level topped up, as that's one fluid that DOES run out.
That's right bro.
I pro'ly lift the hood like once in two months. Even at that, you'll find all fluids level intact.
Today's car engine system is far ahead of what we have in the 80s/90s when folks usually store a gallon of water in the booth.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by ghettodreamz(m): 8:08pm On Sep 27, 2012
pannyman: When I was learning to drive, one of the first things I was taught was to check my oil and water first thing in the morning before starting the car. Now that I own my own car I do that three or for times a week. Ideally, it should be everyday.

I think you are doing a great deal there trying to check 3-times weekly, I used to check those mostly when I think it's a little dusty and there is a need for me to clean it before hitting the road, or whenever I have time to wash at home by myself if I won't be taking to the car wash. As for the oil-filter thing, I think that's the work of the mechanic technician and that happens any time I go in for servicing. I would say you shouldn't have problem having to check more than 2-3 times weekly depending on the type of car you drive, how often you drive and the distance you cover with your car on daily/weekly basis.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by FlyboyZee: 8:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
I just open the hood of my Acura TL like once in every month just to reassure myself that the engine is still intact under the hood and to fetch that smile that comes with satisfaction. The engine always give me joy, I mean I only open the bonnet just to admire the beauty of my engine. That reminds me, let me go and fetch a smile now, sorry, admire my engine.

1 Like

Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
I check my bonnet anytime i desire to use my GWONGWORO. As a non-ASSSSS-LIFTINGGGGG northerner, u must do that on daily basis. Make it a routine to scan ur bonnet against IEDs n WHISPERERS, if not...cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by norrisman: 8:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
once a year during its service and even then its not by me but by the mechanics in the workshop. In Naija I dey check the coolant for my 504 every momo o but when I came to the UK and lived with one of my chairmen who had a 1 year old 323 Ci, the guy never ever popped his hood and I picked up the habit from him to let the workshop guys do all the opening and looking.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by mrrock: 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2012
Every morning.

It's advisable you do so every morning to check that your fans rotating and that oil and coolant/water not leaking. Be warned!
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by dayokanu(m): 8:24pm On Sep 27, 2012
I havent opned my hood in the last 2yrs.

I depend on the dashboard warning signs

2 Likes

Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
i use a brand new Honda pilot jeep,so i dont need to open bonnet.opening of bonnet is for poor people,whose car is malfunctioning.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by bejay766: 8:35pm On Sep 27, 2012
@ Dayokanu. So you don't wash your car engine?
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by kokoye(m): 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2012
The last time it was opened was the day I bought it..the dealer wanted me to see what it looked like.

These cars are computers nowadays ...the dashboard will tell you if the car is thirsty ..or about to sneeze.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by dayokanu(m): 8:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
bejay766: @ Dayokanu. So you don't wash your car engine?

Wash the engine? why would I wash the engine? I dont wash the engine o

Like Kokoye said, my current car, the last time I opened the hood was when i was buying it 2yrs ago

And the opening of hood at dealer sef, I wasnt sure of what I was looking for inside Just to fulfill formalties cheesy grin
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by r231(m): 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2012
dayokanu: I havent opned my hood in the last 2yrs.

I depend on the dashboard warning signs

Dont kno about 2yrs but yea i depend on the dashboard warning signs as well
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 27, 2012
bejay766: @ Dayokanu. So you don't wash your car engine?

I detail my engine, twice a year. By detailing, I mean the engine looks like a brand new one - all the aluminium polished, all plastic and black areas kept mint. You're not advised to wash your engine, get water in the wrong place, and you'll end up with misfires. Or worse, a cooked ECU.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by kokoye(m): 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
So you don't wash your car engine?

Depends on location...if you're always driving on dusty roads.

I let the dealer's car shop deal with that during scheduled maintenance - once a year.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by bejay766: 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
Please cultivate the habit. You will be glad you did. No matter the area you ply, its important your car engine is cleaned up once in a while
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by r231(m): 8:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Cyberknight: 8:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
dayokanu:

Wash the engine? why would I wash the engine? I dont wash the engine o

Like Kokoye said, my current car, the last time I opened the hood was when i was buying it 2yrs ago

And the opening of hood at dealer sef, I wasnt sure of what I was looking for inside Just to fulfill formalties cheesy grin

Same here. I dont believe in washing engines. I havent washed mine since I got the car in 2007. First and last time I ever washed an engine was my old boy's trusted and tested Benz 200, way, way back, and I had issues with the car thereafter. I open my hood from time to time; I confess perhaps once every 3 weeks or so, when I remember to, or when I hear a funny noise, which I must say is almost never. However, I must say that I have had the good fortune to drive cars that stand up to a lot of punishment, like the 505 GTI, etc, so what works for me may not necessarily be best practice.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Evasmil4(m): 8:55pm On Sep 27, 2012
It all depends on the type & age of the car you drive. I bought my 1st car (primera)in 2008 and checkmy hood every day befor i move,if not problems on the way as the car had been use by at least 4 ppl befor me.
I hav used less older car (mazda626) i dont hav to check my hood everyday as it hadly giv problem,may be 2wice a week.
Now i drive a brand new hilux (GREAT WALL) never upon the hood exept i just wanna catch fun, may be once in 3 months befor d next service. (auto workshop does all Bonnet openning) cheesy
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by ojeniyi1: 9:00pm On Sep 27, 2012
U make sense joor
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by Evasmil4(m): 9:10pm On Sep 27, 2012
Yomieluv: i use a brand new Honda pilot jeep,so i dont need to open bonnet.opening of bonnet is for poor people,whose car is malfunctioning.

WELL SAID!! Yomieluv,
use a brand new car & you dont need to check nothing exept ur dash board n service at right time,
use a toks or "fairly use"car then you av to check your bonnet or u land in an avoidable mess.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by kabiesy: 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
I beg look for money and buy correct car jareee.
Re: How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? by lukkie(m): 9:17pm On Sep 27, 2012
I can't imagine the stress of opening the hood everyday. If i'm your neighbor, i'd think you've gone loco.

But how often depends on the age of the car. I open mine like once in 2 months to check the fluids (oil, brake, power steering, windshield washer etc), or whenever i perceive any unpleasant odor, which usually turns out to be a false alarm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Disadvantages Of Over-speeding / Finally, A Made In Nigeria Car - And It's Like The Hummer Jeep! / What Makes You Buy Your First Car(s)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.